Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Went 5:0 (4: 0: 1) at a bavarian legacy event and got a tundra as my price.

Beat burn, mono red sneak attack, ur delver, dnt, lands (2:1) but we drew before the game.

Gwb is still the way to go and im looking forward to gp birmingham next week :)

3-0 against Punishing Jund, B/R/x Reanimator, and Sultai. I really like my current GWb configuration, which features Gaea's Cradle, Rogue's Passage (thx Megadeus), x2 Ramunap Excavator, Renegade Rallier, and a couple of SFM. Feels like I'm the mayor and only resident of Value Town USA.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    3-0 against Punishing Jund, B/R/x Reanimator, and Sultai. I really like my current GWb configuration, which features Gaea's Cradle, Rogue's Passage (thx Megadeus), x2 Ramunap Excavator, Renegade Rallier, and a couple of SFM. Feels like I'm the mayor and only resident of Value Town USA.
    Can you share your list,please?

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Yes, more disciples of the Rogue's Passage.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    Yes, more disciples of the Rogue's Passage.
    Lol, does everyone in ATL play Maverick?
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Can you share your list,please?
    Pretty standard I think:

Creatures:
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Ramunap Excavator (got this wrong in my original post lol)
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Tireless Tracker

Instants/Sorceries:
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Sword to Plowshares

Other Spells:
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Lands:
    1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Rogue's Passage
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
    1 Blessed Alliance (hard to overstate how good this card is)
    2 Choke
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution

(+miscellaneous misleading sleeved tokens)

SCG Baltimore Team Event write up- sorry long post!

So some initial thoughts before I get into too many details, and sorry in advance I might ramble at times, I’m trying to sit down and just type after the whole event:

1. Our team ended up in 16th place, good for the cutoff in prizes, which is cool. You can see my decklist, which they decided to -2 Zealous Persecution and -3 Thoughtseize from the SB (lol, I even submitted my list online….) here: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/120629

2. My teammates did quite well. The standard player on mono red went 12-3, modern guy on grixis probably 10-5 I think and I was 8-6-1 (one game didn’t complete). The format is very fun, and I think if my team did it again we (hopefully I in particular) will be more prepared on how to approach it, we all mostly just played our games alone while I noticed as we moved up the tables the teams of pros and semi pros/grinders talked a lot to each other during games and side boarding.

3. I certainly learned a good deal from this as I’ll go into later about playing this many legacy matches in a row. With a deck like maverick without brainstorm or ponder/cantrips sometimes you can’t draw any lands or draw too many, or can’t find the cards you need a given time. That’s something we have to accept playing this deck, but also why I know we as Maverick’s are constantly messing with our lists and trying stuff trying to find that blue consistency while playing the cards we love.

Now, to the details. DISCLAIMER: I think I would call myself a maverick novice/in training, I think I’m ok and generally have a feel of matchups and what is good/not but there will be some things down the list that will tell you I have a lot to learn, and I hope you can accept that. I’ll get better the more I play.

I’ll try to briefly go through the 15 rounds as best I can:

Round 1 grixis delver, win 2-0. This player was new to legacy, and maverick is supposed to be favored or at least competitive in grixis, and in this game I got there overwhelming his resources, wastelanding him, taxing him with thalia, and otherwise.

Sideboard: I went with +2 ZP, 2 decay, choke -teeg, qasali pridemage, tracker, and two thalia on the draw. In later matches on the play, I’d sometimes leave in a thalia and leave back a decay.

Round 2, Lands. Lose 0-2. So admittedly, we didn’t finish game 2 as the guy scooped as soon as his teammates lost, but I would have lost. Game one he steamrolled me by hitting the exploration early and just getting the engine going faster than I could keep up. In game 2, Drop of honey was a card I had not expecting, although I know lists play it I haven’t actually seen it before and I played RIGHT into it, even when I thought I was good naming 2 on prelate, which eventually just died. I think decay might be good in full in this matchup for that card and exploration, something I’ll remedy next time. If the drop wasn’t there game two and my prelate stuck, I things could have been more interesting.

