Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Went 4-0 at the local fnm even though I played appallingly.

My matches were:

BW good stuff 2-1
    MUD 2-1
    Elves 2-0
    Lands 2-1

I had traded 2 abrupt decay to a friend so had 2 random cards in the main (lotus cobra and beast within).

The most memorable match was against elves (piloted by one of my good friends):

Game 1: I get turn 2 cobra into fetch t3 new Thalia (keeping fetch uncracked). He cast hoof and swung for 10, I double cropped for DD combo and after the first crop rotation he asked if he was dead haha.

Game 2: he kept decaying my guys, until I only have a deathrite in play with 3 Lands, I play bog leaving 3 untapped, he swings with 2 arbors and a visionary, I cast beast within on my bog and kill the visionary (he was so surprised haha). Then zealous persecutioned him after he GSZ'd for a wirewood symbiote.

If you want further match details/deck list I'm more than happy to supply them
    Last edited by Valleysdai; 06-02-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Hey all, put the deck together back in April and played some friendlies for a while to get a feel for the deck. Last week finally took it to the weekly and went 2-1, beating Infect, Turbo Depths, and punting to Tin Fin Depths.

Deck is an absolute blast (Excavator + Wasteland is simply disgusting). I usually play some sort of combo deck, so this is refreshing. Just wanted to throw out my list and see if anyone has any critiques and/or general sideboarding advice.

// Creatures (25)
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

// Spells (8)
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

// Artifacts (3)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

// Enchantments (1)
    1 Sylvan Library

// Lands (23)
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

// Sideboard (15)
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Zealous Persecution
    2 Choke
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

// 75 Cards Total

I started with Stage + DD because, as I said, I love combo, but it was way too clunky drawing one or the other. Maze and Cradle feel way better in majority of situations. Light and Shadow is there because we get a lot of D&T on the weekends, but weeknights we don't so I swap it for a ScOoze, which I liked. Titania seems pretty sick especially with Excavator so I may try that out. Depending on the night/meta I may put Tracker into THC's slot rather than having both; I feel she's a waste of a sideboard slot and should be main if running at all.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by p01ng View Post
    Hey all, put the deck together back in April and played some friendlies for a while to get a feel for the deck. Last week finally took it to the weekly and went 2-1, beating Infect, Turbo Depths, and punting to Tin Fin Depths.

Deck is an absolute blast (Excavator + Wasteland is simply disgusting). I usually play some sort of combo deck, so this is refreshing. Just wanted to throw out my list and see if anyone has any critiques and/or general sideboarding advice.

// Creatures (25)
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

// Spells (8)
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

// Artifacts (3)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

// Enchantments (1)
    1 Sylvan Library

// Lands (23)
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

// Sideboard (15)
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Zealous Persecution
    2 Choke
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Tireless Tracker

// 75 Cards Total

I started with Stage + DD because, as I said, I love combo, but it was way too clunky drawing one or the other. Maze and Cradle feel way better in majority of situations. Light and Shadow is there because we get a lot of D&T on the weekends, but weeknights we don't so I swap it for a ScOoze, which I liked. Titania seems pretty sick especially with Excavator so I may try that out. Depending on the night/meta I may put Tracker into THC's slot rather than having both; I feel she's a waste of a sideboard slot and should be main if running at all.
    I am playing 3 THC in this current meta and she is bonkers against the DRS/blue decks.

First strike gets her past Strix and chump blockers, Karakas saves her from removal and her ability is crippling to 8fetch.deck that are everywhere. Kind of like a white blood moon in some aspects, especially with Wasteland+Excavator.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I am playing 3 THC in this current meta and she is bonkers against the DRS/blue decks.

First strike gets her past Strix and chump blockers, Karakas saves her from removal and her ability is crippling to 8fetch.deck that are everywhere. Kind of like a white blood moon in some aspects, especially with Wasteland+Excavator.
    Don't forget that she is one of the best main deck threats we have against elves

i love big thalia but how the heck do you fit 3 in the deck? do you still play any other 3 drops besides knight? (ramunap, tracker, leo..etc) do you cut Stoneforge? Curious how you pull it off honestly.

Different subject- has anyone done serious testing with shalai? She just seems so fun and although costly, powerful.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    i love big thalia but how the heck do you fit 3 in the deck? do you still play any other 3 drops besides knight? (ramunap, tracker, leo..etc) do you cut Stoneforge? Curious how you pull it off honestly.

