Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Do not underestimate Tendershoot Dryad, it served me quite well in Limited. It should be possible to support Ascend if your goal is to grind with it in the longer games.

Mar 2016
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Playing 1 Bayou and 1 Scrubland has been fine for me and I think that's a pretty normal configuration. Edit: I thought your question was 1 vs 2 Bayous, but if you are asking if you can exclude Scrubland that will be a problem for you at times, starting with a forest, fetch and decay for example. But you can, of course, exclude it.

Discard is very good vs combo decks since you otherwise can't interact with them on t1, being on the draw t2 interaction is quite slow.

Edit: very welcome btw! :)
    Thanks for the feedback!

I've adjusted my list to "only" 3 colours. What are your thoughts?

Lands: 23
    1x Bayou
    1x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    1x Ghost Quarter
    2x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath

Creatures: 25
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    2x Mother of Runes
    1x Noble Hierarch
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1x Tireless Tracker
    1x Voice of Resurgence

Spells: 12
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Abrupt Decay
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard:
    1x Abrupt Decay
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Choke
    2x Containment Priest
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Reclamation Sage
    2x Surgical Extraction
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Zealous Persecution

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Yutao View Post
    Is there like a token generator that's GSZithable? My meta's been a ton of grindy stoneblade and piles recently and I'm starting to consider sword of body and mind.
    Ant Queen
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Jade Mage, Ant Queen, Deranged Hermit, imperious perfect, Rhys The Redeemed
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I like Ant Queen way more than Tendershoot Dryad as at least it's a 5/5. If I'm going to run a 5-drop against decks like Pile I want something that's going to provide some value if it immediately eats a Bolt or K-Command or gets tagged by an edict effect. I'd prefer something like Titania, Protector of Argoth or even Thragtusk even if they're not traditional token-makers as they're almost guaranteed to provide some value.

Another consideration could be Garruk, Primal Hunter. His main downside is costing GGG, but he spits out 3/3 tokens and gets himself out of Bolt range right away. Alternatively, he can be cashed in right away to draw cards if you've already got a board presence.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyod17 View Post
    Another consideration could be Garruk, Primal Hunter. His main downside is costing GGG, but he spits out 3/3 tokens and gets himself out of Bolt range right away. Alternatively, he can be cashed in right away to draw cards if you've already got a board presence.
    I think he was specifically asking for GSZ targets that produce tokens.

If we are talking planeswalker I believe the best one for this deck is Garruk Relentless since he produces 2/2s and can act as removal, albeit a costly one, if necessary. His flip side abilities are also very relevant (great blockers, more tutoring, trample for kotr? yes please!).

4-5 cmc seems like a bit of a stretch. I guess I'm just looking for a huntmaster of the fells type card. ETB value, and can cause some serious value if left unchecked. Planeswalkers are great against 4c, just not Zenithable. Voice of Resurgence does a pretty alright job against them, since I don't think they have any form of exile. Ophiomancer can technically make value, only that it dies to everything and can't be zenithable. Caller of the Claw doesn't work well with zenith but can be pretty devastating against a deluge.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sigarda not good enough? Can't die to basically anything from Pile plus it carries weapons so fucking well
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Sigarda not good enough? Can't die to basically anything from Pile plus it carries weapons so fucking well
    Almost agreed it can only be Deluged for 5 life. Don't use idiotic Ant Queen or etc when you have Flying edict proof 5/5 hexproof killer.

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I used to love Sidarga but just feels bad right now with so many Baleful Strix running around.

^^ This.

Unless you plan on using all your removal on strix, I'd stay away from the lady. You can always give it pro black with mom, but doing it for only 5 damage seems greedy. Now for a 10/10 knight or a 20/20 lage that would be a different thing...

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Yutao View Post
    4-5 cmc seems like a bit of a stretch. I guess I'm just looking for a huntmaster of the fells type card. ETB value, and can cause some serious value if left unchecked. Planeswalkers are great against 4c, just not Zenithable. Voice of Resurgence does a pretty alright job against them, since I don't think they have any form of exile. Ophiomancer can technically make value, only that it dies to everything and can't be zenithable. Caller of the Claw doesn't work well with zenith but can be pretty devastating against a deluge.
    Aren't you answering your own question? Huntmaster should be fine then. Master of the Wild Hunt is another 4 drop that creates a token a turn, but falls into the range of dying to Lightning Bolt. That's why I suggested Ant Queen, as it is a 5/5 that avoids Bolt. I can see having 8 mana available realistically as well, meaning you can Zenith for it and then make a token to avoid Edict. Most of the other token producers require a tap effect, so I think Ant Queen and Jade Mage are likely better (they can also both be activated several times a turn.) Jade Mage is cheaper to Zenith + activate (7 mana) but still doesn't avoid Bolt/KCommand as removal.

