Re: [Primer] Dredge

Quote Originally Posted by fluuu View Post
    Can i have a discord invi???
    I would like to have one, too. Thanks.

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Dredge is not well positioned atm imo. There is a lot of Chalice Decks (Eldrazi Post/Stompy:Moon Stompy:4C Loam), RB Reanimator, Dark Depths, and even the controly blue decks are packing Snapcaster Surgical package. I mean yes Silent Gravestone is supposed to do a lot of work here assuming it resolves. Not to mention people are playing more robust gravehate in Graffdiggers Cage and Leyline of the Void.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Jul 2016
    Lisbon

What are your thoughts on Hollow One or Gurmag Angler in sideboard as a plan B?
    Last edited by Francisco Pires; 02-15-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Currently Playing

Legacy

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Pires View Post
    What are your thoughts on Hollow One or Gurmag Angler in sideboard as a plan B?
    I personally have not tried it. My theory is that it wouldn't be good in the sense that you're still vulnerable to certain cards like RIP, but those are played in lower number so perhaps its negligible.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

I've actually been testing out Tortured Existence for the Legacy Open in Syracuse coming up. I'll post a list shortly.

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I've actually been testing out Tortured Existence for the Legacy Open in Syracuse coming up. I'll post a list shortly.
    We playing basics in this list? or a higher number or lands? Being able to activate this more than once consistently seems a stretch.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Hopefully running street wraith with that. :)
    -rob

(I'm not necessarily playing it at the Open, but I'm testing it out first.)

Tried a few iterations with Tortured Existence - it still needs more work. I do think, however, that it has potential. The ability to recur creatures that would otherwise be countered and provide utility is pretty nasty (i.e. Faerie Macabre).

I just think the shell has to be perfect, and unfortunately within the context of Dredge, there are just better combinations of cards.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

I'm coming out of the woodwork to play some legacy. What list is everyone running with and without Tortured Existence?
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    I'm coming out of the woodwork to play some legacy. What list is everyone running with and without Tortured Existence?
    I haven't tried playing with Tortured Existence; I've been running a pretty stock (I believe) build at the moment:
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Ichorid
    4 Bridge from Below
    4 Narcomoeba
    2 Putrid Imp

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Street Wraith
    3 Breakthrough
    2 Careful Study
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Cephalid Coliseum
    4 Mana Confluence
    3 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Nature's Claim
    2 Serenity
    2 Lotus Petal
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Dread Return
    1 Ashen Rider

I have been considering some split of Stitcher's Supplier and Street Wraiths though, instead of the full 4. In the games I've played, I just haven't felt like it does a ton. I'm not sure that supplier would be that much better, but the list still feels pretty good to me, and I haven't had a ton of time to grind out and test many changes.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Quote Originally Posted by niv View Post
    I haven't tried playing with Tortured Existence; I've been running a pretty stock (I believe) build at the moment:
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Ichorid
    4 Bridge from Below
    4 Narcomoeba
    2 Putrid Imp

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Street Wraith
    3 Breakthrough
    2 Careful Study
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Cephalid Coliseum
    4 Mana Confluence
    3 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Nature's Claim
    2 Serenity
    2 Lotus Petal
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Dread Return
    1 Ashen Rider

I have been considering some split of Stitcher's Supplier and Street Wraiths though, instead of the full 4. In the games I've played, I just haven't felt like it does a ton. I'm not sure that supplier would be that much better, but the list still feels pretty good to me, and I haven't had a ton of time to grind out and test many changes.

Thanks for the list. I haven't been too impressed by SW as well, but I haven't grinded enough games with it. Just been a break even card at best for me .

I've been running a bloodghast list as I'm working with what I have. Currently placing an order from MKM to pick up extra goodies in my pimp of choice to fill out the slots I'm missing.

I'll try and work on a TE deck as I think it'd be fun to test at my weeklies.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Could you post the list you've been using please :)
    What it takes to be a pimp:
    1. Knowing the right people.
    2. Have the money
    Not one or the other, but both.

