Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

I'm using a stock GWb list but used Last hope instead choke and has 2 persecutions. I'm putting choke back in. Based from experience, delver has too much spot removal for all my creatures. Do you have GWb list?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    What's your list look like?
    My current iteration of the list is:

Lands
    4 wasteland
    4 windswept heath
    1 karakas
    1 swamp
    1 forest
    1 plains
    1 scrubland
    1 bayou
    1 savannah
    1 tropical island
    1 sejiri steppe
    1 marsh flats
    1 ghost quarter
    1 dark depths
    1 verdant catacombs
    1 dryad arbor
    1 maze of ith
    1 thespian stage
    1 bojuka bog

Creatures
    1 birds of paradise
    4 deathrite shaman
    4 mother of runes
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 Thalia, guardian of thraben
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 lotus cobra
    1 scryb ranger
    1 tireless tracker
    1 leovold
    1 Thalia, heretic cathar
    1 ramunap excavator
    4 knight of the reliquary

Spells
    3 crop rotation
    3 green Sun's zenith
    3 swords to plowshares
    1 sylvan library
    1 abrupt decay
    1 maelstrom pulse
    1 beast within

Sideboard
    2 thoughtseize
    1 surgical extraction
    1 containment priest
    3 leyline of the void
    1 reclamation sage
    1 toxic deluge
    2 zealous persecution
    1 choke
    2 ethersworn canonist
    1 sanctum prelate

I am currently testing numbers out and may try 1 fumble in the side

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    My current iteration of the list is:

Lands
    4 wasteland
    4 windswept heath
    1 karakas
    1 swamp
    1 forest
    1 plains
    1 scrubland
    1 bayou
    1 savannah
    1 tropical island
    1 sejiri steppe
    1 marsh flats
    1 ghost quarter
    1 dark depths
    1 verdant catacombs
    1 dryad arbor
    1 maze of ith
    1 thespian stage
    1 bojuka bog

Creatures
    1 birds of paradise
    4 deathrite shaman
    4 mother of runes
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 Thalia, guardian of thraben
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 lotus cobra
    1 scryb ranger
    1 tireless tracker
    1 leovold
    1 Thalia, heretic cathar
    1 ramunap excavator
    4 knight of the reliquary

Spells
    3 crop rotation
    3 green Sun's zenith
    3 swords to plowshares
    1 sylvan library
    1 abrupt decay
    1 maelstrom pulse
    1 beast within

Sideboard
    2 thoughtseize
    1 surgical extraction
    1 containment priest
    3 leyline of the void
    1 reclamation sage
    1 toxic deluge
    2 zealous persecution
    1 choke
    2 ethersworn canonist
    1 sanctum prelate

I am currently testing numbers out and may try 1 fumble in the side
    Does stretching into 4 colors for Leovold play nicely with the Dark Depths package, especially with a Maze in there too? I feel like this would be kinda be weak to Wasteland on our colors, unless you have an active BoP or DRS online. If I was playing the mirror against this, I would Wasteland colored mana like crazy and STP any mana source.

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    Does stretching into 4 colors for Leovold play nicely with the Dark Depths package, especially with a Maze in there too? I feel like this would be kinda be weak to Wasteland on our colors, unless you have an active BoP or DRS online. If I was playing the mirror against this, I would Wasteland colored mana like crazy and STP any mana source.
    I run the 3 basics just to protect against wastelands, there are admittedly only 12 coloured sources but I've gone against wasteland decks and because I've got a basic forest, swamp and plains I can cast all cards that I need to.

Crop rotation and ghost quarter help to neutralise the effects of wasteland.

I genuinely haven't found any issue with the 4 coloured mana base alongside the non mana producing lands. Thespian stage can act as another basic.

The only issue I have with my lands is that I keep drawing my sejiri steppe haha.

If you are killing/exiling my dorks it would be more beneficial to me due to there being less removal for my other creatures (especially with active mother of runes).

