Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Confused about your wording but you cannot GSZ for Jailer.

The most popular configurations are both with 4 wasteland, you either get stage+depths or Cradle+Maze.

As far as I know, not many people play Ghost quarter but I am currently testing it with Maze+Cradle to help against Pile and Grixis.
    Isn't 6 colorless lands too many?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by delfam View Post
    Isn't 6 colorless lands too many?
    The version I play, Straight GW, has 3 basics and for the most part the deck has no difficult mana requirements. GSZ allows the deck to essentially run off of G as you can always get a DRS to provide W mana.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Super bummed no Thalia’s got into the GP top 16...

On a bright note I was able to 4-0 a local this week. Ghost Quarter + Excavator were valuable both together and separate as I was only able to get them together on one occasion.

Real Quick:

Round 1 2-0 DnT
    While I love DnT and one day might switch to playing it.... I have a great matchup against the deck with Maverick. We win the equipment war pre and post board in addition to having ZP to win the MoR war.

Game 1 was won win a Scryb Ranger winning the MoR battle and game 2 was won by being the only person active equipment.

Round 2 2-1 Burn
    All 3 games were super close, Pridemage was an MVP killing vortex and eidolon game 1. I was able to Quarter a dual to get a basic and minimize price damage all 3 games.

Round 3 2-0 Grixis Delver
    This is why we play Mav...
    Equipment and recurring Wastelands seal the deal.

Round 4
    2-1 Czech
    I was able to land a few awkward boardstates for him with Prelate, and generally I won the die roll and was able to stay a turn ahead with Thalia, Waste and Knights. We need a better plan for control garbage.
    Game 3 I was able to keep him off of red through a combination of waste/Quarter and Thalia which allowed me to get an active Sword for a few turns. This allowed me to kill his DRSx2 and win the long game.

I’m still working on the SB and hope we get something in the next set and not a DRS ban.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Hey guys, I once played maverick but it's been years since I sleeved it and I'm thinking of giving it a chance in the next tournament. Right now I'm no this list:

4 deathrite shaman
    4 mother of runes
    4 thalia, guardian of thraben
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 tireless tracker
    1 scryb ranger
    1 scavenging ooze
    2 stoneforge mystic
    1 ramunap excavator
    4 knight of the reliquary
    1 leovold, emissary of trest
    4 swords to plowshares
    1 abrupt decay
    4 green sun's zenith
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 sylvan library
    4 wastelands
    4 windswept heath
    3 verdant catacombs
    1 marsh flat
    2 savannah
    2 bayou
    1 tropical island
    1 scrubland
    1 plains
    1 forest
    1 dryad arbor
    1 karakas
    1 gaea's cradle

SIDE
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 sanctum prelate
    4 thoughtseize
    1 gideon, ally of zendikar
    1 maelstrom pulse
    1 abrupt decay
    1 choke
    2 surgical extraction
    2 zelous persecution

Things I like:
    • the maindeck decay, and if I could i would squeeze a second copy
    • Excavator and Leovold since they are excellent hatebears
    • Tracker since is a CA engine and alternative win condition in case of RiP/leyline

Things I don't like:
    • the absence of Exalted creatures, because without those triggers our creatures are fairly small (save for knight of course) and can be difficult to race. Moreover multiple copies of Qasali helped against random art/ench stuff while clocking the opponent
    • stoneforge, because I found them quite slow and a tempo sink
    • sylvan library (maindeck), mainly because it's slow and not always functional for our game plan, and wit all these leovold running around may be a liability. It's perfectly fine as a side card I think for the grindier MU

My impressions come from a long time but old experience with the deck and may be biased. What do you think?

PS: a friend of mine is playing a list with 4 Dark Confidant in place of the stoneforges (but still plays equipments), decay and I don't know what else (he even plays a Titania instead of tracker as top end threat).
    I've always seen Bob as great card for Rock style decks, with lower creature count but high number of discard and removal in order to recover from the 1 for 1 faster, but my friends insists that hands with turn 1 mom, turn 2 Bob are very likely to win.
    What do you think?

Greetings.
    Ignorance is strength

I have finished my maverick/loam cross that is really fun, I can chuck a decklist up if people are interested. I did several games of testing at the GP and I do want to find room for Mom & Scryb ranger.

From my testing I have discovered that my sideboard is weak against miracles, so I've been looking at spicy cards such as:

Canopy surge
    aegis of honor (for burn)

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

Has anyone tested new Karn in the SB against Miracles / Pile?

@ kingtk3

Maverick with bobs + decays + dark depths is refered to as Dark Maverick.

Generally speaking, confidant is pretty good at fighting control decks because you just out-draw them. It's much worse against combo and aggressive midrange decks tho. So technically if you have a lot of miracles, czech pile, sylvan plug, enchantress, stax and the likes, it might be very good. Heck, I even bought bobs to try it out a while ago when my meta was infested with those decks but they just vanished so I don't see a point in playing them now.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    @ kingtk3

Maverick with bobs + decays + dark depths is refered to as Dark Maverick.

