Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    Yesterday, I came in 1st Place after 7 rounds of swiss of 80 players for the MTG First Game Center with Punishing Maverick.
    I will be doing a LIVE Tournament Report on Wednesday, 2/8, at 7pm EST on either tinychat or twitch. Will figure that out later.
    I didn't get a chance to see the stream. I'm interested in looking at your list. I have been playing pun maverick for the last couple months but picked up the cards for all the other versions. I just haven't seen a reason to play anyother version of the deck in the current competitive meta. Am I wrong in being so dismissive of the other more conventional lists?

Quote Originally Posted by Rancor85 View Post
    I didn't get a chance to see the stream. I'm interested in looking at your list. I have been playing pun maverick for the last couple months but picked up the cards for all the other versions. I just haven't seen a reason to play anyother version of the deck in the current competitive meta. Am I wrong in being so dismissive of the other more conventional lists?
    Maverick is a deck that benefits greatly from being tuned to a specific meta. If yours is filled with Miracles and 4c Control lists then the red version is probably the right call. On the other hand, if you see a good amount of combo, you probably want a more streamlined version with mainboard Thalias.

The same advice applies to your hatebear choice: Don't just copy a list, adapt it to your meta. The deck being a toolbox one allows us to shape it exactly how we need it to be.

Am I wrong in being so dismissive of the other more conventional lists?
    The only thing you should be dismissive of RE the other versions of Maverick is the name "Abzan Leovold." Everything else is a matter of preference and meta and how much you hate yourself.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    The only thing you should be dismissive of RE the other versions of Maverick is the name "Abzan Leovold." Everything else is a matter of preference and meta and how much you hate yourself.
    Do you prefer Punishing Abzan Leovold?

Aug 2014
    Central New York

This is a very intelligent question but unfortunately none of us can answer it directly. In short, a 4 color maverick deck winning in the meta is worth examining. I wouldn’t call you “wrong” by casting aside more conventional offerings because nothing else is really placing. The flip side (and the reason the answer is complicated) is because Maverick is also seeing limited play. It’s hard to put up numbers when people aren’t running the deck a lot.

My own take on the format right now is that nothing aside from Burn (red), Eldrazi (colorless), and Dredge (free/colorless) is mono-colored. Death and Taxes is mostly white but even they are shifting to red variants or three color concoctions. I bring this up because a traditional GW list can probably thrive right now. Vial lists can certainly do damage. I’ve been thinking about going back to what makes the deck work: Thalia, mana denial, and Knight backed by Mom and Zenith. I think ghost quarter is criminally underrated right now because manabases are SO fragile. Likewise, Deathrite is the glue for most top decks. He’s fairly easy to eliminate or deny. We have more than enough toys in Scooze, Mindcensor, Prelate, Teeg, and Leovold to play the denial game across the whole format. The two things I question are 1) does SFM do enough in this meta? 2) How do we beat fast combo (the chunk of the meta that isn’t fair)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    Do you prefer Punishing Abzan Leovold?
    Lol. I would register Maverick w/ Leovold as Captain Cool Mint and the Righteous Dudettes.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    Lol. I would register Maverick w/ Leovold as Captain Cool Mint and the Righteous Dudettes.
    If only SCG showcased the names people register their deck as...

Hey all-

I'm going to be the legacy player for the SCG team event in baltimore in May, and I'm wondering which of these builds you guys would take and start grinding. I have no team event experience and therefor no idea what types of decks ppl bring (e.g. more easy win combo or more delver/pile type decks, etc.).

Here are the options I'm considering:

1) Stock Abzan list, possibly with the trop splash for leovold (This is the one I normally use)
    2) Abzan list but cutting SFM and just doing 2 Jittes for more blue splash and mana dorks and/or dark depths.
    3) Punishing splash black for DRS, still use thalia
    4) Punishing like the list Mister Tyrik Strachan won with, which has no thalia at all and the depths combo.

Any thoughts are welcomed here, I want to settle on a list now and have 3 months of heavy testing before the event, and I'll likely be doing SCG richmond in September too. Thanks in advance!

The stream didn't save properly to Twitch as I can't find it anywhere. (My bad, I will be much more prepared for the future).

