Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Congrats on making day 2, that's awesome! Wish I traveled more for events, but I will be at GP Seattle.

I played in a 6 round local over the weekend, decided to play Marit Lage this time as I'm usually 50/50 on her.

This won't be a super detailed tournament report as I don't take notes, I have a poor memory, and I was/am very tired. I'll try to have a better tournament report for the Grand Prix though.

Lands: 24
    1 x Dark Depths
    1 x Thespian’s Stage
    4 x Wasteland
    1 x Dryad Arbor
    1 x Horizon Canopy
    1 x Karakas
    1 x Plains
    2 x Forest
    1 x Scrubland
    1 x Bayou
    2 x Savannah
    1 x Marsh Flats
    3 x Verdant Catacombs
    4 x Windswept Heath

Creatures: 21
    1 x Noble Hierarch
    4 x Deathrite Shaman
    1 x Scryb Ranger
    1 x Scavenging Ooze
    1 x Qasali Pridemage
    1 x Gaddock Teeg
    4 x Knight of the Reliquary
    3 x Mother of Runes
    3 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 x Stoneforge Mystic

Spells: 15
    4 x Swords to Plowshares
    2 x Abrupt Decay
    3 x Thoughtseize
    4 x Green Sun’s Zenith
    1 x Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 x Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard:
    2 x Choke
    1 x Tireless Tracker
    1 x Gaddock Teeg
    2 x Ethersworn Canonist
    1 x Containment Priest
    1 x Blessed Alliance
    1 x Toxic Deluge
    1 x Golgari Charm
    2 x Zealous Persecution
    3 x Surgical Extraction

Rd 1- Pile

Game 1 my opponent pushes my guy turn 1, hymns me turn 2, snap push turn 3, and I think a Jace if not turn 4 then shortly after.

Game 2 we grind eachother out and he's at 6 with a leovold in play to my tireless tracker with 1 counter, and 1 clue while I'm hellbent. I draw literally the best card for this situation - Karakas. Play it, get a clue, crack both drawing 0 cards, pick up Leovold, 6 you.

Game 3 I choke him early but he still gets off 2or3 K-Commands and we have nothing for a bit, we go to time as he has a Leovold and I have a Thalia plus a Jitte.

Draw 0-1-0 (I don't put the result before because that's spoilers :^))

Rd 2 - Infect

Both games my deck decides it wants to be Death and taxes and I have like turn 1 Karakas -> mom, some thalia's, canonists in game 2, etc. Not really any black cards or anything and I die to the classic 'tap my blighted agent some times' both games.

0-1-1

Pretty lousy start, have to win out to make top 8.

Rd 3 Nic Fit

Game 1 I play a mana dork turn and be blind Therapies Knight of the Reliquary, the fb therapy also ends up getting my Green Sun's Zeniths. However I have DRS with a jitte and it kinda just starts rolling him until he dies.

Game 2 is a grind and I end up natural thawing out Dark Depths but it's 1 turn too slow as I die to scapeshift before I can attack

Game 3 I have knight, scryb ranger and some other creatures and he deeds me for 3 and I fetch up stage and depths in response and Marit Lage does her best Barren Glory impression as deed washes over her.

1-1-1

Rd 4 Death and Taxes

Game 1 I thoughtseize him and take a stoneforge mystic, few turns later he has a bunch of mirran crusaders and thalia. I cross my fingers and make Marit Lage and she robs my opponent of the game.

Game 2 my opponent has mom, mom, mirran crusader to my mom, stoneforge but my hand is decay, golgari charm, zealous, jitte and my opponent concedes shortly after I Zealous Persecution him.

2-1-1

Rd 5 Mardu Deadguy/Midrange? w/e

Game 1 I get caught holding a fetch in the middle of the game as he bloodmoons me and I only have my plains and not my forest, I'm pretty sure I would've lost anyways though as he proceeds to play both Liliana's.

Game 2 I honestly can't remember what happened, but Marit Lage killed him.

Game 3 I have a Green Sun's Zenith, double stoneforge and some lands on the draw, I decide to keep because some of the lands do stuff like wasteland and stage. He thoughtseizes me turn 1 and takes the Zenith, I take my turn and draw dryad arbor. He hymns me turn 2 and I pray for him to not take both Mystics, flip first card -> Mystic, 2nd card ... Dryad Arbor phew, drawing you wasn't so bad I guess. Some odd turns later I end up thoughtseizing him and seeing a clunker hand like double Stoneforge himself, Vindicate, and some other clunk I can't remember (I didn't write it down because we're buds and we usually just left the known cards face up because we don't play brainstorm). I take the vindicate and end up playing knight -> Marit Lage and he doesn't get the plow.

