Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    I've found that Elves is a difficult matchup despite the seemingly good cards post-board. The issue is that they can combo off before I can leverage the PFire engine, get a Jitte online, or cast a Fiery Justice. Is it worth running something as narrow as Blazing Volley or is there some secret tech in WRG that I'm not aware of for the matchup that might be generically good in other matchups?
    Granger Guildmage is pretty good.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Dec 2014
    Philly area

Quote Originally Posted by Barachai View Post
    Granger Guildmage is pretty good.
    Holy shit, that's amazing! A stone cold killer against D&T and Young Pyromancer, too

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by mgrinshpon View Post
    Holy shit, that's amazing! A stone cold killer against D&T and Young Pyromancer, too

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Add Strixes and all threads from infect.
    Last edited by Fatal; 01-30-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Back on Thoughtseize main, it's the list that's been performing best for me and I'm going to be sticking with this 75 to prepare for the GP instead of changing my list every other day.

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland
    -23-
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mother of Runes
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    -21-
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    -16-

---

1 Liliana, The Last Hope
    1 Garruk, Relentless
    2 Choke
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Council's Judgement
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Surgical Extraction

Swamp allows us to play more black cards without worrying about being taken off a colour. With the addition of both Decay and Thoughtseize I felt safe going down to 1 pridemage as the former cards can pick up the slack on artifact/enchantment removal as well as perform other roles. 4 Thoughtseizes more than make up for the lack of a single Thalia in combo match ups and also let us take annoying garbage like K. Command and TNN, 4 Thalia's were clunky at times anyways and having a turn 1 play for this deck is huge.

Here's some sideboard plans for some matchups I generally try to follow but don't just follow blindly, some choices could depend on their exact build obviously.

Miracles-

+1 Liliana
    +1 Garruk
    +2 Choke
    +1 Sylvan Library
    +1 Tireless Tracker
    +1 Gaddock Teeg
    +1 Council's Judgement

-4 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Noble Hierarch
    -1 Deathrite Shaman
    -1 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte

I keep Thoughtseize in this matchup because it can help protect a teeg, can take one of their few pieces of action, or can take a brainstorm and leave their hand a mess. I feel safe cutting all the plows when I have Thoughtseize, decays, and a Council's Judgement to not get rolled by a mentor - CJ also being a card I can just cast to nail a Jace is cool too. Noble has niche cases that let me exalted down a jace and DRS is sweet but all in all I feel like mana dorks are too low impact for this matchup and I have time to just make my land drops so I trim a couple. You can make an argument for keeping Jitte in but I was getting low on cuts and it's just not as threatening an equipment as the sword. With jitte cut I also trim a SFM because it's a squire once you have your only equipment, if I was running a pro white sword it'd be here along with the 2nd SFM, but again I'd be running out of cards to cut for this matchup.

Planeswalkers are definitely great against miracles, Liliana may be a little do nothing at times but she can clean up mentor tokens (which can be very annoying tbh), snapcasters, threaten inevitability and hey maybe she'll pick up a countered creature =p. Garruk mostly makes 2/2's and sometimes kills a containment priest, I play Garruk over Gideon in my sideboard because the option of killing opposing DRS in other matchups and stuff is great to have and he's a lot easier to cast. The chokes, library, and tracker go with the planeswalkers to help give your deck a bit more oomph against them as well. 2nd Teeg lets you zenith for it after they plow your first one. You can try bringing in Surgicals and going deeper on the Teeg route by surgicaling plow but I'd rather just have other high impact cards like walkers, choke, etc.

Storm-

+2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +1 Gaddock Teeg
    +3 Surgical
    +2 Zealous

-4 Plow
    -2 SFM
    -1 Jitte
    -1 Sofi

The sideboard plan is a lot more straightforward for this matchup. Even if Surgical is worse vs TES than ANT it still comes in both matchups, I mean come on it's miles ahead of all the cards we're taking out. Your equipment is far too slow to be relevant and plow is mostly a life gain spell or mising some poor kid's Dark Confidant//Phyrexian Obliterator. Zealous is mostly to clear goblins but sometimes you get to win the game a turn early or 'counter' a card like pyroclasm//grapeshot. Decay and Pridemage aren't as bad as you'd think, they can hit dread of night as well as artifacts that are played beforehand to get around Thalia or discard. If they're trying to go off with LED -> LED you can even decay the first one in response to the second one and they can't really crack it (unless they're holding a past in flames kill :( ).

DnT

+2 Zealous
    +1 Garruk
    +1 Liliana
    +1 Council's Judgement

-1 Sofi
    -1 Teeg
    -3 Thalia

I consider us to be highly favoured in this matchup and for it to get even better postboard. Just play the control role and kill their creatures. Connecting with a jitte is usually how this match ends on either side however it's much easier for us to connect with ours because we play a lot more removal and mom on white goes through all their creatures except revoker where we have both green and white creatures so they can't do the same as easily. I usually don't bother killing vial because it puts them down a card and we can continue to just 1for1 them and kill them with our superior card quality. Thoughtseize also helps deal with vial tricks and their tutors, and those along with 4 plows mean we hopefully won't get rolled by mirran crusader. This is one of the matchups you'll be happy to be playing the swamp as our black cards are so good here.

