Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Czech Pile

Re: [DTB] Czech Pile

Hey everyone, I just got back from EE7 with my trial runs with Kess Pile, the 4C Czech deck featuring Kess, Dissident Mage. I got a feature match on coverage and a short interview so a lot of people were asking me about the list and how it did, so I wrote a short TR for Reddit which I'm reposting here in case it's relevant to you guys!

My feature match and interview can be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/175230877

Here was my list:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    2 Kess, Dissident Mage
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    3 Fatal Push
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Terminate
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

The deck felt PHENOMENAL all day despite not doing super well in the main event (4-4 overall). Kess and sideboard Chandras were insane in the fair matchups, I got multiple games where Kess ran over someone and got multiple Chandra emblem wins. The deck felt like it wasn't even close to losing in any creature matchup, but I struggled with combo. I knew cutting the maindeck discard would make my combo matchup worse, but I hated playing a grindy card advantage deck with discard spells because they're blank topdecks, so I just played 2 Counterspell and a diverse removal suite. I also expected fields of heavy Czech Pile and Stoneblade going in so I wanted to be metagame do slightly towards fair, which I think it did. My quick-and-dirty Tournament Report is as follows:

R1 I played against White Eldrazi (Taxes), which going in I thought would be a nightmare matchup. Everything lined up for me in G1 though and I answered Chalices cleanly while removing all his threats and ended the game with Kess playing removal and cantrips every turn. G2 I think I lost to t1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar. G3 I was locked under 2x Chalice at 1 but I'm able to trade Strixes for monster beaters and KCommand one Chalice, but I'm doing nothing. I spin wheels until I find a Jace. Jace gets a few brainstorms off before he gets revoked, but I find Kess, flashback KCommand to shatter a Chalice and shock the revoker and I win on the spot basically.

R2 was against the Czech pile mirror, Kess and Chandra from the board were insane. I got Hymned multiple times and didn't care due to the Planeswalker advantage I was getting and I managed the DRS footsies and KCommand battles better than he did. Counterspell was great at stopping a Jace and KCommand that discard wouldn't have. This match showed me that the deck was built excellently for what I wanted it to do: wreck the mirror and other fair decks.

R3 was on camera, as I linked above. The commentators implied it was a close match because I got to 1 life in game 1, but I never felt like it was even close. Kess is too insanely good! G2 I answer four consecutive Leovolds at card disadvantage and still easily take control. It ends with Chandra Jace and Kess in play, awesome feeling!

Got a winners interview after that match, they asked about my card choices and I had a good time. I felt real good about my deck and it's chances to win the whole thing. The deck was built for blue mirrors and it's excellent at that.

R4 we were the backup feature match as King of the Hill, I played against what I thought was the 4c mirror. Saw DRS/KCommand/Jace/Strix/Snapcaster in game 1. He lands an early Jace and I'm just never able to kill it. I keep parity with him on card advantage for WAY longer than was reasonable with Leovold/KCommand/Snapcaster but Jace has drawn literally like 10 cards at this point and I scoop mostly for clock concerns. Game 1 is about 30 mins but I feel confident I can take games 2 and 3 with my superior deck build and sideboard bombs like REB and Chandra. They move us back to feature for game 2, which you can find at the end of the video I linked. Long story short, I was wrong: it was pure Grixis control, not the 4c mirror, and he had access to Blood Moon. I didn't fetch Basics cause I thought it was the mirror and had NO idea it was even coming. Unfortunately being down a game sucks cause a sideboard gimmick like that just wins on the spot. I had Chandra under the moon but I died to a Gurmag.

The wheels fell off the bus for round 5, a local buddy of mine and I get paired up. It's Jim Baxter, who made t8. I keep a fair hand with removal and cantrips and die turn 2 to TES. Whoops. I board in all the disruption for game 2 and start on Deathrite with a force and surgical in hand, he Duresses me turn 2 and then makes 16 Goblins and I can't find Deluge in time.