Board: -teeg, tracker, 2 stoneforge +prelate, 2 surgical, one decay (would do 2 next time and maybe cut a swords or a dork that’s not DRS). You must disrupt their chain of life from the loam and punishing fire by whatever mix you can whether surgicaling one or the other, prelate on 2, ooze eating stuff, knight on bog if you play that or whatever else you can do.

Round 3: 4C Stoneblade win 2-1 This was a good one. What a battle this can become of resources and swords like Death and Taxes, except there is TNN in this one and less disruption of your mana. I focus on wasteland disrupting them and getting ahead with power on board as much as I can. This was the first match where Leovold was a house, and man he won me game 2 and 3. Game 1 He got a jitte on a TNN on turn 3 or 4 and there was not turning back from there for me. Other games came down to tight play and timely swords to plowshares and abrupt decays while sticking leovold and ramunap to lock him down. Great match, great player but he did not expect the 3 drops from my deck. Definitely want to playtest more stoneblade players, it seems like one that would be easier with practice.

Board (can’t remember exactly): +2 ZP +2 Decay +1 Gideon +1/2 Thoughtseize –teeg, -thalias –birds –one swords?

Round 4: Reanimator win 2-0. So I thought this matchup typically to be hard at first, and it gets so much easier when you know how to handle it. Game 1 I see what he’s on as he pitches a sire of insanity to a faithless looting, and I slam a DRS. Next turn he gets his sire, but through a mix of DRS eating stuff in his yard and eating chump blockers I draw/creatures that were pitched to the sire of insanity, I stabilize when I land a knight and mom and swing in for lethal soon after. Game 2, he mulls to 4 I slam DRS and containment priest, and just ping him to death as he can do nothing while I wasteland his one land.

Board: - teeg, leovold, tracker, excavator, 2 SFM, one GSZ, scryb ranger, jitte, SoFaI +2 containment priest, canonist, 3 thoughtseize, one prelate, 2 surgical 2 decay

Round 5 Grixis Delver, lose 1-2 So at this point team is to 4-0, and we get our first taste of great competition. This player was quite good. Game 1 though, I get a SoFaI on a knight and he just concedes as I believe he had no way to deal with that at that point and was too low on life to even hope to find a big fish to block. Game two, he does delver stuff- daze, wasteland DRS, bolts and young pyro completely hose me, its what the deck does.

Game 3 was tilting, to say the least. I know Tyrik @thunderknight heard this story. So, as many maverick players dream, I slam a choke on turn two AND IT RESOLVES. Game over right? Welp, even though I get a thalia the next turn, I proceed to not draw any lands except my tropical island (NOMBO) for upwards of 7-8 turns, and I’m not joking. He wastes away my other lands, and I watch as he masses lands and then goes all out playing Liliana the last hope, delvers, and TNN and I die while having to discard turn after turn. An incredibly sad game for maverick players everywhere. Our team loses as our modern player loses to affinity.

See game one for sideboard

Round 6- Miracles, win 2-1. This one was in some ways a ‘miracle’, lol. I know the player, he typically plays jeskai control in modern. Game one is the soul crushing experience we expect when playing miracles. He was on the traditional counterbalance type plan but with Gideon to win along with jace. Game two, I don’t remember well but I think it involved teeg sticking around while I tried to hit hard and fast with equipped creatures and him getting bowled over when I GSZ for 3, he lets it resolve, and sees it’s Leo instead-I think his eyes almost popped out of his head and he got flustered, perfect. Game 3 was a Gideon game. I got him to resolve, and he went to poundtown. Man is he great. Team at 5-1

Sideboard: -4 swords, - 1 bird, - ramunap, -ooze -1 mom +Gideon, choke, 2 decay, 1 prelate, 3 Thoughtseize

Round 7: Death and Taxes, win 2-1. Lesson from losing game one- maybe save your swords until you really need them when its early on- (except on mom). I used one on a SFM who fetched a batterskull, and then he lands 3 mirran crusader in a row, which I can’t block with my board of green creatures. Welp. Games 2 and 3 I easily outmuscle him and get my swords and moms online before he can. I find on the play, I go and ahead and go REALLY aggressive and put them on the back foot vs our bigger threats and on the draw, I try to pick off their threats as much as I can while still landing moms and equipment/knights where I can, and if you get Gideon happening, even better-he was again a house. I find the matchup to be pretty favorable. Another card to watch out for- Shalai is a thing for them now- if you see a vial go to 4, that’s likely what it is, so hold your removal if its on 4 and untapped!!

