Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

WotC just announced their new PT schedule. Not only are they bringing back the Modern Pro Tour, they have also brought back the Team Pro Tour, which will feature Standard, Modern and Legacy!:

The format for Pro Tour 25th Anniversary is Trios Constructed, meaning each player on a registered trio will compete with a legal Standard, Modern, and Legacy deck for this event.
    Edit: removed the part about Team Constructed PTQs at Team Constructed GPs; WotC just announced the Sunday PTQs at Team Constructed GPs will be Team Limited instead of Team Constructed (=T2+Modern+Legacy).

Source: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...lds-2017-07-19
    Last edited by Julian23; 07-19-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

Exciting but nervous, I've been of the opinion legacy has been allowed to exist as it has because it isn't a pro tour (how modern was handled when it was a PT format affirmed that a bit) but I'm always interested to see how the pros break a format so we'll see.

Admittedly this is a one-off event (I imagine) so they'll likely do nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

This format is great when SCG covers it so it would be cool if it was a once a year thing. Looking forward to Rich Hagon and Brian David Marshall trying to commentate on it.

PTQs qualifying you to this PT are standard unified.

"You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Now I just need to find two saps willing to play Standard and Modern
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    This format is great when SCG covers it so it would be cool if it was a once a year thing. Looking forward to Rich Hagon and Brian David Marshall trying to commentate on it.
    It's going to be a train wreck...of their usual commentators, I think LSV is the only person they have that could even be passable. Even when Cedric and Patrick did Legacy on almost a weekly basis, there were plenty of head-scratch, eye squint educing comments made.

I guess we do know now why Top was really banned though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    PTQs qualifying you to this PT are standard unified....
    One more metagame for people to care about and for R&D to manage.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

PTQs qualifying you to this PT are standard unified.
    I don't know where to start since this comment seems to be based on a misunderstanding how to qualify. For Legacy players there's two ways:

• Top 4 Team Constructed GP.
    • Assuming the "Special Team Format" announced for certain RPTQs will likely feature Legacy, you can also qualify through that. As a bonus, you don't even need to qualify for that RPTQ through a PPTQ as long as someone Q'ed for the RPTQ (likely your Standard guy) invites you onto his Team Constructed Team.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    • Assuming the "Special Team Format" announced for certain RPTQs will likely feature Legacy, you can also qualify through that. As a bonus, you don't even need to qualify for that RPTQ through a PPTQ as long as someone Q'ed for the RPTQ (likely your Standard guy) invites you onto his Team Constructed Team.
    So, in an Team RPTQ, only one person needs to be Q'ed and the other 2 are allowed to participate qualified or not?

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Correct. The only people who can't be selected are people already qualified for the Pro Tour.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Correct. The only people who can't be selected are people already qualified for the Pro Tour.
    Hmm, that's pretty neat, not that it would ever apply to me...

I guess the alternative proposition is far too constricting, because it would almost certainly end up forcing someone into a format they probably didn't want to play.

I don't know where to start since this comment seems to be based on a misunderstanding how to qualify. For Legacy players there's two ways:

• Top 4 Team Constructed GP.
    As far as i know the special team format announced for RPTQs is Standard Team Unified, a friend of mine told me that and I assumed it is true (I mean, he is an L2)
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

As far as i know the special team format announced for RPTQs is Standard Team Unified, a friend of mine told me that and I assumed it is true (I mean, he is an L2)
    This is untrue. There are RPTQs already announced, which are Team Unified Standard, and there are Team events that are unannounced that are a special format. These COULD for sure be Legacy or the same format as the PT, we don't know and no information has come forth regarding this. Your friend is referring to the fact that the RPTQs that feed into the 25th Anniversary PT are Team Unified Standard, but these RPTQs are not the only way to qualify for this 25th Anniversary PT.
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    It's going to be a train wreck...of their usual commentators, I think LSV is the only person they have that could even be passable. Even when Cedric and Patrick did Legacy on almost a weekly basis, there were plenty of head-scratch, eye squint educing comments made.

I guess we do know now why Top was really banned though.
    Those guys did bad the first couple of years. This is true. But they got a lot better. Still the sentiment of your post is sound. It's going to be a tough gig. They really need a third guy in the booth plucked from the community to chime in on the details. Who's equal to this challenge here?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Those guys did bad the first couple of years. This is true. But they got a lot better. Still the sentiment of your post is sound. It's going to be a tough gig. They really need a third guy in the booth plucked from the community to chime in on the details. Who's equal to this challenge here?
    I enjoy commentary. Doing TuskVision was super fun. That's the one thing of streaming that I miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I always enjoyed Cedric and Patrick's commentary, but Legacy is a pretty wide format and so even "experienced" commentators can sometimes have issues.

LSV is perceptive enough to be able to commentate on nearly any format though, so he is the best bet they have. That is, if he isn't playing.

Having a "Legacy expert" on hand is probably the best idea, but with the Team format being only 1/3 Legacy, them bringing in someone strictly for that is pretty remote.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Now I just need to find two saps willing to play Standard and Modern
    I read it as all players play all three. Which is too bad for any team that'd have me since I'd have a legacy deck, a modern deck, and 60 of my favorite basic lands.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Pretty cool. Now I wish WotC would print functional different duals that don't conflict with the Reserve List (e.g. Commander-related duals).

SCG jacking up the price for Revised USea just before the announcement is a major concern. According to them, it was because they couldn't keep the duals in stock, so they rose the buy/sell price. Whatever is true, somebody seems to play the market with knowledge about the PT prior to the announcement.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I'm really excited about selling out of Legacy staples a week before the PT and buying a fucking house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

May 2016
    Portland, OR

Maybe the commentators could just do their homework? They clearly didn't for GP Vegas, with Chapin talking about Baral and shit like we were about to watch modern storm. I can forgive them for missing things because they never play the format to an extent. But they have to do better than clearly having done actual zero format preparation.

Thread Information