To answer @Rancor85 question. It really depends on you meta. My philisophy of magic in general is this:
    There are thee categorizes when it comes down to favorbility (Yes I made up this word) ; Section A (I'm mostly favored against this deck), Section B (I'm 50/50 favored against this deck), and Section C (I"m most unfavored against this deck).

I took that mindset and applied it to my meta. Here are the decks that are popular in my meta IMO (Baltimore area)
    1.) Grixis Delver
    2.) UR Delver
    3.) Death and Taxes
    4.) Lands
    5.) 4c Pile
    6.) Sneak and Show
    7.) Miracles
    8.) BUG Variant (it alters between Delver and Food Chain)

I choose Punishing Maverick + DD because it has a higher percentage against fair decks, and a low percentage against unfair decks. I would rather focus on beating the decks in the A and B section, and concede to C section decks. Now that doesn't mean its an auto-loss. However, I don't really spend that many slots trying to beat those decks, because 1.) The meta isn't that combo-heavy anyways, so I can get away with that, and 2.) Grixis Delver is keeping those decks on check (Storm and Sneak and Show).

Your Meta might be different from me, but you have to make that decision for yourself. DO you want to be consistent between both fair and unfair decks? or do you want to be more favored in one instead of the other? That is your call.

The stream didn't save properly to Twitch as I can't find it anywhere. (My bad, I will be much more prepared for the future).

To answer @Rancor85 question. It really depends on you meta. My philisophy of magic in general is this:
    There are thee categorizes when it comes down to favorbility (Yes I made up this word) ; Section A (I'm mostly favored against this deck), Section B (I'm 50/50 favored against this deck), and Section C (I"m most unfavored against this deck).

I took that mindset and applied it to my meta. Here are the decks that are popular in my meta IMO (Baltimore area)
    1.) Grixis Delver
    2.) UR Delver
    3.) Death and Taxes
    4.) Lands
    5.) 4c Pile
    6.) Sneak and Show
    7.) Miracles
    8.) BUG Variant (it alters between Delver and Food Chain)

I choose Punishing Maverick + DD because it has a higher percentage against fair decks, and a low percentage against unfair decks. I would rather focus on beating the decks in the A and B section, and concede to C section decks. Now that doesn't mean its an auto-loss. However, I don't really spend that many slots trying to beat those decks, because 1.) The meta isn't that combo-heavy anyways, so I can get away with that, and 2.) Grixis Delver is keeping those decks on check (Storm and Sneak and Show).

Your Meta might be different from me, but you have to make that decision for yourself. DO you want to be consistent between both fair and unfair decks? or do you want to be more favored in one instead of the other? That is your call.
    I guess I've been trying to beat everything because my meta is all over the place. I had a list that I had been tweaking but was having a hard time vs. Combo.
    This is that list

Creatures (22)
    1 Granger guildmage
    1*Birds of Paradise
    3*Deathrite Shaman
    4*Knight of the Reliquary
    4*Mother of Runes
    1*Noble Hierarch
    1*Qasali Pridemage
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1*Ramunap Excavator
    1*Scavenging Ooze
    1*Scryb Ranger
    2*Stoneforge Mystic
    1*Gaddock Teeg
    1*Dryad Arbor
    Lands (23)
    1*Forest
    1*Plains
    1*Bayou
    3*Grove of the Burnwillows
    1*Plateau
    2*Savannah
    1*Taiga
    1*Thespian's Stage
    3*Wasteland
    4*Windswept Heath
    3*Wooded Foothills
    1*Karakas
    1*Dark Depths

Spells (15)
    1*Sword of Fire and Ice
    1*Sylvan Library
    3*Punishing Fire
    4*Swords to Plowshares
    1*Umezawa's Jitte
    4*Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard
    1*Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Enlightened tutor
    1*Reclamation Sage
    2*Choke
    2*Crop Rotation
    2*Pyroblast
    1*Red Elemental Blast
    1*Zealous Persecution
    1*Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1*Fiery Justice
    1*Bojuka Bog
    1 Armageddon

Clearly without thalia I'm going to do poorly against combo but loved having the punishing fires for delver/miracles.
    I thought it was a no no playing both thalia and punishing fire in the main. I saw strassbaw's list a few pages back and have been testing it out as a reference before making my own tweaks. To my surprise the thalias haven't really been a hindrance with punishing fire. I have felt like the deck now has more of a game against everything. I have been picking up wins against combo I would normally scoop to. With a couple 1ks coming up here in New England next weekend I'm hoping to put some final tweaks on this version for the starcity open in Worcester at the beginning of March. I think that punishing fire is to good not to run at this time against the top decks I would expect to see in the next few competitive events.