Sideboard: - 3 thalia, teeg, Leovold, ramunap, Deathrite shaman, Ooze (I know they bring in rest in peace so I like cutting these graveyard heavy creatures) +2 Zealous persecution 2 decay 2 Thoughtseize Gideon. Thoughtseize was surprisingly good in this matchup and in the one later one, I am a big fan after this weekend.

Round 8: Eldrazi win 2-1. HOLY SH%$ guys game one took 35 minutes. A combination of slow play from my opponent and an endbringer I could plow because of a chalice on one made this game unbearably long. I had a ramunap most of the game which recurred the same wasteland about 8 times, so he could do much at time but land mimics and endless ones when he found his eldrazi eyes and temples, while I held it down with a scavenging ooze which ate up the remains of bad attacks and got up to- and I’m not joking here- 20 counters. 20!!!! I finally draw a GSZ get pridemage, blow the chalice, swords his endbringer so it cant stop my ooze form attacking anymore and end him. Game 2, his deck has the nut- two mimics on one, Thought knot on 2, hit me for 8, and endbringer on 3, hit me for lethal. Yikes. Game 3, I get there again with wasteland, plows, and finally Gideon pumbling him. Thoughtseize again starred here.

Board -4 mom ,- 2 thalia +3 Thoughtseize, +2 decay, +1 Gideon

Round 9: Grixis/4 color heavier control type delver? 1-1 MAtch didn’t end. So not much to say here, my other teammates had pretty quick matches as the delver player and I kind of went back and forth. He won game one, I won game 2, we didn’t play game 3 because it was over and our team ended up 7-1-1 on the day.

DAY 2- this day was vs mostly pros and grinders as you’d imagine since only 24 teams made it. Much worse day than day one for me.

Round 10- Grixis delver lose 0-2 vs Jonathan Sukenik, a known grixis delver champion. This was cool, and was in the feature match area, though I wasn’t on camera, thank god. Game one, he goes crazy and does what the player in round 5 did to me which is stop me from playing magic through daze force and wasteland while developing his board with young pyro and TNN, oh well. Game 2 was a real bummer, I had to mull to a bad 5, and he wastelanded my first two lands while I had nothing to play but a jitte for the first 4-5 turns. That didn’t end well for me.

Board- see Game 1

Round 11- Miracles, lose 0-2. Man do I hate miracles. I get terminated and brought ‘back to basics’ hard in game one, barely even hitting him once. Welp, lets see what happens with the sideboard. Not much better in game 2- I’d love to see what you guys think of these early turn plays- I go to slam the choke on turn 2, it’s forced. I thought they board those out? Turn 3 go for Gideon, also forced. After that, I can land stuff but never get a board that stays around long, and can’t get my teeg or prelate to stay there, and just die. If only he cut his forces! He said after the match he leaves force because of basically the situation we had and his ability to get cards back no problem.

Board- see game 6

Round 12- Storm, win 2-0. I slam a thalia turn 2, no idea what hes on. He turns to his partner and expresses his worry that he’s not sure he can get through this. The lands I see were island and volcanic island and ponder. He concedes soon after not drawing lands after I waste his volcanic island. I have to guess what he’s on, and I guessed sneak and show. Game 2 he goes off turn 2, while I did have a canonist in hand. Oh well, at least I know what he is- and board better. Game 3 I complete the trifecta of awesome things with DRs on one, thalia on two, canonist on three and then GSZ for teeg on 4, ooze on 5 with knight. Although he fatal pushes thalia and canonist, he can’t get through the teeg and I kill him shortly after by beating down.

Sideboard - 4 swords, pridemage, tracker, 2 SFM, SoFaI, excavator +3Thoughtseize, prelate, 2 Zealous persecution, 1 canonist, 2 surgical, choke.

