Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by Yutao View Post
    How essential are you finding cradle to be? Not sure if I want to go drop another $300 on a cradle.
    You usually either play Cradle or the DD combo so that you don't screw up your manabase too much. Right now I think DD is stronger because Grixis and non-white decks are in full swing and they have no way to deal with lage.

So to answer your question, it's not essential right now but there might come a meta in which it is. Or such meta might never come at all, who knows. All I know is I have mine and it was very good at times.

Mar 2016
    Austria

Hy guys, new Maverick Player here.

I've started playtesting the 4c Leovold Build three weeks ago but would like to move to a more traditional GWb list. The Primer has been a very good read so far but i've still got a question:

I want to play as few colours as possible, because i'm a fan of simple Manabases with basic lands, so how viable is a build with only 1 Bayou for 4 DRS and 1-2 Decays in the board?
    Are the Discard spells necessary against dedicated Combo decks like S&S or is the combo of Wasteland + Hatebears enough?

Is anyone running a straight GW build atm and has some kind of experience to share with me?

Greetings

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Tempel View Post
    I want to play as few colours as possible, because i'm a fan of simple Manabases with basic lands, so how viable is a build with only 1 Bayou for 4 DRS and 1-2 Decays in the board?
    Are the Discard spells necessary against dedicated Combo decks like S&S or is the combo of Wasteland + Hatebears enough?
    Playing 1 Bayou and 1 Scrubland has been fine for me and I think that's a pretty normal configuration. Edit: I thought your question was 1 vs 2 Bayous, but if you are asking if you can exclude Scrubland that will be a problem for you at times, starting with a forest, fetch and decay for example. But you can, of course, exclude it.

Discard is very good vs combo decks since you otherwise can't interact with them on t1, being on the draw t2 interaction is quite slow.

Edit: very welcome btw! :)

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

i like the idea of another "best creature" but i dont think Tireless Tracker is a replacement for Knight.
    Tracker is as fragile as Knight is.
    knight can maybe survive a bolt with 2 lands in GY where Tracker will die to P.Fire as well, etc. etc.

also does tracker not solve our problem with Nemesis, Strix, etc.

we would need a 3 drop creature kinda like Thrun, the Last Troll / Mirran Crusader with other spicy effects....*christmasland*

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Tempel View Post
    Hy guys, new Maverick Player here.

I've started playtesting the 4c Leovold Build three weeks ago but would like to move to a more traditional GWb list. The Primer has been a very good read so far but i've still got a question:

Is anyone running a straight GW build atm and has some kind of experience to share with me?

Greetings
    The T1 interaction might be replaced by Orims Chant, but the Discard is definitely more versatile and proactive, the only upside of the Chant is the Blowout potential.

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

I'm also experimenting with Maverick, using a 4C list with Leovold but I'm thinking about just going to 3 colour or GWB.
    what's everyone running instead of Leovold in that color combo?
    Play All The Decks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwathnar View Post
    I'm also experimenting with Maverick, using a 4C list with Leovold but I'm thinking about just going to 3 colour or GWB.
    what's everyone running instead of Leovold in that color combo?
    I'm not on the Leovold train and will run any of the following in GWb:

• Courser of Kruphix;
    • Tireless Tracker;
    • Renegade Rallier; or,
    • Ramunap Excavator

Which of these I choose depends on other deck building choices and influences other inclusions down the line. For instance, I like Courser when I'm running Sylvan Library in the main. I like Tireless Tracker when running Gaea's Cradle instead of my usual DD+Stage. If I'm running Cradle, I'm more inclined to lean on the mana-intensive plan B of SFM+equipment. Etc.

I run Garruk in the main for that extra sass too, but my local meta is small, grindy, and mostly fair. Others have discussed bad Larrys like Thrun and Sigarda.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    • Courser of Kruphix;
    • Tireless Tracker;
    • Renegade Rallier; or,
    • Ramunap Excavator
    Big Thalia has been a great 3 drop for me. She's very aggressive and very hard to play around (though obviously has the downsides of being legendary and not GSZ-able).

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    I'm not on the Leovold train and will run any of the following in GWb:

• Courser of Kruphix;
    • Tireless Tracker;
    • Renegade Rallier; or,
    • Ramunap Excavator

Which of these I choose depends on other deck building choices and influences other inclusions down the line. For instance, I like Courser when I'm running Sylvan Library in the main. I like Tireless Tracker when running Gaea's Cradle instead of my usual DD+Stage. If I'm running Cradle, I'm more inclined to lean on the mana-intensive plan B of SFM+equipment. Etc.

I run Garruk in the main for that extra sass too, but my local meta is small, grindy, and mostly fair. Others have discussed bad Larrys like Thrun and Sigarda.
    Thanks!

I've got everything but Courser of Kruphix in there already.
    I might try Garruk or Thrun - Thrun could be good since there's a lot of blue in my meta.
    Play All The Decks!

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
    i like the idea of another "best creature" but i dont think Tireless Tracker is a replacement for Knight.
    knight can maybe survive a bolt with 2 lands in GY where Tracker will die to P.Fire as well, etc. etc.

we would need a 3 drop creature kinda like Thrun, the Last Troll / Mirran Crusader with other spicy effects....*christmasland*
    Tireless Tacker does not help with Nemesis, but does help against the decks that Nemesis is played in as he can help combat 1 for 1 removal and get us to the cards that can combat the stupid fish.