The fastest way to become a millionare is to start with a billion dollars, then start collecting magic cards, eh? - dry cereal

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Shenanigans.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

gives a lot of ideas for the new 8/8 convoke/delve guy. didn't notice but you can actually use bridge tokens to pay for the convoke and cast one hogaak into another hogaak to legendary rule generate more tokens. (not sure if it's great here, but maybe worth exploring)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRlB...aD7_fG4dc3fsbU
    -rob

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Yesterday I played in a Legacy weekly. There were 4 rounds, 16 people I think. I played thelist from the youtube video https://youtu.be/JY0KjhMGLS0, except my sideboard was:

4 LotV
    3 Claim
    1 Wispmare
    2 Serenity
    3 Silent Gravestone
    1 Dread Return
    1 Ashen Rider

The list felt extremely resilient, I was able to go off through double Force with Wasteland backup once.

Short summary:

R1G1: I have a broken start where I flip half my library but he doesn't scoop to therapy. He shows me S&T, Progenitus, Shardless, lands. ??? He tells me he plays he owns from ~Scars. I win.
    R1G2: He mulls to 5 and asks "pregame actions?" and puts two cards face down on the table. I groan. Then he shows me 2 Chancellor of the Tangle, Trop, S&T, Progenitus. I put in a land but I'm too slow. So far I have not seen any hate.
    R1G3: I go off like crazy, therapy shows me a hand of SSG, Shardless, Hypergenesis (the jig is up) and ramdom fatties: Emrakul, Maelstorm wanderer, Progenitus. He fails to find a second land and I win.

1-0

R2G1: I go off T1, he scoops. I board in Claims.
    R2G2: Savannah, GSZ -> Arbor. I start on T1 Therapy naming Scooze. He shows me a hand with a second GSZ and I loose after a few turns and Knight -> bog. He is a really good player and knows how to play this matchup. After the game we discuss my therapy. My reasoning was that I don't think he has a second GSZ but wants to setup T2 Scooze w/ activation mana up. He tells me that him playing T1 GSZ basically guarantees a second one in hand as he wouldn't waste it on ramp. I think he's right.
    R2G3: He has Tormod's, Surgical, Bog, and creatures. Too much varied hate.

1-1

R3G1: I know he's on merfolk with max. amount of 2-drop lords. I vomit my hand and he only has Spell Pierce. I win.
    R3G2: No hate, but he has Force, Spell Pierce, 2 Lords and TNN. Close, but he races me as I dredge 0 Ichorids, Bridges or Narcs in the top 40 cards.
    R3G3: Greatest game of the day. I mull into: Land, Land, Pimp, LED, Careful Study, Looting, Ichorid. Bottom Ichorid. T1 I start on Study, he forces. LED, he forces pitching Spell Pierce. He wastes my land and is on 3 cards. I draw a dredger and play looting. Next turn I am able to coliseum and therapy twice, taking all the cards in his hand. He is super salty.

2-1

R4G1:Volcanic Island go. I play LED and he tanks. Resolves. I follow up with 2nd LED (no lander) and discard Looting + GGT to start dredging. He Chain Lightnings me. I therapy and see a hand of Enigma Drake, Bolt, Brainstorm, lands, Spell Pierce. I win. I board in petal and 2x Silent Gravestone (he has Snapcaster and Arcanist)
    R4G2: He tempos me out, arcanist is reaaally stron and I have no pressure.
    R4G3: I keep a slow hand with 2x therapy and Thug. He flips his T1 delver and wins on the last possible turn when I'm at 9 with Arcanist, Bolt me, Maximize Velocity. GG.
    I think I should have aggressively mulliganed to a broken hand G3. I keep losing to UR tempo. Arcanist gives them soo much gas, in R3G3 I destroyed merfolk because he had to cripple himself with double force, but UR can rebuild so quickly. After the game he told me he had no surgicals, so Gravestones were definitely a mistake, had I known that.