Round 13- Food chain lose 0-2. I’m gonna admit, I’ve never played this matchup. The guy I played is a serious grinder, his deck was pimped out and he was very chatty and goofy, but quick to point out things he thought I was doing wrong etc. and all the vibing kind of made me play poorly. I made my biggest mistake of the tournament, equipping a jitte to a bird and blocking one of his dumb fliers looking for counters, only to realize I didn’t do combat damage with a 0/1, shit. Post board I don’t do much better as again I’m quite unaware of how this deck works. I try to go aggressive but he mulls into a much more removal heavy post board plan and picks off all my knights and other creatures while slowly grinding me to death with his exiled stuff and shardless agents. He actually didn’t ever even need to play food chain. Yikes! I learned from this match though. If I was to board next time, I would go-

Sideboard -3 thalia, teeg, ramunap, 2 swords (swords are bad vs his exiled, but I leave some in for deathrite.) + 3 Thoughtseize, choke, 2 decay, canonist maybe prelate on three for food chain or 2 for decay

Round 14- Miracles (again ugh) lose 1-2. Like I said, my day 2 sucked lol. Not much to say here, the game I won was on the back of scryb ranger doing her tricksy things pumping out a knight and SoFaI into play and beating him down before he could find terminus. This matchup is SO hard because you both don’t want to overextend into terminus, and also need to kill them fast or you will die eventually to a jace ticking up, as I did in game 3 after everything I put down got sworded/snap-swords, terminus, counterbalanced, etc. All my best cards only one at a time- teeg, prelate, leovold- just die if they don’t have backup or get swept away. Such a frustrating matchup I hope I can improve in somehow, and honestly after today, I’ll be putting in a 2nd choke for now until I can find something else that can really screw them. I didn’t see how well thoughtseize does in this matchup as I never had it.

See game 6 for board.

Round 15- Death and Taxes, win 2-0. I needed a feel-good matchup for the end here after all these backbreaking loses on the day. Same as my one yesterday, this guy was on WW and I just beat him up with early moms, DRS and then equipment and knights. He landed his Rest in Peace game 2 but it was quickly decayed, something I think he didn’t expect and he was too slow to develop his board as I had plenty of swords and the like for everything he had while landing my own stuff. GG. He also had Shalai, which is the only thing of note for you guys.

Thoughts on the event and the deck:

- Top performing cards:

1. Leovold. Man he is a house. Worth the splash, I was amazed at how many times I looked for him in GSZ to get back into a game or seal the game. Worth it.
    2. Scryb ranger. Don’t need to say too much here, but in any non-combo matchup, she is just the queen of tricky plays. The lines you can pull out of her can stun your opponents.
    3. Thoughtseize. Being a true GW player at heart, I always tried to cut down on this card and begrudgingly brought 3. This card is one of our best board cards for soooo many matchups where your life isn’t imminently in danger or where it will do almost nothing (lands, depths). There is a case to play it main to me after this event and I’ll never play less than 3 in abzan.
    4. Gideon. Dude was a house when he came in, highly recommend him as the finisher of choice. MIGHT try two.
    5. Mom, thalia, DRS and knight- Yeah you already knew that.

- I want 4 thalia main. I thought 3 would be ok, and I know it works for some, but shes too important in too many matchups that are not ones we need to be in control in (grixis delver) or don’t need her like D and T.

- I think that 6 dorks isn’t totally necessary, and will likely go to just hierarch for now. The flying on bird only came up once, in the matchup with food chain and hierarch helps us push through damage. I realize there are times it can help though, so I’ll think it over.

- On the 6 dork thing, I ended up on 22 lands and dryad arbor, and honestly I think maybe playing the 23rd ‘real’ land might be right. I didn’t have any fun lands like DD or maze or cradle today. I’d consider a cradle in this 23rd spot I think, but there’s an argument for a forest, another savannah, 9th fetch, or even like a ghost quarter too for this other land, but just something that makes mana. I’ll be testing. The lack of lands killed me in more than one match, this deck NEEEEEDS mana bad.

