Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Last edited by Mr. Safety; 02-04-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

That's a very strange list, these are the first questions that came to my mind:

Why Arid Mesa over Wooded Foothills? You have Dryad Arbor...

Why 2 Qasali Pridemage instead of the split with Knight of Autumn?

I also think you can cut a Plains for a Plateau and then go down to 3 Grove of the Burnwillows and 3 Wasteland to add some other useful utility lands, like Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage or Horizon Canopy. I think 22 lands + Dryad Arbor is enough

Aren't just 3 Birds of Paradise not enough? I think turn 1 you always want to play either mana accelerant (BoP, Hierarch or GSZ to grab Dryad) or Mother of Runes. I would add the fourth bird or one Noble Hierarch

Cards that you can consider also: Ramunap Excavator, Tireless Tracker, Renegade Rallier, Sylvan Safekeeper, Sylvan Library. I also run some non creature spells, because we don't play Thalia, Guardian of Thraben so we unlock some useful cards like Life from the Loam or Crop Rotation.

In the sideboard, I think that 3 Chokes are too many, 2 are enough. Surely you need 2 or 3 Surgical Extractions, but you can also consider playing Thalia, Guardian of Thraben for those matchups in which Punishing Fire is useless (ANT, S&T, TES, ...)

Nov 2010

I do have an Excavator, easy one. I'll cut a Mindcensor for it. Arid Mesa over Foothills is because of card availability, don't have Foothills. Horizon Canopy, same, card availability is nill. Two pridemages was because of mana curve, I was thin at 2 mana for creatures. If its correct to play Knight I will get one and do that. Fourth birds is completely reasonable, I would likely cut the Ajani for it. I also have the Safekeepers/Library's. I didn't know if Safekeeper was necessary with Mother of Runes already in the deck.

So initial changes I will definitely do:
    -1 Ajani Vengeant
    +1 Birds

-1 Aven Mindcensor
    +1 Ramunap Excavator

-1 Grove
    -1 Punishing Fire
    +2 Sylvan Library

-1 Plains
    +1 Plateau (once I get one, working on it)

Sideboard
    +2 Surgical
    +1 Ajani Vengeant
    -1 Sigarda
    -2 Blessed Alliance

Thanks for the feedback! I have been away from this style of deck for a long time, it really helps. I was poking through lists on here and I assembled one based on current card availability.

Yeah, every Maverick deck is thin at 2 mana creatures, but that's okay. Just t1 dork and t2 three mana drop, easy

Library is really bad in multiples, so 1 is enough. I play 4 Mom and 1 Safekeeper, I think is a bit too much but you can play 3 Mom and 1 Safekeeper in my opinion.

Why do you play Ajani Vengeant in the sideboard? I think the right planeswalker is Garruk Relentless, very powerful in this deck.

My current sideboard is:

1 Knight of Autumn
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog

KoA is there because I split 1/1 KoA/QP in maindeck. Thalia can be cut to three copies, but she is too good against combo. Obviously REB can be also Pyroblast. Council's Judgment because I HATE TNN. Bojuka Bog is fine, I have 1x Crop Rotation in maindeck but it's good also without it (with 4x Knight of the Reliquary...)

Nov 2010

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    Yeah, every Maverick deck is thin at 2 mana creatures, but that's okay. Just t1 dork and t2 three mana drop, easy

Library is really bad in multiples, so 1 is enough. I play 4 Mom and 1 Safekeeper, I think is a bit too much but you can play 3 Mom and 1 Safekeeper in my opinion.

Why do you play Ajani Vengeant in the sideboard? I think the right planeswalker is Garruk Relentless, very powerful in this deck.

My current sideboard is:

1 Knight of Autumn
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog

KoA is there because I split 1/1 KoA/QP in maindeck. Thalia can be cut to three copies, but she is too good against combo. Obviously REB can be also Pyroblast. Council's Judgment because I HATE TNN. Bojuka Bog is fine, I have 1x Crop Rotation in maindeck but it's good also without it (with 4x Knight of the Reliquary...)
    Thalia sideboard sounds very good. I'm assuming you cut pfire for them?

Most of the time yes, swap PFire for Thalia is an easy sideboarding

Nov 2010

Ajani Vengeant is just a pet card, I'm always trying to cram it into decks. My fun-bias is based on it possibly being good in grindy matchups to lock down individually powerful threats (Gurmag, Tarmogoyf, Griselbrand), cutting off a color by locking down a land, swinging life totals to be favored in a race, and in extreme cases blowing up Miracles/Grixis Control's lands if they deal with my threats. I don't disagree on Garruk Relentless, I love that card and I think it's an underplayed gem as well.

I have some acquiring to do. I need 3-4x Thalia for my sideboard, a Plateau, swap out Arid Mesa for Wooded Foothills, and get some Knight of Autumn copies. Oof, close but still far away, and that's not counting the fact that I don't have Nobles (which are likely pretty important, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Ajani Vengeant is just a pet card, I'm always trying to cram it into decks. My fun-bias is based on it possibly being good in grindy matchups to lock down individually powerful threats (Gurmag, Tarmogoyf, Griselbrand), cutting off a color by locking down a land, swinging life totals to be favored in a race, and in extreme cases blowing up Miracles/Grixis Control's lands if they deal with my threats. I don't disagree on Garruk Relentless, I love that card and I think it's an underplayed gem as well.

I have some acquiring to do. I need 3-4x Thalia for my sideboard, a Plateau, swap out Arid Mesa for Wooded Foothills, and get some Knight of Autumn copies. Oof, close but still far away, and that's not counting the fact that I don't have Nobles (which are likely pretty important, right?)
    I think in this deck you prefer BoP to Hierarch because of the red mana. You need a ton of red mana, and Hierarch doesn't do it. You can still play one or two Hierarchs if you want

Thread Information