Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    IN my meta i expect lots of combo, eldrazi (mom....), control with big removal.

Mistcutter his my personal choice against hard control (i.e preban UBG control).
    it kills jace and every pw because of haste + hexproof is a sort of removal for planeswalker in late game, when you lost your resource and oppo too, he cast pw and you cast this and it's really good.

Tindermare what is? i guess is misspell but i did not understand what you mean (except thundemare lol)

Tireless Tracker: i test it, too slow for my playstile. I always have other to do than sacrifice clues.

Voice: i was skeptical about, but after some playtest i think is fucking good, it does 2 x 1 most of time and i love it. I advice you to test it.

Now i'm thinking of

-3 mom
    +1 gsz
    +1 wasteland
    +1 safekeeper

SFM are nice, but whit decay\trophy i guess it will lose sense.

Maybe with decay+trophy mom could became useful again.
    Problem with hexprof is too many mass/not targeting removal like Miracles, or good wall, I tested voice and each time was disappointed to small vs tempo against yours / goose, too small against control to be a thread and dies easily to STP if equipped without value, worked in GBw nic fit, but not Maverick. It's green and have x/2 so aren't great against D&T, SFM looks better every time, even if killed right away it's alaways 2 for 1, and it isn't depends on opponent action - that's why SFM > Voice ( and less restrictive cost)

A typo: 3G - 5/5 haste and better unblock which has synergy with scryb ranger.
    Timbermare

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Problem with hexprof is too many mass/not targeting removal like Miracles, or good wall, I tested voice and each time was disappointed to small vs tempo against yours / goose, too small against control to be a thread and dies easily to STP if equipped without value, worked in GBw nic fit, but not Maverick. It's green and have x/2 so aren't great against D&T, SFM looks better every time, even if killed right away it's alaways 2 for 1, and it isn't depends on opponent action - that's why SFM > Voice ( and less restrictive cost)

Timbermare
    I guess it depends a lot of Metagames.
    In mine SFM does not last longer, lighting bolt, stp, decay etc. let me prefer don't run SFM but creatures.
    We need a new creature for beating, that's what i hope to find in Ravnica.

Timbermare really has no clue, Hydra is uncounterable, it means that with 4G (timbermare) i have a 4\4 protection from blue that has haste ---> cast attack jace\pw dodging Leovold, Pigeon (strix), tnn and so on.

About the Assasin's trophy i think that SFM will became worse, and maybe Mother will come stronger.

My problem with moms is that on turn 1 if i'm on the play i prefer gsz to dryad or hierarch, on turn 2 i prefer another creature or if i have wasteland now i play mom + wasteland.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post

Timbermare
    I’m jumping back in to the Maverick game with my 7 Thalia list again. I had a ton of success in the DRS meta with baleful Strix running around and think she is positioned well right now.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I’m jumping back in to the Maverick game with my 7 Thalia list again. I had a ton of success in the DRS meta with baleful Strix running around and think she is positioned well right now.
    CAn You show your list?
    Search function doesn't work so well

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    CAn You show your list?
    Search function doesn't work so well
    4 Thalia
    3 Big Thalia
    2 SFM
    4 Mom

4 Noble Heirarch
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Pridemage
    1 Teeg
    1 Scooze
    1 Excavator
    1 Arbor

4 GSZ
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Jitte
    1 SoFI

4 Heath
    3 Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Forest
    2 Plains
    3 Savanah
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Cradle
    1 Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard:
    2 Choke
    2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Blessed Alliance
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

I am really high on Big Thalia again, she hurts all of the combo decks in the format right now(for the most part) and allow us to waste fetch lands and keep other creature decks a turn slower.

I’m also looking at:

3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Bird of Paradise
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ranumap Excavator
    1 Teeg
    1 Scooze
    1 Arbor

4 Green Suns Zenith

4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Punishing Fire

1 SoFI
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull

4 Heath
    3 Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    3 Grove of the burnwillows
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Savanah
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Cradle
    1 Canopy
    1 Karakas
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 10-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

4-0 tonight as follows

2-1 Big Eldrazi
    Big Thalia and KotR won games 2 and 3 with a bunch of wastelands and ghost quarters thrown in for good measure.
    Game 1 I kept a 2 mom 2 Thalia hand and got wrecked.

2-0 Storm
    He mulled to 5 game one and lost to a turn 2 Big Thalia plus Wasteland on his fetches
    Game 2 was little Thalia and friends bringing down the house

2-0 Death’s Shadow
    I felt super behind both games but just attacked him twice before he died for the win. They deal soooo much damage to themselves that they can’t beat the random assortment of idiots at the end of the game. Game 2 He was at 10 with a Delver and I played a big Thalia. Next turn I hit him with a double exalted Thalia and he couldn’t play any blockers to stop the beats.

