Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 752

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

  1. #661
    What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh?
    menloe's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2016
    Location

    ALA-BAM
    Posts

    69

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    I know you guys talk alot about the punishing version but I personally think I would prefer Dark Maverick. Zealous Persecution + Thoughtseize gives the deck some really strong tools to fight combo on T1 or sweep the board from DnT, Elves or some Bant´ish Stoneblade TNN decks...
    To be clear, I think Pun and Dark Mav both are going to be better positioned now than they were last week. I'll keep playing both depending on how I feel week to week. ZP and Thoughtseize are both great cards for the reasons you say and will continue to be the reason to play GWb.

    I think Thalia 2.0 is the real deal. I try to run at least one of her in all my decks - she steals games away from Elves, which they never expect, and my in-store rival is an Elves player - and she has good stats. The fact that she messes with opponents' mana is good stuff too, especially in a world where Wasteland is better. (Your reasoning all looks right to me.)

    I'm probably more inclined to run multiple Mindcensors now too. Historically, about 75% of my decks have had at least one and I only recently moved away from it. Mindcensor is good against a lot of bad match ups that rely on tutoring - Storm, Reanimator, Elves - and practically every deck fetches, but it feels like I'm the only one who's hyped on the card.

    SFM is the first card I cut when trying new things out. To be completely honest, the card is fine, but I'm never that happy to draw one except in instances where I need an equipment to win or lose a game over the next two turns. I'm usually content to just naturally draw my equips, which are 1 Jitte and 1 SoFI. I was never so concerned with KC, just thought she was a little slow.

    The paper list I'm running now has Rallier, Sylvan Library + Courser, Tireless Tracker, Gaea's Cradle, 2 SFM + above equips, Ramunap. I want all the good value cards and synergies and really enjoy outdrawing blue decks. I prefer Cradle in a deck that runs Tracker for that reason. I'll add back Thalia 2.0 (probably two) and some Mindcensors, probably cutting the SFM and Rallier. Garruk's in the side for now, but he's been maindeck before and will be again.

    FWIW, I prefer your second list. Sylvan Library is never flex.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

  2. #662
    What's taters, precious? What's taters, eh?
    menloe's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2016
    Location

    ALA-BAM
    Posts

    69

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutao View Post
    Is new Ajani too slow? Maybe it's just a worse kaya...
    Which new Ajani?

    Ajani, Life Coach is not great.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

  3. #663

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Hey guys. I've been reading here for a long time.
    After this weeks bannings, there are two lists I put up togheter by reading some of the discussion here and some lists posted here.

    First one is Punishing Mav:
    Maindeck:
    23 Lands
    3 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Horizon Canopy
    2 Savannah
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Plateau
    2 Taiga
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows

    16 Non-creatures
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Punishing Fire
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

    21 Creatures
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

    Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Council's Judgement
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sanctum Prelate

    Here I don't know if the lone SoFaI would work. It's a hedge against TNN decks, but maybe without SFM it's too random. Testing 3 Big Thalia here, since 2mana Thalia with PFire is weird and, as I have liked her a lot in Modern, maybe that works here (as you guys were discussing earlier). Don't know if 3 is the right number, tho.

    Next one is straight GW:
    Maindeck:
    23 Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Maze of Ith

    12 Non-Creatures
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

    25 Creatures
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

    Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Cannonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Council's Judgement
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sanctum Prelate

    Here I don't know about GQ and the 2nd Canopy. GQ + Excavator seems cute, but maybe not worth it to have another colorless land. I could swap it and the 2nd Canopy for 2 Caverns. I'm not running the lone SoFaI here, with a Gideon instead. Maybe that could work better on the other list also. And I'm running both Thalias as 3of here, but if Heretic Cathar doesn't work out as intended, I'll go back to 4 SFM + 3 Equips shaving 2 more cards.