Round 6 is against the same Depths deck that Eli won with, it was one of his buddies from the NY crowd. G1 goes predictably as I get 20/20d. I get to chump with a Strix for multiple consecutive turns and I have a crazy idea that I might be able to gain enough life with Deathrite to Deluge for 20 but it doesn't pan outG2 I have Edict for the first Lage and Surgical the Depths and counter a Living wish and win with Kess and Leovold. G3 I Thoughtseize him, he has Depths and forest in play and I take a Wish leaving him with two Hexmages, he topdecks Urborg and I can't find Edict or Jace in any of my draws.

Round 7 I play against Ben in another 4c mirror. Again predictably Kess and Chandra are mirror breakers and I win pretty easily 2-0. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Every fair match except for the one against Moon felt like an absolute cakewalk, the deck is insanely value.

R8 I end up losing to food chain. We're playing for min cash and my opponent is a really funny dude so I didn't take the game super seriously. Game 1 I get caught with my pants down by a Food Chain combo, I figured my opponent was on BUG control from his multiple Deathrite, Leovold, Decay start but whatever. I make a critical error and assume my opponent will board out the actual combo. Griffins and Ballista are still good against me but I figured he'd morph into a BUg midrange deck to grind better, he flashed me a Garruk relentless from the board so I board out Force and in things like REB and Chandra. It works out for game 2, I win a drawn out game by killing everything he had and holding off a Griffin with Kess, then Chandra ultimate. Game 3 though I get punished for the boarding decision because he plays a Garruk and fights a strix to flip it, I tap out to play Leovold or some other threat to pressure it, then on his turn he plays Food Chain into infinite Griffins and then uses Garruk's Tutor ability for Ballista. Judgment error on my part; that's a reasonable loss. At 4-4 I drop to get food cause Philadelphia.

Today I played two side events with the deck and went 2-2 and 3-1. I beat Eli's Turbo Depths, Death and Taxes, Pox, 4c Mirror and got a scoop from Enchantress and lost to Sneak Show, Aggro Loam, and Dredge.

Overall the deck was great, a ton of fun and value. The combo matchups need help but idk what more you can do, I was bringing in 10 sideboard cards in some matchups and still losing horribly. I think it's the classic problem of control v combo, if you have disruption but no clock it doesn't matter, and Deathrite/Strix/Snapcaster don't represent a real clock.

Thanks for the interest and reply if you have any comments!

Thanks for posting your tourney report from EE7, I looked online this morning looking to find your decklist and was disappointed that results weren't posted anywhere. It's nice to see some data around Kess, I may include 1 in my weeklies. I think your fair blue deck match up is through the roof, but with only 4FOW and 2CS your combo MU g1 is too weak. I would consider cutting a snap and strix to add a bit more disruption.

There are many lists running 2 Wastelands, can anyone talk about how this list is working for them? I feel like some games I am struggling to hit lands 4or5. Some long games I'm getting way to many lands. After watching EE7 I think I will be moving to a second basic island as 3 basics will work fine for me.

Nov 2011
    Denver, CO

Quick report from my a weekly, my first time playing the deck in paper. I played the list in my last post.

Round 1 - UB Reanimator - Game 1, I land a DRS on turn one which he is never able to answer. I can't remember, but I think I closed it out with a Jace and Snapcaster beats. Game 2 he Show and Tells a Griselbrand in which I can't stop. Game 3 I'm in the driver's seat the whole time with 2 DRS out. I end the game with a hand of Fluster, Fluster, Force, and Surgical. Nothing he can do about it.

Round 2 - Grixis Delver - Game 1 takes absolutely forever, I sit around with a Leovold, Strix, and a Jace while he holds the ground with an Angler. Eventually I get there after burning most of the clock. Game 2 he gets me with quick Young Pyromancer beats. Game 3 we go to time and neither of us are able to finish it. He brings in Bitterblossom (!?) out of the board which I have no answers for but he still can't put enough damage together to stop me.

Round 3 - Grixis Control - Game 1 True Name beats take him down in short order. I wasn't sure if he'd be bringing in Blood Moon as I played next to him in previous rounds and he was new to the deck. In Game 2 he drops a Blood Moon on turn 3 (sad face) after only fetching duals (?). He eventually gets me with Pyromancer beats. Game 3 is a quick affair with a Gurmag Angler making short work of his life total. Honestly this player wasn't very good, he forced my Strix in G3 for example, but I imagine this deck can have some powerful starts against us.

