Thread: [SCD] Jarad's Orders

[SCD] Jarad's Orders

Was looking at this card for a modern brew earlier today and I thought about how once upon a time, this would have been a borderline playable Legacy card, maybe even really good in extended. For reference:

Jarad's Orders
    2BG
    Sorcery
    Search your library for two creature cards and reveal them. Put one into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Like, it's Eladamri's Call + Entomb. You could Loyal Retainers + fattie, or some similar combo all on it's own, or in, say, a Rock deck, you could put Genesis or Wonder into the 'yard and whatever you needed into your hand.

I mean, time had obviously passed this thing by by the time it was printed. But man, in some older versions of the format, this could have really been a solid, fun, fair piece of tech.

In some ways it's kind of sad how much power creep has limited what we can play with competitively so much. I mean, to see play now, this would have to be what, a two maaaayyybbeee three mana Instant?

Anyone else think of any newer cards that "man, that would have been epic/fun/solid back in the day"?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [SCD] Jarad's Orders

Basically any green 2 drop not named goyf. Any green draw spell because they aren't brainstorm. Not a specific card, but just the raw efficiency of the format really pushes out anything that isn't completely streamlined. Not even talking about the combo decks, but also delver and deathrite have made it so you really can't do much in the way of interesting interactions often. And shit like true name pushes many creatures to unplayable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

This card as a 2 mana instant would be broken beyond belief.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

the card actually just needs to be a 3 mana card and its playable in legacy. You could combo it with loyal retainers + fatty. If you could cast this on turn 2 with a DRS for mana you could grab a loyal retainers, dump a fatty, and have reanimate for it next turn. It gets all your pieces and puts them in the right spot for you in 1 card which makes it incredibly efficient. The issue is that it cost 1 mana too much. In legacy 1 mana makes or breaks a card. Think of all the legacy playable cards and how much worse they become if you have to pay 1 more colorless mana. Think about 3 cmc cards specifically. Show and tell, flickerwisp, Liliana of the veil, true name nemesis, knight of the reliquary, trinisphere....

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    This card as a 2 mana instant would be broken beyond belief.
    Yea. this would give rise to a control heavy version of reanimator. It would be better than worldly tutor and entomb combined. Which is why i think 3 mana is a fair cost for it and you can keep it at sorcery.

If you think about it, mana cost is what truly makes or breaks a card. WOTC could expand the playable legacy card pool by enacting a rule like "anything printed in the last 5 years and going forward into the future, when played in legacy has its mana cost reduced by 1 colorless mana". I cant think of any glaring examples that would break the format. WOTC doesnt design cards with legacy in mind generally. Occasionally cards like abrupt decay get printed to target problems in legacy but its rare.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Anticipate for 1 mana... probably pretty busted? Funny it still isn't as busted as brainstorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

You could probably play this as a fun-of if you didn't care about your Eternal rating.

I don't think this card ever compares favourably to Natural Order...
    Maybe pre-Progenitus when the best thing you could cheat into play was like Verdant Force

with 10 fatties you have almost 90% to have seen one without even topdeck manipulation.

Reanimator decks overall plays Entomb which highs the probability and topdeck manipulation/advantage suxh as Carefull Study/Brainstorm/Ponder

It wouldn't be needed even an Instant, forgot as a Sorcery

Thread Information