Thoughts on these two new cards spoiled today:

https://i.redd.it/0p1josxpyy411.png

https://i.redd.it/5lur9g2tyy411.png

The green one seems great vs 4C Leovold. Snapcaster is really the only thing that can block it and that's just a chump. They basically have no way to kill it unless they have Deluge. 5 Damage a turn is a pretty big clock and it's tutorable with GSZ which is nice. 4 CMC is a lot and it's only really good in this 1 matchup but could see some play.

The black one is Zealous Persecution on a stick which is nice, however BB is going to be hard to cast and it not being GSZ is a minus. Probably just worse than Zealous TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by delfam View Post
    Thoughts on these two new cards spoiled today:

https://i.redd.it/0p1josxpyy411.png

https://i.redd.it/5lur9g2tyy411.png

The green one seems great vs 4C Leovold. Snapcaster is really the only thing that can block it and that's just a chump. They basically have no way to kill it unless they have Deluge. 5 Damage a turn is a pretty big clock and it's tutorable with GSZ which is nice. 4 CMC is a lot and it's only really good in this 1 matchup but could see some play.

The black one is Zealous Persecution on a stick which is nice, however BB is going to be hard to cast and it not being GSZ is a minus. Probably just worse than Zealous TBH.

Not sure on the green one. But to me the black one I don't think there is any point considering. If we compare it to zealous persecution it's pro's and con's are:

Pro
    - creature
    - only opponent's creatures get -1/-1

Cons
    - double black
    - sorcery speed
    - zealous persecution pumps our guys
    - no haste

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Not sure on the green one. But to me the black one I don't think there is any point considering. If we compare it to zealous persecution it's pro's and con's are:

Pro
    - creature
    - only opponent's creatures get -1/-1

Cons
    - double black
    - sorcery speed
    - zealous persecution pumps our guys
    - no haste
    +1 for the vinemare if you are playing SFM+equipment. Might not be better than Thrun but still worth looking at.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    +1 for the vinemare if you are playing SFM+equipment. Might not be better than Thrun but still worth looking at.
    It could work better with a different equipment package compared to normal (e.g. more sword of X & Y).

Just my opinion as I don't run the equipment package, so I could be way out.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Anyone else a little excited by the new 1GG Dinosaur, 2/5. Whenever an opponent activated an ability from a land or creature that isn’t a mans ability, you may draw a card.

Fetchlands, lands dot deck, Depths/Stage, every DRS, SFM, etc.
    Seems like a fun one of, also a 2/5 for 3 that is GSZable seems not bad. Probably not as impactful as Leovold at 3, but it makes me think.

Anyone else a little excited by the new 1GG Dinosaur, 2/5. Whenever an opponent activated an ability from a land or creature that isn’t a mans ability, you may draw a card.

Fetchlands, lands dot deck, Depths/Stage, every DRS, SFM, etc.
    Seems like a fun one of, also a 2/5 for 3 that is GSZable seems not bad. Probably not as impactful as Leovold at 3, but it makes me think.
    I love the look of it and the 5 toughness is relevant in most matchups.

I'm not sure what it would replace, tracker seems to be the closest to it's effect

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

I love the look of it and the 5 toughness is relevant in most matchups.

I'm not sure what it would replace, tracker seems to be the closest to it's effect
    Sorry for poor grammar and spelling, phones suck.

Tracker is still probably better. Easier to cast when drawn, harder for opponents to impact the effect, grows big, mana sink for Cradle, plays better with your fetching and KOTR, is human (Cavern?), etc.

Also in Grindy games Tracker is still probably better. This guy is good versus opponent fetched but by turn 3-4 they have a mana base already and they can sit on lands.

Seems bonkers in the mirror match ;)

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Dinosaurs aside; DnT now has access to Brightling.... which might be a problem for us in a fair game. Anyone else think this could swing the matchup away from us?