@Rancor85.

What is your meta? I'm curious as the reasoning for running Guildmage and Renegade. Strassbaw and I come from two schools of thought when it comes to Punishing Maverick.

I guess I've been trying to beat everything because my meta is all over the place. I had a list that I had been tweaking but was having a hard time vs. Combo.
    This is that list

Creatures (22)
    1 Granger guildmage
    1*Birds of Paradise
    3*Deathrite Shaman
    4*Knight of the Reliquary
    4*Mother of Runes
    1*Noble Hierarch
    1*Qasali Pridemage
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1*Ramunap Excavator
    1*Scavenging Ooze
    1*Scryb Ranger
    2*Stoneforge Mystic
    1*Gaddock Teeg
    1*Dryad Arbor
    Lands (23)
    1*Forest
    1*Plains
    1*Bayou
    3*Grove of the Burnwillows
    1*Plateau
    2*Savannah
    1*Taiga
    1*Thespian's Stage
    3*Wasteland
    4*Windswept Heath
    3*Wooded Foothills
    1*Karakas
    1*Dark Depths

Spells (15)
    1*Sword of Fire and Ice
    1*Sylvan Library
    3*Punishing Fire
    4*Swords to Plowshares
    1*Umezawa's Jitte
    4*Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard
    1*Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Enlightened tutor
    1*Reclamation Sage
    2*Choke
    2*Crop Rotation
    2*Pyroblast
    1*Red Elemental Blast
    1*Zealous Persecution
    1*Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1*Fiery Justice
    1*Bojuka Bog
    1 Armageddon

Clearly without thalia I'm going to do poorly against combo but loved having the punishing fires for delver/miracles.
    I thought it was a no no playing both thalia and punishing fire in the main. I saw strassbaw's list a few pages back and have been testing it out as a reference before making my own tweaks. To my surprise the thalias haven't really been a hindrance with punishing fire. I have felt like the deck now has more of a game against everything. I have been picking up wins against combo I would normally scoop to. With a couple 1ks coming up here in New England next weekend I'm hoping to put some final tweaks on this version for the starcity open in Worcester at the beginning of March. I think that punishing fire is to good not to run at this time against the top decks I would expect to see in the next few competitive events.

@Rancor85.

What is your meta? I'm curious as the reasoning for running Guildmage and Renegade. Strassbaw and I come from two schools of thought when it comes to Punishing Maverick.

The meta here in southern maine is all over the place. This week at fnm I played against Ant, lands, esper stoneblade and elves. The week before was bomberman, reanimator DnT and grixis delver.

My thought process on adding both guildmage and renegade was I could have more removal/recovery. Having a 1 drop removal creature I could green sun for seemed bonkers. He is amazing against czec pile and DnT.
    Renegade was more of a bring back a wasteland or stoneforge utility play. Strassbaw's list is here and I have been doing very well with it.

Maindeck (60)
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Bayou
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Ajani Vengeant
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog

Apr 2017
    Santa Barbara, California

So I'm putting together a DARK MAVERICK for GP Seattle, although I might play Reanimator, still deciding, and I want to build around Sanctum Prelate. After playing D&T and returning to Maverick, I realized that Sanctum Prelate is absolutely busted, and I believe that its potential remains somewhat untapped. I'm also contemplating running the tradition G/W version. Either way, I'm focusing on a creature-heavy list building around Sanctum Prelate.
    Love to hear your thoughts, here's my current list. (it's a 61 card list because 24 lands is too many for a 60 card deck)

2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bojuka Bog

1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ramunap Excavator

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Green's Sun Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay

Sideboard
    2 Choke
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    3 Santum Prelate
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

Just looking for thoughts or criticisms. Thank you.
    MTGO: Cucaracha_Gigante
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

Hi to all :)

I wanna ask you to help me with deciding witch build to chose couse i have a tournament tomoorow.
    In my local store thare are not lot opf ppl playing but around 10-12
    So the meta is goblins, d&t, eldrazi, merfolk, standstill/storm, ur delver ,
    Maverick? and nic fit.

