Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

  1. #21
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,197

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I'm really excited about selling out of Legacy staples a week before the PT and buying a fucking house.
    Realistically, how much would demand increase? Only a third of the players are going to play Legacy. And anybody worth their salt playing the format should already have a deck.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  2. #22
    Member
    QQQ's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2007
    Location

    Williamsburg, Brooklyn
    Posts

    88

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Realistically, how much would demand increase? Only a third of the players are going to play Legacy. And anybody worth their salt playing the format should already have a deck.
    It could only be relevant for the qualifiers. Anyone playing on the tour will have zero problems with availability. On the minute chance they lack cards they need, I have zero doubt that they don't either know someone who does, or more likely, would get a store to sponsor them. And that's for nobodies. Tour regulars never have to pay for cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMycon
    It's really unfortunate that even a complete imbecile can learn. I guess you truly can't drive intuition out of anything.

  3. #23
    Member
    Whitefaces's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2013
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,208

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Who's equal to this challenge here?
    Julian doing commentary would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

  4. #24
    itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Julian23's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Location

    Munich / Germany
    Posts

    3,225

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by phg22 View Post
    Maybe the commentators could just do their homework?
    I can't speak for the commentators at GP Vegas, but there are some who really put in a lot of work to familiarize themselves with the format. Won't call any names but I've had commentators contact me for information about the state of the meta before. Ended up sending them a 4-5 page overview of what was going on in the format at the time, and their preparation clearly showed during their actual commentary at the GP. Not all of them are going in blind and trying to wing it with just charisma.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

  5. #25

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Without actual experience in the format it's just so easy to get things incorrect even if they prepped as well as possible. I don't know what the solution is outside of bringing in someone who actually plays it and the pool of people that do play while also being someone WotC would consider allowing to do commentary can't be large.

  6. #26

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Pretty cool. Now I wish WotC would print functional different duals that don't conflict with the Reserve List (e.g. Commander-related duals).

    SCG jacking up the price for Revised USea just before the announcement is a major concern. According to them, it was because they couldn't keep the duals in stock, so they rose the buy/sell price. Whatever is true, somebody seems to play the market with knowledge about the PT prior to the announcement.
    Was the fact that WotC was giving godbooks of new sets to pro's well ahead of time not enough of a clue that they've ALWAYS had their hand on the scale?

  7. #27
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,197

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Was the fact that WotC was giving godbooks of new sets to pro's well ahead of time not enough of a clue that they've ALWAYS had their hand on the scale?
    One would think they would have learned from it. But it seems they'll always be nepotistic little shits. It's company culture.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  8. #28

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Pretty cool. Now I wish WotC would print functional different duals that don't conflict with the Reserve List (e.g. Commander-related duals).
    The best solution I've seen to this is to print Legendar, Snow Duals of each type.
    Legendary = functionally and objectively worse

    It would reduce demand on duals notably, without violating the spirit of the reserve list, and SERIOUSLY lower the barrier to entry.

    Seems almost trivially easy here.

  9. #29

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    My take away was:
    Because this event is about teaming up, we're increasing the number of Team Grand Prix to take place from January 6 until May 27, making them either Team Limited, Team Unified Modern, or Team Constructed—the same format as the Pro Tour—and will qualify all Top 4 finishers from that range of events for Pro Tour 25th Anniversary!
    Really hoping that Australia gets a Team Constructed GP so I can find me a Standard and a Modern player and play some Legacy!

  10. #30
    Site Contributor
    apple713's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2012
    Location

    Amherst, NY
    Posts

    1,911

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by walked View Post
    The best solution I've seen to this is to print Legendar, Snow Duals of each type.
    Legendary = functionally and objectively worse

    It would reduce demand on duals notably, without violating the spirit of the reserve list, and SERIOUSLY lower the barrier to entry.

    Seems almost trivially easy here.
    there are still a TON if cards on the reserve list other than duals that are staples in the format.

    A better idea would probably be for them to abolish the reserve list BUT announce it very far into the future like 5 years or something. That would give people with existing reserve list cards ample time to unload them. Its not likely they'll take much of a dip until a year out or something either. Even then, it would depend heavily on how they reprinted them. If wizards actually did it smartly, they could reprint cards sparsely to keep demand up. Demand for older cards will still always exist because so many of the newer cards have shitty shitty art.

    A solution like this would provide significant longevity for the game. Without it, the game will always be bifurcated.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

    Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi
    Currently looking for Beta duals - Find me on Magictraders.com as "Apple"

    why cards are so expensive...hoarders

  11. #31

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    Exciting but nervous, I've been of the opinion legacy has been allowed to exist as it has because it isn't a pro tour (how modern was handled when it was a PT format affirmed that a bit)...
    This is my concern as well. Fingers crossed.

    Quote Originally Posted by walked View Post
    The best solution I've seen to this is to print Legendar, Snow Duals of each type.
    Legendary = functionally and objectively worse
    You would think that were self-evident, but according to the letter of the reprint policy supertypes do not affect functional identity for some reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    there are still a TON if cards on the reserve list other than duals that are staples in the format.
    I'm all for getting rid of (or shortening) the RL, but virtual (non-functional) reprints is a nice compromise. Of course they can't do this with stuff like LED, Cradle, etc, because (unlike duals) access to copies 5-8 might actually cause problems.