3-1-1

Feeling really good as Marit Lage pretty much handed me my last 3 matches after starting off 0-1-1

Rd 6 Lands

Game 1 he's on the play and plays the R/G cycle land tapped. I thoughtseize him and see 4 lands, crop rotation and a molten vortex that I take, which elects a "Really, maindeck thoughtseize from Maverick". He dies not doing much this game.

Game 2 we both play patiently and just draw -> go for a bunch of turns while he has wasteland, access to Marit Lage and some other lands. I have an active knight, double wasteland and a Karakas so he can't really do anything. He plays a Sylvan Safekeeper and I think for a bit then I Golgari Charm to kill it (I brought it in because there's really not a lot to bring in this matchup and it's versatile enough). I set up more stuff like getting a SOFI equipped. At one point he stages something and I blow one wasteland and he crops it for another stage which I waste again while he's tapped out, then I end up surgical'ing his stages later. He eventually succumbs to sworded creature and knight.

4-1-1, 4th place in swiss

Quarters - Elves

I'm scared as this matchup is really hard, if I can win game 1 I'd feel really good but that's a tall order. I have turn 2 natural Gaddock Teeg followed by jitte shortly after and some plows along the way, better lucky than good as I win game 1.

Game 2 ends in a clowny way as I had ooze with a bunch of counters, Teeg, canonist, deathrite and a bunch of lands and he has like 8 dudes including quiron ranger, wirewood symbiote, deathrites etc. But his shamans cant do anything and he cant attack that well because of my ooze. I literally didn't cast another spell whole game after that I just draw -> go and he just has to watch me thaw out this Dark Depths over 5 turns and he dies as he doesn't draw the natural hoof.

Thawing out Marit Lage against elves certainly makes the list for most messed up things I've had happen in a game of magic.

Semi's - Miracles

Game one took like an hour, as apparently I was playing a control deck. I had no creatures for the first several turns and my turn 1 Thoughtseize got forced. He play a search for Azcanta which I decayed. We did some land -> go for a bit which kinda sucks as that really favours him, but I thaw a couple counters off my Dark Depths in the mean time and we both joke how I'm gonna thaw her out again. Turns pass and I get a couple creatures which both get plowed eventually after doing some damage then I drop an ooze and have enough mana to eat both those plows right away as he terminus' my ooze away. I then actually thaw out my Marit Lage and he doesn't have a plow as I exiled them from snapcasters grubby little hands, he ponders into Entreat the angels making 5. I'm holding double plow and decay and he's low enough to where the 8 life won't put him out of lage so if I can speed bump through 2 angels I win. He gets ponder into jace on the last turn and I lose, forcing my sword of fire and ice the turn before as well because I wanted to give Lage pro blue. This game was really long and grindy though and a lot else happened in the middle, he ended up hard casting 3 forces this game.

Game 2 I get jace'd out.

Was a good day, Marit Lage really proved itself to me. I've been playing it on/off pretty much since Stage + Depths has been a thing but I'm just going to have it be a permanent addition now. Before this tournament I only thaw'd out Marit Lage once in all that time, including casual games. To think I did it 3 times... what a crazy tournament.

Can't tell you how good Priest or Blessed Alliance were as I never played them.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Good news from SCG:
    http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...breakdown.html

Punishing and two Dark Maverick made day2 not sure what is punishing abzan that would've more than 5% total of day2. Question how many was in day1.

Meta is still dominating by grixis Delver and new miracles which gives more than 25% of meta.. and looks like 50% of top8. Looks like WotC will do some banning soon.
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck..._name&limit=50
    So timmyod17 and TheDiscoPower day 2'd with GWB and I day 2'd with Punishing (44th place finish).

