Round 1: Oops, All Spells! (W 2-1)
    Round 2: BUG Control (W 2-1)
    Round 3: Grixis Delver (W 2-1)
    Round 4: Czech Pile (W 2-0)
    Round 5: MUD Post (W 2-0)
    Round 6: ID
    Round 7: ID
    Quarterfinal: Czech Pile (L 0-2)

Both games of the QF were winnable had I played better, but oh well.
    congrats on the top8 but i was wondering why the split with noble/bird and why not 4 wasteland?

thanks

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Hey all, long-time Maverick player popping my head in. Been off Legacy for a while since there's less activity/tournaments/FNMs these days. I noticed that for a while Maverick was splashing 4c for Leovold (with decent success), and now suddenly I look and I don't see him in lists any more. What changed? I thought he was a nice addition to the deck to combat Elves - our worst MU by far - and make Blue decks play fair against us.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by IanCHarding View Post
    congrats on the top8 but i was wondering why the split with noble/bird and why not 4 wasteland?

thanks
    Noble doesn’t add red and birds fly. The exalted trigger is more important in multiples but sometimes you just need your dork to add red or pick up a sword.

In old school straight GW is was noble all the way, but with she splash for fires red is sometimes needed.

You also mana constrain yourself with the groves package so you usually have to cut utility lands ie wastelands in this case to make room.

I have seen lists with only 2 groves or no other utility lands but a 3/3 split seems nice as well.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    What are your tips and tricks when you are playing against miracles? Whenever I play against them they always seem to have the answers and stall out long enough to win.
    This is from Julian Knab with his elves list, but the idea is to prey on the fact that Miracles doesn’t actually run that many real cards anymore.

Bring in your black cards with the goal to extract either terminus or swords and they will not have enough actual spells to kill your team. Extract swords Mom+Teeg, Choke, Thoughtsieze, Bitterblossom, Tracker, Library plus equipment and everything else you want to do.

They don’t have a real way to punish us enough or lock us down anymore without Counterbalance. A quick Jace can be an issue but if he doesn’t have removal to find then what can he actually do?
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    I made Top8 at the the Giga-Bites Legacy Quarterly over the weekend.
    Congrats on the finish, it was nice to see Maverick do well - I chickened out of playing Maverick in the days leading up to the event.

The recording of your quarterfinals match is going up on Youtube, if it ever finishes "Processing".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaIfYZEj9L4
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

I made Top8 at the the Giga-Bites Legacy Quarterly over the weekend. List:

Creature Spells (21)
    4x Mother of Runes
    3x Noble Hierarch
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    2x Qasali Pridemage
    2x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scryb Ranger
    4x Knight of the Reliquary

Noncreature Spells (15)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Punishing Fire
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Lands (23)
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    2x Savannah
    2x Taiga
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    1x Karakas
    3x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy

SB: 2x Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2x Choke
    SB: 2x Crop Rotation
    SB: 2x Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1x Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1x Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1x Voice of Resurgence
    SB: 1x Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 1x Wear / Tear
    SB: 1x Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

There were 91 players so 7 rounds of swiss. Here's how my matches went:

Round 1: Oops, All Spells! (W 2-1)
    Round 2: BUG Control (W 2-1)
    Round 3: Grixis Delver (W 2-1)
    Round 4: Czech Pile (W 2-0)
    Round 5: MUD Post (W 2-0)
    Round 6: ID
    Round 7: ID
    Quarterfinal: Czech Pile (L 0-2)

Both games of the QF were winnable had I played better, but oh well.
    Nice! I need to get out to the quarterly but am not on Facebook and don't know when anything is happening ever.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Started looking at what I am missing to do Maverick possibly for Richmond, and turns out I have no Bayou...

Then I looked at the price of Bayou... (online player mostly now a days)

AAAANNNNNNDDDD I am not going to be playing B splash :(
    Looking more, Grove has gotten cheaper so maybe I can do GWr Punishing. Does that still need a Bayou for DRS or is it something I can just swing with BoP, Grove, no DRS, no Noble?

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    Started looking at what I am missing to do Maverick possibly for Richmond, and turns out I have no Bayou...

Looking more, Grove has gotten cheaper so maybe I can do GWr Punishing. Does that still need a Bayou for DRS or is it something I can just swing with BoP, Grove, no DRS, no Noble?
    What's the rest of your deck like? You can run scrubland, overgrown tomb or basic swamp for the black splash

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

You can play Naya with just the 4 Birds. If doing this, make sure you play 3 Equips, and check out spells since you'll be able to consistently cast them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Gronder sounds like a dating app for people who play Knight of the Reliquary.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

You can play Naya with just the 4 Birds. If doing this, make sure you play 3 Equips, and check out spells since you'll be able to consistently cast them.
    Yea playing Naya is tempting, lets me look into GR fun things to splash for GSZ. Also I don't know WHAT I have, I need to take better inventory to see what I have and what I am missing. If I don't have SFM then it is probably out of the question.

The fallback is RUG Delver, which is... fine... just... not my baby.

