Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
    welcome @alvoi

your list should be a good start playing, but if you ever can purchase some noble hierarchs, get em!

i see its a budget reason, but if you play 4 birds you should play at least 1 Sword of XY (Fire & Ice) because birds cant attack/block with equipped jitte on them and you never get profit out of that.

also if you have access to Discord https://discord.gg/rgsSje4, your welcome to join us . there is a P.Fire channel where good players discuss that archtype
    Thank you!

I know that the birds of paradise are a budget reason, but I think also that we need a lot of red mana. So when I will buy the hierarchs I think I will also add another red source (maybe the second taiga?).

But for now, I think I will play with birds. The sword is a nice idea, which do you think is better? I was thinking about sword of feast and famine because it is also good against combo (making them discard so they have less cards), and combo is one of our worse matchups. What would you remove for the sword? Another equipment? Maybe I can move the batterskull to the sideboard, I think jitte is too powerful and playing 2 copies is good against artifact removal (we don't have any recursion so when a jitte dies the only way to have it again is to have a second copy). What do you think?

For the sideboard, I was thinking about playing: 1 bojuka bog, 2 pyroblast, 1 gaddock teeg, 4 thalia guardian of thraben (so I can switch her with punishing fires in some matchups). But then I don't know what else. Maybe something like manriki-gusari, or the second qasali pridemage?

EDIT: I don't have discord so I think I will just stay here

Thank you!

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new and I'm getting into legacy. I just purchased some duals so I can play a real deck. This is the list I am going to play:

Welcome, check out the section of the Primer on Page 1 which focuses on the Punishing Fire version if you haven't already!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Gronder sounds like a dating app for people who play Knight of the Reliquary.

Yeah I read it and it was really nice, thank you!

So, after reading it, I have some cards that I would like to put in the deck (but I don't know what to remove):

— Sword of Feast and Famine (also because Skizz said it). I tried the sword (instead of the batterskull) and it was really nice, even though I think the batterskull is better in some matchups (like control). So, what can I remove for the sword? Now I'm playing with 3 SFM, 2 jittes and 1 batterskull. Could I move to 3 SFM, 2 jittes, 1 batterskull and 1 sword? Or shall I remove the second jitte? I really like it though, it is very useful in a lot of matchups.

— Tireless Tracker. I have played it in modern in the Todd Stevens deck (the one with Ramunap Excavator, Azusa, Courser of Kruphix and so on) and it really shined. I think it would be a nice fit also in maverick, but again: what to remove? Maybe I can get rid of voice, against decks with plow it does nothing; the tracker instead at least cycles (obviously I would play it only before my land drop, so I can take advantage of a clue before the opponent plows/bolts it.

— Gaddock Teeg. I see that everyone plays it in the maindeck. I would rather play it in sideboard, so I will ask you: why do you play it in the maindeck? Is it okay if I play it in sideboard, or shall I play it in maindeck?

— Horizon Canopy. I don't own the card yet but I think in the future I will buy 1-2 copies. It is a really nice land, but our manabase is really tight for now: I can't remove the dual lands (or can I?), neither the fetchlands, the utility lands or the basic lands. So the choice is: I can get rid of 1 Savannah or 1 Wasteland for Horizon Canopy. What would you do? Removing the second savannah would be better for budget reasons, but I cannot think only about budget, I have to think also about the best choices for the deck! So I'm not sure.

I hope you will answer me, sorry if I'm not good at english but I'm italian so in my mind I'm thinking in italian and it is difficult to translate.

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

@alvoi:

- regarding Swords X/Y:

best sword is still Sword of Fire and Ice because of the following reasons :
    pro Blue: fights through TNN and Strix / pro Red : good against Bolt/Goblins etc (less important)
    draw a card : very good CA to get more pressure out of the deck.

next best sword = Sword of Light and Shadow:
    pro white: great against Death and Taxes and mirror/ swords to plowshares
    pro black: great againts Death Shadow / Angler Fish / Strix / black removal in general
    recursiuon gets you back Pridemage etc. / lifegain is "ok" but not relevant at all

feast and famine
    pro green and pro black is good against the most creature colours but the effect to untap lands is marginal
    make the opponent discard is "ok" but if you use it against combo decks - its way too slow to connect.
    dont recommend it at actual meta

==> swap the 2nd jitte for sword fire and ice and test it a few games

(also if you want a good recursion card -> renegade rallier brings you back all CMC2 or less permanents (jitte/Pridemage/wasteland etc.pp)

- regarding Tireless Tracker:
    way better than voice of resurgance (would swap it in your deck)
    its one of the best CA Engines we have - especially in long grindy games it will push you ahead.

- reg. gaddock teeg:
    its a core-hatebear which you should never remove in your maindeck.
    imagine you play turn 1 manadork / turn two GSZ for gaddock teeg against a combodeck like ANT - its immediatly game over for them preboard.
    also stops jace, terminus, force of will, challice, sneak attack etc.

