Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by Yutao View Post
    Things.
    Grats on the 3-1 and sorry you could't seal the 4-0 against Stompy. Confluence randomly ends games all the time.

Questions: How was the blue mini-splash and Leovold?

How did SFM perform? She i son the chopping block for me at this time...:/
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Grats on the 3-1 and sorry you could't seal the 4-0 against Stompy. Confluence randomly ends games all the time.

Questions: How was the blue mini-splash and Leovold?

How did SFM perform? She i son the chopping block for me at this time...:/
    Leo was quite good as a significant hate bear. He ended up netting me a few cards in the mirror and locking the delver player out from playing magic.

SFM was great against U/W stoneblade. being able to grab SoFi against them is prime. Being able to go t1 dork, t2 wasteland + powerful two drop is the dream curve and SFM complements Thalia well. That being said, I feel that two is the correct number. The card is quite a liability against 4c control and almost every deck packs artifact hate in the SB.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I guess SFM is good in the fair matchups... I just am not happy about it.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Maverick mirrors:
    - Side out Thalia - it's not worth. Looks like your opponent didn't know that.

SFM vs today meta:
    - it's not great vs Czech Pile since SFM require quite a lot mana investment (2 mana to cast, 2 to put equip, 2 for equip) so it's 6 mana total (big tempo lost) vs 3 mana for K.Command. Best way to deal with it is to force opponent to use it as shock + discard worst card - your luck if you can negate it by punishing fire, so it bacame 3 mana shock. To achive it you must keep in check his graveyard which isn't easy.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

If you really want to punish K. Command just run a couple of Wilt-Leaf Leige. Takes most of your dudes out of 2 damage range, can’t be decayed/bolted, loves to be discarded and isn’t an artifact! Only downside is that it can stil be pushed(when revolted)...

Liege or Smiter might not be a horrible idea. Hymn, LOTV, K-Command get a whole lot worse when you can get a free 4/4.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Probably a good sideboard option if you have a ton of Czech or just K-Command and Lilliana everywhere.

I just did a ton of testing against the miracles deck.... still miserable especially with back to basics.

Additionally, I am switching back from the Depths combo to Gaea’s Cradle + Maze of Ith. I am super not impressed with the combo and love the velocity that cradle and maze give.

I still have 1 flex slot in the main that I don’t know what do do with though...
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 03-24-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Has anyone considered Lingering Souls as a way to outgrind 4c control or miracles?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I like idea of Wilt-Leaf Liege it should help a lot.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    I like idea of Wilt-Leaf Liege it should help a lot.
    He is good in all fair matchups as he also helps the general beat down plan of the deck.... and pridemages attacking for 5.

I have 1 flex slot remaining and have no idea what to put in it.... anyone have random 1 of secret tech?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    He is good in all fair matchups as he also helps the general beat down plan of the deck.... and pridemages attacking for 5.

I have 1 flex slot remaining and have no idea what to put in it.... anyone have random 1 of secret tech?
    What is your biggest fear, then find card which they can't really beat, and here you have your tech.

Nov 2013
    Cornfield, Iowa, USA

Here’s my report from this weekend, I think it’s the first time I’ve posted in the maverick thread, but it won’t be the last.

Saturday was team trios, I got to be the legacy player on the team, which is good because I don’t play the other two formats. I’m the local nic fit guy, however for the past couple of months I’ve moved to maverick for a bit more consistency and I’ve kinda developed a crush on my girl Knight of the Reliquary. Sadly weather caused the tournament be a bit small, so there were only 13 teams I believe, but enough small talk, here’s the report.

Match 1: Burn
    We sit down and my opponent and I chat a bit, real nice guy. Turns out he’s on burn though, and the turn 1 goblin guide against my mulligan to 5 made me think the day might not be so fun. I don’t draw any fetches, just a couple duals and the combination of guides, Swift Spears and a flurry of burn spells makes quick work of game 1. Off t a rough start.