2-2

All in all a great tournament with great people, although I played against many weird decks. The dredge list felt really explosive, Street Wraith are not good right now as hate is pretty varied. Hogaak was good, but not that necessary. Whenever I cast him it was after already having multiple threats on board. It's good against Delver and Pile I guess.
    Didn't see a single Leyline all day.

Aug 2010
    Germany

Hello everyone,

this weekend I made 2. place (4-1) at a small tournament (25 people) with dredge. I played the following list:

Main:

4 Golgari Grave Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    3 Golgari Thug
    2 Hogaak
    4 Putrid Imp
    4 Ichorid
    4 Cabal T.
    4 Nacomoeba
    4 Bridge from B.
    3 Breakthrough
    3 Careful Study
    4 Faithless Loothing
    4 LED
    4 Cephalid C.
    2 Gemstone Mine
    3 Mana Confluence
    4 City of Brass

Side:

2 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline oft he Void
    1 Dread Return
    1 Ashen Rider
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Natures Claim
    2 Whispmare
    1 Shenanigans

1. Round: UW Blade (1-2):
    Game 1: Dredge does what it does best. He has no chance.
    Game 2: He forces 2 LEDs. I have no other discard outlet. I scoop when he plays Ashiok Dream Render.
    Game 3: I manage slowly to dredge every turn but I have to scoop as soon as he plays Containment Priest. GG ;)

2. Round: Dragon Stompy (2-0):
    Game 1: Again a fast start. He has no chance.
    Game 2: He mulls to 3 to get a Leyline but I have a Natures Claim in my hand. Ha managed o play an Ensnaring Bridge on turn 2. I have to dredge my whole deck to find Ashen Rider and the Dread Return.

3. Round: RB Reanimator (2-0):
    Game 1: Again a fast start. He doesn’t play Elesh Norn so I win pretty fast.
    Game 2: I have Leyline in my opener. He has no out but it takes pretty long until I get a dredger in my graveyard. Second turn he reanimates my Thug ;). He also played a Gravetitan in this game but at this point it was already too late.

4. Round: Eldrazi (2-1):
    Game 1: Fast start = fast win.
    Game 2: He starts with Leyline and Chalice on 1 on his first turn. The second turn Thrinisphere. GG
    Game 3: We both takes mulligan on 4. He has no Leyline. I have an ok start. He scoops on turn 4 or 5.

5. Round: SneakShow (2-0):
    Game 1: I have an ok start and a lot of therapies. He didn’t manage to get a fattie into play.
    Game 2: Same as game 1. Therapies wins me the game.
    We play an additional game for fun. Same outcome as Game 1+2.

Dredge made a lot of fun this weekend. I’m not sure if 2 Hoogaks are really necessary, but it feels good to play he fatty on turn 2. ;)

Anyone have experience with Creeping Chill? Looks like it has some merit, there is a version that did well with Chill on a recent Legacy Challenge. Seems pretty good against decks like RUG.

https://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=31738&iddeck=273710
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by StefN View Post
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    Why so many decklists run 2 Leyline of Sanctity in the sideboard? I've seen them also in the Dredge that placed 9th at MagicFest Atlanta.
    I also see a lack of cards against Containment Priest. How did Adam Colletta reach the 9th place without cards against Containment Priest?

Aug 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post
    Why so many decklists run 2 Leyline of Sanctity in the sideboard? I've seen them also in the Dredge that placed 9th at MagicFest Atlanta.
    I also see a lack of cards against Containment Priest. How did Adam Colletta reach the 9th place without cards against Containment Priest?
    The white Leyline is good against Bojuka Bog, Tormods Crypt, discard heavy decks and Storm Combo. On the other hand, when your opponent is playing Containment Priest, this doesn't mean that you auto lose. You can still dredge Thugs + hardcast them and Therapy your opponent to produce Zombietokens. To play a sideboard card (Firestorm) just for Containment Priest that functions as a discard outlet but you have to keep it in your hand for the right moment is pretty bad.
    Last edited by StefN; 09-26-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Also, remember that Hogaak is still castable through Priest, so it's not nearly the concern it used to be :)

Thread Information