    Still, if WotC could solve the dual lands issue it would go along way (not everyone wants to play Burn, Fish, Affinity, D&T, or Manaless Dredge). Substitute duals (with no drawback in Legacy) could work wonders as far as format interest is concerned. I would anticipate explosive growth.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

    You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

  12. #32

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    This is my concern as well. Fingers crossed.
    You would think that were self-evident, but according to the letter of the reprint policy supertypes do not affect functional identity for some reason.
    That's silly and annoying. Darn.

    Then maybe something like a revolt dual or life loss dual.

    "~ ETB tapped unless you lost life this turn" or "~ ETB tapped unless a permanent left the battlefield this turn".

    Still objectively worse, but would give a close enough approximation in a lot of situations [fetching obviously] that it would at least give many players a reasonable entry point.

    But really, neither that nor the RL going anywhere is going to happen. Hopefully the Team Trio format will take off and at least give Legacy a regular competitive place with a reasonable demand mitigation (only 1/3 of players need RL cards).

  13. #33
    Force of Will is my bitch
    Finn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2004
    Location

    South Florida
    Posts

    2,890

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    The type line of the card might make that sample hard to implement anyway.

    Legendary Snow Land - Island Forest

    Edit: I advocate something more elegant though.

    ----
    Land - Mountain Swamp Forest

    When {this} enters the battlefield, discard a card unless you have Threshold.
    ----

    ----
    Land - Plains Island

    This card is white and blue. When {this} enters the battlefield, reveal your hand.
    ----


    Or whatever. Make the cards situationally better or worse than a straight up dual land. That way we will want to play with maybe one or two of these new cards per deck, taking some of the weight off of duals. There is plenty of room to explore for this type of thing.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

  14. #34

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by walked View Post
    "~ ETB tapped unless you lost life this turn" or "~ ETB tapped unless a permanent left the battlefield this turn".
    We don't need sub-par budget duals. We need duals.

    eg, CIPT if:

    - You have >30 life
    - You have > 60 cards in your library
    - etc.

    It's requires only the will to do so.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

    You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

  15. #35
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2007
    Location

    Italy, Eternal
    Posts

    1,807

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    A pyroblastable island? PogChamp

    A fetchable discard land would also be way too good.

    But yeah there are a lot of designs they could explore. A land that say "you can't play more than 1 spell this turn" or "exile a random card from your graveyard as this ETB"

  16. #36

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Anders "alakazimdk" Thiesen replied and summarized to the Team Constructed Legacy ProTour at: https://snapcardster.com/blog/re-legacy-at-the-pt/

    Good read.

  17. #37
    Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Hanni's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    2,367

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    A pyroblastable island? PogChamp

    A fetchable discard land would also be way too good.

    But yeah there are a lot of designs they could explore. A land that say "you can't play more than 1 spell this turn" or "exile a random card from your graveyard as this ETB"
    I agree on the discard land being OP. Turn 1 fetch, discard land, Reanimate is way too easy to assemble. Although, I could certainly see them printing a land like that anyway.
    Sligh
    Mentor Deathblade
    The Mind Harvester
    4c Nobleblade

    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

  18. #38
    Member
    TracerBullet's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2010
    Location

    Los Angeles
    Posts

    16

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I can't speak for the commentators at GP Vegas, but there are some who really put in a lot of work to familiarize themselves with the format. Won't call any names but I've had commentators contact me for information about the state of the meta before. Ended up sending them a 4-5 page overview of what was going on in the format at the time, and their preparation clearly showed during their actual commentary at the GP. Not all of them are going in blind and trying to wing it with just charisma.
    The thing is, even with a significant amount of prep (assuming they had *pored* over the background research you sent), there's still simply too much detail in any given game of competitive Legacy to be up to speed on the format without significant game-situation reps. The staggering number of decisions made by players in even a relatively simple match makes it tough on announcers who really don't play the format. Now imagine unfamiliar announcers trying to interpret a Lands' player's decision when he decides whether he wants to cast Gamble or hold mana open for Crop Rotation. It's simply too much to ever research going into an event. You really do have to play the format to understand the different decisions a player is forced to make, and then to convey those decisions to an audience who is mostly comprised of people who do play the format...

  19. #39

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The type line of the card might make that sample hard to implement anyway.

    Legendary Snow Land - Island Forest

    Edit: I advocate something more elegant though.

    ----
    Land - Mountain Swamp Forest

    When {this} enters the battlefield, discard a card unless you have Threshold.
    ----

    ----
    Land - Plains Island

    This card is white and blue. When {this} enters the battlefield, reveal your hand.
    ----


    Or whatever. Make the cards situationally better or worse than a straight up dual land. That way we will want to play with maybe one or two of these new cards per deck, taking some of the weight off of duals. There is plenty of room to explore for this type of thing.
    Man after my own heart. Ive been ringing this bell for YEARS.

  20. #40
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    Baltimore MD
    Posts

    26

    Re: The Team Pro Tour will feature LEGACY!

    I just want a Land like this.

    Lengendary Land - Mountain, Forest, Swamp, Plains, Island, Waste

    Can only have one copy of called " " in you're deck when you start the game.

    Tap: add one mana if any color
    Tap: add one colorless mana

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)