Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Black has To the Slaughter

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Sure we can always use only other 3cmc permanent removal but it's Hugh tempo lost compared to pyroblasts/reb.most time you won't have Mana to cast thread and kill Jace in the same turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Sure we can always use only other 3cmc permanent removal but it's Hugh tempo lost compared to pyroblasts/reb.most time you won't have Mana to cast thread and kill Jace in the same turn.
    Quite a few lists dont run red. Like mine is dark blue maverick.

Also pyroblast & REB are very situational. Don't get me wrong, I love those effects (I used to play painter and now have Dragon stompy).

Jace decks normally don’t have a clock at all so you can lose a turn to get rid of their worst threath.

I also suggest a Thrun against them. Miracle has only 3 cards to remove a Thrun (Terminus) and he keeps on coming back via GSZ

So: Thrun or TtS can be both good answers against Jace decks.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Jace decks normally don’t have a clock at all so you can lose a turn to get rid of their worst threath.

I also suggest a Thrun against them. Miracle has only 3 cards to remove a Thrun (Terminus) and he keeps on coming back via GSZ

So: Thrun or TtS can be both good answers against Jace decks.
    I faced Miracles which has 3 terminus, 2 Verdicts, 2 Council Judgement so Trun is a joke vs them - 7 answers (2 conditional).

There’s always song of the dryads + vesuva to get you’re own jace or what not on the board. Though, I imagine one needs crop to reliably get the combo.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Guys I need moral support.

I usually play either Maverick or Aggro Loam in 8 week legacy leagues...

But I have been playing BG slow Depths and RW Taxes lately. The next league starts soon, what should I do?!?!
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post

But I have been playing BG slow Depths and RW Taxes lately. The next league starts soon, what should I do?!?!
    What deck do you feel more comfortable with?

What do you think the meta will be?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Think about meta and odds, if predicted meta is full of lands, D&T and miracles don't play slow depths it's unfavourable. If you predict more 4c and other Bg decks without white try Slow Depths.

Vs miracles Mavericks is still probably best choose from those three decks, second is Aggro loam, but vs that new version with 2 B2B it can be hard, on the other hand you can lock them with fast chalice, which they need to remove with CJ or disenchant.

If predicted meta will be more grixis delver, Aggro loam will be one of the best choose, even after about when they pack Abrade, just have answer vs Angler and everything will be quite easy.

Maverick is still one of the most tuneable deck, so you can adjust it to predicted meta, all thanks to nonlinear. Depths are too linear in my opinion seen too many unwinnable situations, more over slow depths loses the biggest advantage which Turbo depths had - speed which could be useful in matches against combo or semi-combo like burn. I still think R/G lands is best dark depths shell, it has speed thanks to exploration/manabond, good late with loam and cycling lands with punishing engine, and tutors with gamble and crop to answer problems.

That's probably all. Hope I help a little.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Think about meta and odds, if predicted meta is full of lands, D&T and miracles don't play slow depths it's unfavourable. If you predict more 4c and other Bg decks without white try Slow Depths.

Vs miracles Mavericks is still probably best choose from those three decks, second is Aggro loam, but vs that new version with 2 B2B it can be hard, on the other hand you can lock them with fast chalice, which they need to remove with CJ or disenchant.

If predicted meta will be more grixis delver, Aggro loam will be one of the best choose, even after about when they pack Abrade, just have answer vs Angler and everything will be quite easy.

Maverick is still one of the most tuneable deck, so you can adjust it to predicted meta, all thanks to nonlinear. Depths are too linear in my opinion seen too many unwinnable situations, more over slow depths loses the biggest advantage which Turbo depths had - speed which could be useful in matches against combo or semi-combo like burn. I still think R/G lands is best dark depths shell, it has speed thanks to exploration/manabond, good late with loam and cycling lands with punishing engine, and tutors with gamble and crop to answer problems.

That's probably all. Hope I help a little.
    You guys are awesome.

Last 2 leagues I have played:

3 Elves
    2 DnT
    1 Infect
    2 Delver
    1 storm
    2 Depths
    3 Grixis
    1 Czech
    1 UW Stoneblade
    1 Merfolk

The meta is fairly fine, his is just what I have been matched up against.

I have played AggroLoam for half and Maverick for half.

The real problem is that I have been trying to play more “real” decks as I have been playing more and more lately. I am super comfortable with Maverick and have been trying to contribute to the community....I’m really just answering my own question.

I guess what I should be asking is: a tier deck of Maverick? Pet deck vs meta....

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

You guys are awesome.

Last 2 leagues I have played:

3 Elves
    2 DnT
    1 Infect
    2 Delver
    1 storm
    2 Depths
    3 Grixis
    1 Czech
    1 UW Stoneblade
    1 Merfolk

The meta is fairly fine, his is just what I have been matched up against.