  4. #664

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by r497 View Post
    Here I don't know about GQ and the 2nd Canopy. GQ + Excavator seems cute, but maybe not worth it to have another colorless land. I could swap it and the 2nd Canopy for 2 Caverns. I'm not running the lone SoFaI here, with a Gideon instead. Maybe that could work better on the other list also. And I'm running both Thalias as 3of here, but if Heretic Cathar doesn't work out as intended, I'll go back to 4 SFM + 3 Equips shaving 2 more cards.
    Ghost quarter can help you get the coloured mana you need with you running 3 basics. It's also really potent against most decks so acts like another wasteland.

  5. #665
    Member
    Manipulato's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2013
    Location

    Kempten, Germany
    Posts

    480

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Hey guys,

    nor reports to share from last weekend or playtesting vs the new metagame so far ?

    My own tournament will be in 2 weeks so till then I have nothing to share but I´m building and goldfishing daily
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

  6. #666

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Hey guys,

    nor reports to share from last weekend or playtesting vs the new metagame so far ?

    My own tournament will be in 2 weeks so till then I have nothing to share but I´m building and goldfishing daily
    I'm playing a blue splash for Leo in Dark Maverick and went 2-0-1 at a weekly. Beat Lands, Beat Grixis Control, Drew with Burn.

    Honestly I'm thinking that I cut Leovold and Tropical Island for one of the following

    -3rd Stoneforge and Bskull
    -3rd Stoneforge and Sword of Light and Shadow
    -Bayou and Tireless Tracker
    -Bayou and 2nd Scooze in the Main
    -Bayou and Mirri Weatherlight Duelist (Card seems interesting)

    Playing Leovold on T2 is still very powerful, but it feels like the manabase is a bit too fragile for my liking.

    What do you guys think?

  7. #667

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by menloe View Post
    Which new Ajani?

    Ajani, Life Coach is not great.
    Ajani, Adversay of Tyrants?

    Bringing back a Teeg or a Scooze sounds reasonable.

  8. #668
    Member
    bakofried's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts

    752

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    This Tuesday I played a pretty stock GW Maverick in a local. Just 10 people, nothing huge, but I took 1st with a record of 3-0-1. Played against Miracles R1, which I drew against, but I probably could have won had I not made a few small play errors. R2 I played against Burn, which I beat 2-0. Cradle was crucial both games, letting me hold onto lands while still generating heaps of mana. R3 I played against a Junk pile, which I beat 2-0 with equipment and a leaner curve. R4 I played against BUG Thresh, and was able to win 2-0 mostly because of Sylvan Library and a robust manabase. I don't think I can overstate how nice it feels to have a rock solid manabase.

    My sideboard:
    4x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Garruk Relentless
    1x Sanctum Prelate
    1x Council's Judgement
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Krosan Grip
    2x Blessed Alliance
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

  9. #669

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Played without deathrites last week and this week at our legacy locals, going 3-1 and 3-0-1. Loss was to miracles and draw was to the same player on miracles again who is a friend and just offered a draw this time because tired.

    First week I played this list below and started off 6-0 in games beating Death and Taxes, ANT, Steel Stompy, then getting 2-0'd by miracles.

    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 MarshFlats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    -23-

    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    -10-

    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    -27-

    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Surgical Extraction
    -15-

    So I cut the Stage/Depths for another mana land just to make my deck more consistent (9 fetches is probably too many but I realistically never want to buy another beta dual) and I also played Heretic Cathars just to be all in on my mana denial gameplan. She performed well but I noticed I ran out of cards a lot faster than I wanted to even in the games I won, especially as Nobles/Bird is a lot less of a card than DRS if that makes sense. Bird has been really lackluster, people always say "it holds equipment well" but almost anything holds a sword well and it doesn't hold a Jitte all that well and that's 50% of my equipment =/. I've been more careful about leaning on black in Wasteland matchups so against DNT I decided not to bring in any copies of Thoughtseize which left me going -3 Thalia -1 Teeg +2 Decay +2 Zealous which left a Thalia and a SOFI in my deck which isn't the worst but meh. All this led me to make these changes for the second (this) week:

    -3 Heretic Cathar
    +1 Sylvan Library
    +1 Tireless Tracker
    +1 Renegade Rallier (place holder for Runic Armasaur <3)