Different subject- has anyone done serious testing with shalai? She just seems so fun and although costly, powerful.
    I played three to decent success. It was pre excavator though. Card is so good on turn 2 it wins games
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

White Staples(11)
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

SFM Package(4)
    2 SFM
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Green Staples(8)
    4 Deathrite Shaman

GSZ Targets(6)
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Ranumap Excavator
    1 Dryad Arbor

Spells(8)
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Lands(23)
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Gaea’s Cradle
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Canonist/containment priest/damping sphere/Prelate
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Blessed Alliance

Current list.

Ghost Quarter has been in and out for a fetch, but hasn’t really done anything. I love SFM and would play 4 if I had room, the first card I would cut would be the Excavator, as she just does a really good job of shutting the door in games we are ahead, or grinding out games when the opponent has run out of gas(which SFM also does).
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Ghost Quarter has been in and out for a fetch, but hasn’t really done anything.
    For me ghost quart has been huge, there are 3 scenarios that it does well with:

1 - it can be used if your opponent needles/spyglasses wasteland (or if you ran out of wasteland). This allowed me to shut off an opponent and win the match.

2 - it can fix your mana (providing you have some number of basics)

3 - it can grow a knight with a double pump (ghost quarter your own land)

I'd feel fine cutting SFM honestly.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

https://manastack.com/deck/maverik-18
    After a long time away from maverik, this is what I want to try out,
    my only concern is if I should drop something in the sideboard for more hate for GY strategies, but I'm unsure how one or two slots can make the difference.

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

yesterday it was time to try some weired shit and i had a lot of fun and sucsess with following list on our playgroup:
    of course it needs a bit of fine tuning.. but it was better then expected

1 Forrest
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Cradle
    1 Roges Passage

4 Shaman
    3 Hierarch
    1 Bird
    4 Mother
    1 Teeg
    2 Pridemage
    3 Tracker
    3 Thalia Heretic
    2 Leovold
    1 Steel Leaf Champion
    1 Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
    2 Shalai
    1 Gisela

4 Zenith
    4 StP
    1 Crop Rotation

made ONLY preboard games against czech pile 10/0 , grixis delver 3/0 enchantress 3/5 and 2/1 ub faeries

Quote Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
    made ONLY preboard games against czech pile 10/0 , grixis delver 3/0 enchantress 3/5 and 2/1 ub faeries
    Any stand out cards against those decks that you were surprised about?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Made quite tunned version of SFMless Maverick, including advices from last scratch:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 26 Creature
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Noble Hierarch
    2 Lotus Cobra
    3 Tireless Tracker
    2 Renegade Rallier
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Scavenging Ooze

// 1 Enchantment
    1 Sylvan Library

// 6 Instant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay

// 23 Land
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Forest
    4 Wasteland
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Savannah
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Creature
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1 Veteran Explorer

// 5 Instant
    SB: 2 Zealous Persecution
    SB: 2 Blessed Alliance
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction

// 2 Land
    SB: 1 Rogue's Passage
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

// 2 Planeswalker
    SB: 2 Liliana, the Last Hope

// 4 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Cabal Therapy

Important changes:
    Vet/Cabal in SB with Cabal T.Size split. Functional 2 drops back (Scryb + Ooze) to MD, added 2x Abrupt Decay MD. Added an other 5cmc drops since this deck ramp a lot with Cobra / Railler so you fact can GSZ for 5.

SB focused on grindy games. 5 Answers to TNN, can be reassambled if you don't like for example LotH.

Deck is very well equipped vs Moon decks thanks to one Vet in SB and 4 (!) Basics.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

yesterday it was time to try some weired shit and i had a lot of fun and sucsess with following list on our playgroup:
    of course it needs a bit of fine tuning.. but it was better then expected

1 Forrest
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Cradle
    1 Roges Passage

4 Shaman
    3 Hierarch
    1 Bird
    4 Mother
    1 Teeg
    2 Pridemage
    3 Tracker
    3 Thalia Heretic
    2 Leovold
    1 Steel Leaf Champion
    1 Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
    2 Shalai
    1 Gisela

4 Zenith
    4 StP
    1 Crop Rotation

Bizarre list. 8 mana dorks, no thalia guardian, no knight, quad 4-drops. I might have to experiment with that top end you've got there.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Nov 2012

@haganbmj & @valeisdey

normally i play a typical list - but i wanted to test something new (like here - a few cards i would normally not play at tournaments)
    also wanted to test more trackers in the spot of knight of the reliquary.

first wanted to play with vial... but in the end GSZ is just what its all about.
    "it is some kind of reid duke bug list / but in maverick style..."

