Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Anyone else here feeling like we really need that new 5mana Vivien as a SB Card for control MUs?
    She`s so great. Making tokens while also allowing to play creatures from top is really rough CA.
    http://www.mythicspoiler.com/iko/car...sadvocate.html

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Been watching videos again as I try and jump back in online. This new Snoko crap seems like insane value. Thinking of ways to deal with it makes me think black splash is needed for cards like Abrupt Decay. Also Leovold seems decent as a one of GSZ target if we have a birds or something that can generate Blue too. I know losing DRS made that a much harder plan.

I almost think with Oko I wouldn’t want the Stoneforge package due to how crazy it would blow up on us. In that case almost want to run a second Scryb ranger for IceFang, Oko, Strix, Delvers. Also think a Slyvan Safekeeper might be needed now as a way to protect against Oko.

Am I just too afraid of Oko, is he really that dumb? Forgive me I’ve been out of touch since before even DRS got the ban hammer.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    Forgive me I’ve been out of touch since before even DRS got the ban hammer.
    Most people playing Knight of the Reliquary have moved more toward either Aggo Loam or Dryad-Titan decks.

Here though is a different approach, closer to Maverick, with the added spice of Oath of Ghouls.

I don't think Oko is a huge problem, but it is an issue for the deck as it was formerly constructed though, as in the DRS days. It is a whole different meta now.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

There is pretty lively discussion in the maverick discord, Seabass, make sure you join. Not to stop any discussion here, but...

To the experts still around here, does the article below sound like a good plan to get started (to me seems to make total sense, but I never played Maverick, so...):

https://greensunszenith.com/building...k-on-a-budget/

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    To the experts still around here, does the article below sound like a good plan to get started (to me seems to make total sense, but I never played Maverick, so...):

https://greensunszenith.com/building...k-on-a-budget/
    Hey Jm, I think the GreenSunsZenith.com's budget build for Maverick is still tuned pretty well for starting out with the deck. There are a few new inclusions you could include from sets released since it was published but the core is fantastic.

Let me know if the site misses anything you wanted to find. Douges - Owner of the GSZ.com

Quote Originally Posted by Douges View Post
    Hey Jm, I think the GreenSunsZenith.com's budget build for Maverick is still tuned pretty well for starting out with the deck. There are a few new inclusions you could include from sets released since it was published but the core is fantastic.

Let me know if the site misses anything you wanted to find. Douges - Owner of the GSZ.com
    Thanks, much appreciated!

Sep 2011

What do you all think about Mirran Crusader as a solution to the Oko meta?

Notice the text: "protection from green". Can't be Elked. Can't be blocked by Elks. Murders attacking Elks.
    Also can't be blocked by surprise Coatl or Uro. Incidental Goyfs and Mandrills are irrelevant. Immune to Decay, Push, and Dismember.

You can curve it out turn 2 with Noble Hierarch. With exalted, it can 1-shot a resolved Oko.

It has some other interesting format interactions. For example, he smashes through a resolved Griselbrand for 4-6, so the opponent can't afford to greedily -14 with the 7/7 on defense. That threat could buy enough tempo to dig into Karakas. Crusader also can't be blocked by Marit Lage (or chumped by Hexmage).

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    What do you all think about Mirran Crusader as a solution to the Oko meta?

Notice the text: "protection from green". Can't be Elked. Can't be blocked by Elks. Murders attacking Elks.
    Also can't be blocked by surprise Coatl or Uro. Incidental Goyfs and Mandrills are irrelevant. Immune to Decay, Push, and Dismember.

You can curve it out turn 2 with Noble Hierarch. With exalted, it can 1-shot a resolved Oko.

It has some other interesting format interactions. For example, he smashes through a resolved Griselbrand for 4-6, so the opponent can't afford to greedily -14 with the 7/7 on defense. That threat could buy enough tempo to dig into Karakas. Crusader also can't be blocked by Marit Lage (or chumped by Hexmage).
    I've seen a lot of players try Mirran Crusader this spring but for some reason it never seems to stay in the decks. Right now I think it's because arcanist and bolts in RUG Delver, being the seemingly best deck right now, make it very poorly positioned.

Nov 2012
    The Bluegrass

Here’s my current list. It’s heavy on the combo hate because of TES and Show & Tell in my meta.

1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Mother of Runes
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Questing Beast
    1 Hexdrinker
    1 Knight of Autumn
    3 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Savannah
    2 Forest
    2 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Scryb Ranger

SIDEBOARD
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Deafening Silence
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Nissa, Vital Force
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Shifting Ceratops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I don't get to play much Legacy, but I ran this last week actually: 5-0 list by Dreadnaught33.