Unfortunately all three of us played against each other of the course of the tournament :(

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Sorry for the double post - here's what I played at SCG Worcester:

Creatures (22)
    4x Mother of Runes
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    1x Dryad Arbor
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Voice of Resurgence
    4x Knight of the Reliquary

Noncreature Spells (15)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Punishing Fire
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Batterskull

Lands (23)
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    3x Savannah
    2x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    3x Wasteland
    1x Karakas
    1x Horizon Canopy

SB: 2x Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2x Crop Rotation
    SB: 2x Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2x Choke
    SB: 1x Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1x Kitchen Finks
    SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1x Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    SB: 1x Blessed Alliance

I committed the heresy of cutting Scryb Ranger from my 75 in order to move Voice of Resurgence to the main and free up a sideboard slot for another anti-nonsense card, which became the Phyrexian Revoker. I know I can be quoted in various places saying I'd never play Maverick without Scryb Ranger. Feel free to roast me, ban be from the thread, etc. The other change I made was fitting Blessed Alliance into the sideboard. TNN is very popular right now and this card also looks reasonable against random aggro and fatty decks. Didn't cast it all weekend (in fact, it ate two Thoughtseizes) so can't say how good it is. Thunderknight ran it in the Classic with my inspiration and it was good for him.

Day 1
    Round 1: Dredge (2-1)
    Round 2: Miracles (2-1)
    Round 3: Elves (2-1)
    Round 4: GWb Maverick, TheDiscoPower (0-2)
    Round 5: Eldrazi (2-0)
    Round 6: Esperblade (2-0)
    Round 7: Bant Deathblade (1-1)
    Round 8: Czech Pile (1-1)
    Round 9: Esper Miracles (2-1)

Day 2
    Round 10: Burn (1-2)
    Round 11: Lands (2-1)
    Round 12: Food Chain (2-0)
    Round 13: BUG Control (1-2)
    Round 14: GWb Maverick, timmyod17 (2-0)
    Round 15: Aggro Loam (1-2)

Final Record: 9-4-2, 44th place

I played against a mix of good matchups (Lands, Dredge, Eldrazi, Blade) and bad matchups (Elves, Burn, Miracles, Food Chain). Every sideboard card was brought in at least once over the over the weekend.

Honestly, this 75 is heinously underpowered with no Deathrite Shaman, Thalia, Scryb Ranger, or Dark Depths, and only 3 Wastelands. If you want to play a good Maverick deck, play GWb with Leovold.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post

Honestly, this 75 is heinously underpowered with no Deathrite Shaman, Thalia, Scryb Ranger, or Dark Depths, and only 3 Wastelands. If you want to play a good Maverick deck, play GWb with Leovold.
    Why not play these cards? I've personally found room for DRS, Thalia, 4 Waste, and Scryb in my punishing list and the deck has been performing great. (No dark depths however)

Hey everyone.

I have been itching to play a Maverick for a long time and I am planning on pulling the trigger and picking up a list.

This is what I am thinking of playing:

Creatures (23)
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Ramunap Excavator

Spells (11)
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Punishing Fire

Artifacts (2)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    Enchantments (1)
    1 Sylvan Library

Lands (23)
    1 Bayou
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Zealous Persecution
    2 Choke
    1 Fiery Justice
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    2 Surgical Extraction

Now to preface a bit I did throw this together without any experience playing the deck. I used a few Top 8 decks as well as some suggestions I have seen on here.

My question to the veterans of the deck is, are there any blaring problems that you see before I pull the trigger on ordering this list.

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

This is my list for SCG Worcester:

Creatures (24)
    4 DRS
    1 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mother of Runes

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze

1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest

Other Spells (13)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library

Lands (23)
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy

Sideboard
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Choke
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