Round 4 - BUG Control - Hymn to Tourach and DRS are a potent combination. I land a Jace and start Brainstorming into action, and he scoops when he has no creatures and no cards in hand and I'm fate-sealing him with Jace. Game 2 I stop his relevant action and eventually get a Gurmag angler down. He scoops when he double blocks my Angler with 4/5 Goyfs and I Snapcaster a Fatal Push for the blow out. He was so tilted, I felt kind of bad about it.

Overall the deck felt incredibly solid. You get to play so many amazing value cards, it reminds me of Esper Stoneblade back before DRS. The combination of Strix, Snapcaster, Kommand, Jace, and Leo is so incredibly good.

Notes on card choices:

- After the tournament I swapped a MD Bolt for a MD Diabolic Edict. It felt like I needed a maindeck answer for Gurmag or other fatties. I kind of want to run a Toxic Deluge somewhere, but I'm not sure what I would cut. I'd like to have a sweeper outside of 2 Marsh Casualties from the board, but adding another 3-mana spell doesn't feel great.

- Hymn to Tourach feels very swingy to me, it is either the best card I'm playing or it feels like dead weight. However it also feels like a necessary evil. 4 Force + 2 Counterspell is not enough disruption for the amount of combo running around my meta.

- I really liked the 1/1 split of Angler and True Name. Each of them took down games for me, much more quickly than I could have managed otherwise.

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

I've been playing this deck for a while now (and didn't actually post something), so here's a quick recap of my last few weeks. The list didn't change for the whole time as I actually quite liked the setup. Thoughts on the list below all the other stuff.

„Rick Sanczech”

1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Volcanic Island
    [20 Lands]
    3 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    1 Vendilion Clique
    [14 Creatures]
    [02 Planeswalker]
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterspell
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    2 Kolaghan’s Command
    2 Lightning Bolt
    [24 Instants]
    1 Night’s Whisper
    4 Ponder
    1 Reanimate
    [06 Sorceries]
    [60 cards maindeck]

Sideboard:

1 Collective Brutality
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Forked Bolt
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Marsh Casualities
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    [15 cards sideboard]
    [75 cards total]

It all starts with a few leagues, going 5-0, 5-0 and 4-1 respectivly, then going to play some GP Metz sideevents, the structure was 4 matches and prices depending on matchpoints.

R1: Remi with Eldrazi
    I'm sure you know that this is not the best matchup, I quickly lose the first game, win the second on the back of Jitte. He has a draw with only Mimics game three which Leovold and Tasigur stop dead in their tracks. Time is called and he rather kills Jace with his Ratchet Bomb instead of Leovold, so I'm able to attack for exactsies on turn 5.

R2: Arnaud with Death and Taxes
    I lose to the DnT plan game one, but have too much removal for him to handle game two and three. Marsh Casualities MVP.

R3: Thomas with Czech Pile
    Tasigur manages to outgrind Jace and Leovold, so when I finally can get rid of Leovold, I have a thousand Brainstorms in my hand. He wins game two, we're again in turns when he decides on one life that bouncing Strix with Jace isn't such a good idea. He doesn't find removal, so I win.

R4: Matthias with Czech Pile
    We I.D. to both get close to two displays.

Second trial, same structure.

R1: Matthias with Czech Pile
    My draws are just far better than his, I outgrind him easily.

R2: Rico with Grixis Delver
    My notes don't have my life below ten for any of the two games.

R3: Thomas with Grixis Delver
    He keeps terrible slow hands and is dispatched easily.

R4: I.D. for displays again

So, after losing one match in the last 20, I feel pretty good going into MKM series Hamburg. There'd be three tournaments: two trials and the Legacy main event. After 8 hours driving to Hamburg, the Legacy Grand Trial 1 starts with about 1 1/2 hours delay, making the day even longer than it already was at this point.