The comparisons of Tracker vs Knight are valid, but the advantage tracker shares is the access to the Crop Rotation toolbox much sooner than Knight. Earlier, instant speed access to the land toolbox is nothing to scoff at...(including the combo in certain matchups) especially when crop rotation allows you to draw 2 with a tracker out.

Tracker might not be the 1 to 1 replacement to knight that people are looking for, but a version might exist.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Big Thalia has been a great 3 drop for me. She's very aggressive and very hard to play around (though obviously has the downsides of being legendary and not GSZ-able).
    For whatever reason I focused on green critters. I also love THC and have included her since she was released. I split 3/1 OG Thalia/THC.

I also run Mindcensor in the main, but that is, again, knowing what I will expect week to week at the local.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Skizz View Post

Can play actual Troll Ascetic I suppose? Also Still Moon Cavalier cant die to STP, Push, can infinitely block marit lage or griselbrand, and jumps over TNN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Sorry for double post, but Tracker does open up a possiblity of a "Maverick Stompy" type deck. Nedleeds used to play a pretty sweet list with chalice, sol lands, stoneforge stuff like that. Tracker is easier to cast in that shell and turn 1 Chrome Mox Sol land is T1 Tracker or Thalia HTC which is a fisting. Also fast mana turns on the equipment package much quicker. You can still run some number of KOTR and such as well. That's what the odyssey egg lands or whatever do for you with a Tomb out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Still Moon Cavalier
    awwwwwww yissss

Hello everyone! New user here but played Maverick for a year or so!

What I like with Maverick you can always tune it, iterate and see what works, plus nice to not play blue, feeling like the underdog, hehe

Really like the DD combo despite in the beginning it could screw me over. The ability to win the game in a stall is too good too pass upon

New additions - cradle, gq, loam, cobra and voice
    Removed - TT, maze, 3rd mom and batterskull

TT seldom did enough, never zenith for it either. and a user posted about voice which could be interesting to try out. My biggest problem is 4cc with k-command being backbreaking. Therefore I also removed batterskull

I think it's correct to remove the 3rd mom, as they tend to be removed as they etb while Sylvan can protect directly, thoughts about adding a 2nd Sylvan?

Ever since ramunap got printed I've played with it, and one copy is the best imo. Recently added gq to be able to remove basics when some ppl play around waste.

Have people played with loam recently to give some more insight? Not sure about it.

Also what are people's opinions playing with teeg in sb only?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zasse View Post
    Hello everyone! New user here but played Maverick for a year or so!

What I like with Maverick you can always tune it, iterate and see what works, plus nice to not play blue, feeling like the underdog, hehe

Really like the DD combo despite in the beginning it could screw me over. The ability to win the game in a stall is too good too pass upon

New additions - cradle, gq, loam, cobra and voice
    Removed - TT, maze, 3rd mom and batterskull

TT seldom did enough, never zenith for it either. and a user posted about voice which could be interesting to try out. My biggest problem is 4cc with k-command being backbreaking. Therefore I also removed batterskull

I think it's correct to remove the 3rd mom, as they tend to be removed as they etb while Sylvan can protect directly, thoughts about adding a 2nd Sylvan?

Ever since ramunap got printed I've played with it, and one copy is the best imo. Recently added gq to be able to remove basics when some ppl play around waste.

Have people played with loam recently to give some more insight? Not sure about it.

Also what are people's opinions playing with teeg in sb only?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Welcome bruv. Playing blue is for dorks who identify with Jace and think they're smarter than you. Fuck Jace.

I prefer Teeg in the main because it gives us an out to traditionally bad match ups (Storm, Elves, etc). Stealing game one against those decks is helpful to say the least.

He ticks a number of boxes for me: tutorable, impacts important match ups, has reasonable enough stats that he can get his kithkin shillelagh dirty if need be (bonus points if you're beating down with exalted triggers), and the downside of running him in match ups where he doesn't matter is mitigated by the fact that you're only running one copy. Having one copy you are unlikely to draw in matches that don't care about Teeg, but five copies (six after sideboard) in the matches that do, is a reasonable hedge to me.

Loam is cool. I gave some sideboard slots to it in the past before Ramunap Excavator, which is a card I think it competes with. I think both are cards that are best when you are significantly far ahead of your opponent so I'm not too hot on either currently.

Is there like a token generator that's GSZithable? My meta's been a ton of grindy stoneblade and piles recently and I'm starting to consider sword of body and mind.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Yutao View Post
    Is there like a token generator that's GSZithable? My meta's been a ton of grindy stoneblade and piles recently and I'm starting to consider sword of body and mind.
    Imperious Perfect was always my jam when I wanted to go wide; does great with Scryb Ranger, and lets your DRS attack for 2, still dies to spot removal before untap which sucks.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Also technically Titania Protector of Argoth, Huntmaster of the Fells and voice of resurgence, although I doubt this is what you're looking for.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

There's also Pride Sovereign which works well with Scryb Ranger. I didn't try it yet, I have usually been playing Titania which is great for pushing through in such grindy matchups, and I've sometimes played Bitterblossom but not too much results with it, maybe because it's not GSZ-able..

Thread Information