Matches (with notes for selected matches)
    Rd 1 vs Death and Taxes, Win 2-0 (1-0)
    Rd 2 vs Merfolk, Win 2-0 (2-0)
    Rd 3 vs BUG Delver, Win 2-1 (3-0)
    Rd 4 vs Storm, Win 2-0 (4-0)
    Rd 5 vs Sneak and Show, Win 2-0 (5-0)
    Rd 6 vs Grixis Delver, Draw 1-1 (5-0-1)
    Played against Jonathan Rosum. Won a grindy g1 before being put on camera as the backup match for g2. He had early aggression and I was on the ropes before some timely removal and an active Jitte got me to stabilize at one life. Was about to leave him with just one permanent and close the door when I drew Garruk Relentless for my turn. The judge stopped the match, however, and said my sleeves were not sufficiently opaque for using a double sided card and gave me a game loss just as time had apparently expired. Tough way to have a win slip away like that, especially as I had been running that card in those sleeves for years without issue.
    Rd 7 vs Miracles, Win 2-0 (6-0-1)
    Rd 8 vs Grixis Delver, Win 2-0 (7-0-1)
    Rd 9 vs Maverick, Win 2-1 (8-0-1)
    ======================
    Rd 10 vs Elves, Loss 1-2 (8-1-1)
    Going into day 2, I knew I would be facing Elves since the 9-0 player was on it. Stole g1 on the draw by curving Mom into Teeg into Leovold into Jitte cast+equip. Games 2/3 I got bitten by the mulligan bug pretty badly (would be a theme on Sunday) and didn't have much action.
    Rd 11 vs Miracles, Loss 0-2 (8-2-1)
    G1 he just blindly hit a turn 5 Entreat and sometimes two flying 4/4's are enough. G2 I mulled to 5, kept 3 fetches plus Leo and Garruk and scried Thalia to the top. Not a bad 2-3-4 drop curve I thought. Unfortunately he was able to brainstorm a Terminus to the top in response to my Leovold and that was pretty much that.
    Rd 12 vs Grixis Delver, Loss 1-2 (8-3-1)
    Played against a guy from my LGS on a nontraditional build. He drew all 4 Bolts in both games he won and that really made all the difference.
    Rd 13 vs Aggro Loam, Draw 1-1-1 (8-3-2)
    Opponent played agonizingly slowly in an already grindy matchup. He refused to concede even after I had surgical'd his Punishing Fires and pretty much had him beaten after turns.
    Rd 14 vs Punishing Maverick, Loss 0-2 (8-4-2)
    Rd 15 vs 4c Pile, Win 2-1 (9-4-2)
    Excavator + Wasteland is just so good in this matchup, especially if you can kill their DRS. Decided to be a good sport and ID afterwards though, as we were both locked for top 64 if we did.

Thoughts on specific cards:
    - Leovold was a last-minute inclusion that I purchased on a whim after walking into the venue. Had never played it before, but it definitely pulled its weight. I was able to hardcast it just off lands, GSZ for it, and use mana dorks to cast it over the course of the event. He has game against almost every matchup, both fair and unfair. After just one event, I think it's correct to play one in the maindeck. It felt almost unfair when I got him on the battlefield and could protect it with a Mother or Karakas.
    - Excavator was an all star all weekend. Lost count, but I think I won at least 5 games by Wasteland locking opponents out of the game with this guy. And when I couldn't do that I still got so much value out of it.
    - Scryb Ranger always outperforms and I never understand how anyone can ever cut this card. Being able to fizzle an opponent's Wasteland, ambush a Delver, Clique, Snapcaster, or Strix, and get double DRS activations while carrying a Jitte with flying and vigilance is insane for just a single card.
    - Garruk Relentless definitely underperformed. CMC = 4 is too expensive generally to bring in vs Delver, it just dies to bolt against Pile, and even against Miracles it's been just underwhelming.
    - Sword of Light/Shadow Have been running this for the mirror, as well as D&T, Miracles, and Pile. It seems great on paper, but even if you finally connect there's just often too little value in the trigger as your GY is empty of creatures because they've all been Terminus'd or StP'd or eaten with DRS. Or it just gets stranded in your hand or blown up by K-Command.
    - Choke was a mixed bag. It felt good crushing a tapped out Miracles player with it, but most other times felt lackluster. CMC = 3 is tough to afford vs Delver, Pile has a surprising number of non-Islands, and it hits our own Tropical Island if you're running the Leo version. Probably still good enough, though.

Future thoughts - I like the maindeck pretty much exactly how it is. I think I want to go in a different direction for sideboard cards for the "fair" matchups. Considering trying out different planeswalkers in Garruk's spot. I dislike the double white cost of some (Gideon, Elspeth, and original Nahiri). Wondering if Kaya might be an option as a source of card advantage or the last few points of reach. Or Domri Rade for the punishing version. Or the newest Nissa (with the XUG casting cost) if playing the blue splash. Also considering Thrun as a non-counterable, hexproof, resilient threat. Maybe a second copy of Library, as it's insanely powerful against Pile and Miracles and I always want to draw it.

[Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

TimmyOD: would you consider running more than one Leo if the cuts were easy? In a way i feel like this shell might be better than 4CC for Leo as you can protect it with MoR. For a blue deck to find double bolt without their cantrips seems very strong.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

As much as I like Maverick, more often than not it falls just short in the end.
    IMHO it needs more aggro, mana and card draw.

