Thread: Smash-Trap (RBG-mid)

Smash-Trap (Jund-mid thing)

Brewed this up.

Looks a little janky, but it's been a ton of fun and I think there's potential in a build like this. Needlebite Trap (enabled by Grove) with Vial Smasher the Fierce online is a 17-point life swing for B.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 15 Creature
    4 Vial Smasher the Fierce
    2 Gurmag Angler
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Ingot Chewer

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library

// 17 Instant
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Pyrokinesis
    4 Needlebite Trap
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Kolaghan's Command

// 21 Land
    1 Mountain
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Taiga
    2 Bayou
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Thoughtseize

// 16 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 2 Ingot Chewer
    SB: 2 Offalsnout

// 10 Instant
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 4 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Volcanic Fallout
    SB: 2 Destructive Revelry
    // 1 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Massacre
    Last edited by mcfarland; 08-15-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Re: Smash-Trap (Jund-mid thing)

Looks awesome!

Re: Smash-Trap (Jund-mid thing)

Quote Originally Posted by mcfarland View Post
    Brewed this up.

Looks a little janky, but it's been a ton of fun and I think there's potential in a build like this. Needlebite Trap (enabled by Grove) with Vial Smasher the Fierce online is a 17-point life swing for B.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 15 Creature
    4 Vial Smasher the Fierce
    2 Gurmag Angler
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Ingot Chewer

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library

// 17 Instant
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Pyrokinesis
    4 Needlebite Trap
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Kolaghan's Command

// 21 Land
    1 Mountain
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Cavern of Souls
    1 Taiga
    2 Bayou
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Thoughtseize

// 16 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 2 Ingot Chewer
    SB: 2 Offalsnout

// 10 Instant
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 4 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Volcanic Fallout
    SB: 2 Destructive Revelry
    // 1 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Massacre

this looks like real fun. few thoughts:

1) is cabal therapy worth a shot with young pyro?
    2) is kavu predator too cute?

i just ordered the smashers woohoo great list! any results or mu/primer material?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Smash-Trap (RBG-mid)

i would maybe run some more discard maindeck. this should help protect against combo a little better and also protect your vial smasher from removal. looks like a fun idea. too bad you couldn't squeeze a fireblast in there!
    -rob

mcfarland, did you come up with this yourself? If so, I salute you!

How about a grixis list?

Ponder+Brainstorm + Thunderous Wrath looks very good with Vial Smasher online. Also it's less narrow than Goblin+Grove+Trap.
    Force of Willing them for 5 seems interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    How about a grixis list?

Ponder+Brainstorm + Thunderous Wrath looks very good with Vial Smasher online. Also it's less narrow than Goblin+Grove+Trap.
    Force of Willing them for 5 seems interesting too.

Better question, why play a worse version of grixis when there are established decks?

the grixis version has been explored it runs a wrath or two but isn't very inspiring compared to an already proven grixis deck.

exciting to see some non-blue brews, god forbid someone doesn't play brainstorm

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

I like the BR base. For a splash I would consider W. Swords to Plowshares is always efficient but even more so to activate Trap more.
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigar View Post
    mcfarland, did you come up with this yourself? If so, I salute you!
    Yup! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i would maybe run some more discard maindeck. this should help protect against combo a little better and also protect your vial smasher from removal. looks like a fun idea. too bad you couldn't squeeze a fireblast in there!
    Had an earlier version with Hymn that didn't work, but Therapy might be nice since I've got YP. Fireblast would be wonderful if I could support it.

Quote Originally Posted by 11poster925 View Post
    Better question, why play a worse version of grixis when there are established decks?

the grixis version has been explored it runs a wrath or two but isn't very inspiring compared to an already proven grixis deck.

exciting to see some non-blue brews, god forbid someone doesn't play brainstorm
    Yeah, had an earlier version using Force. Seemed good, but ultimately wasn't as good as another grix list. Wanted to build this as a non-blue list I'd be excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfarland View Post
    Yeah, had an earlier version using Force. Seemed good, but ultimately wasn't as good as another grix list. Wanted to build this as a non-blue list I'd be excited about.
    i tested the rbg build tonight felt good. i'm running 3 kavu predator in place of a 4th young pyro,sylvan library and a land. predator felt good with fires engine. i feel like a white splash would be good for swords/fiery justice. might be cute but felt like i need more life triggers so i'll test with RBgw and see how it goes.

I ran out the BRg version last night casual CFB legacy with some slight mods from the primer/author's list:

-4 thoughtseize
    +4 cabal therapy

-1 sylvan library
    -4 lightning bolts
    +3 hymn to tourach
    +1 punishing fire

-2 gurmag anglar
    -1 young pyromancer
    +2 tombstalker
    +3 scab-clan berserker

went 1-2 but could have been 2-1 as matchup was fine. I need to tweak and test more but here are some notes and also some request for input on the jund build-

Round 1/ Mono black Pox, 0-2

I get hymn'd twice in each game, i was able to sneak a hymn in and clean up his mishra's factories with p. fires. I bring compost [compost] next week to address the weakness to discard.dec

Round 2/ Bug Food chain, 1-2
    Friendly opponent, I hymn and burn him out game 1. I didn't see the food chain or pieces game one, so i boarded for sultai midrange. Game 2, he goes off with foodchain around turn 5. I cabal'd the ballista to keep my young pyro going but he assembles anyhow.
    Game 3, i board in life's legacy golgari charm and i get to life's legacy his food chains. how i wish i could hit ballista but can't touch artifacts with life's legacy. So after contemplating i took the food chains and he gets his draw four. The game grinds but he gets there with clique beats. I burned golgari charm early and could have spared this one.

Round 3/ 4color control, 2-1
    Losers bracket fighting for the pack! I'm on the play, whiff on cabal for fow- but opp commences to durdle cantrip until i burn him out. Vial smasher had a great showing, pyrokinesis slayed many a dearhrite and tombstalker outraced his gurmag.
    Game 2, he's able to k command, snap, k command me while controlling the board. Game 3, Pyrokinesis stops his clock until i get scab clan berserker swinging. I finish with reb 's on his snaps and pyrokinesis his strix ftw.

Some notes-

Cabal therapy was good with pyro but whiffed. i need more time on deck and maybe 2/2 split of thoughtseize and therapy.

Scab clan berserkers were great, maybe 2 are good 1 in sb

Lightning bolts- felt like i could use the reach but felt like too much straight burn. thoughts??
    wastelands- maybe it's worth a try for 2-3, to stay ahead with deathrites, hit karakas or help fill delve??
    Game of grinding jund cards / other high cost or delve cards to push this strategy?? I know some liliana of the veil would be nice but was also thinking a bird of paradise or two for strong 3s on turn two.

haven't tested the BRgw brew because i want to get more testing on this jund core. lmk your thoughts cheers

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Kavu fuckin' Predator dood...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Kavu fuckin' Predator dood...

yeah i didn't run the kavu last outing but do like them with the full set of grove. maybe i'll cut 1 scab clan, a p fire and a hymn to get 3 predators in.

Thread Information