- Tracker was underwhelming all event long, except in the last D and T matchup where it just kind of fun drew me cards and speed up the clock a little. Again, I understand some people are big fans and there are grindy spots she excels in, but I think 6 3 drops is probably the max for me. I might try her in the board, and bring her in for matchups where we can afford to midrange like pile, D and T, BUG delver, miracles, eldrazi, and prison. Not sure yet but this makes sense to me right now.

- Prelate is a card that I always like on paper, and with talking to @lorkac, but in practice it was underwhelming. Hard to cast, and only helped vs lands until it died. That lands thing is relevant though admittedly. Against miracles, they have too many ways to deal even when it’s on one or 6. It’ll be out of my board for now. If it had green in its casting cost, I know that the card would be a staple but obviously, that aint the case.

That’s all for now, thanks for reading! Please give me any thoughts you have; I love, love talking this deck. I’ll be back for more competitive legacy soon I hope.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Lol, does everyone in ATL play Maverick?
    There's another guy building Maverick right now. I think he'll be ready in time for this week's local.
    Feels like everyone has played Maverick at least once at some point.

Regrettably I put down my Knights back in like late 2014ish(?), Rogue's Passage was doing fine to combat Lingering Souls and True-Name, but losing a few too many times to Craterhoof Behemoth, Griselbrand, and Emrakul was enough to push me away for a few years. Been picking them back up the last month or two.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    There's another guy building Maverick right now. I think he'll be ready in time for this week's local.
    Feels like everyone has played Maverick at least once at some point.

Regrettably I put down my Knights back in like late 2014ish(?), Rogue's Passage was doing fine to combat Lingering Souls and True-Name, but losing a few too many times to Craterhoof Behemoth, Griselbrand, and Emrakul was enough to push me away for a few years. Been picking them back up the last month or two.
    Welcome back. I keep meaning to hit up the Giga-Bytes quarterly, but it's a bit of a drive. Hope to be at the next one!

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Welcome back. I keep meaning to hit up the Giga-Bytes quarterly, but it's a bit of a drive. Hope to be at the next one!
    Well make sure to say hi if you do come out. Next Legacy Quarterly is Saturday June 23, with Modern on that Sunday.
    I'm going to try and jam some Maverick in the coming weeks, I've been less enthused with Elves lately so I might lock in Maverick (or some variation with 2 Leovolds) for the Quarterly if I like the looks of it.
    Tusk up.

Hello all, I'm looking at building a variation of the dark blue Maverick deck, what are everyone's thoughts on dark blue maverick as a whole?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    Hello all, I'm looking at building a variation of the dark blue Maverick deck, what are everyone's thoughts on dark blue maverick as a whole?
    Dark Blue as in with Leovold and a trop/tundra as the only blue cards?

Either way, I feel like you have a few options with Maverick currently and they all stem from the mana base.

Straight GW(b)- black cards in sideboard/maybe a decay main can be with Stage/Depths or Cradle/Maze

GWbr- Punishing Fire lists, usually - Thalia + Fires, has the best Grindy blue matchups as Punishing fires kill most of the creatures played in blue these days. Utility lands are replaced with groves.

GWbu- gets Leovold as an additional hatebear, utility lands are usually sacrificed for blue duals.

Every meta is different but personally I prefer the straight GW version so I can have access to basics in the face of blood moon and wasteland decks(delver/DnT). I also use my flex slots for additional Pridemages and SFM to make sure I beat randomlegacy.dec and Delver.

The splash lists will be better against Pile and Miracles but worse against non interactive matchups.

This is my current list:

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Ranumap Excaavator
    1 Dryad Arbor

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Battterskull

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    4 Thought seize
    3 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Blessed Alliance
    2 Zealous Persecution

I am trying a 3 Prelate plan against Miracles and Czech as well as the Ghost Quarter/Excavator plan against Czech and Delver.

Prelate is good as combinations of Mom, Thalia, Prelate and Teeg can pretty much lock control decks out of the game.
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 05-10-2018 at 01:18 AM.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Hello guYs just wanna tell my opinion about some deckslists
    I am playing the deck 3years now and i can tell you that so many dorks is not neccesery, late game top decks are are just crap.
    4-max max 5 dorks more then enough not counting gsz.