R1: Christoph with Death and Taxes
    He does the usual Death and Taxes stuff but Kolaghan's Command is just way too strong for DnT to handle. It allows me to stabilize both games and take the win from there.

R2: Conrado with Esper Delver
    I take a mulligan, he plays a Delver, I use my turn to cantrip, find lands but forget to play them. I just never recover from not making my landdrop. Game two he's far ahead with Lingering Souls and a Gurmag Angler, I do have the chance to bounce his Gurmag and Marsh Casuality his four spirit tokens if I manage to survive this round. He attacks and has Zealous Persecution with me being at six. I have Fatal Push and a Deathrithe Activation, but can only do one of those because I left open Badlands / Volcanic Island for Redblast Protection. Guess you can't have all.

R3: Holger with BRUG Delver
    First match is quite long, he manages to Stifle / Wasteland a lot of my lands but doesn't mount any pressure after I kill his first two creatures. I'm finally able to stabilize and win from there. The second game he's stuck on one colored mana for far too long, so when he finally recovers from his screw, I'm too far ahead already.

R4: Tilmann with Grixis Control
    Those were some aaaawfully long games. We trade removal and counterspells back and forth, but I manage to stick a Jace first, which he can't recover from. Second game I land a turn two Sylvan Library, he fetches for two basics, but luckily does not play Blood Moon on his turn three. Library manages to make some good CA. He does his best to keep up with some pretty brutal two for ones, but in the end it's too much for him to handle.

R5: Christian with Elves
    In the first game I just kill everything he plays and counter a Glimpse. Second game a Nissa is way too much for me to handle and in the third game I can again remove everything he plays. At least one of those games he floods away, which helped me tremendously, as I see Elves as a pretty bad MU for the pile.

R6: Sebastien with RG Cloudpost
    Haha. Yeah. I manage to drop him to one game one before Ugin exiles my board. I don't manage to draw a Bolt or Snapcaster in the two turns he needs to play something really big. Second game is no game, he just drops three Cloudposts. Nice guy, terrible matchup.

R7: Bastian with Sneak and Show
    Last matchup for the day, he kills me turn five with Sneak Attack, topdeck Lotus Petal (well, not that it mattered :D), Griselbrand + Emrakul. Games two and three he.. I actually don't know what happened. I countered his first Show and Tell as aswell as his first Sneak Attack, but only had a Deathrite Shaman. He hardcast SSG, then started to force my second DRS. So basicly, my DRS was on the field two turns earlier and I could win the race. He got stuck on fat guys and lands in the third game two, and the lonely SSG on his field couldn't do anything.

5-2 gets me tenth place, a bye for the main event as well as a GP promo SFM which is.. fine.. I guess? Eat something, get to the hotel, have no sleep at all thanks to roommates snorring terribly. So I have like 3 hours of sleep for the next event.

R1: Kevin with Miracles
    I just outgrind him hard with Leovold and Jace. Game two he does the same with me, Mentor finishes the deal quickly. Game three he has a bit of early game interaction and a timely Terminus, but starts to flood away hard. I smell blood in the water and use Jace to win.

R2: Christian with Esper Delver Brew
    I don't recall the games much. I think he wasted me 11 times in our three games, but had no pressure, so I could draw out of the screw two games out of three. One I got beat down pretty hard though.

R3: Sebastien with RG Cloudpost
    This guy again. We joke that he could be nice and brick, which he actually does. He never draws a Cloudpost naturally and I have the counterspells for his Crop Rotations. We agree to not play again this weekend.

R4: Tilmann with Grixis Control
    So many people from last tournament. I manage to stick a Jace again, but his Gurmag Angler, in combination with a Lightning Bolt is too much for me too overcome, even with the best Planeswalker of them all. Second game he lands a Blood Moon that doesn't outright kill me, as I had Sylvan Library and a basic Swamp, but still allows him to pressure me too hard for a comeback. Tilmann wins the whole thing, so congrats to him!