Generally speaking, confidant is pretty good at fighting control decks because you just out-draw them. It's much worse against combo and aggressive midrange decks tho. So technically if you have a lot of miracles, czech pile, sylvan plug, enchantress, stax and the likes, it might be very good. Heck, I even bought bobs to try it out a while ago when my meta was infested with those decks but they just vanished so I don't see a point in playing them now.
    Thanks for your reply. May I ask some criticism about my own list too? Especially regarding the things I like and I don't like.

Thanks.
    Ignorance is strength

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Hey guys, I once played maverick but it's been years since I sleeved it and I'm thinking of giving it a chance in the next tournament. Right now I'm no this list:

4 deathrite shaman
    4 mother of runes
    4 thalia, guardian of thraben
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 tireless tracker
    1 scryb ranger
    1 scavenging ooze
    2 stoneforge mystic
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 leovold, emissary of trest
    4 swords to plowshares
    1 abrupt decay
    4 green sun's zenith
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 sylvan library
    4 wastelands
    4 windswept heath
    3 verdant catacombs
    1 marsh flat
    2 savannah
    2 bayou
    1 tropical island
    1 scrubland
    1 plains
    1 forest
    1 dryad arbor
    1 karakas
    1 gaea's cradle

SIDE
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 sanctum prelate
    4 thoughtseize
    1 gideon, ally of zendikar
    1 maelstrom pulse
    1 abrupt decay
    1 choke
    2 surgical extraction
    2 zelous persecution

Things I like:
    • the maindeck decay, and if I could i would squeeze a second copy
    • Excavator and Leovold since they are excellent hatebears
    • Tracker since is a CA engine and alternative win condition in case of RiP/leyline

Things I don't like:
    • the absence of Exalted creatures, because without those triggers our creatures are fairly small (save for knight of course) and can be difficult to race. Moreover multiple copies of Qasali helped against random art/ench stuff while clocking the opponent
    • stoneforge, because I found them quite slow and a tempo sink
    • sylvan library (maindeck), mainly because it's slow and not always functional for our game plan, and wit all these leovold running around may be a liability. It's perfectly fine as a side card I think for the grindier MU

My impressions come from a long time but old experience with the deck and may be biased. What do you think?

PS: a friend of mine is playing a list with 4 Dark Confidant in place of the stoneforges (but still plays equipments), decay and I don't know what else (he even plays a Titania instead of tracker as top end threat).
    I've always seen Bob as great card for Rock style decks, with lower creature count but high number of discard and removal in order to recover from the 1 for 1 faster, but my friends insists that hands with turn 1 mom, turn 2 Bob are very likely to win.
    What do you think?

Greetings.
    I like your list. I agree with your thoughts regarding main deck decay, Excavator, and Leo. Since Tracker isn't a hate bear I'm personally not a fan of Tireless Tracker any more since running Leovold in the deck, but your meta might be full of control decks where Tracker shines.

Personally, I always try to have some combination of main deck QPM and Decay that adds up to three. It just really boosts our game 1 odds against D&T, Stoneblade, random Blood Moons, and a whole bunch of other decks.

Library maindeck I think heavily depends on your meta and preferences. No right or wrong answer on that.

I'm down on Stoneforge right now too. Have been thinking of cutting it and going to 2x Jitte like in the old days, but haven't crossed that bridge yet.

One criticism of your list: the Marsh Flats. Personally I think every fetch in the deck should be able to get Dryad Arbor, particularly in a list that runs equipment. Being able to instantly get some type of board presence after a wrath, to "fizzle" an edict effect, or to ambush an attacker are plays that can turn losses into wins. Maybe try a Horizon Canopy - a great utility land with Excavator.

I also play 3 Verdants and 1 Marsh Flats. I personally like having the 5th fetch that goes and gets plains as it's one of our best cards against dnt/delver, so this way I have 7 fetches that get arbor and 5 that get plains as opposed to 8 and 4. I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Have I had situations where I controlled marsh flats and needed Dryad Arbor? Yes, of course, but I've also had times where I've needed a basic white source to not lose to wasteland and just had verdants, so both situations suck.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

If we were to remove the Stone forge package and equipment completely, what would you add?

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    I have finished my maverick/loam cross that is really fun, I can chuck a decklist up if people are interested. I did several games of testing at the GP and I do want to find room for Mom & Scryb ranger.

From my testing I have discovered that my sideboard is weak against miracles, so I've been looking at spicy cards such as:

Canopy surge
    aegis of honor (for burn)
    This sounds interesting, similar to 4c Loam?

I'm not sure Canopy Surge would be very useful against Miracles. Decklist would help, but the likes of Garruk Relentless and generic hatebears (Teeg, Thalia, Prelate) work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

From my previous post:

Since most people are down on equipment right now, what could we do if we removed the whole package....

This is my first draft:

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Shalai, Voice of Plenty

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Ranumap Excavator
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    2 Choke
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Blessed Alliance
    2 Ground Seal

All the white cards have to be killed on sight. I upped the Pridemages to help against DnT and Blood Moon decks.