2-0 Goblins
    Game 1 I had the Swords for the lackey and he proceeded to draw all of his vials while I played big dudes and equipment. Game 2 I went land-GSZ-Arbor and he went Wasteland-tarfire, I followed up with land-Heirarch and he couldn’t keep up.

Love being back on Maverick, Big Thalia is a monster.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

After scrubbing out on day 1 of the SCG Open this weekend, I placed 10th in the Classic with Punishing Maverick (http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/123975).

Creature Spells (21)
    4x Mother of Runes
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Voice of Resurgence
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scryb Ranger
    4x Knight of the Reliquary

Noncreature Spells (15)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Punishing Fire
    2x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Lands (23)
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    2x Savannah
    2x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    1x Karakas
    3x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy

SB: 2x Choke
    SB: 2x Pyroblast
    SB: 2x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 2x Crop Rotation
    SB: 1x Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1x Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1x Council's Judgment
    SB: 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    SB: 1x Nissa Vital Force

There were around 120 players so it was a 7 round event. Here's how my matches went:

Round 1: Sneak & Show (W 2-0)
    Round 2: Omni-Tell (W 2-1)
    Round 3: Eldrazi Post (W 2-1)
    Round 4: Eldrazi Aggro (W 2-1)
    Round 5: UW Delver (W 2-0)
    Round 6: ID
    Round 7: BR Griselbrand (L 0-2)

Unfortunately I was paired down in the final round and had to play what turned out to be a bad matchup. So it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Gronder sounds like a dating app for people who play Knight of the Reliquary.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    After scrubbing out on day 1 of the SCG Open this weekend, I placed 10th in the Classic with Punishing Maverick (http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/123975).

Creature Spells (21)
    4x Mother of Runes
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Voice of Resurgence
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scryb Ranger

Noncreature Spells (15)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Punishing Fire
    2x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Lands (23)
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    2x Savannah
    2x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Karakas
    3x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy

There were around 120 players so it was a 7 round event. Here's how my matches went:

Unfortunately I was paired down in the final round and had to play what turned out to be a bad matchup. So it goes.
    2-0 and 2-1 against Show and Tell is awesome though! I love the Eldrazi and Delver matchups now as well.

How were the punishing fires outside of the delver round? The other 5 rounds don't have very good fire targets, would you have preferred Thalias main?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Been pretty checked out of Legacy for a bit, but I need to start thinking about EW. Maverick is on my shortlist of decks to play, and I'm wondering about a few tweaks to my list:
    - My sideboard Rec Sage should pretty clearly become Knight of Autumn, right? Outside of being harder to cast vs Blood Moon, this seems like a no-brainer.
    - Right now I'm on a singleton Abrupt Decay in the main. As I'm sure every BGx player is asking right now, should that be an Ass Trophy?
    - I'm told that Leyline of the Void is on the upswing. Right now, I'm on 1 Scooze and 3 Surgical. How do we feel about turning those into 4 Leyline?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post

Creature Spells (21)
    4x Mother of Runes
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Voice of Resurgence
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scryb Ranger

Noncreature Spells (15)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Punishing Fire
    2x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Lands (23)
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    2x Savannah
    2x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Karakas
    3x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy

No ramunap excavator

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Been pretty checked out of Legacy for a bit, but I need to start thinking about EW. Maverick is on my shortlist of decks to play, and I'm wondering about a few tweaks to my list:
    - My sideboard Rec Sage should pretty clearly become Knight of Autumn, right? Outside of being harder to cast vs Blood Moon, this seems like a no-brainer.
    - Right now I'm on a singleton Abrupt Decay in the main. As I'm sure every BGx player is asking right now, should that be an Ass Trophy?
    - I'm told that Leyline of the Void is on the upswing. Right now, I'm on 1 Scooze and 3 Surgical. How do we feel about turning those into 4 Leyline?
    1: Correct, no reason not to play autumn guy with so many ways to produce G and W off dorks/basics.
    2: Still being tested but I doubt we want to give lands to our opponent when we're a mana denial deck.
    3: The only reason to be running leyline instead of surgical is if you're playing chalice because then you can't cast it. Surgical is just a better all-around card.

