Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Three copies of Maverick in the top 16 of the ATL Legacy Classic (called Abzan Deathblade here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tourname...18-04-29#paper.) Two in the top 8, one Punishing one Leo. Two Punishing lists. Well done lads.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

What's the reasoning behind no Thalia's in the Punishing Maverick list? Is it too mana intensive to maintain the engine alongside Thalia?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    What's the reasoning behind no Thalia's in the Punishing Maverick list? Is it too mana intensive to maintain the engine alongside Thalia?
    Of course it is

also finding slots for 4 thalia and 3 p.fire is not easy.

I'm thinking about collected company to play, a couple of this instead of 1 sigarda\big boy and 1 oze\ or something else

I think is a great card that do a very interesting effect

Any thoughts about?

Ah shit I miscounted the number of Punishing lists (combination of wishful thinking and my brain is mush this AM due to living the High Life.) RIP.

Generally yes per Zulabnar's response. However, this isn't the only way to play Punishing. I recall a number of the Pun Mav stalwarts (particularly strassbaw and serpahix) have played Thalia in the sideboard. I think you're usually going to be doing a straight swap in games 2 and 3 with that plan when it matters so it's not too onerous.

I'm pretty sure there were some main deck Thalia's last year too following the mongoose hours kids' hype post. They cut down on lands to make room if I am not mistaken.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    Ah shit I miscounted the number of Punishing lists (combination of wishful thinking and my brain is mush this AM due to living the High Life.) RIP.

Generally yes per Zulabnar's response. However, this isn't the only way to play Punishing. I recall a number of the Pun Mav stalwarts (particularly strassbaw and serpahix) have played Thalia in the sideboard. I think you're usually going to be doing a straight swap in games 2 and 3 with that plan when it matters so it's not too onerous.

I'm pretty sure there were some main deck Thalia's last year too following the mongoose hours kids' hype post. They cut down on lands to make room if I am not mistaken.
    This was really what I was driving at. I was surprised to see no Thalias in the 75 at all. Isn't Thalia one of the few ways to really have chances against combo decks though?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

This was really what I was driving at. I was surprised to see no Thalias in the 75 at all. Isn't Thalia one of the few ways to really have chances against combo decks though?
    She definitely helps. The Teegs, Cannonists, and Crops+Bog are all good, but I'd still feel pretty exposed without c. three Thalias. Too good not to play, these results not withstanding.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Read the primer my friend :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    Of course it is

also finding slots for 4 thalia and 3 p.fire is not easy.

I'm thinking about collected company to play, a couple of this instead of 1 sigarda\big boy and 1 oze\ or something else

I think is a great card that do a very interesting effect

Any thoughts about?
    Collected Company can be powerful, but is probably too high variance. If you try it, let us know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Gronder sounds like a dating app for people who play Knight of the Reliquary.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Has anyone tested the full set of Sanctum Prelate in the board against blue.dec?

One is pretty annoying, set at 1 obvi, but in multiples(with mom support) is absolutely dumb.

I just finished a game with a mom, prelate at 1 and prelate at 3, against Pile that was pretty gross.

Obviously this was a corner game but I have always been impressed by Prelate in most matchups.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    Read the primer my friend :)

Collected Company can be powerful, but is probably too high variance. If you try it, let us know how it goes.
    First impressions.
    Yesterday night with some friends

against landstill\delver deck i play it twice in 6 games (1-1 pre side 2-1 in my favour post side), it gives me victory in a post side match after a long board controlling by my oppo with bolt\stifle\waste\submerge i reveal 2 kotr and win.

Against BUG control was countered every single time. 0-2 preside 2-2 post side.

4cc is a huge price, i always play it with Cradle on the table.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

As powerful as company is, what matchups do you feel that we have the time to wait for a 4cc instant that may or may not put the boardstate in our favor?

It would be fun to play 3 eternal witness and 4 company in a GW deck, no Thalia obvi, and just grind out companies until the control deck was out of removal and counters... but that is a different deck.

Thalia essentially makes company unplayable and I would never play Conpany over Thalia.

Hey!

I am on GWb + combo build currently. My sb is:

2 surgical
    3 thoughtseize
    1 abrupt decay
    2 zealous persecution
    2 gideon
    1 containment priest
    1 pithing needle
    3 ethersworn canonist

What is you vision of sb plan for:
    * dnt. Do we need to bring thoughtseizes?
    * elves. Do we need to bring thoughtseizes?
    * infect. Do we need to bring canonists? Do we want to keep thalias? I have no idea what is the proper plan here. I will bring in needle, decay and persecution for sure.
    * dragon stompy. Should we keep thalia on a play?
    * miracles. What we would like to side out?