I have played AggroLoam for half and Maverick for half.
    [...]

I guess what I should be asking is: a tier deck of Maverick? Pet deck vs meta....
    Maverick is probably tier 2/3 deck if we can define tiers it still has 2-3% of meta.

Those delver in meta are in which colors? Does grixis are controls or tempo decks with delvers?
    Simple meta analysis

17 total decks.
    7 combo decks (1 storm, 3 elves)
    9 decks with wasteland ( if grixis are tempo ) - more then half.
    2 real slow control with Mass removal MD
    3 decks with swords to plowshares
    8 decks without removal MD good for Bob
    12 creatures decks
    3 decks with high artifact density
    2 decks + grixis ? With TNN

Aggro loam looks quite pormising in this meta, alternative is Punishing Maverick. Black variant require dedicated hate against elves and D&T.
    Not too many StP decks but quite a lot of wasteland decks, so DD isn't best choose. Grixis and 4c run nowadays edict effects.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Maverick is probably tier 2/3 deck if we can define tiers it still has 2-3% of meta.

Those delver in meta are in which colors? Does grixis are controls or tempo decks with delvers?
    Simple meta analysis

17 total decks.
    12 creatures decks

Aggro loam looks quite pormising in this meta, alternative is Punishing Maverick. Black variant require dedicated hate against elves and D&T.
    Not too many StP decks but quite a lot of wasteland decks, so DD isn't best choose. Grixis and 4c run nowadays edict effects.
    I have top 8’d with Aggro Loam in the first season and missed my win and in on the second with maverick. So the meta is open to either strategy. Not a lot of Kologans Commands so SFM is live most of the time.

I am currently between Maverick and Slow Depths at this point. I feel really good about the Depths vs Wasteland matchup, including DnT as they can’t really stop the grind plan.

Punishing Fire does wreck most of the format though..... maybe Punishing Mav is the best choice?

Simple meta analysis

17 total decks.
    12 creatures decks

On your last point- most of the times were getting DD it means we have active knight which would beat both edict and wasteland (take an extra turn to wasteland theirs)

@frog seeing as you are asking this in the maverick thread Id assume you like this the most out of your options, so play that =p

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    On your last point- most of the times were getting DD it means we have active knight which would beat both edict and wasteland (take an extra turn to wasteland theirs)

@frog seeing as you are asking this in the maverick thread Id assume you like this the most out of your options, so play that =p
    Lower “tier” decks have much better random conversation. I am also primarily a Maverick player.

As soon as Noble Hierarch is reprinted again and doesn't cost a billion dollars, I'll be joining the Maverick Club, as I feel there are potential metagames on the horizon where this is the better choice compared to DnT, where I am currently spending my time.

Is it too greedy to play Leovold? I've seen some lists play it and it seems good, but I have no context.

Nov 2012
    Freising(Munich), Germany

@Bee - you can always exchange a Tropical Island for a Forrest and play Leovold.
    in the most matchups GSZ x=3 for Kinght is often better than Leovold
    but against Decks like Evles or Control and Cantrip-decks Leo is better to GSZ first.

sad thing about the blue splash is there are no good sideboard cards we could use as well to get some value of our blue sources.
    at least i did not find any mentionable ones (Meddling Mage, Blueblast, Trygon Predator...)

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    As soon as Noble Hierarch is reprinted again and doesn't cost a billion dollars, I'll be joining the Maverick Club, as I feel there are potential metagames on the horizon where this is the better choice compared to DnT, where I am currently spending my time.

Is it too greedy to play Leovold? I've seen some lists play it and it seems good, but I have no context.
    Hey, as a new maverick player I can happily say that you don't need nobles, birds of paradise is better and can be used for blocking giant 20/20s (all day if you have a few mother of runes out.

I am currently on the blue splash for leovold and he is bonkers. He can shut down so many decks and is slight protection against wasteland effects.

With regards to the lack of blue side board cards I found one that I will be testing out, fumble. It could break the grindiness of the mirror match as well as work against several other decks (dnt, stobeblade, deathblade, etc).

What's your list look like?

I just built GWb recently and play tested against grixis delver. Is grixis delver a bad match up? All my creatures just die post board and I just lose to tnn or delver. It also looks like decay is not that good. It can be hard to cast sometimes. Any tips?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    I just built GWb recently and play tested against grixis delver. Is grixis delver a bad match up? All my creatures just die post board and I just lose to tnn or delver. It also looks like decay is not that good. It can be hard to cast sometimes. Any tips?
    What’s your list?

I feel like most Delver lists are heavily favored for the Maverick player.

Thread Information