Has anyone tried TNN? Making a blue maverick list. Still running the usual maverick package of some number of GSZ and Kotr

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman32 View Post
    Has anyone tried TNN? Making a blue maverick list. Still running the usual maverick package of some number of GSZ and Kotr
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...6059-Deck-Bant

They play Brainstorm, FoW and Daze rather than some amount of GSZ, Thalia and Mother of Runes. Don't recall seeing anything reminding of it here.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Any new Maverick things floating around?

I am currently on DnT but miss my GW monster every time I sleeve up.

Played in a 6 round Legacy Classic here in Beautiful British Columbia at Magic Stronghold Games, bringing back some of my juicy tech. I present-

Maverick 2. Return of the Maindeck Thoughtseize. Rated R. In theaters Saturday.

3 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

3 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    2 Birds of Paradise
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    -22-

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland
    -23-

1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Garruk, Relentless
    1 Liliana, The Last Hope
    1 Knight of Autumn
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Harm's Way
    2 Surgical Extraction

First time trying Thoughtseize in the main since DRS left this format. I cut my girl Marit Lage for a basic swamp and more deck slots for these Thoughtseizes, going up to second Bird as well to help cast my spells. I didn't draw Harm's Way all day so I get to play my spicy tech card and not get punished for it being bad ;3. Hymn was insane, as were the walkers over choke. I don't actually own Trophies but Decay was good (played Eldrazi where I'd rather have Trophy but mostly preferred Decay) and the 1 path was nice as well. I wish I had room to maindeck Knight of Autumn or just play more of them in general, but alas slots are tight and I have so many 3 drops.

Here's a quick tournament report, made with love using bad notes and an even worse memory, so some details may be wrong.

Rd 1 Grixis Control

Game 1 he draws both his fish and I don't draw anything for it and I just die. I don't let this get to me though and do my same SB plan of boarding plows and bringing in decays
    Game 2 Honestly forget but I win
    Game 3 I have an early turn that's Wasteland you, active knight to get BB -> Hymn you hitting land and brainstorm (wow this feels so good not being on the receiving end), play Thalia. He misses his land drop and doesn't have a cantrip now. I set up big board of knight knight thalia mom ranger to his couple strixes and I mom both knights past those and nail him for 18 in one hit.

+1 Elspeth
    +1 Garruk
    +1 Liliana
    +1 Knight of Autumn
    +2 Decay
    +1 Hymn
    -1 Teeg
    -1 Pridemage
    -2 Thoughtseize
    -3 Plow

2-1
    1-0

Round 2 Eldrazi

Game 1 he Thoughtknots me turn 2 taking tracker. I peel plow and plow it drawing knight. He has a chalice a couple turns later but I wasteland him 4 times and then kill him with big girls.
    Game 2 I keep a hand all in on wastelanding him and only spell is a plow. He turn 1 Spyglasses me and names Wasteland. Oops. I topdeck like a god most of the game and the game goes long. He ends up sowering me but he hits a wasteland that can't be used and 2 useless Verdants. At one point my board is 2 knights and a teeg and he's already had to chump with Endbringer and Sower. I play out a 3rd knight just cuz and he tutors ballista kills Teeg, and turns my board to dust. oops that's a !punt, he thinks about playing endless one for like 2 or something as a blocker because he's at one but decides to hold it to make a huge one next turn. I peel thoughtseize and rip it out of his hand, then peel the 4th Knight turn after. I drew really well this game.

+1 Garruk Relentless
    +1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    +1 Knight of Autumn
    +2 Abrupt Decay
    +1 Path to Exile
    +1 Harm's Way (lol)
    -3 Mother of Runes
    -3 Thalia
    -1 SOFI

2-0
    2-0

Rd 3 UW Control w/ RIP+Helm+Field

Game 1 Have no interaction and just die to the combo after putting him to 1
    Game 2 Grindy control game I don't really remember
    Game 3 7 hand has 0 lands. 6 hand has 0 lands. Keep 5 of Thalia, Pridemage, Decay, Scrubland, Bayou. Keep forest on top. I draw Thoughtseize the turn after I play Thalia, would've pref'd that turn 1 but w/e still good as it sees a bunch of lands and Jace and maybe some other spell I can't remember but cya Jace. He taps out for Mentor and I get to decay it on my turn. He plays Energy Field and I Knight of Autumn it and he just eventually dies to some 2/x's beating him down.