Dinosaurs aside; DnT now has access to Brightling.... which might be a problem for us in a fair game. Anyone else think this could swing the matchup away from us?
    Why set the dino aside, that card seems to dumpster Brightling ;3

Any ideas how the Dnt players are liking brightling?

Because we have Mother of Runes and it can only get to a 5/1 we can work around it easily enough. It could be annoying to deal with but we got this.

Ironically besides the dino's ability it's P/T are relevant against brightling.

If they are wasting mana on that each turn it is good for us, it will widen the gap between good and bad DnT players for a while. And if they are equipping everything to it we can look at things like fumble, etc.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Any ideas how the Dnt players are liking brightling?

Because we have Mother of Runes and it can only get to a 5/1 we can work around it easily enough. It could be annoying to deal with but we got this.

Ironically besides the dino's ability it's P/T are relevant against brightling.

If they are wasting mana on that each turn it is good for us, it will widen the gap between good and bad DnT players for a while. And if they are equipping everything to it we can look at things like fumble, etc.
    Holy poop. I was completely not paying attention to the Brightling vs Dino interaction. rtfc i guess. Do we have room for the Dino? I wish it had some sort of protection....

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Blitining is poor vs us. Maverick vs D&T is resource war mostly (exception is landing MoR which survive), there aren't any DMG on stack so all what they can get is trade or chump block with return. Blow up vial and this operation cost 4 Mana..

Adding to this, I'd much rather face Brightling than Mirran Crusader and that's exactly what they are cutting to fit it in (the 3 drop flex slots). If they actually start playing it, the matchup becomes even better because we can still attack through it with MoM and/or block and protection from white to prevent lifegain.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

I’m trying to see if I can swing GP Richmond and want to sleeve up my favorite deck Maverick. My backup is a complete RUG Delver list but it seems poor in the meta right now instead of like Grixis (no cards for).

In looking over my trimmed down collection (sold a lot of paper cards) I don’t have any cradle, DD, Grove, etc. which of the different land packages would be best for the cheapest amount $. I’m thinking 1 of DD Stage isn’t going to break the bank and a lot of you seem to like that combo.

In what matchups is the land choice you recommend good for? Strengths? Weaknesses? Any sick plays you can think of? Only one I know is the oldie but goodie Maze of Ith KOTR after damage still in combat for “vigilance”.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I'm a big proponent of Cradle, and to a lesser extent Maze. Cradle lets you crack close games wide open, and doesn't take up as many slots as Stage+Depths (and is good off of a single KotR activation or when naturally drawn). It's often the first land I fetch, as it lets me break the symmetry of fetching Wasteland with Knight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

I’m trying to see if I can swing GP Richmond and want to sleeve up my favorite deck Maverick. My backup is a complete RUG Delver list but it seems poor in the meta right now instead of like Grixis (no cards for).

In looking over my trimmed down collection (sold a lot of paper cards) I don’t have any cradle, DD, Grove, etc. which of the different land packages would be best for the cheapest amount $. I’m thinking 1 of DD Stage isn’t going to break the bank and a lot of you seem to like that combo.

In what matchups is the land choice you recommend good for? Strengths? Weaknesses? Any sick plays you can think of? Only one I know is the oldie but goodie Maze of Ith KOTR after damage still in combat for “vigilance”.
    DD combo is best for matchups against non-white decks since you don't want to double wasteland + timewalk yourself and get lage plowed. Since there isn't much white atm it's the best it's ever been. Also it's definitely the cheapest of the bunch. The only weakness is you want to make sure opponent has no way to kill Lage or you have too many lands in play.

I performed one of those sick plays just this week vs grixis devler: I'm dead on board in 2 turns to liliana last hope's ultimate which will get 8 zombies next turn, just got a scryb ranger in play + 2 lands and 1 Kotr -> topdeck 3rd land and pass. End step activate kotr twice with ranger and win on the swingback. The combo gives us a chance in games we were not supposed to win.

Thread Information