EDIT: If it's value you want, and not just more bodies, Eternal Witness seems very strong (if you haven't already included 1 in your 75.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Any tips on the Turbo Depths matchup?

My win and in for the top 8 is with a really good Turbo Depths player.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post

Lands/Turbo Depths and TNN are the main reason I play 2 Blessed Alliance in the board. It's also a bonus that it helps with burn, reanimator, show and tell and sometimes even decks with infinite blockers like grixis delver.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

As mention blessed alliance, KotR, obviously wasteland and ghost quarter, side in artifact removal against needles. Discard is also good in early turn. If you running mom use it and has for bop to block token. Turn 2, KotR is also good. Timing is the most important don't try to waste vs open green mana, Tax him play and fetch at his eot. Don't forgot about Sylvan Safekeeper. You have two options attack him early on Mana when he is tapped or side in special cards like Zealous Persecution. Very nice is also gsz for Granger to ping him constantly. To use combo he needs additional 2 Mana along with DD/TS. Keep in STP to gain time against fast token.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Would you bring in Decays and ZP? Seems like I could overboard pretty easily.

I’m running straight GW main with Cradle and Maze, side board is QC’s.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Would you bring in Decays and ZP? Seems like I could overboard pretty easily.

I’m running straight GW main with Cradle and Maze, side board is QC’s.
    All depends what you seen G1 and what is your opponent game plan on G2.
    If you running GW with maze which isn't bad here
    , you probably run 2 Qasali and any kind of additional removal like path to exile except swords to Plowshares. Maverick is favorable here since you have so many routes to interact like:
    -stop combo by wasteland
    -stop combo by ghost quarter
    -block token with flyer and mom backup
    -block token with maze
    -kill token with STP
    -kill token with path/blessed alliance
    -bounce token with Karakas
    -assemble own token if you run DD/TS(use their DD)
    -kill their Mana base so they don't have Mana

Each other card which doesn't lead to those routes should be sided out, except Jitte.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    All depends what you seen G1 and what is your opponent game plan on G2.
    If you running GW with maze which isn't bad here
    , you probably run 2 Qasali and any kind of additional removal like path to exile except swords to Plowshares. Maverick is favorable here since you have so many routes to interact like:
    -stop combo by wasteland
    -stop combo by ghost quarter
    -block token with flyer and mom backup
    -block token with maze
    -kill token with STP
    -kill token with path/blessed alliance
    -bounce token with Karakas
    -assemble own token if you run DD/TS(use their DD)
    -kill their Mana base so they don't have Mana

Each other card which doesn't lead to those routes should be sided out, except Jitte.
    Thanks!

I play all of this except GQ and Path. We play tonight.... I’ll let you know how It Goes!

Edit: lost 2-0.... game 1 he had turn 1 forest Safekeeper, turn 2 urborg, Crop Rotation, Dark Depths, hexmage.... game 2 he drew exactly what he needed while hellbent 3-4 turns in a row... including double map, Thoughtseize and Crop Rotation for the steppe. I drew zero wastelands bob games and still feel like it is a good matchup for us.
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 04-05-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

Thanks!

I play all of this except GQ and Path. We play tonight.... I’ll let you know how It Goes!

Edit: lost 2-0.... game 1 he had turn 1 forest Safekeeper, turn 2 urborg, Crop Rotation, Dark Depths, hexmage.... game 2 he drew exactly what he needed while hellbent 3-4 turns in a row... including double map, Thoughtseize and Crop Rotation for the steppe. I drew zero wastelands bob games and still feel like it is a good matchup for us.
    sometimes they just have it all...

did you play your knight-less list with 3 Tracker,1 Crop Rotation Main?
    i think ill give it a try!

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Thanks!

Scenario from game 1 is interesting:

Turn 1:
    Forest -> Safekeeper

Turn 2:
    Urborg, -> Crop Rotation (from Forest) - so urborg stays inplay. - in this moment (while Crop is on stack) you have window to cast removal and opponent have to choose - losing Safekeeper or slowing down his combo by turn. Poper line is to cast that removal since on longer game you won't resolve any removal with safekeeper in play in row (mostly no mana, and first is blocked by Safekeeper).

Alternative good line is to cast removal on safekeeper right away in turn 1. It's depends on two factors - first factor does you have mana dork (if not you should cast removal turn 1, even if it only mean 'stone rain') second factor is draw/play situation - on draw this line is much more risky since you don't develop your board.

As Skizz said - it's Magic sometimes combo decks have everything and you can't stop them - like turn 1 AdN on draw, Belcher canon or Dark ritual thoughtsize, entomb, reanimate... BUT it is narrow best way to deal with those combo decks is to practice a lot, sometimes we just didn't saw window in time to break sequence of their plan.

Thread Information