...no DRS...
    No more forever
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

So Wasteland gets a lot better now. Those three color decks are losing a mana fixer.

My best guess is the 4c Leovold, Punishing Dack, etc. style decks all need to cut colors. Maybe U/R Delver is not the most popular deck?

Reanimator decks probably get a lot more popular now, so that should be interesting.

Do we just replace DRS with Birds and move on as normal?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by delfam View Post
    So Wasteland gets a lot better now. Those three color decks are losing a mana fixer.

My best guess is the 4c Leovold, Punishing Dack, etc. style decks all need to cut colors. Maybe U/R Delver is not the most popular deck?

Reanimator decks probably get a lot more popular now, so that should be interesting.

KotR als doesn't get nerfed by hungry DRS anymore. That's pretty huge.

Quote Originally Posted by delfam View Post

I am playing punishing M. right now...my initial thought was to replace DRS with Birds...

Quote Originally Posted by swordoffireandice View Post
    I am playing punishing M. right now...my initial thought was to replace DRS with Birds...
    You can replace DRS with BoP or go up to the full four NH. Two out of three colors ain't bad and the trigger is relevant.

Others have tested which of the two dorks is better. My recollection is that NH>BoP, but it's going to be a matter of preference.

Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    You can replace DRS with BoP or go up to the full four NH. Two out of three colors ain't bad and the trigger is relevant.

Others have tested which of the two dorks is better. My recollection is that NH>BoP, but it's going to be a matter of preference.
    For me it's going to be 2-3 birds, a lotus cobra and maybe a crop rotation. But the 4th GSZ may be needed to grab scooze

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

So Maverick’s probably solid moving forward, but I assume we’re gonna need to load up on grave hate in the board. What do you all like? Some options:
    - Bog
    - Tormod’s
    - Leyline
    - RIP
    - Surgical
    - Scooze

(I’ve been on 4 DRS main, with 3 Surgical and 1 Scooze in the board. I’m personally gonna start by adding 1 Bog and 1 Tormod’s to the board.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    So Maverick’s probably solid moving forward, but I assume we’re gonna need to load up on grave hate in the board. What do you all like? Some options:
    - Bog
    - Tormod’s
    - Leyline
    - RIP
    - Surgical
    - Scooze

(I’ve been on 4 DRS main, with 3 Surgical and 1 Scooze in the board. I’m personally gonna start by adding 1 Bog and 1 Tormod’s to the board.)
    Currently I have 4 Drs, 1 scooze, 1 bog main and 3 leyline and 1 surgical side (I will probably leave it as is minus the Drs). My benefit is that I run crops so have instant gy hate when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    For me it's going to be 2-3 birds, a lotus cobra and maybe a crop rotation. But the 4th GSZ may be needed to grab scooze
    Just bought the three NH I needed to complete the set ($60 each, natch.) Probably 2 BoP and 4 NH for me. Really looking forward to stacking multiple exalt triggers honestly.

Nov 2016
    New Hampshire

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking about the future metagame now that DRS (and probe) is banned. These are my brief initial thoughts:

Losers
    Grixis Delver - this deck should be dead after losing up to 8 main deck cards.
    4c Pile - no deck can be this greedy with its mana now. Wondering if players might turn to 3-color controlling shells instead.
    Elves - a slight hit, as DRS provided some reach and resilience against -1/-1 effects.

Mixed
    Maverick - KotR just got way better, but losing our only source of reach hurts
    Storm - Loss of probe hurts, but not having to face casual GY hate from DRS somewhat mitigates this
    Mono-Red Stompy - fewer decks with t1 mana creature helps, but maybe fewer greedy manabases

Winners
    Miracles - I think Miracles will now retake its place as the top deck in Legacy without Pile decks to grind it out so effectively
    Lands - Now they can dredge loam, rebuy their lands, and have PFire sit in the GY unmolested forever
    Aggro Loam - Same thing as Lands
    Dredge, Reanimator - duh, even though DRS was hardly sufficient to combat these stupid decks
    Goblins - DRS will no longer just stonewall Lackey

Decks that may become decks again
    RUG Delver might come back, as threshold will be way easier to achieve
    U/R Delver seems reasonable, though maybe not in a world without Probe
    I could see more people picking up something like Bant Stoneblade, with TNN (and less likely Leovold)

Other thoughts
    -I think the obvious initial direction for Maverick is just to swap in Nobles. This would make us more of a beatdown deck with exalted triggers.
    -Swapping Nobles for DRS is going to make -1/-1 effects hurt way more.
    -Cavern of Souls might be a thing for us now.
    -It's possible that Stoneforge Mystic gets a lot better in a world with fewer K-Commands in it.
    -It's possible we will want to start running a few extra GY hate spots in the side. I've always been partial to RIP, but it felt bad being in a DRS/knight deck.
    -That new dino in the upcoming Core set probably isn't good enough for legacy without DRS around, but who knows?
    -It could be reasonable to eliminate the black splash entirely without DRS. The mana would get way easier, but the combo matchups would likely suffer .

Thread Information