- turn 1 Manadork into any of the 3-drops were a must answer for them.
    - with 28 creatures i always had enough stuff to blank removal
    - missing small thalias not that much in that fun build (played against ANT as well about 6 games preboard - Teeg turn 2 or shalai turn 3 was enough 3/3 in the end)
    - board states with leo, shalai and mother of runes were incredible
    - steel leaf champion was just a 3 turn clock with muliple exalted effects (and "fly" over strix/drs etc.)
    - i have to try mirri against elves/creature decks more - "could" be good...
    - the crop rotation, if drawn was always used to get cradle or passage
    - shalai is great so far
    - Gisela is bananas with exalted (tryed her because miranda keith mentioned it..)

cons so far:
    - turn 1 mother of runes was not (so) good because i had to wait 2 turns to be able to get a cc-3 creature on board.
    - only 2 pridemage against equipment (have to use them well)
    - no equipment for our own
    - much 2 thoughness creatures (punishing fire could be a real problem)
    - challice on 1 could be a huge problem as well

- dont know how good/bad it is against moon decks - but with that many dorks it can make some work.

maybe bring in 2 Decay in MB instead of Mirri/something else

i have no sideboard figured out yet
    would probably contain 2 blessed alliance, celestrial purge, decays, rec sage, persecution, etc...

Nov 2012

@Fatal: great list (have to get a Titania for my own)
    i tested 3 lotus cobras / 2 Rallier some months ago (turn two cobra/rallier/XXX (Leovold) were great but this happens only every 10 games (round about)
    lotus cobra is a great card - but in testing i was not 100% on it (unfortunate)

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

@Fatal: great list (have to get a Titania for my own)
    i tested 3 lotus cobras / 2 Rallier some months ago (turn two cobra/rallier/XXX (Leovold) were great but this happens only every 10 games (round about)
    lotus cobra is a great card - but in testing i was not 100% on it (unfortunate)
    Thank You for good word! I was seeking good green 2 CMC drop which force opponent removal similar to SFM, Cobra was good enough if not answered you can chain it turn 2 with some 3CMC drop if you have fetchland, more over if not answered in time it's easy to GSZ for sigarda or Titania which put you a lot ahead and at least it's very good engine with tracker where you pay for clue only 1 Mana.

It's great tempo boost if not answered, but it require also draw engine for Mana to keep gaining ahead that tempo all game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Thank You for good word! I was seeking good green 2 CMC drop which force opponent removal similar to SFM, Cobra was good enough if not answered you can chain it turn 2 with some 3CMC drop if you have fetchland, more over if not answered in time it's easy to GSZ for sigarda or Titania which put you a lot ahead and at least it's very good engine with tracker where you pay for clue only 1 Mana.

It's great tempo boost if not answered, but it require also draw engine for Mana to keep gaining ahead that tempo all game.
    With lotus cobra would you say that it usually flies under the radar of the opponent's removal? I had it once and it does win games (especially with crop rotation).

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Actually Lotus Cobra if you have fetchland is mostly cost effective even if killed right away:
    Simply math - you cast it for 2 mana, and regain 1 mana instantly, all removal (except snuff out and conditional submerge) cost not less then 1 mana so it's even.

Update:

played against tuned version of miracles and it was terrible experience. Even with drawing 8 cards from two trackers and ignoring B2B with 4 basics including swamp, I finally couldn't end the game. Couldn't answer Jace, after terminus, protected Teeg was whipped by Council's Judgment, then Sigarda was whipped by second Council's Judgment, after two Supreme Verdicts and another terminuses I started to not having gas. After stream of StP reused with snappy I finally lost.

Game was vs my old friend so we compare decks after. 2CJ, 2 Supreme Verdicts, 3 Terminuses, 4 StP he draw very good but I don't think that creature base deck can win against 4+ wrath effects and 4 point removal with snapcasters. Red splash has pyroblasts which kills Jace very easy, black doesn't have similar. I thinking about Council's Judgment in multiple to resolve this problem.

On the other side of this version became popular we can always pack more chokes on sb which works perfectly after for example verdict. Finally deck with so many dead cards are very soft to combo.
    Last edited by Fatal; 06-08-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Red splash has pyroblasts which kills Jace very easy, black doesn't have similar. I thinking about Council's Judgment in multiple to resolve this problem.
    Black has one answer and green has a few all of which are diverse:

Maelstrom pulse
    Beast within
    Etc.

Those 2 I've been playtesting and beast within does work because it can be used aggressively and defensively.
    Maelstrom pulse is also useful when I've drawn it (hasn't been that often sadly).

Thread Information