Quote Originally Posted by 1esha View Post
    Hey!

2 surgical
    3 thoughtseize
    1 abrupt decay
    2 zealous persecution
    2 gideon
    1 containment priest
    1 pithing needle
    3 ethersworn canonist

* infect. Do we need to bring canonists? Do we want to keep thalias? I have no idea what is the proper plan here. I will bring in needle, decay and persecution for sure.
    I've never brought in Thoughtseize against DNT or Elves and I have a pretty good record against both decks. I'm sure they're good and worth side boarding in, I just never felt like I needed them to win. I don't have anything special to offer RE: DNT since I think that's an eminently winnable match, but my Elves sideboard plan has tended to favor permanent-based hate like Canonist, Containment Priest, and Teeg (that's in addition to one main deck Teeg, THC, and Aven Mindcensor, all of which are great against Elves.) I also bring in ZP and, in the rare instances that I include them in my sideboard, Deluge. My gut is your Thoughtseizes will be overtaxed.

Canonists are good against Infect and I would bring them in. Thalias are good to keep in too. Another card to consider is Blessed Alliance, since they can't counter it with a protection spell and they're often swinging in with just the one fucker. Blessed Alliance is a beautiful card in the match up.

Have to know what else is in your main deck for the other two. I know I've been successful against Dragon Stompy, but I have no recollection of what I did to beat them. Also I might just be playing bad Stompy players.

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    I've never brought in Thoughtseize against DNT or Elves and I have a pretty good record against both decks. I'm sure they're good and worth side boarding in, I just never felt like I needed them to win. I don't have anything special to offer RE: DNT since I think that's an eminently winnable match, but my Elves sideboard plan has tended to favor permanent-based hate like Canonist, Containment Priest, and Teeg (that's in addition to one main deck Teeg, THC, and Aven Mindcensor, all of which are great against Elves.) I also bring in ZP and, in the rare instances that I include them in my sideboard, Deluge. My gut is your Thoughtseizes will be overtaxed.

Canonists are good against Infect and I would bring them in. Thalias are good to keep in too. Another card to consider is Blessed Alliance, since they can't counter it with a protection spell and they're often swinging in with just the one fucker. Blessed Alliance is a beautiful card in the match up.

Have to know what else is in your main deck for the other two. I know I've been successful against Dragon Stompy, but I have no recollection of what I did to beat them. Also I might just be playing bad Stompy players.
    I feel the same about elves and DNT. My record against DNT is good, but elves matchup is a disaster. Turn 2 glimpse with cradle is very common. What is your typical keepable hand after sb? How many removals/hatebeards?

Regarding to two last matchups, here it is my md:

24 LANDS
    1 Bayou
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    25 CREATURES
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    9 INSTANTS and SORC.
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 OTHER SPELLS
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I feel the same about elves and DNT. My record against DNT is good, but elves matchup is a disaster. Turn 2 glimpse with cradle is very common. What is your typical keepable hand after sb? How many removals/hatebeards?

Regarding to two last matchups, here it is my md:

24 LANDS
    1 Bayou
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    25 CREATURES
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    9 INSTANTS and SORC.
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 OTHER SPELLS
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    If you want to beat elves you need to do a few things, and get lucky.

First, you need them to be on the natural order plan, and you have the early Teeg.

Thoughtsieze, ZP, decay, Prelate, containment priest, canonist can all come in. Knight, Ranumap, Tracker, Ooze, Batterskull, Depths, Stage can all come out as they are too slow.

You need to get mom and multiple hatebears, an active jitte/sword, or double ZP to win... everything else just buys time.

Neither of you are running blue so counters aren’t a concern so you have to mulligan into ways to stop them from winning.

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

Hey!

2 surgical
    3 thoughtseize
    1 abrupt decay
    2 zealous persecution
    2 gideon
    1 containment priest
    1 pithing needle
    3 ethersworn canonist

DNT - this is a pretty favorable matchup. I'd want removal (Decay is good, ZP is excellent), as well as a Needle as it has plenty of targets. Containment Priest is decent but not great to sometimes disrupt a vial activation. There's nothing in their deck that we can't beat, so I would not bring in Thoughtseize. Thalias and Teeg are easy cuts in this matchup.