    -1 SB Surgical Extraction
    +1 SB Sword of Light and Shadow

    Changes worked well, granted haven't needed to cast a Surgical either week (I cast it once against ANT during his draw step to hit Infernal Tutor and his draw was Dark Petition, but he died off the Ad Naus IIRC). This week I beat Pox, TES, and RUG Delver. TES player got unlucky where I mulled to 3 but his hand was so slow he died to my Qasali Pridemage, mother of runes, dryad arbor beats (my mulligan to 4 was 2 lands, birds, jitte which I might've kept if it was a noble lol). Game 2 He thoughtseizes my hand of double thalia, zenith, zealous, pridemage takes the zenith but Thalia comes down and then he's stuck on 1 land plays LED which gets pridemage'd and then I topdeck canonist after so pretty unlucky opponent.

  10. #670
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2010
    Location

    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts

    539

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    I will try to update primer after ban, contributors please do the same.

  11. #671

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    I have found that with DRS replaced by other mana dorks that my mana has become more consistent. This is due to DRS needing lands in gys and no active Drs on the opponent's side.

    Because of this I have been testing 2 spicy blue cards in the side for the increased number of dnt type decks.

  12. #672

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Blue against DnT? It’s the color that most suffer Taxation

  13. #673

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    I have found that with DRS replaced by other mana dorks that my mana has become more consistent. This is due to DRS needing lands in gys and no active Drs on the opponent's side.

    Because of this I have been testing 2 spicy blue cards in the side for the increased number of dnt type decks.
    Fumble/Grip of Phyresis :^)?

  14. #674

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Fumble/Grip of Phyresis :^)?
    Yeah fumble haha. I believe it's worth testing because it does have other applications (the mirror, Lands, turbo depths, stoneblade, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Blue against DnT? It’s the color that most suffer Taxation
    I only have 3 cards in the 75 that have blue in their cost, and are all useful against DnT

  15. #675

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    Yeah fumble haha. I believe it's worth testing because it does have other applications (the mirror, Lands, turbo depths, stoneblade, etc).



    I only have 3 cards in the 75 that have blue in their cost, and are all useful against DnT
    Fumble gets awk a bit vs TNN/SOFI/Active mom, but I love the card. Some sweet christmasland tech is if they have a first striker holding Jitte and they swing with some dudes you can let it hit you, Jitte trigger on the stack fumble the guy holding it, put it on another attacker of theirs and own a jitte with 4 counters which is pretty gg vs DNT ;3

  16. #676

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Fumble gets awk a bit vs TNN/SOFI/Active mom, but I love the card. Some sweet christmasland tech is if they have a first striker holding Jitte and they swing with some dudes you can let it hit you, Jitte trigger on the stack fumble the guy holding it, put it on another attacker of theirs and own a jitte with 4 counters which is pretty gg vs DNT ;3
    It can get awkward but I reckon it's worth it. There's no need to let it hit you because in response they'll gain life or shrink your guy. It can be useful against mom because you block they make it pro blocker (e.g. green) you bounce in response :P

  17. #677

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    It can get awkward but I reckon it's worth it. There's no need to let it hit you because in response they'll gain life or shrink your guy. It can be useful against mom because you block they make it pro blocker (e.g. green) you bounce in response :P
    You gain control of jitte with the ability to add counters on it on the stack.

  18. #678

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    You gain control of jitte with the ability to add counters on it on the stack.
    In response (if they know what fumble does) theyd just use the counters to prevent us being able to use them

  19. #679

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    In response (if they know what fumble does) theyd just use the counters to prevent us being able to use them
    They hit us, there is a trigger on the stack to put counters onto Jitte, with this trigger on the stack cast Fumble, you gain control of jitte, then put the counters on it.

  20. #680

    Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

    Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    They hit us, there is a trigger on the stack to put counters onto Jitte, with this trigger on the stack cast Fumble, you gain control of jitte, then put the counters on it.
    Good thinking, sorry I totally forgot about the ability to react to the trigger haha. I like that play a lot

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)