I thought to play gwb thespian stage depths and thoughtseize in main
    Dont wanna play punishing fire, so if you can give me some advice about creatures for this meta
    Thanks in advance

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

@Leonides:

sounds like a very fair meta - and with GWb you should be in a great position.
    i dont think there is any good creature you could play beside the normal creature-list.
    SFM with Jitte,Sword Fire/Ice and Batterskull and 2 Qasali Pridemage should be your best friends.

in the sideboard i would bring in Massremoval ala Zealous Persecution/Toxic Deluge
    and cards like pithing needle (for Aether Vial,Krenko,Sharpshooter,Pernicious Deed,etc) and Reclamation Sage
    Choke, Abrupt Decay, Sanctum Prelate etc....

Yeah, what do u think about renegade rallier in main and do you havesome experience playing it so any thoughts?
    This is the list i wanna run on the related meta:

1x bayou
    1x overgrown tomb
    2x savannah
    1x scrubland
    1x horizon canopy
    1x karakas
    1x forest
    1x plains
    4x windswpth heath
    4x v. Catacombs
    4x wasteland
    1x stage
    1x depths
    1x Dryad arbor
    Creatures and spells
    4x knight
    1x birds
    1x noble
    3x deathrite shaman
    3x sfm
    3x mother
    3x thalia
    1x qasali pride mage
    1x ooze
    1x gaddock teeg
    1x ramunap excavator
    1x scryb ranger
    4x zenith
    1x thoughtseize
    1xbatterskull
    1x jitte
    1x sword fire&ice
    4x swords to plowsheres
    1x abrupt decay

Side:
    1x abrupt decay
    2x zelouse persecution
    1x deluge
    2x surgical
    1x cannonist
    1x councila judgment
    1x thalia
    1x choke
    1xqasali pridemage
    1x sanctum prelate
    1x liliana of the veil
    1x thoughtseize
    1x containemt pries / pithing needle

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

@Leonides:
    i would swap the 1 Thoughtseize with the Qasali Pridemage from the Sideboard or add an Renegade Rallier in its place. (this card is pretty sweet)
    then i would cut the thalia from sideboard and add an additional Canonist.
    good luck to you and let us know how it works

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Got 10th in a 32 man tourney today. I made some tweaks playtesting last week and played with this list today, which is by far the most consistent Maverick list I've played.

Main 61
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Ramunap Excavator

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Enchantments
    1 Sylvan Library

2 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Faerie Macabre
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Choke

R1: Burn
    G1: Stabilized at 2 life with a Jitte, opponent ended up scooping.
    G2: Opponent kept a hand with some Smash in it, got me to 8 life. I get 2 Knights on board, swing in, Wasteland all of my non-basics which makes each Knight an 8/8. I'm at 8 life and opponent can only deal me 7 so he scoops.

R2: RUG Lands
    G1: Opponent draws poorly and I go to town with Knight beatdown.
    G2: Similar to G1
    We played an extra game afterwards and he stomped me, so I certainly got lucky.

R3: TES
    G1: Opponent Burning Wishes for Petition, looking to get Empty, but forgot Empty was in his graveyard thanks to LED. He scoops.
    G2: I keep a hand with Persecution; opponent manages to T2 me with Tendrils.
    G3: I keep a hand with Mom and 2x Thalia. Opponent manages to T1 me with a no lander. What can ya do? *shrug*

R4: RW D&T
    G1: I get mana screwed and he does the D&T thing. I scoop to active equipment when I fail to find a third land.
    G2: I play D&T better than he does and get mana denial going thanks to Pithing Needle on Vial. Qasali Pridemage beatdown!
    G3: He doesn't see a Vial and only non-basics so I wasteland him out of the game. Thanks Ramunap Excavator!

R5: D&T
    G1: T1 Vial, T2 Revoker naming my Pridemage. Ends up getting a Jitte active on a Serra Avenger and I lose.
    G2: Exact same start for him. I manage to stay in the game quite a bit longer thanks to Persecution but he gets both Avenger and Mirran Crusader on board and I punted with a bad attack which lost me the game on the return swing.