I was thinking of puting in board 2 - 3 mox diamond for early thalia or whatever needed in the situation... that card is sick with knight and for collor fixing

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Leonides View Post
    Hello guYs just wanna tell my opinion about some deckslists
    I am playing the deck 3years now and i can tell you that so many dorks is not neccesery, late game top decks are are just crap.
    4-max max 5 dorks more then enough not counting gsz.

I was thinking of puting in board 2 - 3 mox diamond for early thalia or whatever needed in the situation... that card is sick with knight and for collor fixing
    I’m confused, you say mana dorks are useless late game and then suggest more fast mana that is useless late game?

With Mox you really want a Loam or 2 which is a slippery slope towards Chalice of the void and aggro loam.

Turn 1 Thalia is pretty good but then 1 deathrite is also pretty good.

I just thought of puting 2-3 mox insted of some dork like 1 birds-, maverick have flex slots..wanted just to try something new..

Its not just turn one thalia but stoneforge or zenth for 1 and sylvan library and i would use just 1loam couse excavator is in main so no need for Lot of change.
    Putting thalia on turn one is complete win.. wastelandong the turn after is just feels too god :)

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I just thought of puting 2-3 mox insted of some dork like 1 birds-, maverick have flex slots..wanted just to try something new..

Its not just turn one thalia but stoneforge or zenth for 1 and i would use just 1loam but excavator is in main so no need for Lot of change.
    Putting thalia on turn one is complete win.. wastelandong the turn after is just feels too god :)
    You just need something/to recoup all of the lost card advantage and make up for the mana development.

If you go land, mox(pitch land), Thalia, you most likely need 1 more land in hand.... now you have 3 cards in hand turn 2 with a Thalia on board... that is where you need the quick card advantage like Loam or Dark Confidant.

I love the brewing of new ideas though.

I low key am working on a GW version with Vial and Looter Scooter to take advantage of Renegade Rallier.

Two Questions as a New Maverick Player:

1. I agree with others here that Tireless Tracker is a little slow. Is Palace Jailer a possibility? Is having a 4CMC creature to GSZ for too expensive for the mainboard or is double white too restrictive? Removal and CA on a stick seems great.

2. Not sure on my manabase. Having a land that doesn't tap for mana seems rough. Which do you prefer?

- 4 Wasteland, 1 Ghost Quarter
    - 4 Wasteland, 1 Maze of Ith
    - 3 Wasteland, 1 Dark Depths, 1 Thespian Stage

I really like GA and going full land destruction but against Delver it is dead. Maze is great vs some bigger creatures but doesn't tap for mana. The combo is great and having a land not tap for mana sucks, but the combo gets a lot of free wins.

Not having played much Maverick, which do experienced players prefer?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by delfam View Post

1. I agree with others here that Tireless Tracker is a little slow. Is Palace Jailer a possibility? Is having a 4CMC creature to GSZ for too expensive for the mainboard or is double white too restrictive? Removal and CA on a stick seems great.

2. Not sure on my manabase. Having a land that doesn't tap for mana seems rough. Which do you prefer?

I really like GA and going full land destruction but against Delver it is dead. Maze is great vs some bigger creatures but doesn't tap for mana. The combo is great and having a land not tap for mana sucks, but the combo gets a lot of free wins.

Confused about your wording but you cannot GSZ for Jailer.

The most popular configurations are both with 4 wasteland, you either get stage+depths or Cradle+Maze.

As far as I know, not many people play Ghost quarter but I am currently testing it with Maze+Cradle to help against Pile and Grixis.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I've occasionally played one Mox Diamond in the sideboard to improve odds vs fast combo decks and I think it's fine. In the current meta I don't think it's at its best, Grixis Delver seems to be keeping combo down. Maybe worth it in a larger tournament where anything can show up.

Oct 2016
    California

Quote Originally Posted by delfam View Post

I never used to play Maze but I tried it after the Seattle list top-8ed with one. It has been the nuts multiple times since then so I definitely think it is worth playing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thread Information