Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

if you are searching for a fightstick you could try Ulvenwald Tracker

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=340720

i used him when avacyn restored came out.... over all not impressive but a cheap enabler

All this talk about fighting has me thinking about Dromoka's Command out of the sideboard. I know y'all are talking about a fight effect with legs so it's not strictly relevant, but low cost modal spells are usually shit hot.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

The big unspellable green legend is a good idea for late game grinds against fair decks...the fact that you can protect him with Karakas is a big deal, but he doesn’t get around baleful strix....

Arashi, the Sky Asunder is a good option as it locks out the skies for the rest of the game.

On a separate note went 3-0 tonight in a local.

2-0 Infect
    2-1 Grixis Delver
    2-1 Burn

Held on in the burn matchup at 1 when he locked himself under a Thalia when I had the Blessed Alliance to stay alive. Gaea’s Cradle was broken, as was the Maze against all 3 matchups. I searched up the Cradle to Scooze the Delver player out of the game and to cast and equip a Jitte against a tapped out Grixis player to swing and clear his board(he had grudge in the yard).

Used Batterskull against Grixis and Burn as the Grixis player was out of removal and SFM>Batterskull was huge.

Didn’t get anything out of the Sigarda tonight, would have been more helpful as an Excavator.

Edit.... OMFG why isn’t Master of the Wild Hunt legendary?!? That would have been almost perfect.

Edit 2 ....

Went 2-1 tonight.

Beating Grixis Delver 2-1

Losing to Grixis Delver 0-2

Beating Omni-Show 2-1

Fun night, what is everyone’s sideboard advise against Grixis?

I feel like I have too many good cards and not enough of a plan.
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 04-21-2018 at 01:21 AM.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

hey guys sorry i posted this in discord too but still looking for answers....

I've been testing both, but do you all think punishing or abzan would be better for a team trios event? Punishing feels like im hedging for lots of delver but certainly losing points to combo game one and less consistent mana. I've talked to @Thunderknight a bit about this but i'd love any feedback if theres anybody in here who has some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    From the discussion last week about cards we need: holy shit are all of the “fight another creature” cards overcosted.

In my search I decided that a 5/5 for 2GG that activates to fight would be perfect but omg hold limited crap.

There is a kicker one in the new set that would cost 4GGG to fight something on cast and a legendary that would get monstrous and fight.

Come on blizz.
    Not a Maverick Player BUT -

What about Dromoka's Command? At two mana you're overpaying for the fight effect but you always get an additional benefit:

+1/+1 counter to beef up/win a fight or combat trick
    Prevent damage from a Bolt or Pyroclasm effect
    Sac an enchantment is narrow but a few come to mind (Blood Moon, Sneak Attack, Rest in Peace, Sylvan Library, Omniscience if their hand is bad. Does Miracles still play a Keranos?)

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post

I've been testing both, but do you all think punishing or abzan would be better for a team trios event? Punishing feels like im hedging for lots of delver but certainly losing points to combo game one and less consistent mana. I've talked to @Thunderknight a bit about this but i'd love any feedback if theres anybody in here who has some insight.
    From personal experience if you are playing Punishing Fires, just play Aggro Loam as you need a combo hoser game one and paying 3 for fires feels terrible.

About the fight mechanic, I have 1 creature slot open for a GSZ target and cannot settle on a card I like and in that search I realized how close all of the fight cards are to being good.... but actually end up as total trash.

I am between the 3rd pridemage, Sigarda and Ranumap Excavator. If there was actually a good fight creature it would also be in consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post

I'd play Abzan for the mana consistency and combo concerns. Delver is beatable without Punishing Fire.

Also I agree with lavafrogg RE: paying three for P-Fires. I'd rather play Thalias main without the nonbo.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    I'd play Abzan for the mana consistency and combo concerns. Delver is beatable without Punishing Fire.

Also I agree with lavafrogg RE: paying three for P-Fires. I'd rather play Thalias main without the nonbo.
    I usually play Aggro Loam or Maverick.... and it depends on Thalia vs Chalice. I think the mana consistency of GW and the power of DRS is where I want to be right now.