- reg. horizon canopy
    its a good card and you can swap one wasteland for it (punishing fire mostly only plays 3 wasteland)

Oh, thank you a lot! Following your advices I made this changes:
    -1 voice of resurgence
    -1 wasteland
    -1 jitte
    +1 sword of fire&ice
    +1 canopy
    +1 tracker
    +1 gaddock

Now I'm playing with 61 cards (I don't know what to remove) and it's fine I hope.

I'm thinking about swapping the sylvan library for a renegade rallier in the maindeck, and put the library in sideboard. What do you think?

My sideboard for now:
    1 bojuka bog
    4 thalia guardian of thraben
    2 pyroblast
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 life from the loam
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 sylvan library
    3 surgical extraction

What would you add to my sideboard? Maybe something else for combo matchups?

Thank you all!

Nov 2012

you could cut 1 fetch land to go back down to 60 cards

i dont know your meta BUT
    i would suggest you cut the 1 Jitte and 1 Thalia for 2 ethersworn canonists
    normally you dont need life from the loam in general -> you could bring in reclamation sage for additional hate on artifacts/enchantments.

deck should be fine for now. let us know how it works :-)

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

with Ramump you want knights, wastelands, and horizon

I think that this new card can solve some problems to maverick's and could worth splash black for it.

https://www.cardmarket.com/it/Magic/...sassins-Trophy

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    I think that this new card can solve some problems to maverick's and could worth splash black for it.

https://www.cardmarket.com/it/Magic/...sassins-Trophy
    That is a killer card for...modern

Nov 2012

great card with a loooot of versatility!
    in abzan version it will probably replace abrupt decay

Anybody already tried (play tested) Assasins Trophy MD in GWB Mav?

Knight of Autumn is nuts. RIP pridemage? :(

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Knight of Autumn is nuts. RIP pridemage? :(
    3 mana.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    3 mana.
    Qasali is 3 mana, too.

I think Knight will be better. More versatility is more power

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    3 mana.
    You're right 1GW for a knight is unthinkable

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    ... More versatility is more power
    Exactly. This is why QPM is still way better.

It's a fine complememt to QPM though.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Knight is way more comparable to Rec Sage than it is to pridemage. They do completely different things. I can see them working side by side but not one over the other.

Do you play rec sage? If yes, it should be Knight. -- If not, do you play 2 pridemages? If yes, the second should be knight. Otherwise, stick with pridemage.

hi guys
    i know that what i'm writing will seems heresy for lot of You

but in my meta i'm not sure about Mother of runes

i would like to cut this 4x cc1 drop (and 1 is already gone)

what would you like to put in?

this is my list, is small tuning by Kodaira Syouta one

23 LANDS
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 bayou
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    4 Savannah
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

23 CREATURES

1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Renegade Rallier
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Voice of Resurgence

9 INSTANTS and SORC.

2 Council's Judgment
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

5 OTHER SPELLS

1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Nissa, Vital Force
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

SIDEBOARD
    2 Choke
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Mistcutter hydra
    2 Golgari charm
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 XXXXX

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

If your meta is more combo / mass removal oriented you can easily cut all moms (I use only 1 Sylvan Safekeeper as protection on demand under GSZ), that free slots for more CA creatures like Renegade Railler or Tireless Tracker which is very good and you should consider it MD imo, I'm not a big fan of Voice of Resurgence, I would rather put SFM since it always bring CA.

Soon Black splash will get Decay on Steroids, which would be 4-of probably MD, since it can kill lands and walkers on instant.

Mistcutter hydra ? Vs which deck, It's just cute and totally useless, probably better use Tindermare if you wan't haste, unblockable creature (it can be GSZ).

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    If your meta is more combo / mass removal oriented you can easily cut all moms (I use only 1 Sylvan Safekeeper as protection on demand under GSZ), that free slots for more CA creatures like Renegade Railler or Tireless Tracker which is very good and you should consider it MD imo, I'm not a big fan of Voice of Resurgence, I would rather put SFM since it always bring CA.

Soon Black splash will get Decay on Steroids, which would be 4-of probably MD, since it can kill lands and walkers on instant.

Mistcutter hydra ? Vs which deck, It's just cute and totally useless, probably better use Tindermare if you wan't haste, unblockable creature (it can be GSZ).

IN my meta i expect lots of combo, eldrazi (mom....), control with big removal.

Mistcutter his my personal choice against hard control (i.e preban UBG control).
    it kills jace and every pw because of haste + hexproof is a sort of removal for planeswalker in late game, when you lost your resource and oppo too, he cast pw and you cast this and it's really good.

Tindermare what is? i guess is misspell but i did not understand what you mean (except thundemare lol)

Tireless Tracker: i test it, too slow for my playstile. I always have other to do than sacrifice clues.

Voice: i was skeptical about, but after some playtest i think is fucking good, it does 2 x 1 most of time and i love it. I advice you to test it.

Now i'm thinking of

-3 mom
    +1 gsz
    +1 wasteland
    +1 safekeeper

SFM are nice, but whit decay\trophy i guess it will lose sense.

Maybe with decay+trophy mom could became usefull again.

Thread Information