Game 2 I’m on he play and open with shaman, turn 2 shaman + mom, turn 3 Thalia + stoneforge for jitte. Somehow thru all this he gets me to 1 life and I’m sweating, however jitte is a decent magic card and I get there, thanks to some key land draws on his part.

Game 3 is basically a repeat of game 2, he gets me to 1 again, but I stabilize with a jitte’d up Thalia and a deathrite, while he gets unlucky and draws an extra land or 3. Better lucky hsn good I always say, and I’m 1-0, along with my team.

1-0

Match 2: Alex on ANT or why play too many turns of magic.
    I’m on the draw game 1, he’s got a semi-slow start in hat I don’t die turn 1. I lead fetch into deathrite, and turn 2 gsz for teeg. Onto game 2.

Game 2 my man mulls to 6 and makes 16 gobbos turn 1, I’m glad I sided in zealous persecution, I’m not glad the top of my deck didn’t have it though.

Game 3 is pretty good, I get a shaman, a Thalia with a sofai, and a Leo in play. I get him to 3 and end of turn he chain of vapors my sword, and also my Thalia, draws abrupt decay, goes off. Thankfully my teammates finished beforehand both winning their matches and we get the victory.

2-0

Match 3: Arturo on 4C Loam, rematch
    My lgs has recently got in the streaming game, and a few weeks ago Arty and I played on camera and he made me wish I never played magic. Today was our rematch, the battle of the very fair decks, team no blue.
    Game 1 started out with a lot of wastelands, all 3 of his abrupt decays, including one on an excavator that I’m pretty sure would have won the game by itself. Once the dust settled, I had 2 knights and a mom to his scavenging ooze and Liliana of the veil. Ooze does its best to keep the ladies in check, and mom sacrifices her self for the greater good and the big knights kill in 2 big swings.

Game 2 is a perfect example of why mulligans are good. I keep a realllll suspect hand of fetch, arbor, deathrite, mother, stoneforge, swords to plowshares. I lead fetch into scrubland for deathrite which gets bolted off Mox and wasted. I draw a surgical and get his wasteland in the upkeep which also got 2 in his hand, so that’s a win right? No, I don’t draw another land and dryad arbor just can’t compete with a knight and a confidant.

Game 3 goes well, I get out early with multiple deathrites and the first knight. This matchup seems very knight dependent and my shamans keep his knights small, while a series of above average draws end up going the distance. I got my revenge, we played some fun magic, it’s a good day because my teammates are also winning.

3-0

Match 4: Grixis delver
    Of course we can’t get thru a tournament without he boogeyman once. I don’t remember game 1 very well, but I’m pretty sure I won.

Game 2 I don’t get as lucky, I stumble, a timely daze is good, and true name is tough.

Game 3 was my favorite of the day. Starts out okay for me, I have a sideboard choke in my hand, trying to figure out a good place to get it down, but can’t get to the 4 mana I needed due to Thalia. I also have a zealous persecution in hand, but no black mana, and my deathrite has no food to cast it, and my opponent has a flipped delver. The turning point of the match is when my opponent plays a true name into a gurmag with 1 card in hand with a deathrite in play as well. I topdeck a bayou, slam the persecution, kill the true name, now all I have to deal with is gurmag and delver. This is where I’m able to land the choke, locking down 4 islands. I have a dryad arbor, Thalia, and deathrite in play, along with a library that I’ve paid some life for, putting me a little low, and a zenith in hand. He swings with the bug and the fish, I block with Thalia, dropping to 11. My plan now is to zenith for scryb ranger, so I can block and return arbor indefinitely to draw out of it, as at this points he has every island in his deck locked down and no lands in graveyards. The magic gods see my plan and just put ranger on top of my deck. I draw and play it, return a forest to untapped arbor and zenith for tracker. This is what’s known as a combo, and he concedes knowing that eventually my tracker will get big enough to abyss him every turn.

