Thread: Writing on card faces

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Writing on card faces

Hey guys, kind of an oddball rules question here.

I have a box of proxy decks for Vintage. I'm not super familiar with all the lists I have proxied up, so sometimes after boarding, I can't remember which cards were in the main and which were in the side. This becomes worse when I lend the decks out. Would it be against the rules (or, for that matter, unsportsmanlike) for me to sharpie "sideboard" on the sideboard cards?

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Re: Writing on card faces

Why would that be an issue if you're already using proxies?

You could always print/write a decklist to keep in the box. Even in sanctioned tournaments I usually reference a list to make sure I de-sideboard correctly.

MTR:
    Artistic modifications to cards that indirectly provide minor strategic information are acceptable. The Head Judge is the final arbiter on what cards and notes are acceptable for a tournament.
    Marking (the front of) sideboard cards is the most common example of "minor strategic information". As far as the official rules are concerned, perfectly fine.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Cheers guys. I decided I'd take a less conspicuous approach and just put the lists in a note on my phone, but interesting to know that minor strategic info is fine on cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Cheers guys. I decided I'd take a less conspicuous approach and just put the lists in a note on my phone, but interesting to know that minor strategic info is fine on cards.
    Just remember the tournament rules forbid use of electronic devices, so only do it between matches. A proxy tournament might not strictly be following rules though I suppose.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

You might find this tool my friend made useful for proxying several decks at once. metadeck.me
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Thread Information