R5: Patrick with Esper Deathblade
    Two TNN prove to be too much for me game one, he waited nice and paitently for me to leave him a window, then I had no chance. I'm able to handle his TNN game two and KCommand SFM / Batterskull for best value, then win from there. Third game has me kill his SFM, then reanimate it to get my own Jitte. I topdeck like a champ and manage to steal this game.

R6: Quirin with Affinity
    I sit down and tell him I already got a bye and am only playing for prices. He tells me "well, we both will get prices". Fine then. He kills me game one with double plating, the second game is a removal slugfest in which Leovold takes over the game with a Jitte after I killed about 10 creatures already. Third game he has only 0/x guys, I kill everything that has more than zero power and he can't muster any offense.

So, this leaves me with 5-1, a third place, another bye (well, it doesn't stack sadly) and a Revised Plateau. We'll have a feast at a Greek place (and lots of Ouzo), then drink a few beers in our hotel lobby. I actually get some much needed sleep as the hotel arranged a singles room for me. Thaaaaanks and on to the main event!

R1: Bye
    R2: Markus with BUG Control
    He plays a TNN game one that I'm not able to race, as he kills anything I play (which isn't much as I kept a very greedy hand that I get punsihed for). Game two is a grindfest that I manage to win on the back of a Sylvan Library. Game three is a back and forth. I manage to kill three Hierarchs and a TNN with Marsh casualities, he returns the favor by killing two DRS and a Strix with his own. His TNN gets handled with Snapcaster -> Casualities. I topdeck a Leovold that gives me the crucial draw to be one step ahead on him and win the game.

R3: Jens with Elves
    He just has some random dudes game one and one card left, I use Command to kill his insect and let him discard a card, he returns an elf to discard it, than plays a Nissa that is too much for me to handle. Game two my removal makes a short work of his little green man, game three I have the option of playing DRS, then turn two go Bolt, Decay on whatever he plays, or just Bolt his Arbor. I play DRS, he kills me turn two.

R4: Joan with Aggro Loam
    He wastelands me two times, I force a Liliana and a Chalice, decay his Knight and then reanimate it to play my Jace a turn later (was stuck on lands). The then 5/5 Knight proves to much for him to handle. Game two he starts with a T2 Confidant, which I kill and then reanimate. He swords it and replays another one a turn later, which I kill again, then go Snapcaster, Reanimate. He can't handle it this time and I draw too many cards for him to come back into the game.

R5: Julius with RUG Delver
    Game one has me stabilizing at seven life, after I handle all of his Tarmogoyfs and finally get a Baleful Strix to stick around and threaten to block his Mongoose. Game two is a typical RUG Delver game, he Wastelands and pressures me pretty hard, I have to succumb to a 5/6 Tarmogoyf that I can't handle. Game three sees us going to time with the boardstate as follows in the second extra turn: He has a flipped Delver and a Goyf, as well as a Spell Pierce in hand, while being tapped out and being on twelve. I have a Tarmogoyf that I reanimated, a Snapcaster in my hand and am at six life. Now, I could go for the draw here and just go Snapcaster -> Decay. Instead I play for the win, go Snapcaster, Reanimate target Snapcaster, target Decay, destroy his Goyf, attack for five. If he now draws a Bolt I'm dead, if he doesn't I have the option to draw removal and kill him. He doesn't draw the Bolt, I topdeck Decay and ship home a close game.

R6: Christian with Elves
    This guy again. He floods out game one so I manage to win somehow. Game two starts exactly as game three started in round two. He can't kill me though, but I still lose as his board is full of little green men. Game three sees him with all the clunky cards in his hand, playing one elf per turn that I can kill easy with my mono removal hand.

R7: Jamin with Storm
    He kills me turn two, I don't have anything to stop him and concede in response to his post-Nauseam Probe (I started with Bayou -> DRS). Game two is a bit closer as he just cantrips a thousand turns. I do have two DRS, but they get shut down by Ground Seal. He manages to find discard for my FoW on his last possible turn.

R8: Jan with Maverick
    I manage to kill his early drops, he starts flooding out soon after which leaves me a lot of time to get out of the Wasteland pressure he put up earlier. Game two I get his PFire exiled with Surgical, then two for one him a few times with Kolaghans Command and Forked Bolt. We then both start flooding out, but I'll manage to turn my excess lands into business with chain Brainstorms once I find the first.

