Thread: Scammy/ Shady TOs

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Scammy/ Shady TOs

Hey all,

I don't really know where else to put that, but since attending the last MKM series tournament left a bad taste in my mouth I just want to put out a general warning. I don't know if it's a one time occurrence or if similar situations already happened in the past, but the TO undermined promised payout (Modern; only paid to T24 despite 310 players being in the event and the website stating different) and didn't allow further players to enter the tournament to not reach the threshold for a bigger payout (Legacy).

So far I'm also afraid that, despite the TO promising to hand out 4x Planeswalker Points (irrelevant for most here I guess), they did not sanction the tournament. Which would suck, since it would make any effort of reporting it to WotC pointless.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

Re: Scammy/ Shady TOs

The payout wasn't undermined. The 310 player include people who earned byes at other tournaments but didn't show up to MKM Prague. They entered everyone to the WER and then dropped missing people after the seatings / round 1. The same happened at MKM Madrid earlier. My name was on the standings as well because I won a bye at our local tournament, but I didn't travel do Madrid.

JK (the shop that runs the tournaments for MKM) released a statement at a german forum.

And what's their side of the story for the legacy part?

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

For not letting people enter the tournament anymore: They said that the hall was full and they couldn't use one of the other rooms. But they want to make sure stuff like that won't happen again.

A quote from Facebook regarding Planeswalker Points:
    Philip Koerte
    The Modern and Standard will be reported as premium events. Sadly, WotC only created the premium events during the saturday (don't ask me why.....), hence I created a casual event on friday to run the event in. I will import it into the premium event sometime throughout this week, and then report it.
    Vintage and Legacy are still casual events, just to avoid any confusion.
    Yours,
    your scorekeeper from Prague

I might be ill informed but I thought Sat Vintage was postponed if so why Sun Standard wasnt? it's comical that my friend with byes (and free entry) was rejected to enter the ME (in which case the modern story doent make sense unless they also paid to register, in which case these are preregedged who just dont show up but why arent they just dropped and other allowed to take their place? If they preregged they paid the fee so not adding them in to the attendance/pool... imagine you travel for this... also the seatings were also pairing so not effort in that department) the player cap certainly felt bad and quite suspicious, 1 guy registering the endless queue, not enough pairing boards, mediocre prize payout, no vid coverage (how is that even possible ro not realize the benefits if a lgs can do it, it's not like commetary is mandatory), makes me feel Idontgiveafuckgimmeyourmoney.jk ... to not just complain venue is still the best I have ever been to (not jk effort though and AC not working on su was not their fault, sat temperature was cool despite the hell outside, good restaurant directly on site, meal ~4E delivered in a min, forget BoM baguettes) and the written coverage is very good
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

I am gonna give a few comments to the whole situation, though overall not interested in getting roasted at the stake for something my emplyoer might or might not have done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    I might be ill informed but I thought Sat Vintage was postponed if so why Sun Standard wasnt?
    Saturday Vintage was not postponed, if it was it was only by 5-10 minutes. I played that event, planned on it being postponed due to huge modern turnout but was proven wrong and did not have time to fully build my deck since the event started on time (the registration opened 30 minutes later than advertised though). Also postponing standard really does not solve space issues, unless many legacy people drop after the first two rounds.
    it's comical that my friend with byes (and free entry) was rejected to enter the ME (in which case the modern story doent make sense unless they also paid to register, in which case these are preregedged who just dont show up but why arent they just dropped and other allowed to take their place? If they preregged they paid the fee so not adding them in to the attendance/pool... imagine you travel for this... also the seatings were also pairing so not effort in that department)
    Your friend did not have free entry. Winning a Trial gives you a 40€ MKM Voucher which can be redeemed after you registered and paid the actual tournament entry. This is a decision that came from MKM and that the TO has complained about multiple times, who knows if it will be changed. As far as the preregistration goes:

The Scorekeeper was sent 3 Files which contained player-information: 1 which contained all registrations from MKM which were paid by Wednesday Evening (when the tickets were taken offline on MKM) and one which contained those which were not paid by the time (both were sent by me, since I manage the IT situation for JK). The third is a file which contained all registered Trial-Winners with their DCI number, that file was sent by MKM. Of those files only the people in the first file have paid, but all three were presumably entered into WER to save time during Registration.

the player cap certainly felt bad and quite suspicious, 1 guy registering the endless queue, not enough pairing boards, mediocre prize payout,, makes me feel Idontgiveafuckgimmeyourmoney.jk ...
    Can't comment on that, not ideal situation.

no vid coverage (how is that even possible ro not realize the benefits if a lgs can do it, it's not like commetary is mandatory)
    There is some real cost-benefit analysis going on behind the scenes, believe me. Doing any sort of video coverage is not cheap or easy. Even without commentary you need and a full time employee to get it up and running, select feature matches, etc. Not to mention the fact that you need to pay exorbitant amounts (IIRC the wifi cost for Frankfurt is like 1/3rd of the full venue price) to get the premium convention-center wifi, as the free wifi is not enough and you can't run a stream through mobile data. Since MKM themselves feel that text-coverage is the more attractive option and does not sponsor video coverage at all its simply not feasible to finance.

And with all that talk about mediocre price-support: Remember that a series has to be profitable to stay around. BOM-Series might have been the objectively better series last year, but they leaked money and went under, so the TO has to cut some costs to keep the series at least a bit profitable. I have the sheets with the calculations for profitability in front of me right now, and let me tell you: No one is getting rich from the MKM Series. Not only are costs for venues that hold enough players pretty darn high, but getting scorekeepers and event managers that can smoothly run events of that size is not very cheap.

Thread Information