Elves - Contrary to a poster above, I find Elves to be miserable. I'm in favor of Thoughtseize here as the cards that beat us are Glimpse, Natural Order, and occasionally GSZ. Otherwise their deck is a pile of little dudes and our creatures are superior. You also want all your removal (Decay is good, ZP is excellent). Canonist is also excellent - though they will bring in their own decays. Needle is decent as it shuts off Symbiote, and the Symbiote-Visionary combo is a way they can just win by out-valuing us. Containment Priest is also decent here. Take out your Thalias for sure. I usually also cut QPM, Ooze, maybe a KotR or two, Excavator, and non-Jitte equips.

Infect - Canonist shines here. It makes it basically impossible for infect to insta-kill you. Again ZP and Decay are excellent. I like Thoughtseize here, especially if I can snag their only creature on the play, for instance. Needle is also decent as it can name Inkmoth Nexus. I'd echo a recommendation for Blessed Alliance in this matchup.

Dragon Stompy - I like Thalia here, and definitely better on the play than the draw.

Miracles - there are probably many opinions on this one. Your sideboard is a bit different from mine (which features Choke, Garruk, Sanctum Prelates, etc). I think Surgical is reasonable vs Miracles. Gideon should come in for sure as well. Otherwise, you could maybe bring in Canonists (shuts down Snapcasters and cantrip-heavy draws) and possibly Needle for stuff like Azcanta or Jace. Decay isn't bad as a catch-all answer. Personally, I cut 4 StP's, Gaea's Cradle, 1 DRS, 1 Thalia, and 1-2 Knights and bring in Chokes, Garruk, 2 Prelates, another equip, and surgicals.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

You also need to understand that for the most part: straight GW with no midrange flex spots will be better against combo decks and more 3+ color lists with the combo and multiple non knight 3 drops will be better at grinding out wins.

I primarily play straight GW and will therefore have better combo matchups due to better game 1 matchups.

Back to back 4-0's at my weekly legacy with Miranda Keiths list having Stage Depths in place of Cradle Maze, and week 2 -1 Tracker, -1 SFM, +2 Shalai in the main (yes I realize how ridiculous 1 SFM looks on paper) as well as -1 Sigarda, -1 Walker +1 Thoughtseize +1 Deluge in the board. Also thinking of putting the extra Teeg back in the SB over a canonist so my zeniths can still go get a hatebear after they kill the first Teeg.

Shalai was a house, vs hypergenesis I put her in then died vs Elesh norn, emrakul, griselbrand + Omni :^). But other than that card was nuts, was fine vs miracles even though it's one of the matchups the card is weaker against, a 3/4 flyer that's protected with Karakas is ok, opponent had a turn where I had Karakas, Thalia and Shalai in play and he wanted to play a bunch of cards so he tries to get thalia off the table for a turn with a plow but she has hexproof and if he plows Shalai I just pick her up and replay her on my turn.

Mom + Shalai locked out quite a few plays/decks, add in scryb Ranger and it was pretty nutty, got to Gavony Township kill as well.

Forget my matchups last week but this week was

Rd 1 Hypergenesis
    Rd 2 Alluren (Shalai is pretty dece against this deck)
    Rd 3 Miracles
    Rd 4 ANT

So wasn't a walk in the park =p
    Last edited by Rascalyote; 05-04-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyod17 View Post
    DNT - this is a pretty favorable matchup. I'd want removal (Decay is good, ZP is excellent), as well as a Needle as it has plenty of targets. Containment Priest is decent but not great to sometimes disrupt a vial activation. There's nothing in their deck that we can't beat, so I would not bring in Thoughtseize. Thalias and Teeg are easy cuts in this matchup.

Elves - Contrary to a poster above, I find Elves to be miserable. I'm in favor of Thoughtseize here as the cards that beat us are Glimpse, Natural Order, and occasionally GSZ. Otherwise their deck is a pile of little dudes and our creatures are superior. You also want all your removal (Decay is good, ZP is excellent). Canonist is also excellent - though they will bring in their own decays. Needle is decent as it shuts off Symbiote, and the Symbiote-Visionary combo is a way they can just win by out-valuing us. Containment Priest is also decent here. Take out your Thalias for sure. I usually also cut QPM, Ooze, maybe a KotR or two, Excavator, and non-Jitte equips.

Infect - Canonist shines here. It makes it basically impossible for infect to insta-kill you. Again ZP and Decay are excellent. I like Thoughtseize here, especially if I can snag their only creature on the play, for instance. Needle is also decent as it can name Inkmoth Nexus. I'd echo a recommendation for Blessed Alliance in this matchup.

Dragon Stompy - I like Thalia here, and definitely better on the play than the draw.