R9: Kalle with Food Chain
    We're playing for Top16 here and he gets manascrewed for the first game. I manage to use that to kill him fast (well, for the pile anyway). Second game he plays a patient game with a Relic of Progenitus that manages to control my DRS and his Griffins whenever they die. Third game I keep a hand of Bolt, Badlands, Inquisition, Surgical, 2x Brainstorm, KCommand. I figured I had enough outs and also the cards to slow him down enough. I manage to nab his Food Chain first turn, but draw my blue land way too late while he has a playset of Baleful Strix that get him everything he needs. I lose that game in quick fashion and congratulate him on his good run / Top16.

So, 6-3 wasn't the result I wanted (obviously), it places me at 36th. The list felt incredibly good, I lucked out much but also think that the matches I lost were either bad MUs (Elves, FC, Storm, Cloudpost) or matches that could go either way (like Delver / Grixis Control). So while the tournament didn't end like I wanted, I'm pretty happy with the results I put up. A friend of mine with the exact same list went 7-2, which is also very good.
    I'm looking to maybe cut Nights Whisper for a Library in the maindeck, opening up a sideboard slot. I'll be tinkering a bit with the sideboard and maybe with the mainboard. For the rather secure changes, I'm thinking of testing white Leylines, the other changes I want to test are SFM main (still have to figure out how to do this) as well as Blood Moons in the sideboard. Fun times are incoming :)

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Hei Guys

I did top 4 @mkm Hamburg with my BUG Pile/Control List (Props to Marius Hausmann and Johannes Gutbrod). Also i did 5th @ Grand Trial 82 people Tournament, 51(6:1 possible 2th if i would not drawing for the safe bye, because i won the last Match)

// 60 Hauptdeck
    // 2 Artifact
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

// 15 Creature
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Baleful Strix

// 13 Instant
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push

// 21 Land
    3 Wasteland
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Verdant Catacombs

// 2 Planeswalker

// 7 Sorcery
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Ponder
    2 Hymn to Tourach

// 15 Sideboard
    // 10 Instant
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 3 Flusterstorm

// 1 Planeswalker
    SB: 1 Liliana, the Last Hope

// 4 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Hymn to Tourach
    SB: 2 Marsh Casualties

I post this here because it's still very similar to some Czech Pile List. Not like Thomas List. Red is very strong and i love the Command and REB's. But we tried to have a Bug Controll list with less Greed and more Proactivity.I have to say a list without a lot pressure do just durdle around sometimes. We tried to play more Cards who attack the opponent in diffrent angle. Like for example Jitte and True-Name. The List feel so powerful and sweet to play. Otherwise Johannes played a similar list to mine without True-Name and jitte but with more leovold and 1 more Cantrip and a Gurmag. He won the Big Trial on Friday with it. Just feel free to ask and Post:) Maybe some Player are interested in this Deck or List so i post it here in the DtB section:) I won now 1 1K Tournament, 5th (possible 2th after johannes) and top 4 with it in a a 300 Men Tournament. It's really a great Deck and i hope some people will play it too:)

Greets

Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Pdingo View Post
    Hei Guys

I did top 4 @mkm Hamburg with my BUG Pile/Control List (Props to Marius Hausmann and Johannes Gutbrod). Also i did 5th @ Grand Trial 82 people Tournament, 51(6:1 possible 2th if i would not drawing for the safe bye, because i won the last Match)

// 60 Hauptdeck
    // 2 Artifact
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

// 15 Creature
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Baleful Strix

// 13 Instant
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push

// 21 Land
    3 Wasteland
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Verdant Catacombs

// 2 Planeswalker

// 7 Sorcery
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Ponder
    2 Hymn to Tourach

// 15 Sideboard
    // 10 Instant
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 3 Flusterstorm

// 1 Planeswalker
    SB: 1 Liliana, the Last Hope

// 4 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Hymn to Tourach
    SB: 2 Marsh Casualties

