Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Nov 2017
    Los Angeles

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    Can I ask what you would consider cutting for Lingering Souls? I can't think of a situation where I'd rather see a coupla spirit tokens over ______ Maverick card, at least in the main deck. I should mention that I have no imagination when it comes to MTG cards so you should try it and see what happens.
    I really don't know. Maybe SB for a grindier matchup? An Esper Deathblade player suggested it, and even though Maverick and Deathblade are different decks, I wondered if there was any merit to the suggestion. I've played a lot of Abzan in Modern so maybe I have some bias to the card, haha.

I guess the question is really how necessary it is. Scryb Ranger is already a decent flyer for us to stick an equipment on, which would be the main use for it imho.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Hey guys, shameless plug: the podcast I'm a member of just did an episode on Knight of the Reliquary and, by extension, Maverick. Give it a listen if podcasts are your thing. None of us are experts, so you guys might disagree with some of our points, but it was fun to spend 90 minutes chatting about Knight decks.

I posted it in Format & Article Discussion, but it's also on our website!

Is there really anything we can do about Omnitell when they open well? I played against it at locals today and got 2-0'd since they had Show and Tell + Omniscience and a threat both games by turn 2-3 which is pretty godly (last time I played against the deck a few months ago they opened meh both games and the games took long enough for me to at least get a foothold).

I feel like even post-sideboard all I could really do was hope they didn't open great and kill me too fast.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by SellaNona View Post
    Is there really anything we can do about Omnitell when they open well? I played against it at locals today and got 2-0'd since they had Show and Tell + Omniscience and a threat both games by turn 2-3 which is pretty godly (last time I played against the deck a few months ago they opened meh both games and the games took long enough for me to at least get a foothold).

I feel like even post-sideboard all I could really do was hope they didn't open great and kill me too fast.
    In g1 Thalia, in play or being put into play by the Show and Tell, forces them to have Emrakul, if they are tapped out and don't have Emrakul you can untap and GSZ for Qasali to blow it up safely. If they have [edited, Omni into] Emrakul you need an active knight and a Qasali in play or hand to show in, blow up Omniscience with and tutor for Karakas, bouncing it. Thalia in addition to k+q stops any cunning wish-interaction. Of course this can be hard to set up by turn 2-3. Wasteland + Thalia can potentially slow them down. [edit: and like qpt-qc says, they can of course show in Emrakul directly, maybe it should be assumed on t2 of a game. You asked what you could do vs Show into Omni, my interpretation, but what you should do is a bit of a separate discussion, and it may depend on if you know what you are up against]

In g2, Ethersworn Canonist kept in hand forces them to pass the turn after S&T, but they get to Fow your response so you need Thalia too. Thoughtseize or REB are very valuable too, for interaction from turn one. Reclamation Sage, sometimes boarded, can work like Qasali above, coupled with knight it can stop Emrakul and coupled with Thalia it can stop Release the Ants.

Edit: and like qpt-qc said Sanctum Prelate from the board stops a lot at three
    Last edited by pettdan; 12-02-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Not really no, it's one of our worst MU. Best you can hope for is T1 thoughtseize + Surgical, T2 thalia (and it's not countered). I've had games where I had Teeg, Thalia + Canonist in play but that still does nothing to Sneak Attack being cheated into play.

We don't have many tools to shut down SnT-> Omniscience or SnT->Sneak. If your opponent is dumb and SnT->Emmy, you can bring in KoTr and find karakas but even SnT->Grisel means you're done for since they'll inevitably draw into another threat.

I prefer choosing KoTr to a hatebear when they go off but if you have time to cast stuff Prelate helps a lot. It still isn't a great mu but it brings it closer to 40/60.

Another random tip that rarely comes up - If you have enchantment destruction when they Show and Tell you can put in a stoneforge (or some other enter play trigger) to play around Omni -> Emrakul because the enters play trigger will make it so they don't have priority and an empty stack after Show and Tell resolves. This of course loses if they just put in the emrakul but if you have nothing else going on you can try that line. I still board out my stoneforge package 9/10 times though, bringing in Surgicals, Canonists, Revokers, and Golgari Charm.

Guess It's an extra hard matchup for me since I'm on punishing Maverick and don't have much in the way of mana tax/hand disruption :/

I've been getting super unlucky when it comes to matches, I always get paired with combo for some reason.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Guess It's an extra hard matchup for me since I'm on punishing Maverick and don't have much in the way of mana tax/hand disruption :/

I've been getting super unlucky when it comes to matches, I always get paired with combo for some reason.
    Putting in Canonist off S&T and then REB-ing is an option, but hard to mulligan into both. Both cards are relevant by themselves though. Edit: but of course that doesn't help against Show and Tell into Emrakul, better off rebbing the S&T probably.

When I played aganist SnT at the Team Open, I only won one game because I was able to bounce back griselbrand from putting in karakas.
    It is 100% the worst matchup for Punishing Maverick. The speed that they have, the threats that they put down, we just can't deal. If there was a revoker that you could green sun. I think it would help out a bit.

The best way to combat that deck is ALWAYS assume that they have the SnT+ Omni. THeres not much you can do game 1. But G2/G3 you have Crop rate, REB, Canonist, Sigarda. In this matchup, I will say that Thalia will be better than canonist 9/10 of the time. The reason why I'm not running Thalia was because I focused more on gaining more win percentages on the 50/50 matchups (Burn, Eldrazi, etc).