Most Delver-

+2 Choke
    +2 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Council's Judgement

-1 Gaddock Teeg
    -1 Qasali Pridemage
    -2 Stoneforge Mystic
    -1 Thoughtseize

This is obviously the one with most variance, say for instance their playing a 75 that's a bit slower and your walkers would be really good against you can try cutting your Thalia's for the 4th Thoughtseize back and your walkers and playing a control deck against them like against DNT(Thalia also usually matches up pretty poorly against their creatures).No matter how exactly you board the main point is to just survive and land a huge Knight that womps them. CJ, Zealous, and TS to an extent allow you do deal with TNN. I cut SFM because it's really slow and clunky to go "stoneforge" next turn "put equipment into play" then next turn "equip - oh my guy died" or worse they Cabal Therapied you. Thoughtseize is good to just mess up their hand. 1 Threat? take it. 1 piece of protection for their threat? Take it. 1 piece of removal for your knight? You get the idea, whatever their low on Thoughtseize will take and it'll give you information on how to proceed and what you need to play around. You play a bunch of cheap interaction and removal to get later into the game where you have a bunch of haymakers like choke, equipment, or 8 virtual copes of Knight.

Pile

+2 Choke
    +1 Sylvan Library
    +1 Liliana
    +1 Garruk
    +1 Council's
    +1 Tracker

-1 Teeg
    -3 Thalia
    -1 Pridemage
    -2 Plow

"you seem to cut Thalia a lot, why not just play punishing maverick if you hate her" =p. To be honest I haven't played this matchup since I cut Marit Lage, used to have that carry me and ignore all the Leovold card advantage garbage. Plow isn't the greatest but plowing DRS helps with cutting them off a colour and sometimes you have to plow a strix or leovold as much as it hurts. I cut Thalia's because I bring in quite a lot of spells again and she just feels too low impact for a matchup that's going to devolve into a grind fest. The planeswalkers and enchantments are big threats, this matchup is one of the big reasons why Liliana is in the sideboard, she munches on birdies and casters all day, creatures actually go to your yard in this control matchup, and the ultimate is a huge threat. Thankfully she can + and target nothing so if they have Leovold you can tick her up, you'll just need some creatures to get in his way if it comes down to that. Bring in the Zealous Persecutions if they have True Name (or even if you suspect them of having it), you can cut more plows/TS to make room for them, also cleans up strixes and makes your 1/2's or better beat Leo in combat.

Elves-

+2 Ethersworn Canonist
    +1 Gaddock Teeg
    +2 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Liliana
    +1 Garruk
    +1 Councils Judgement

-3 Thalia
    -1 Sofi
    -1 Pridemage
    -3 Mother of Runes

Mother has her uses like protecting hate bears from decay as well getting a jitte'd creature through pesky little insects but we have other ways to do that and I'd rather have something more proactive so there's honestly no better cuts than our mom. Again in this matchup it's important to know we're the control deck. Thoughtseize helps protect our creatures like mom but also rips out key cards (*cough Glimpse cough*) like their payoff spell, their way to get rolling, their way to stop our jitte etc. The plan is to 1for1 or hatebear them until we can set up something like a jitte or liliana. Zealous can also set them back quite a bit or just kill them at times. We bring in every card that kills creatures so that includes Garruk even if 4 mana kill a guy seems like a lot he's great at killing a card and being a threat at the same time while we continue to 1for1 them out, he can even tutor for something like a canonist or teeg if the game gets weird.

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

hey, does anyone has expirience with the utility land rogues passage?

im thinking of another way of forcing damage through TNN / Strix / Elves / etc. etc.
    i havent tried it yet but im thinking of it often. i think it can be great lategame but until then it only produces useless mana...

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

@Skizz: at least Megadeus was playing it, maybe he'll get around soon to comment on it.

Edit: apparently just logged in. You can always use the search thread option btw for the old thread.

@rascalyote I’m liking the main board thoughtseize (rather than splashing blue for Leo) but I think 3 might be more ideal as it isn’t the best late game top deck. If you were to shave to 3, would you mainboard tireless tracker?or a different 3 drop?

Re SB planeswalkers, I’ve been testing Nissa Vital Force and she’s been really good against miracles/ blue match ups. She makes threats, recurs, and draws cards but 5 cmc can be costly sometimes, I haven’t had luck finding a liliana last hope for the last few weeks but I’d like to test a 3 drop walker

Quote Originally Posted by ewong5 View Post
    @rascalyote I’m liking the main board thoughtseize (rather than splashing blue for Leo) but I think 3 might be more ideal as it isn’t the best late game top deck. If you were to shave to 3, would you mainboard tireless tracker?or a different 3 drop?