My team is 4-0 at this point, we draw last round, and we all decide to split the prizes in the end. Pretty anticlimactic, but it was a good day and I won $80 doing what I enjoy, not playing much blue in legacy.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn The Jesus View Post
    Here’s my report from this weekend, I think it’s the first time I’ve posted in the maverick thread, but it won’t be the last.

[...]
    My team is 4-0 at this point, we draw last round, and we all decide to split the prizes in the end. Pretty anticlimactic, but it was a good day and I won $80 doing what I enjoy, not playing much blue in legacy.
    Good to hear that i works to full report post a list and SB plans on each match (if you can remember how you sided). I'm guessing you played Leo build.

Nov 2013
    Cornfield, Iowa, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Good to hear that i works to full report post a list and SB plans on each match (if you can remember how you sided). I'm guessing you played Leo build.
    Maverick

Creatures:
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Birds of Paradise

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg

3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

Instants/Sorceries:
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay

Artifacts/Enchantments:
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sylvan Library

Lands:
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland

SIDEBOARD:
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    2 Surgical Extraction

I’m still always changing up my boarding plan, but I’ll try to remember how I did it.

Burn:
    In: + 1 Reclamation Sage, 2 Ethersworn Canonist;
    Out: - 1 Ramunap Excavator, 1 Tireless Tracker, 1 Sylvan Library
    Sage for eidolon mostly, as well as the enchantment that’s name is escaping me, and Canonist just because they’re 2 drops that have the possibility of blocking/forcing only one spell a turn, taking out a few grindy cards.

Storm
    In: +2 surgical extraction, 3 thoughtseize,2 Canonist, 1 zealous persecution, 1 bojuka bog;
    Out: -4 swords to plowshares, 1 Tireless tracker, 2 abrupt decay, 1 Ramunap Excavator, 1 karakas
    I think this is all self explanatory, combo hate in, do nothing/grindy stuff out

4c loam
    In: +1 Gideon, ally of zendikar, 2 surgical extraction, 1 bojuka bog;
    Out: -2 Thalia, Guardian of thraben, -1 gaddock teeg, -1 qasali pridemage,
    Gideon because why not, other stuff for punishing fire/loam, taking out gaddock teeg because he doesn’t do anything and same for pridemage, Thalia because I’m bringing in 3 noncreature spells

Grixis delver
    In: +2 Zealous persecution, 2 Choke, 1 elspeth Knight-errant
    Out: -2 stoneforge mystic, 1 qasali pridemage, 1 gaddock teeg, 1 umezawa’s jitte
    Persecution is my only way to kill TNN, and it’s also decent against elementals. Choke is pretty good against islands, elspeth because I want to live the dream of jumping a huge knight over it all. I take out stoneforge because honestly I’m down on her these days, and kommand just feels bad, pridemage has no targets, I assume he takes out force so teeg only hurts my gsz, and jitte doesn’t do much when tnn is on the other side,

My boarding might be not perfect, but my reasoning makes sense in my head for the most part. I’d definitely enjoy hearing any tips or tricks you all have.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I am 4-2 heading into the last 2 weeks of my legacy league. This is my list for my push to the top 8 as there is still a chance that I could make it... most likely I will win out and take 9th...

Land (24)
    1x Bayou
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Dryad Arbor
    2x Forest
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath

Creature (25)
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    3x Mother of Runes
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Enchantment (1)
    1x Sylvan Library

Artifact (2)
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Instant (4)
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard (15)
    2x Abrupt Decay
    2x Blessed Alliance
    1x Choke
    2x Sanctum Prelate
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Garruk Relentless
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Zealous Persecution

I hate the miracles matchup without the batterskull, but it is a bad matchup anyway you look at it. I like the Gaea's Cradle over the DD combo as it makes Knight a much better card in closer matchups. Getting 2 activation's with the extra mana is nice but usually I am tapping out most turns to stay in the game and not giving up the tempo to try and win with the token.

The 3 SFM's are due to the Cradle and the fact that equipment superiority and access is the key to quite a few matchups and with Mom, QPM, and decay I feel like I can always win equipment wars.... that batterskull though.

