Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Each time when I'm running Skull and/ or Sigarda - yes. Actually I'm not running either my meta looks like Grixis land - Grixis delver, Grixis control and.. 4c Czech Pile, Miracles and some D&T - this meta doesn't seems friendly for Cradle and overcosted bombs. If meta would reshift for more Sneak & Show, Burn, BUG or Eldrazi I would take a shift.
    Couldn't say it better. I loved having cradle but you need to have bombs to drop your mana into with sigarda/skull. It's all meta dependant and now is not the best time for those cards.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    Couldn't say it better. I loved having cradle but you need to have bombs to drop your mana into with sigarda/skull. It's all meta dependant and now is not the best time for those cards.
    Cradle also makes equipment (tutor/cast + equip on the same turn) and Scooze better, both of which are Maverick staples. FWIW I don't play Cradle and think the deck's fine without it, but it definitely opens some interesting lines of play.

Oh for sure there are multiple use: I can't count how many times I've cast SFM + cast sofi + equiped it and swung all on the same turn. Or when I've emptied an opponent's graveyard constantly with scooze activation, not letting them delve anything. Having a big mana dump is just what pushes it over the top.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

2-0’d Merfolk in my legacy league yesterday.

I am staying on Maverick for the forseable future.... I can’t handle the mana issues with Aggro Loam.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by soybars View Post
    second that request, QC.

i am having a crisis of faith over maverick right now because i am too stupid to play the deck proficiently. (this is jake from ck twitch)

it is easily my favorite deck in the format, but i really need to do some personal work on punts

last night, after maneuvering to get jitte counters against a DNT deck w/ mirran crusader out, i finally pass w two counters on jitte. my opponent casts council's judgement and i go "well, better use these counters. gain 4 life?" - i was utterly convinced, in that moment, that MC had protection from my equipped DRS -____-

taking an extra second would have been crucial, but i had already said it.

mind numbingly bad decision-making that has less to do w/ the actual deck and more to do w how i conduct myself in a match and remembering how cards work.

i'm only coming here to excise any demons and write it out so i never forget something stupid like that again.

i love punishing decks but learning maverick has been a bit of a mental ordeal.
    I've been on the deck in some form or other for two years, have had reasonable success locally, and I still fuck up terrifically from time to time. It's unavoidable even with study and perfect practice. At least you can recognize your mistakes and learn from them.

Don't beat yourself up, mate, and keep playing fair. <3
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Mar 2018
    Boston, MA

Oh for sure there are multiple use: I can't count how many times I've cast SFM + cast sofi + equiped it and swung all on the same turn. Or when I've emptied an opponent's graveyard constantly with scooze activation, not letting them delve anything. Having a big mana dump is just what pushes it over the top.
    Wait, you had 7 mana? How many creatures did you have?
    I'm usually lucky to have 2 or 3 creatures, I can't imagine being in such a position that Cradle would make more than 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Wait, you had 7 mana? How many creatures did you have?
    I'm usually lucky to have 2 or 3 creatures, I can't imagine being in such a position that Cradle would make more than 3.
    4 lands or 3 creatures is all you need for that: kotr + drs in play, cast sfm, activate kotr to get cradle, generate 3 mana (4 mana if you have 1 extra creature and 1 less land) + 2 mana to equip. No one expects the spanish inquisition!

If your objective is connecting with opponent's face, maybe you should play Rogue's passage instead. Not only does it work through strixes but it also does work against TNN.

Sacrificing a land to get rid of 1 strix feels bad, unless it's a decisive blow of course. But then again, if it is, you probably can pay for Passage.
    Tower of the Magistrate.

Like, not even a joke, I love that card.

Although very narrow, it does look like a gem you got there

Jan 2016
    Uppsala, Sweden

Can vouch for the effectiveness of Tower of the Magistrate. Used to play it a fair bit when D&T was more popular in my area. It does some serious work.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Question does anyone used Hazoret the Fervent in Punishing Maverick (probably on SB vs non-white decks) ?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I am playing against a 3 color DnT list this week. I think I am the aggro deck and just have to waste him off anything and kill him.

If I win this week I will be able to switch to a better list with a real sideboard!

Jan 2016
    Uppsala, Sweden

Three colour DnT sounds dubious. Wasteland seems like an all-star in the match-up for sure. Let us know how you go.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by TheMako View Post
    Three colour DnT sounds dubious. Wasteland seems like an all-star in the match-up for sure. Let us know how you go.
    I think the game will hinge on who draws the most (effective) mana disruption. He plays 2 basics which I feel gives me the slight edge as long as he doesn’t go crazy with vial.

Wouldn't three color DNT just be Vial Maverick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Wouldn't three color DNT just be Vial Maverick?
    For sure yes, interesting how good it uses vial. From my experience if you run punishing version you can easily steamroll vial Maverick since it doesn't run GSZ so not enough thread density which mostly are X/1 like Scryb ranger wayfarer which are in multiple. Don't try to waste it under active vial on 2 or open two mana. IT also can't find fast answer to remove fired from gy like normally function gsz.

Second strategy is to punish him on greedy Mana base by fast blowing vial with Decay or grudge/Pridemage. It also soft to our equipments since it can't tutor Pridemage.

P.S any of 4 Mavericks which was playing in MKM Rome, are here. Would like to hear a report. Meta looks combo and tempo oriented - good for Maverick, but on the other hand combo was mostly present as Reanimator and S&T which is bad for us.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I am on straight GW and I have a pretty useless sideboard as I waited until the last minute to submit my list.

We play tomorrow and I will Post the results as soon as I can.