Re SB planeswalkers, I’ve been testing Nissa Vital Force and she’s been really good against miracles/ blue match ups. She makes threats, recurs, and draws cards but 5 cmc can be costly sometimes, I haven’t had luck finding a liliana last hope for the last few weeks but I’d like to test a 3 drop walker
    Yeah i was playing 3 before but you can play tracker or library in it's place, I know its a pretty bad top deck but its so good turn 1 that i wanted to try the 4th and we play more creatures than most decks and zenith shuffling back helps a bit in us top decking dudes in a topdeck war

5 mana is a lot but ive played ajani mentor of heroes before so who am I to say that haha. Every time i look at a 5 drop i think "well for 1 more mana i can play something silly like Elspeth suns champion" but i never actually do, she'd destroy nic fit though =p

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

This very good tournament report was posted on Reddit, linked on Discord and I thought I'd add it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...4k_10th_place/

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
    hey, does anyone has expirience with the utility land rogues passage?

im thinking of another way of forcing damage through TNN / Strix / Elves / etc. etc.
    i havent tried it yet but im thinking of it often. i think it can be great lategame but until then it only produces useless mana...
    This card has won me many games. It's definitely necessary to have cradle with it though. I think of it as my version of Dark Depths package because DD package isn't that good imo. It's best in big time board stalls, but you can push through some damage in the mid game, and people never play around it. I know there was one game where my opponent reanimated Iona and put themselves to 2 when I had teeg out naming I think white. I was pretty screwed based on my hand but I drew passage, make teeg unblockable and won. I think the best it's ever been for me was at Grand Prix Louisville last year:

"I don't remember anything but the third game. He has vial but only 1 land and I'm feeling great. Put BSkull with Jitte. He vials in Crusader for the blowout, but it's all good. Then he takes over with Palace Jailer, plus being the monarch. He has Revoker on my Jitte, BSkull, Crusader, Moms, Serra Avenger, vial, lands and is the monarch. I top decked a Knight the turn before and put batterskull on it. He's at 13 and I'm at about 22, but I'm basically dead. I rip Scryb Ranger for the turn. Do some math. Attack with Knight with batterskull, before blocks, activate getting a fetch, fetch, flash in scryb ranger, untap knight, activate knight, get Rogue's Passage, make knight unblockable and watch my opponents face simply drop as I hit him for 15."

He told me after the game that he couldn't beaten Sejeri Steppe, or basically any land I could have possibly gotten except that one. The card is insane in those DnT and Stone blade match ups where you just need to bust past a sea of dudes or a true name fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2012

@Megadeus: thank you for your input regarding rogues passage! how does your manabase look like when playing with it?

i will probably play this list on the next 3 events in my area and tune it for MKM Rome:
    (or maybe i just throw mother and sfm back in the deck, we`ll see )

i like the idea of empty my hand on turn 2 and overwhelm my opponent

cute cards i have also in mind are Thalia, Heretic Cathar and Sigarda - with the Manaboost from Cobra this could be great!

Maindeck:
    1 Forrest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaeas Cradle
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradies
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Lotus Cobra
    4 Thalia,GoT
    1 Qasal Pridemage
    1 Scrybranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Tireless Tracker
    2 Renegade Rallier
    2 Leovold, EoT
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Suns Zenith
    2 Umezawas Jitte

Sideboard:
    3 Zealous Persecution (maybe 2 ZP / 1 Toxic)
    2 Choke
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Liliana the Last Hope
    1 Diabolic Edict

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

This is the list I got day 2 of Grand Prix last year (no byes) with and went undefeated in this tourney for a Mox into top 8. This is before top ban, but I think the mana base at the very least would be the same. The Main Board BSkull at the time was a concession to Eldrazi being big. I don't usually play the Skull in Maverick

https://mtgdecks.net/Legacy/maverick...sh-hand-675588
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2012

that is great! i can imagine to swap a canopy for passage before any other land.
    will try this. thank you!

Yesterday, I came in 1st Place after 7 rounds of swiss of 80 players for the MTG First Game Center with Punishing Maverick.
    I will be doing a LIVE Tournament Report on Wednesday, 2/8, at 7pm EST on either tinychat or twitch. Will figure that out later.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    Yesterday, I came in 1st Place after 7 rounds of swiss of 80 players for the MTG First Game Center with Punishing Maverick.
    I will be doing a LIVE Tournament Report on Wednesday, 2/8, at 7pm EST on either tinychat or twitch. Will figure that out later.
    Congrats! Look forward to it!

Boo splitters, we never got to see a top 8!!!

But really graz hehe

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Congrats on the finish! Interested to hear your report.

https://www.twitch.tv/tkmaverick25

I know I said 7pm. However there has been a change. SO I will be starting at 2pm

https://www.twitch.tv/tkmaverick25

I know I said 7pm. However there has been a change. SO I will be starting at 2pm
    Is there a way to watch this at this point? Was planning to tune in at 7.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    Is there a way to watch this at this point? Was planning to tune in at 7.
    Not through twitch it looks like.
    @Thunderknight, you'd need to go into your settings and enable the storage of past broadcasts.
    https://help.twitch.tv/customer/port...deos-on-demand (under Enabling VOD Saving).
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Thread Information