It may sound like blasphemy to some but IMO this deck is better off with Noble Hierarch than DRS.
    Noble Hierarch helps in the aggro and mana department ( reliably ). They can turn Thalia and the Pridemage into real beatsticks.

Tireless Tracker has fantastic synergy with Knight of the Reliquary and can provide massive card draw, provided you have the mana for it. I think the deck needs at least a second copy, arguably even a third one, so that you don't have to rely on GSZ to get your only copy most of the time.
    Exalted + +1/+1 counters + card draw = beats + card advantage.

Another card which is too good to leave out imo is Grasping Dunes.
    This card allows Knight of the Reliquary to finish Delvers, Grim Lavamancers, Dark Confidants, Baleful Strixes, Mother of Runes... etc at instant speed and uncounterable.
    This means at least one copy of Ramunap Excavator is preferred as well.

Fourth Mother of Runes was replaced with one copy of Sylvan Safekeeper ( no summoning sickness to protect and tutorable )

I prefer one extra Sword of Fire and Ice over two SFM.

With 18 creatures being of the "Human" type, including your most important ones, one Cavern of Souls deserves a spot too, I think.
    It can be tutored for and it's essentially a Savannah when playing human creatures with it.

The Result :

Lands (23)

2 Bayou
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    2 Grasping Dunes
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    4 Savannah
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

Spells (12)

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Mirri's Guile
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Creatures (25)

1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Tireless Tracker

Sideboard (15)

2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dosan the Falling Leaf
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Grasping Dunes
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Tireless Tracker

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Another card which is too good to leave out imo is [CARD]Grasping Dunes[/CARD].
    This card allows [CARD]Knight of the Reliquary[/CARD] to finish Delvers, Grim Lavamancers, Dark Confidants, Baleful Strixes etc at instant speed and uncounterable
    Grasping Dunes has :
    Tap: Add Colorless to your mana pool.
    1, Tap, Sacrifice Grasping Dunes: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery

It kills only X/1 more over it require to use land drop and one mana, it's just worst abrupt Decay, difference is that it can be found by KotR, but if you untap with KotR you already won.. so it's just win more.

Noble hierarch vs Shaman vs Birds of Paradise are in primer.

Tracker require Hugh Mana to been effective, it's very slow and Grindy, you need 7 Mana (3 cast 4 for clues)and two landfalls to survive bolt, it's good card but not in multiple (no room, it's for game-end).

Sfm gives CA and speed up SoFI and dodge permission no point of running two SoFI.

If you really want a beatsticks put Nacatls, bolts and play like big Zoo, but it's wrong direction.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Thanks for the reply, Fatal.

Grasping Dunes has :
    Tap: Add Colorless to your mana pool.
    1, Tap, Sacrifice Grasping Dunes: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery

It kills only X/1 more over it require to use land drop and one mana, it's just worst abrupt Decay, difference is that it can be found by KotR, but if you untap with KotR you already won.. so it's just win more.
    OK, it kills only x/1 creatures right away but there are so many 1-toughness top creatures in Legacy that this card is rarely useless.
    It doesn't necessarily require a land drop though ( unless you meant "sacrificing" a land ? )
    Besides the advantage that it can be tutored up when needed ( contrary to Abrupt Decay ), it is also part of your 23 lands, which means you save two spots which otherwise would be taken up by Abrupt Decay.
    Another advantage is that it can be reused with Ramunap Excavator in play while Decay is gone after one use.

Another detail which may be important to keep in mind is that this land does not deal damage but rather puts a -1/-1 counter on a creature, which sticks around.
    This can make a difference after all like vs First Striker Thalia or in being un/able to take out KotR.

Tracker require Hugh Mana to been effective, it's very slow and Grindy, you need 7 Mana (3 cast 4 for clues)and two landfalls to survive bolt, it's good card but not in multiple (no room, it's for game-end).
    That's why I prefer Noble Hierarch ( more mana ) instead of DRS.
    I don't necessarily mind a Tracker taking a Bolt if that can keep my follow-up Knight alive.
    More threats = more chances that one can stay on the battlefield.
    I see no problem playing a Tracker on T2 after a T1 Hierarch. That's a 4/3 attacker on T3 ( possibly a 5/4 with a card draw and +1/+1 counter )

Sfm gives CA and speed up SoFI and dodge permission no point of running two SoFI.
    Good points.
    But what if you draw your artifacts first and your SFM later ?
    Then there's no card advantage and maybe no permission dodge either.
    2 SFM and 2 Equipment assumes you're going to draw the SFM first, but that's not necessarily the case.
    At this point, I just prefer drawing an equipment instead of a SFM.