Miracles - there are probably many opinions on this one. Your sideboard is a bit different from mine (which features Choke, Garruk, Sanctum Prelates, etc). I think Surgical is reasonable vs Miracles. Gideon should come in for sure as well. Otherwise, you could maybe bring in Canonists (shuts down Snapcasters and cantrip-heavy draws) and possibly Needle for stuff like Azcanta or Jace. Decay isn't bad as a catch-all answer. Personally, I cut 4 StP's, Gaea's Cradle, 1 DRS, 1 Thalia, and 1-2 Knights and bring in Chokes, Garruk, 2 Prelates, another equip, and surgicals.
    Oh I don't disagree that Elves is rough stuff. I expect to face it at least once and maybe twice at our biweekly local so I configured my main deck and sideboard to have extra answers against it (Mindcensor and THC main are far from standard). I think my positive record is due to that and knowing what hands to keep against particular players. My face would likely get smushed in G1 against an unknown Elves player.

I guess you can treat the Elves and Infect matches in the same way as other combo match ups: Thoughtseize away the combo pieces. That's something I'll think about the next time I play Mav at the LGS, particularly against Infect where I think it's more impactful. Just never occurred to me!

Do most Miracles lists play Mentor these days? If that's the case, would you keep the StPs in? Or do you put most of your eggs in the Decay basket?

I'll second Garruk + Choke. Choke's an obvious answer, but Garruk is such a beast. Punch yer Jace in the face!

This is how I've been boarding-

Miracles -4 plow, +2 decay +2 Choke. Surgical can be good, like take their snapcaster target, take a terminus with a miracle trigger on the stack, take out their plows etc. but at the end of the day it's a control matchup and most of the time Surgical is going to just put you down a card and I'd rather have another threat. You can keep a plow or two if they're heavy mentor but the Decays and Jitte mean you're not just cold to them having it as a 2of in their SB. I know plow and Terminus make Shalai look meh but I'd rather have a 3/4 flyer that I can protect with Karakas over something like a surgical.

Elves -2 Shalai, -1 Excavator, -1 Pridemage, -4 Thalia, -1 Sylvan Library, -1 Sword of F/I, -1 mom. +4 Thoughtseize +2 Canonist +2 Zealous +1 Deluge +2 Decay. Just all the removal and sweepers, Ooze is pretty good at beating their alternate win-con of bashing you with dorky dudes and turns off DRS. Trade 1for1 with removal spells and thoughtseize, rip apart their synergy, turn off or discard their haymakers like Glimpse/NO and the situation will favour you as you both are low on cards as you have big bomby threats and they have dorky synergistic critical mass dorks, you also have huge swings with sweepers or jitte. Game 1 is pretty close to a scoop, but with 11 cards being brought in I can breathe a lot easier for game 2/3, not saying it's easy though.

Infect +2 Canonist +1 Deluge +2 Persecution +2 Decay +4 Thoughtseize. -4 Mom -2 Shalai -1 Teeg -1 Ooze -1 Library -1 Excavator -1 SOFI. Sofi is fine in the MU but I was running low on cuts, you can cut something else if you want but they already have a ton of artifact removal post board anyways so w.e. I cut mom because most of the time they don't have removal and if they do it's w/e none of our hate bears lock them out too hard and they're diluting their deck to put cards like Sword to Plowshares in. Again just all the removal you can muster, they don't have too many threats, canonist lets you say 'okay Ill take 1' and if they go for a pump you can 100% remove their threat w/o worrying about a counter.

DNT +1 Deluge +2 Zealous +2 Decay -4 Thalia -1 Teeg. Let's be real, Shalai isn't steallar against the deck sporting plow and Karakas but we're cutting 5 creatures for 5 spells so she's a lot better than Thalia, Teeg is also hot garbage in this matchup, Shalai at least flies and has text, and is stupid with a mom when they don't have Karakas. Thoughtseize has good text but it opens ourselves up to getting cut off mana by going for black so I don't play it, that problem doesn't exist as much for our other black cards because they tend to almost end the game when we cast them. I find DNT to be fairly easy, your creatures outclass theirs a lot of the times, you can answer jitte better, your topdecks are better, and trading down 1for1 favours you as they go down a card to play Vial and sometimes postboard go down another card to play Rest in Peace.

How do You do against Jace and Czech pile \ Miracle?

Normally i finish my cards and then lose to jace \ TNN.

Yesterday i lose with 2 mother in game 1 drs and 1 sword of fire ice

He remove sword, then with a brainstorm + ponder find deluge, than push on another creature i draw and play.

Every match is more or less the same, how do You play?

Thread Information