The velocity from the Cradle is amazing against all decks and allows you to ramp quickly even if you have been waste landing heavily.

The sideboard is stolen from Cpt-QC as I like it and haven't had a reason to change at this point.

Maverick

3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    Hey man- I am warming up to the idea of tracker again, but it's really hard for me to even consider going down to 3 knights...ramunap fits our game plan too well to cut. I've had Leo and he's great sometimes, clunky in others. I would enjoy not having to run trop as i don't own it for one (borrow for big events, run breeding pool otherwise), and would welcome a fetch or basic forest in that spot.

Can you can talk a bit about how this configuration has gone? Thanks!

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    Hey man- I am warming up to the idea of tracker again, but it's really hard for me to even consider going down to 3 knights...ramunap fits our game plan too well to cut. I've had Leo and he's great sometimes, clunky in others. I would enjoy not having to run trop as i don't own it for one (borrow for big events, run breeding pool otherwise), and would welcome a fetch or basic forest in that spot.

I cut Knight constantly.

This allows DRS to fully feast on all lands in graveyards and gives you more slots to play with.

3 Tracker 1 Crop Rotation is a good place to start and I plan on playing a knight-less list for my next league.

That being said, if you are not planning on being as extreme as me, Knight is no longer the beast it once was. Decay/Push/TNN have all reduced the effectiveness of the big girl. I feel like GW is due for a new “best” creature soon but we don’t have a clear 100% replacement yet.

Tracker combos with both excavator and Scryb ranger to end games fast, as well as out grind any deck. It also combos with crop rotation to give us access to our utility lands faster.

It is all hypthetical but I have been working on similar builds.

Edit: updated Tracker list

Creatures(25)
    4 DRS
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

3 Tireless Tracker
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ranumap Excavator
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper

Things(11)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands(24)
    4 Verdant
    4 Heath
    4 Wasteland
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Scrubland
    1 Horizon
    1 Gaea’s Cradle
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas

Sideboard(15)
    2 Crop Rotation
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Choke
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Garruk Relentless
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 03-27-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Nov 2013
    Cornfield, Iowa, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    Hey man- I am warming up to the idea of tracker again, but it's really hard for me to even consider going down to 3 knights...
    I love knight too, and the cut of one for a tracker was a last minute thing. I was mostly trying it out because I expected a lot of fair decks at my lgs and I think the clues really help a lot more grinding that out, when knight can just be forever chumped by elemental tokens and true names. I really love excavator but I'm not certain if he's really totally where I want to be, there's not a huge difference between wasting 4 times or 5 times, at that point you're pretty far ahead and should have won, so the last knight may come in for ramunap going forward.

Take all that with a grain of salt, I'm still a pretty bad player who just has a heck of a lot of luck.

I love knight too, and the cut of one for a tracker was a last minute thing. I was mostly trying it out because I expected a lot of fair decks at my lgs and I think the clues really help a lot more grinding that out, when knight can just be forever chumped by elemental tokens and true names. I really love excavator but I'm not certain if he's really totally where I want to be, there's not a huge difference between wasting 4 times or 5 times, at that point you're pretty far ahead and should have won, so the last knight may come in for ramunap going forward.

Take all that with a grain of salt, I'm still a pretty bad player who just has a heck of a lot of luck.
    Don't forget that excavator can also produce clues at the cost of your land drop with canopy/kotr. It can also re-enable the DD combo or ramp you up for GSZ. I tried him too and tracker is really sub-par in maverick unless you have a ton of mana to pop the clues (cradle + 4 creatures).

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    Don't forget that excavator can also produce clues at the cost of your land drop with canopy/kotr. It can also re-enable the DD combo or ramp you up for GSZ. I tried him too and tracker is really sub-par in maverick unless you have a ton of mana to pop the clues (cradle + 4 creatures).
    How essential are you finding cradle to be? Not sure if I want to go drop another $300 on a cradle.

Thread Information