I post this here because it's still very similar to some Czech Pile List. Not like Thomas List. Red is very strong and i love the Command and REB's. But we tried to have a Bug Controll list with less Greed and more Proactivity.I have to say a list without a lot pressure do just durdle around sometimes. We tried to play more Cards who attack the opponent in diffrent angle. Like for example Jitte and True-Name. The List feel so powerful and sweet to play. Otherwise Johannes played a similar list to mine without True-Name and jitte but with more leovold and 1 more Cantrip and a Gurmag. He won the Big Trial on Friday with it. Just feel free to ask and Post:) Maybe some Player are interested in this Deck or List so i post it here in the DtB section:) I won now 1 1K Tournament, 5th (possible 2th after johannes) and top 4 with it in a a 300 Men Tournament. It's really a great Deck and i hope some people will play it too:)

Greets

Pascal
    Congrats for your awesome win Pascal! Been seeing your BUG list popping up here and there over mtgtop8 and tc council.

I am giving ur deck a spin tomorrow at my local game store. Wondering if you can give some sideboard advice against some of the more common matchups (in my meta) like:

Czech Pile
    Elves
    Aluren
    Lands
    Grixis Delver
    Dark Depths (hexmage and stage)

Appreciate it!

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Congrats for your awesome win Pascal! Been seeing your BUG list popping up here and there over mtgtop8 and tc council.

I am giving ur deck a spin tomorrow at my local game store. Wondering if you can give some sideboard advice against some of the more common matchups (in my meta) like:

Czech Pile
    Elves
    Aluren
    Lands
    Grixis Delver
    Dark Depths (hexmage and stage)

Appreciate it!

Thanks men!

Czech Pile
    -4 Fow
    -3 Push
    -1 or 2 Jitte

+3 Fluster
    +2 Hymn
    +1 Hydroblast
    +1 Lili
    +1 or 2 Marsh Casualities (if they play true name 2)

Elves

-2 Hymn
    -2 Jace
    -1 True Name

+2 Marsh Casualties
    +1 Lili
    +2 Fluster

Lands:

-2 Hymn
    -2 Ts
    -3 Push

+3 Surgical
    +2Edict
    +1Hydro
    +1 Krosan Grip

Grixis Delver
    -4 Fow
    -2 Hymn
    -1 Jitte

+2 Marsh Casualties
    +1 Hydro
    +3 Flusterstorm
    +1 Lili/ Edict (depends on the List)

Aluren: never played against it

-2 Fow/ i really have to test jitte here because uf ut hits he can shoot down alot but maybe its better to side out 2 jitte
    -1 Push

+ 2 hymn
    + 1 Krosan Grip

Dark Dephts

-3 Push
    -2 Jitte
    -1 True Name
    -2 Hymn

+ 2 Edict
    + 3 Surgical
    + 1 Krosan Grip
    +2 Fluster

Also this match up i never played but i gues its really random..

Good luck on your weekly

Greets Pascal

@HammerAndSickled
    I'm running something close, but I think I am a little more anti-combo oriented. I do like the Terminate. Maybe Bolt is just unnecessary? I think Paul was also tinkering with Tasigur in the main somewhere and 2 thoughtseize, 1 Abrupt Decay.

In the sideboard, I could also see Swapping Liliana for Chandra. Did Chandra ever feel win-more? I was also considering maybe 2nd Toxic Deluge is overkill with EE and 1 main, so maybe some additional piece of combo hate.

Lands still seems like an atrocious match.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Kess, Dissident Mage

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell

2 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bolt
    1 Toxic Deluge

1 Thoughtseize
    2 Kolaghan's Command

4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard:
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pithing Needle

I am new to legacy and it's my first time trying out a four colour deck but are there any general guidelines that you veterans can provide when it comes to playing against wasteland decks? e.g how to fetch, what to fetch?

For e.g. If I am playing against RUG delver, 4 stifles and 4 wastelands. I have 2 fetches, drs, liliana and some spells. I am on the play, would you guys fetch a dual here or basic? I guess one of the reasons to fetch duals or basics is dependent on the cards in your hand, but is that a risk you are willing to take, knowing that you can probably fetch a swamp instead of an underground sea?