Sideboard is kind of a mess, but Ground Seal is against opposing DRS decks. Mainboard Thalia's help against a ton of matchups that were previously unfavorable, like elves, and helps keep Delver/Grixis in check while we set up Excavator Recursion.

This is the first draft.. . thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    This sounds interesting, similar to 4c Loam?

I'm not sure Canopy Surge would be very useful against Miracles. Decklist would help, but the likes of Garruk Relentless and generic hatebears (Teeg, Thalia, Prelate) work well.
    My list is:

Lands
    4 wasteland
    4 windswept heath
    1 karakas
    1 swamp
    1 forest
    1 plains
    1 scrubland
    1 bayou
    1 savannah
    1 tropical island
    1 sejiri steppe
    1 marsh flats
    1 ghost quarter
    1 dark depths
    1 verdant catacombs
    1 dryad arbor
    1 maze of ith
    1 thespian stage
    1 bojuka bog

Creatures
    1 birds of paradise
    4 deathrite shaman
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 gaddock teeg
    2 Thalia, guardian of thraben
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 tireless tracker
    1 leovold
    1 Thalia, heretic cathar
    1 ramunap excavator

Spells
    4 crop rotation
    4 green Sun's zenith
    3 swords to plowshares
    1 sylvan library
    2 life from the loam
    3 abrupt decay
    1 maelstrom pulse

Sideboard
    2 thoughtseize
    1 surgical extraction
    1 containment priest
    3 leyline of the void
    1 reclamation sage
    1 toxic deluge
    1 zealous persecution
    1 golgari charm (may make a 2nd persecution)
    1 choke
    2 ethersworn canonist
    1 sanctum prelate

I'd like to get scryb ranger and mother of runes in here but not sure what to cut.

The main thing I have been looking for is a way of dealing damage to the miracles player before they can take a turn to set up their response.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-0...?cb=1526502276

ended up 34th in gp birmingham with this, was at 13th place going into second last round and lost to LED dredge on a misplay think i could of won it, lost last round to food chain combo which in general is a terrible matchup had I won this would of been top 16.

Personally I think deck my of over performed, day one I played against 6 grixis delvers only loosing to one due to land flood who was also one of the top 8 players.

Played the deck for a couple years was going to play delver but decided to have some fun instead.

all in all a bittersweet weekend, scryb ranger still best card in the deck.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by enigma8 View Post
    https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-0...?cb=1526502276

ended up 34th in gp birmingham with this, was at 13th place going into second last round and lost to LED dredge on a misplay think i could of won it, lost last round to food chain combo which in general is a terrible matchup had I won this would of been top 16.

Personally I think deck my of over performed, day one I played against 6 grixis delvers only loosing to one due to land flood who was also one of the top 8 players.

Played the deck for a couple years was going to play delver but decided to have some fun instead.

all in all a bittersweet weekend, scryb ranger still best card in the deck.
    6 matches against Grixis Delver in day 1, geez what an event. Nice finish, if a bit short of where you'd have liked.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    6 matches against Grixis Delver in day 1, geez what an event. Nice finish, if a bit short of where you'd have liked.
    Isn't this the dream for Maverick?

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    If we were to remove the Stone forge package and equipment completely, what would you add?
    This is a kind of choice pretty interesting:

Removing equip package will decrese your race, so you will need more turns to kill Your oppo.
    This mean that the choices if between

Having more tempo
    Cut the rush with more fatties

If we opt for having more tempo, we maybe should try to insert COTV and sometingh to cast it on turn 1

If we opt to have a better rush we should insert something to kill our oppo faster than now, it means maybe red with haste creature, or something else, in a zoo way, but this collide with the control meta that is winning and growing nowadays.

At the moment i think that Maverick GW\b has not enough race to kill oppo, not enough tempo element, and is too dependent from topdecking, so i'm not feeling good with this deck, that is one of my pet deck..

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    This is a kind of choice pretty interesting:

Removing equip package will decrese your race, so you will need more turns to kill Your oppo.
    This mean that the choices if between

Having more tempo
    Cut the rush with more fatties

If we opt for having more tempo, we maybe should try to insert COTV and sometingh to cast it on turn 1

If we opt to have a better rush we should insert something to kill our oppo faster than now, it means maybe red with haste creature, or something else, in a zoo way, but this collide with the control meta that is winning and growing nowadays.

At the moment i think that Maverick GW\b has not enough race to kill oppo, not enough tempo element, and is too dependent from topdecking, so i'm not feeling good with this deck, that is one of my pet deck..
    What's your thoughts about delving deeper into Blue? We could use the cantrips to find (and controlling elements to protect) our beaters.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    What's your thoughts about delving deeper into Blue? We could use the cantrips to find (and controlling elements to protect) our beaters.
    You would immediately lose Thalia, which is kinda the point of Maverick, but you would wind up with a TNN + Stoneforge deck a la Reid Duke.

Thread Information