I didn't feel like I could've done anything different with the TES matchup, but I definitely punted the D&T matchup. Still happy with the build, though.

Hello everyone! I went to Legacy 1K at Gaming etc. on February 17th, there were 90+ people who showed up. It was upgraded to a 2k.
    I made 9th place winning ($50), and I did not know if I could draw in the last round to make top 8 so I played it out losing in the last round going 5-2.

My deck list is Abzan Maverick

Creatures 24
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Thalia, guardian of thraben
    2 stoneforge mystic
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    1 renegade rallier
    3 knight of the reliquary
    1 tireless tracker
    1 scryb ranger
    4 mother of runes
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 noble hierarch
    1 scavenging ooze

Instant
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to plowshares

Sorcery
    4 Green sun's zenith
    1 vindicate

artifacts
    1 umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Enchantments
    1 Sylvan library

Lands 22
    1 snow-covered plains
    2 forest
    1 maze of ith
    2 savannah
    2 bayou
    1 karakas
    1 marsh flats
    4 windswept heath
    4 wasteland
    1 horizon canopy
    2 verdant catacombs
    1 wooded foothills

Sideboard
    3 leyline of the void
    1 golgari charm
    2 zealous persecution
    2 containment priest
    1 choke
    1 garruk relentless
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 reclamation sage
    2 warmth

Big shout out to Ol'e Arty from the maverick's discord channel, he took time out of his night to help me make this decklist with the cards I owned. Only thing I did different was add the sword of fire and ice to the main making it a 61 main board. He helped me a great deal if you are reading this thank you!

Rounds out of 7
    1: 2-0 Grixis Pyromancer
    2: 2-1 Topless Miracles
    3: 2-1 Bug Control
    4: 1-2 Renimator
    5: 2-0 4c control
    6: 2-1 Storm
    7: 1-2 Mono Red Sneak attack
    overall record 5-2 out of seven rounds I made 9th place

Note: There were a lot of people at 15 points in the last round my opponent and I played it out sadly I lost, and about 10-15 minutes later another guy lost on the left of me. The group sitting to my right after playing, and having a winner decided to just draw after the fact that myself and another guy lost in the last round. After they did that it placed both of them in top 8 at 16 points. I had 15...I guess I am just salty because they almost waited to see who was drawing in and who played so they could just draw to get in top 8. I can understand if you draw from the start but they played it out had a winner, and split because they knew 2 other people had lost which I was one of them, putting themselves in top 8 which I don't know if any of that is even legal...

This will be pretty quick because I did not write enough notes for every move game its just bits of what I can remember.
    Round 1 Grixis- I won the die roll
    G1 he mulled to 5, conceded to a thalia, mother, and a knight.
    G2 game 2 was pretty quick with lockout with thalia, mother and a knight waste land stopped him.
    2-0

Round 2 Topless Miracles- I won the die roll
    Game 1 I lost just grinded me to death out drawing and beating me with snap caster
    Game 2 I was able to lock him out of the game with teeg, mother, and just beat him with my dryad arbor with excavator.
    Game 3 ended pretty quick thalia, into a countered teeg, I green sun'ed the next turn for a teeg, and he just was shut off the game that and I wasted his dual colored lands which was his tundra. The game ended quick
    Win 2-1

Round 3 Bug Control- I won the die roll
    Game 1 Wastelanded him out of the game, I was able to excavator him out to 14 he had 2 basics and simply toxic for 4, he then was behind i flooded the table with knights and a thalia.
    Game 2 Simply reverse he waste landed me out I did not get to many basics by the time I was able to pick it up he just had it with his land that can animate and be a 2/2 for 1.
    Game 3 my opponent mulled to 6, I don't remember what really happened at the end I was at 19, and he had 12 life I am sure I just beat him with double knight. I wasted his lands he only had the blue/black land that turns into the 3/2 creature...he was pretty much locked from playing.
    Win 2-1

Round 4 Red Black Reanimator- He won the die roll...
    Game 1 he entombed at the end of my turn, and griselbrand I was able to get karakas but the 5/6 flying Annex just beat me.
    Game 2 we both mulled to 5, I played a turn 1 deathrite...he didn't do anything with 1 land...eventually I got a leyline of the void he conceded
    Game 3 I mulled to 5, he turn 1 went after the 7/11 shroud trample island walk leviathin and I almost picked it up
    he was at 9 and I couldn't stop both that and the sire
    Lost 1-2