2 Birds of Paradise1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Klothys, God of Destiny
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Questing Beast
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Skyclave Apparition
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Lightning Bolt

4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Sylvan Library

1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    1 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Deafening Silence
    1 Fiery Justice
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Knight of Autumn
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast

The deck ran pretty well and certainly no one expected Bolts, in fact, every opponent explicitly said it out loud! I changed a couple cards, the only one that mattered was putting one Ethersworn Canonist in place of a Silence.

Round 1, I beat UR Prowess in three. Game 1, I kept a marginal 7, fail to draw any lands, get my mana dork killed and lose by the time I could cast anything relevent. Game 2, I get a timely Bolt though on a Swiftspeak allowing me to make an Ooze and Wasteland pinning him on a Basic Mountain. From there it was close but I draw lands and cast things and he doesn't. Game 3, another timely couple removal spells gives me time to double Wasteland, he gets stuck on a Islet, which just can't keep up as I cast bodies.

Round 2, I beat BUGw Food Chain in three. I get super lucky game 1, which takes forever, as he assembles Food Chain plus double Griffin and Scourge. I have nothing to really stop him, but he had to burn a Ballista early to clear my board, so eventually I make a Knight, then Klothys and get a Wasteland for the Karakas that was holding back my Thalia and Beast. Then I make more Knights and I beat through the recurring blockers while I sweat every one of his topdecks, but finally get there. Game 2, I have a reasonable hand but one Decay and he Food Chains me on turn 3. Game 3 I get a timely Wasteland, his mana gets awkward and he finds Food Chain, but can't find a payoff.

Round 3, I beat Death and Taxes in three. Game 1 I missequence things, getting out a turn 2 Oophe, when I am pretty sure I should have played Pridemage first, since there is a fair chance he might have StP. He did and I end up losing to Jitte sweeping my dorks, although maybe it didn't matter what I did really (because he could have likely killed the Pridemage before playing the Jitte). Game 2 I can't quite remember, but I think I managed to Apparition an equipment and then beat in with Knight. Game 3 I forget how Apparition works, but luckily I have StP so the Batterskull still gets dealt with, in a roundabout way.

Obviously we are into new meta territory, but I kind of like this approach, although it will remain to be seen if the Red splash it really worth it. But I luckily audibled to this at the last moment, having not played in a while and that is something I need to remember, personally, to just (when it doubt) play Dude Sweats™ because it is fairly straight forward. Also, it is just fun to beat people with a Plateau in the deck.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

The red splash from years' past did sometimes include Punishing Fires - could be worth swapping out from Lightning Bolt for the extra grind. Easy to trim some pieces for 3 Grove. You probably change the creature suite up a bit to compensate, but I think the bones are there. Especially since Strix is a card again.

-Matt

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

3 green sun’s zenith
    4 swords to plowshares
    3 chain of smog

3 Esper sentinel
    1 birds of paradise
    1 ignoble hierarch
    2 noble hierarch
    2 endurance
    2 knight of the reliquary
    3 fiend artisan
    3 Thalia, guardian of thraben
    2 witherbloom apprentice
    1 heartwood storyteller
    1 grist, the hunger tide
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 palace jailer
    1 questing beast
    1 ramunap excavator
    1 Outland liberator
    1 scryb ranger
    1 collector ouphe

4 wasteland
    4 savannah
    1 scrubland
    1 bayou
    4 windswept heath
    1 marsh flats
    1 verdant catacombs
    1 dryad arbor
    2 forest
    1 plains
    1 karakas
    1 horizon canopy

Sideboard

2 force of vigor
    1 opposition agent
    2 thoughtseize
    2 deafening silence
    2 surgical extraction
    2 path to exile
    1 knight of autumn
    1 sanctum prelate
    1 plague engineer
    1 Thalia and the gitrog monster

I do wish I had a main decked plague engineer probably over an endurance. Sanctum prelate could probably be lost from the board as it ended up being amazing when it needed to be but was very meh otherwise. Heartwood storyteller worked out better then I hoped. Not really sure what else to say about my list. I feel like the smog combo is better then a stoneforge package simply by creating an opportunity to win on a different axis. I think it becomes the future of the deck. I also think undermountain adventurer may be a better choice over the jailer. There were times when I felt very mana intensive.
    Last edited by Weapon X; 05-22-2023 at 01:39 PM.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    1 questions beast
    What is this creature?
    Does it have vigilance or deathtouch?
    Is it affected by summoning sickness?
    Can it be blocked by a Grizzly Bears?
    Can its combat damage be prevented with Fog?
    How many abilities does it have?

Thread Information