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    P.S any of 4 Mavericks which was playing in MKM Rome, are here. Would like to hear a report. Meta looks combo and tempo oriented - good for Maverick, but on the other hand combo was mostly present as Reanimator and S&T which is bad for us.
    Hi Fatal,
    i played at MKM Rome and faced some friends of you. (i like your ideas with P.Fire List!)

i played GWb as usual and wanted to play a solid manabase (so no Blue for Leovold this time)

Mainboard:
    2 Forrest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaeas Cradle
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Slyvan Safekeeper
    4 Thalia, GoT
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scrybranger
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Green Suns Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Choke
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Liliana the last Hope
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize

Trial 3:1
    W Abzan-Turbo Depths
    L Elves
    W Mono-Red-Sneak Attack
    W Steel Stompy/Ravager Shops

Mainevent: 5:3 22nd out of 111
    1.) Bye
    2.) W Death and Taxes (mono white)
    3.) W Dragon Stompy
    4.) W Dredge
    5.) L Miracles (Top8)
    6.) L Czech Pile (Top8/Winner)
    7.) L Elves
    8.) W Grixis Delver

Deck felt strong but could not beat Miracles (Sylvan Safekeeper -> Sword/Snap-Sword and Councils Judgement for my Gaddock Teeg )
    Czech Pile could assemble K.Command-Snapcaster-Strix-Train every game
    Elves 2x Hardcast Behemot against turn 2 Teeg.

after round 4 the bad luck begins.. i just wanted to face Lands or even S&T - which are more in my favor than miracles/elves but nope not this time.

i also would like to know how the other pilots went and which list they played?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Beat BW, not 3 color, Death and Taxes 2-1.

Game 1: I got the early mother into stone forge into active equipment.

Game 2: See game one, but for him.

Game 3: Plains Mom for me, Karakas Mom for him, waste+swords put me ahead and after a few turns of equipment battles he was just never able to draw what he needed to pull ahead.

I loved the straight GW mainboard with DRS as I never had mana problems and was able to be aggressive. Felt very much like a mirror as he was never in a position to take advantage of his splash.

I am 4-2 heading into the last 2 weeks, I might be able to squeeze into the top 8 still.

Edit: I am also super excited because I get to play a real list and sideboard as opposed to a last minute list.

Ended up playing this list for the first time at a weekly.

Creature (24)
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    1x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Noble Hierarch
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Ramunap Excavator
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Enchantment (1)
    1x Sylvan Library

Land (24)
    1x Bayou
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Plains
    2x Savannah
    1x Scrubland
    1x Thespian's Stage
    1x Tropical Island
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath

Instant (5)
    1x Abrupt Decay
    4x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact (2)
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Sorcery (4)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard (15)
    1x Abrupt Decay
    2x Choke
    1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1x Sanctum Prelate
    2x Surgical Extraction
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Zealous Persecution

Match 1 against Sam on G/W Maverick
    Untapped with a Mom and 2x Kotr and eventually getting a jitte into play to just wipe his board. G2 he found triple STP in the top 8 cards of his deck which allowed him to stifle any form of mana development from my end. Eventually he equipped SoFI to a Scryb Ranger to beat me down. G3, Zealous Persecution wiped his Mom and Thalia while my KoTR found enough wastelands to hit all of his green sources.
    (1-0) (2-1 in matches)

Match 2 against Tyler on U/W Stoneblade
    Game 1, he ends up countering and killing most of my creatures while resolving a JTMS. Jace fateseals my outs away while I end up with close to 7 lands. Game 2, he ends up with 4 mana Gideon and 5 mana Gideon on the field against Knight, Mom, Dryad Arbor, Thalia, and Noble. I eventually find and resolve a SoFI to slap on my Arbor to eliminate both Gideons in one shot. End up going to 6 from Gid beats, but KoTR and SoFI seal the game against him before he could find anything relevant. Game 3, He ends up swordsing my DRS t1, and Snap+Swordsing my DRS t3. Lets me resolve a t3 choke which locked up enough lands for KoTR and Thalia to come down and win.
    (2-0)(4-2 in matches)

Match 3 against Jeff on Grixis Delver
    Game 1 ends up being a mana denial/who can stick their DRS game. I end up stifling his mana development to the point where I could resolve both KoTR and Leovold to prevent a good majority of his hand. In game 2, I end up on the back foot after his t1 DRS allows him to clear my mana dorks and Thalia. I scoop to the TNN and Delver on board. Game 3, I keep a spectacular hand where I can jam a mana dork t1 (gets bolted), resolve a Sylvan Library t2 (no daze), into double wasteland his two colored mana sources while playing another mana dork t3. Eventually he finds another colored mana source, but not after facing a KoTR, a Mom, and a Thalia. Jitte seals the match.
    (3-0)(6-3 in matches)

Match 4 against Josh on Mono Red Stompy
    In game 1, he ends up resolving both a Chandra and Koth against a Thalia with a Jitte and a big KoTR. He ends up slamming ensnaring bridge, but I manage to dig with a horizon canopy to try and find a GSZ. End up drawing it just in time to find QPM, which blows up the bridge, and Thalia+KoTR kill both of his Planeswalkers. Game 2, I end up stabilizing at 6 with a large Knight and a Thalia, but he ends up finding a Fiery Confluence off the top. Game 3, I mull to 5, get stuck on one land and die.
    (3-1)(7-5 in matches)

Overall, I feel that this deck seems to just have much more game against the field than my previous deck (Nic Fit). I end up boarding out Marit Lage combo in the mirror and against Mono Red which feels correct, but it could be wrong. Also Zealous Persecution is an fantastic card, I would honestly want one more if Grixis Delver is super prevalent. I also think having two 4 mana walkers against control is a bit too much. I never did end up seeing either, but Thalia feels super strong against U/W, which ends up being a nonbo with expensive planeswalkers.
    Last edited by Yutao; 03-23-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Thread Information