Round 5 4 color control- I won the die roll on an odds or evens call.
    Game 1 he was on 4 color control he had removal for days until he just ran dry and I wasted his trop, volcanic, and something else..sword of fire and ice put it on my scryb ranger it was riding it to victory.
    Game 2 we were going back and forth again he just had removal for days eventually I got sylvan library on board, he abrupted it I had choke on board too... I was able to draw a fetch play it, and play renegade rallier, getting sylvan library back to the field. He killed the rallier a few turns later my board with choke and sylvan...he had jace on 9 I drew a Vindicate. I played the stoneforge mystic from hand he said it was good...I blew up his jace and he eventually conceded sword of fire and ice was great.
    Win 2-0

Round 6 Storm- I lost the die roll I called odd it was even...
    Game 1 it was pretty fast, he Gitaxian probed me, and duress. I was able to turn 1 mother. His turn 2 he did nothing, on my turn played thalia..a few turns later a deathrite he conceded.
    Game 2 I thought he was some control deck..he stormed off on his turn 2. I lost...
    Game 3 my opponent mulled to 5, mother turn 1, turn 2 thalia, he messed up somehow. I played t3 Teeg that was the end of that. He said he could have won but I did not see it... the lockout was pretty hard I was stuck on 2 mana 5 turns later...
    Win 2-1

Round 7 Mono Red Sneak Attack- I won the die roll
    Game 1 I played none basic lands instead of fetching I suffered for it his turn 2 Blood moon locked me out with 2 fetch in hand...I had a sylvan but it didn't save me he Sneak and showed the 15/15 wurm and I lost 1 turn later after he had 3 wurms 5/5's with trample
    Game 2 my opponent mulled to 6, I quickly fetched for a plains played mother. He had the turn 1 bloodmoon, I played T2 thalia, T3 stoneforge to get Batterskull won.
    Game 3 He was on the play turn 1 blood moon...GG I guess on his turn 3 he cast seething song that adds 5 red to the pool, he then played simian spirit guide netting him 6 mana playing Inferno titan. 2 Turns later it was over. GG...
    Lost 1-2

Overall The deck ran GREAT, it has been about a year or 2 since I have played Legacy at an official event. I think I could have won my last round had I played my fetches instead and go after basic lands. I had enough gas to break backs, but when you get locked out game 3 with turn 1 bloodmoon you just lose.... Anyway if you have any questions please ask..I realize this is poor in terms of what happened in my matches it is a quick run down. Thanks for reading and good luck out there!

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

I played Punishing Maverick in back to back events last Saturday and Sunday and placed 11th and 2nd in them respectively.

There were a few unusual sideboard cards I wanted to test so I ended up playing the same 75 in both events:

Creatures (22)
    4x Mother of Runes
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    1x Dryad Arbor
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    4x Knight of the Reliquary

Noncreature Spells (15)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Punishing Fire
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Batterskull

Lands (23)
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    3x Savannah
    2x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    3x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas

SB: 2x Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2x Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2x Choke
    SB: 2x Crop Rotation
    SB: 1x Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1x Voice of Resurgence
    SB: 1x Kitchen Finks
    SB: 1x Dromoka's Command
    SB: 1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Event 1: 2k, 95 players (same event as MysteryE above)

Round 1: UR Delver (2-1)
    Round 2: Punishing Dack Control (0-2)
    Round 3: Mono-Red Human Stompy (2-0)
    Round 4: Infect (2-0)
    Round 5: Mono-Red Sneak Attack (2-0)
    Round 6: Czech Pile (2-1)
    Round 7: Grixis Delver (0-2)
    Final Record: 5-2, 11th place

Event 2: 1k, 57 players

Round 1: Burn (2-0)
    Round 2: UB Mill (2-1)
    Round 3: T.E.S. (2-1)
    Round 4: Elves (0-2)
    Round 5: Junkblade (2-0)
    Round 6: Canadian Threshold (2-1)
    Quarterfinal: BUG Shardless Aluren (2-1)
    Semifinal: Manaless Dredge (2-1)
    Final: Grixis Delver (1-2)
    Final Record: 7-2, 2nd place

Thread Information