Can you guys talk a little bit about Choke in the sideboard of Maverick (GW version)? How good is it in the meta right now? It seems too slow vs Delver and Pile has DRS+Decay, is it still devastating enough vs them to warrant slots though? I know it's a grand slam against Miracles but just wondering if it may be better to play some bomb card in that slot instead like a planeswalker, or Sigarda etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aten View Post
    Can you guys talk a little bit about Choke in the sideboard of Maverick (GW version)? How good is it in the meta right now? It seems too slow vs Delver and Pile has DRS+Decay, is it still devastating enough vs them to warrant slots though? I know it's a grand slam against Miracles but just wondering if it may be better to play some bomb card in that slot instead like a planeswalker, or Sigarda etc.
    I was wondering the same thing about walkers vs chokes. I had Liliana before but she doesn't seem to do quite enough against miracles and she's hard to cast so I chose to play choke instead of her or Sigarda and just play Dark Depths in my main deck to deal with pile. Not sure if Gideon/Elspeth/Garruk would be better though, I'm still fond of Elspeth as she jumps over TNN and just kills our miracles opponent the fastest or murders Jace without opening herself up to plow.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    I was wondering the same thing about walkers vs chokes. I had Liliana before but she doesn't seem to do quite enough against miracles and she's hard to cast so I chose to play choke instead of her or Sigarda and just play Dark Depths in my main deck to deal with pile. Not sure if Gideon/Elspeth/Garruk would be better though, I'm still fond of Elspeth as she jumps over TNN and just kills our miracles opponent the fastest or murders Jace without opening herself up to plow.
    Choke is still really good. Turning all of their lands into lotus petals is pretty savage and can be game winning on its own. The problem is that most of the decks running Choke have ways to deal with it, but that can be said about any card.

I personally love Choke over the planeswalkers because it can come in against combo decks, better than nothing in most situations, especially Show and Tell. I will always prefer to have cards with uses against unfair decks over the fair ones as we do a decent job against fair decks as it is. Therefore imho Choke>planeswalkers

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I agree with Lavafrogg, just want to add that Choke fits with the Maverick gameplan and has some synergy with Thalia, Wastelands and KotR's.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Choke vs Walkers:
    Does your meta have more Miracles then Czech Pile+ BUG Control? If yes run Choke.

End of the story.

I feel like there's room enough in every sideboard for at least one Choke. Never leave home without it.

Hi guys,

I have one sideboard slot free for a planeswalker (mainly to combat Miracles and Czech Pile). Which one do you prefer? Garruk Relentless or Gideon, Ally of Zendikar? (I play Cradle, so Garruk is way easier on the manabase).

Thanks for any input!

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

@Johnyvolta: I'm not sure if I'm the best person to answer as I've rarely had success with any of the planeswalkers. Vs Pile Garruk has the risk of getting Lightning Bolted, at least Gideon comes with 4 loyalty. Gideon can also boost your team so you can survive the Marsh Casualties you could expect from Pile, and can offer a quicker clock if you have protection from Diabolic Edict. So it seems to me like Gideon should be better. However, for fighting blue control decks I've switched from planeswalkers to Bitterblossom like 3 years ago and still think it's the better choice, and it got much better with the popularity of Pile (and Lands and Turbo Depths). But it also didn't work out that great for me. But I would go for a Bitterblossom, it doesn't die to Lightning Bolt or True-Name Nemesis.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

From personal experience if you are playing Punishing Fires, just play Aggro Loam as you need a combo hoser game one and paying 3 for fires feels terrible.

About the fight mechanic, I have 1 creature slot open for a GSZ target and cannot settle on a card I like and in that search I realized how close all of the fight cards are to being good.... but actually end up as total trash.

I am between the 3rd pridemage, Sigarda and Ranumap Excavator. If there was actually a good fight creature it would also be in consideration.
    Ulvenwald Tracker?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    This was a rant in which there is no playable fight creature or even a fight creature that isn’t just limited garbage.

GG for a 2/3 that fights.

2GG for a 5/5 that has an ability that fights.

Tracker is fine, but doesn’t really solve any problems.

There is a problem with Wizards color wheel when green doesn’t have the best creatures, everything good is getting spread across other colors.

This was a rant in which there is no playable fight creature or even a fight creature that isn’t just limited garbage.

There is a problem with Wizards color wheel when green doesn’t have the best creatures, everything good is getting spread across other colors.
    steel leaf champion could be usefull?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    steel leaf champion could be usefull?
    Already discussed. Many other cards are better, with less restrictive cost.

Tracker isn't bad but it slow, mana hungry and it require one more creature to work, I would rather use Granger if you have red splash to fight pesky X/1 creatures.

Thread Information