And would your thinking change across other wasteland heavy decks like lands or Death and taxes?

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

I need to apologize in advance that this post is not going to be anything more than "it depends."

Most of this comes down to whether you:

1 - can "afford" the basic (can our hand even operate if we get no duals? how about if we don't draw another fetch within 2 turns?) This is often referred to as whether the hand is even functional or not on 2 basics. Many will not be.
    2 - are willing to bet on a high upside play (like slamming the Sea and being in a much better position turn 4 IF he doesn't have a Wasteland)
    3 - feel the matchup is positive or negative and in what way. D&T I feel is positive. I want to get to the late game without making risky plays like dying to Wasteland. Swamp -> DRS seems good here.

If you're sure your opponent is on stifle you should get duals. If he has a stifle he can otherwise manascrew you really easily by cutting you off a fetchland. Fetching basics might work for Storm that relies on UB only, but not on this deck that wants 3+ colors.
    If you're not certain he's on stifle you should definitely fetch a basic. Your third land might get wasted, but only after you've resolved a spell. It's fine being on 2-3 lands for a while though, better than getting wasted out of the game early.
    Don't play around card you're uncertain of, you're not doing yourself a favor here. That said if you can afford to take it slow and just hit land drops do it, you're the best lategame deck in the format after all.

Now in your specific example you had DRS. In that case you should always fetch a dual since wastelanding after a DRS on the draw is setting your opponent behind significantly. By fetching Swamp instead of Usea you're also signaling that you're not playing Delver and therefore daze which only helps your opponent.
    If I was RUG e.g. and I had a FoW but no removal I'd force a drs off a swamp because at worst the opponent can force back. If the opponentrepresents daze though I might consider pondering on my first turn to find a removal spell and play it around daze the second turn (depends on my hand of course).

Hi Pascal,

love the deck.

Played 2 times on our weekly tournament.

Both 3:1.

One loss against topdeck Grixis Pyromancer and one against Maverick.

Whats are the bad matchups??

Deck feels soo strong.

Thx for the Sideboard guide.

Can u also write down for Death’n’Taxes, Food Chain and Maverick, Sneak Show and Storm??

Why are people using BEB and Hydroblast in this deck sideboard?

Quote Originally Posted by DK_TTGL View Post
    Why are people using BEB and Hydroblast in this deck sideboard?
    Blood Moon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Blood Moon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    But if the oponent was in a Miracles or Blade deck and use BM? These decks don't have a lot of Red targets...

I play in a bit of a weird meta where people play a lot of Thought-knot seers

I like the wastelands at 2 i have been seeing but am thinking it might be better to play 2 islands 1 swamp and 2 bloodmoons in the board (or no tnn and 1 island - if anyone has tested bloodmoon i would love to hear about it)

2 blue blast
    2 redblast
    2 surgical
    1 marsh casualties (or toxic deluge already going to play one main)
    2 surgical extraction
    2 flusterstorm
    2 diabolic edict
    2 blood moon

4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Gurmag Angler
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Ponder
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Diabolic Edict
    4 Force of Will
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 toxic deluge

1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Volcanic Island

I also want to play ultimate price but it is really only good for killing eldrazi and edict can probably take the same spot.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Rekk View Post
    I also want to play ultimate price but it is really only good for killing eldrazi and edict can probably take the same spot.
    Don't do that, Ultimate Price cannot kill a colorless creature.

(Monocolor means exactly one color, colorless creatures are exactly zero colors.)
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Don't do that, Ultimate Price cannot kill a colorless creature.

(Monocolor means exactly one color, colorless creatures are exactly zero colors.)

=( I should read cards I remembered as non-artifact

Quote Originally Posted by Rekk View Post
    =( I should read cards I remembered as non-artifact
    That's Go For the Throat. :)

guys, picked up the deck recently, can I get some advice for side in / side out?

reference list:
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=24939&iddeck=195701

just without wastelands.

Some advice vs the various tier would be needed, I tend to over side a lot it seems

Thread Information