TLDR: SnT is our worse match-up. Don't focus too much on this matchup trying to beat it, unless your meta is combo heavy, in which case change SB accordingly.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

IMO, SneakShow *without* Omni is pretty weak to both Mav and D&T; I'd consider it a great MU. But yeah, with Omni it's a whole bag. Fact is, Omni is tech specifically to shit on non-blue countermeasures.

The REBs seem like a good idea; but honestly I wouldn't fret it too much. These players are trading win percentages against Blue decks for win percentages against D&T and Mav; I imagine natural selection weeds them out specifically for choosing a plan that is optimal against a smaller chunk of the field. It's perfectly fine to lose to a deck that has a decent chunk of it's strategy tailored to fight yours. You may say "it's only 3-4 cards though!", but I'd point out that running 3 Zealous Persecutions maindeck will screw up a specific subset of the field quite badly, while losing you games against Goyf decks. It's the same thing, just very different cards/interactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

True. I guess I just have to start hoping that I actually get matched against Blue decks for once, or at least fairer matchups. There aren't too many combo players (I think there are only 2 or so omnitell players) but somehow I always end up paired against em round 1 :/

Hey guys- How do you all feel about maelstrom pulse in the board as more help getting rid of Jace and other annoying permanents? I've run into some red prison decks with multiple bridges and blood moons, etc. and it seems like it would be good there too. Obviously, being able to get countered sucks though. Is Council's Judgement just better? Any other cards to consider? I'm primarily on dark maverick but also have punishing, so cards in either/both decks are welcomed.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    Hey guys- How do you all feel about maelstrom pulse in the board as more help getting rid of Jace and other annoying permanents? I've run into some red prison decks with multiple bridges and blood moons, etc. and it seems like it would be good there too. Obviously, being able to get countered sucks though. Is Council's Judgement just better? Any other cards to consider? I'm primarily on dark maverick but also have punishing, so cards in either/both decks are welcomed.
    Megadeus is probably the only one who'd agree with me, but I'd consider Vindicate if you're looking at 3-mana sorceries. Mav already targets your mana base with fetchable wastelands, Thalias, and potentially Ranumap. Having a Vindi handy to pop the basic they got out seems ok. I know the DGA guys will often run 1-2 of 'em just to get the occasional manascrew on an opponent.

If you're trying to specifically get Blood Moon or Bridges, Decay seems a safer bet since it's faster, instant speed, and more useful against the field in the general case, but there's nothing wrong with Pulse outside of the obvious. For Jace I think I'd rather have Bitterblossom or Lingering Souls lying around, but for everything else I'd look to a card that is more specific and better mana cost/card type.

Side Note: how many QPM are you running? Is Jace the main reason you wouldn't just up the number of QPM? QPM is less weak to counterspells (creature counters are uncommon by comparison to non-creature, and costing 2 leaves you less open to daze) while QPM also ups the threat-density of the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also pulse killing moon seems unlikely since you probably don't have a basic swamp. Decay is better because you can float mana. The best answer to moon is fetching a basic forest and using green Sun to find pride mage. As for Jace it sucks. I ran To the Slaughter in my GB Eldrazi deck and it was great for nugging a walker or marit Lage
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    Pulse is probably last permanent resolver which I would bring in. As metion before Vindicate is much better since it also hit lands, which can give edge if your tax plan goes good. In my opinion best catch all answer is Council's Judgement since it also hit shroud/hexproof/TNN things. Anyway I don't think Maverick require this kind of spells, since cmc = 3 is too much in legacy to do 1 for 1, specially with Thalia in play. So I would rather use cheaper and more specialized tools like Ancient Grudge if you running r splash or Golgari Charm.

If you have problems with walkers better try some haste green creatures with trample/qasi trample, which can also stay on battlefield after. From my research best here are Timbermare since It can also attack over any wall (like TNN) or tokens, or even big thread like Angler. But it's still very narrow and can be dead card, sidenote works perfect with Scryb Ranger, if opponent "hold fort" with TNN / tokens just GSZ for Timbermare and then untap Knight for lethal.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm a fan of Captain tickles as a hasty green Sun target. Giant Solifuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Top 4'd local legacy monthly yesterday (with some kind breakers).

My takeaway - Tireless tracker is too slow. I added it to the sideboard as a card advantage engine but it's just not good enough. I think Ramunap Excavator probably generates more raw cards and with a wasteland/horizon canopy or dryad arbour opens a lot of options for defensive play.

Thalia, Heretic cathar did a lot of work. Was put in to slow down greedy mana decks (4c/delever) but the splash damage against haste creatures from dredge and sneak attack as well as dominating most fair combats has put this card firmly into my 75 for a while.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Nov 2017
    Los Angeles

So I changed my deck up a bit this week for my local and went 2-2. Feels pretty good since I've been playing pretty miserably with this great deck for a few weeks.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mother of Runes
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Council's Judgement
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Abrupt Decay

I beat Nic Fit and Storm, and I lost to Eldrazi and Taxes and Colorless 12-Post. One of the funnier interactions was against Storm. I had a Deathrite Shaman and a Gaddock Teeg on board. I played a Stoneforge Mystic looking for a Sofi and had a Scrubland up. My opponent bounced my Teeg. On his turn he Ad Nauseum'ed down to 1. I went to activate the DRS, and he scooped. After the game, he said he hadn't played Storm in a while and completely overlooked the Shaman.

Question about planeswalkers

I noticed I see less Garruk Relentless and more Gideon AoZ, Any specific reason? When do I want the one over the Other. I’m currently on a stock Leovold Maverick List, I feel it’s better positioned in my Local meta of Lands Stoneblade and Linear Combo Decks

Thread Information