+1 Elspeth
    +1 Garruk
    +1 Liliana
    +1 Knight
    +2 Decay
    +1 Hymn
    -4 Plow
    -1 Ramunap
    -1 Wasteland
    -1 Ooze

2-1
    3-0

Rd 4 Miracles

Game 1 I thoughtseize him and he has 1 land, BS, 2 plow, CJ, Counterbalance, snapcaster. I take brainstorm and he ends up just top-decking 4 more lands in a row but I win the game eventually by having my early drops plowed, Pridemaging his CB, getting Knight CJ'd, and then resolving SoFI and getting it to eventually equip and then he died
    Game 2 I resolve SOFI again and I have Thalia + Karakas. I'm patient and eventually find an opening to resolve Garruk. Makes a wolf every turn, he keeps clearing the board but the woofy boiz don't stop until he's dead, the sword quickens the pace. I had some gas going on in my hand like Liliana -> Knight of Autumn or w/e but he died before we got around to doing that.

+1 Elspeth
    +1 Garruk
    +1 Liliana
    +1 Knight
    +2 Decay
    +1 Hymn
    -4 Plow
    -1 Noble
    -1 Jitte
    -1 Wasteland
    2-0
    4-0

Draw
    Draw

First after swiss

Quarters vs Oops all bolts (UR Delver/Wizard Prowess)

Game 1 I keep a 2 lander with Thoughtseize and Library. I see delver daze bolt and cantrips. Im tempted to take daze to resolve library but I take Delver which slows his clock down a lot. I whiff on a 3rd land for like 6 turns but he whiffs on a threat for quite a while as well so I felt good taking the delver, I can't come back fast enough by the time I got another land.
    Game 2 I play a ton of removal and win with big Knights. He punts somewhere in the middle of the game by playing Soul-Scar and is about to playing something else in the same turn but I have canonist and he brain-farted and was like 'oh derp right that's not non-creature it's non-artifact'
    Game 3 Close game I end up playing a bunch of removal and a Hymn and have big Knights and Thalia again. His last turn he plays out Soul-Scar and has 1 card in hand. I'm at 6 but I play Knight of Autumn and gain 4 life which pretty much ensures my win at that point.

+1 Knight
    +2 Canonist
    +2 Decay
    +1 Path
    +1 Harm's Way
    +1 Hymn
    -3 Thoughtseize
    -1 Library
    -1 Pridemage
    -1 Teeg
    -1 Tracker
    -1 Ramunap

We split top 4, I pick up a Masterpiece Liliana.

Shoutout to wolves, Garruk and Hymn thanks for the carry. Heck even Thoughtseize has a moon on it for those boys to howl to. GG's.

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Any new Maverick things floating around?

I am currently on DnT but miss my GW monster every time I sleeve up.
    76% winrate over 100 Matches

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1428944#paper

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    I really like your list. Would you mind answering a few questions?

How firm is the Macabre/Surgical split? Have you felt any strong urges to go 4x Surgical, 0x Macabre?

Do you miss Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage or Maze of Ith?

Have you considered Tireless Tracker or Ramunap Excavator? What about Sanctum Prelate or Containment Priest?

Which matchups do you feel are toughest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post

How firm is the Macabre/Surgical split? Have you felt any strong urges to go 4x Surgical, 0x Macabre?

Have you considered Tireless Tracker or Ramunap Excavator? What about Sanctum Prelate or Containment Priest?

Same questions for me. Plus add that I wanted to know about how palace jailler is performing, and how is that list performing against miracles specifically. I feel the only problem I have online is that matchup and the rest are pretty much manageable with some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post

1. I think the diversity is good vs reanimator due to chancellor. Also good vs dredge because of therapy.
    2. I don’t play dd/ts. I like my deck to be consistent and want to minimize mulligans.
    3. I played both in the jailer slots. Jailer has been very good, it can swing matches that you though we’re over. I
    Am playing 2 prelate in the 3rd canonist and path to exile slots. Containment priest is what I’ll probably play at eternal weekend, due to how good it is vs dredge and sneak.
    4. Miracles and sneak are my toughest matches.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    1. I think the diversity is good vs reanimator due to chancellor. Also good vs dredge because of therapy.
    2. I don’t play dd/ts. I like my deck to be consistent and want to minimize mulligans.
    3. I played both in the jailer slots. Jailer has been very good, it can swing matches that you though we’re over. I
    Am playing 2 prelate in the 3rd canonist and path to exile slots. Containment priest is what I’ll probably play at eternal weekend, due to how good it is vs dredge and sneak.
    4. Miracles and sneak are my toughest matches.
    Have you tried a 2nd Teeg in the SB for use vs Miracles? Also, I imagine the Containment Priest, Sanctum Prelates, and Knight of Autumn shore up the game vs Sneak and Show significantly! Is it still rough, after all those additions?
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Thread Information