I may still review my opinions based on future results though ;)

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

To Grasping Dunes: I tested barbarian ring which was much better with recursion since it deals two dmg and not only to a creature, but still Maverick is not aggro Loam sacrificing land in early turn is cause of lose mostly. So I still disagree.

would you play card:
    As additional cost skip you land play.
    Put -1/-1 counter on target creature.

Answer probably no, KotR argument is invalid since not too many threads has X/1 and is more dangerous then active KotR which mean KotR other targets will have higher value.

Hierarch dies to all -1/-1 effects which is hugh difference. Face golgari charm or Zealous Persecution and you will fast back to Shamans. Thanks to TNN all fair decks run some -1/-1 or mass removal effects.

About bolt on Tracker which took bolt instead KotR - today control decks(miracles 4c Control) mostly can't be overload by threads which cost 3 Mana, since they removal mostly cost 1(I hate you fatal push!), so they can easy digging for another one or equvalant in sort of Snapcasters or k.command which will be CA. So you need more bullet proof threads (like KotR which mostly be bigger then 3/3) or threads which are cheaper or threads which bring instant advantage. Tracker is good but the advantage require a lot of Mana which mean you will be tempo out in early turn if you want to gain that advantage. Much better value creature is Renegade Railler if you want instant value but it's conditional.

SFM argument, if you draw all your equips first - s...t happens - it's still a random card game, but with two sfm and two equips it is small probability to not gain advantage from any sfm. All in all even in case drawing all equips you will have.. those equips in hand so similar to running only equips. Moreover, equips in multiple is mostly bad opponent will focus to kill all creatures if he can't blow equip.

I think you need to work a lot on basis strategy, which cards and action gives card advantage, and in which conditions. Second thing how to gain virtual advantage using tempo - stress opponent resources so he can't use his card advantage which he takes - many cards in hand but very few resources to cast them out.

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    TimmyOD: would you consider running more than one Leo if the cuts were easy? In a way i feel like this shell might be better than 4CC for Leo as you can protect it with MoR. For a blue deck to find double bolt without their cantrips seems very strong.
    Was wondering this myself. It's a really powerful effect but I'm honestly not sure what I would cut for a second copy. I know some people are down on Stoneforge right now, but I like having two in the deck. Perhaps going from 4 Thalia down to 3 is a possibility? I'm already only running 3 Mothers and would be loathe to go down to 2.

Another question is: does the mana really support two copies of Leovold? Having one is reasonable because you draw it so infrequently that usually you get it with GSZ. Having two in the deck means you're far more likely to have one just stuck in your hand because you're playing a deck with basic Plains and Karakas and four copies of Wasteland. Perhaps at that point we cut the basic Plains and play Tundra because it helps cast Leovold. However, I really dislike getting that greedy with the mana base when Delver is the top deck and decks like Miracles are running Blood Moon and/or Back to Basics.

tl;dr: I don't know. Maybe, but probably not.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by timmyod17 View Post
    Was wondering this myself. It's a really powerful effect but I'm honestly not sure what I would cut for a second copy. I know some people are down on Stoneforge right now, but I like having two in the deck. Perhaps going from 4 Thalia down to 3 is a possibility? I'm already only running 3 Mothers and would be loathe to go down to 2.

Another question is: does the mana really support two copies of Leovold? Having one is reasonable because you draw it so infrequently that usually you get it with GSZ. Having two in the deck means you're far more likely to have one just stuck in your hand because you're playing a deck with basic Plains and Karakas and four copies of Wasteland. Perhaps at that point we cut the basic Plains and play Tundra because it helps cast Leovold. However, I really dislike getting that greedy with the mana base when Delver is the top deck and decks like Miracles are running Blood Moon and/or Back to Basics.

tl;dr: I don't know. Maybe, but probably not.
    Tested 2 tropical island and 2 Leovold - was good, 3 is too much, many times you get multiple on hand and there are many situations where your tropical is destroyed and you wait for another fetchland. I don't. recommend tundra as second blue source.
    Most time your manabase can handle max 6 duals with 8 fetclands which mean:
    2 savannah
    1 bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 tropical island
    4 windswept Heath
    4 verdant catacombs
    1 forest
    1 plains - this land is debatable in Leovold list since if you play it you can't cast leo turn 3 with lands only maybe as you debatable tundra here but you can't find it from verdant catacombs, so you would have made split in fetclands verdant / Marsh flats this would give rare situation that you can't fetch tundra from verdant and can't fetch tropical from marsh. Flats - I lost many games because of it and drop tundra for two tropicals.

4 wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 flex slot in functional land
    Total 22 lands

1 Dryad arbor

In my opinion mom is good call don't cut thalia it's just too good.

I was tempted to play Leovold myself but I decided to stick with thoughtseize as it doesn't mess up the mana as much and it's a strong early play especially against combo where we have no other interactive turn 1 play and we already have enough permanents that come down past turn 1.

For grindy matchups like pile the copy of Dark Depths gives us a late game threat they can't really contend with so I don't feel like I need to play a card like Leovold. Playing thoughtseize helps trim cards like Thalia or mom as it can some-what perform their functions of protection. Stocking up on 3 drops when there's a lot of delver in the format also doesn't feel safe, that being said I think I might move the second decay to the SB for the Ramunap Excavator as he's sweet and I want to up my creature count a little.

Also I'd never cut basic plains from my list, especially with this much delver. Getting cut off white is a death sentence, so much so that I cut 1 Verdant Catacombs for a Marsh flats so I can have 7 fetches that get a forest/arbor and 5 that get the plains as opposed to 8/4.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    I was tempted to play Leovold myself but I decided to stick with thoughtseize as it doesn't mess up the mana as much and it's a strong early play especially against combo where we have no other interactive turn 1 play and we already have enough permanents that come down past turn 1.

For grindy matchups like pile the copy of Dark Depths gives us a late game threat they can't really contend with so I don't feel like I need to play a card like Leovold. Playing thoughtseize helps trim cards like Thalia or mom as it can some-what perform their functions of protection. Stocking up on 3 drops when there's a lot of delver in the format also doesn't feel safe, that being said I think I might move the second decay to the SB for the Ramunap Excavator as he's sweet and I want to up my creature count a little.

Also I'd never cut basic plains from my list, especially with this much delver. Getting cut off white is a death sentence, so much so that I cut 1 Verdant Catacombs for a Marsh flats so I can have 7 fetches that get a forest/arbor and 5 that get the plains as opposed to 8/4.
    In Leovold version removal should be reworked, probably more Abrupt Decays which would balance tempo MU and curve nicely for BUG colors. Basic swamp gets more reason to run.
    Last edited by Fatal; 03-07-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    Reduced Grasping Dunes to 1 copy. It came in handy today against a pesky Strix that was holding back my Knight.
    If your objective is connecting with opponent's face, maybe you should play Rogue's passage instead. Not only does it work through strixes but it also does work against TNN.

Sacrificing a land to get rid of 1 strix feels bad, unless it's a decisive blow of course. But then again, if it is, you probably can pay for Passage.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Is anyone playing straight GW with black just for DRS and sideboard cards?

Looking for a starting point and some discussion.

Namely:

Straight GW seems like it can play DD/Stage easier.

Thoughtsieze seems almost mandatory against the unfair decks in the world.

Zealous Persecution is bonkers.

Finally:

Is ground seal good enough against all of the snapcaster decks in the format right now?
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Is anyone playing straight GW with black just for DRS and sideboard cards?

Looking for a starting point and some discussion.

Namely:

Straight GW seems like it can play DD/Stage easier.

Thoughtsieze seems almost mandatory against the unfair decks in the world.

Zealous Persecution is bonkers.

Finally:

Is ground seal good enough against all of the snapcaster decks in the format right now?
    That's what I'm on (GW main + Black sideboard) and DD/Stage isn't a big problem since I have a lot of GW sources already.

Ground Seal shuts down DRS so unless you want to be playing nobles only, I'd suggest not playing that. DRS is too good not to be used so, unless it gets banned, we should play it.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    That's what I'm on (GW main + Black sideboard) and DD/Stage isn't a big problem since I have a lot of GW sources already.

Ground Seal shuts down DRS so unless you want to be playing nobles only, I'd suggest not playing that. DRS is too good not to be used so, unless it gets banned, we should play it.
    What are you currently using against the snapcaster decks?
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Thread Information