Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Hey guys- after playing a bunch of combo last night, I’m wondering if with the blue splash it’s possible to consider meddling mage for the SB- would obviously need 2-3 blue lands to pull off, so I’m not sure if it’s feasable with the wasteland suite. Boy would I love to slam one turn two and name show and tell (barring counters) or tendrils or whatever. Seems like it’s a worthy consideration.

On another note, does anybody use any creature tutor cards like worldly tutor in their board? Would be great to run 1 to tutor for canonist, priest, Thalia, any of the creatures we run that aren’t green. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught33 View Post
    Hey guys- after playing a bunch of combo last night, I’m wondering if with the blue splash it’s possible to consider meddling mage for the SB- would obviously need 2-3 blue lands to pull off, so I’m not sure if it’s feasable with the wasteland suite. Boy would I love to slam one turn two and name show and tell (barring counters) or tendrils or whatever. Seems like it’s a worthy consideration.

On another note, does anybody use any creature tutor cards like worldly tutor in their board? Would be great to run 1 to tutor for canonist, priest, Thalia, any of the creatures we run that aren’t green. Thanks!
    I personally think Teeg is s better 2 drop and Zenithable. I’d rather play flusterstorm if I am going to play blue combo hate, as you can drop it turn one, and that’s where we are weakest.

And also I find most lists pretty tight to include another tutor package, and typically there isn’t a huge white suite in Maverick. So I think it’s just better to run Thalia/ Mom as a 4 of and some number of cannonist/ priest in the side, rather than run less and slow yourself down with a another tutor. But probably worth a try, if you end up testing this I’d love to hear the results.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty744 View Post
    I personally think Teeg is s better 2 drop and Zenithable. I’d rather play flusterstorm if I am going to play blue combo hate, as you can drop it turn one, and that’s where we are weakest.

And also I find most lists pretty tight to include another tutor package, and typically there isn’t a huge white suite in Maverick. So I think it’s just better to run Thalia/ Mom as a 4 of and some number of cannonist/ priest in the side, rather than run less and slow yourself down with a another tutor. But probably worth a try, if you end up testing this I’d love to hear the results.
    We don't need more hatebears. We have Canonist, Thalia, gaddock, priest, even revoker. We have discard from black color, so last option is permission:
    - pyroblasts, red elemental blast from red splash
    - flusterstorm from Blue splash.
    I don't think we need more hatebears: more diversity, to not lose to single sweeper.

Have you tried Sanctum Prelate? This card has been kind to me. I play punishing mav with Drs and I really like Reb too. I also like Crop Rotation in the board if you run Dark Depths main deck and a Bog in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    We don't need more hatebears. We have Canonist, Thalia, gaddock, priest, even revoker. We have discard from black color, so last option is permission:
    - pyroblasts, red elemental blast from red splash
    - flusterstorm from Blue splash.
    I don't think we need more hatebears: more diversity, to not lose to single sweeper.
    Couldn’t agree more, haven’t tried pyroblast, but I imagine it’s probably just a little worse than flusterstorm. I think ill give it a shot next week.

I like the idea of flusterstorm, and I’ve read up a bit on it— can anybody in here who uses it explain their experience with it? How many to do run? Do you leave it in on the play AND draw vs combo? Bring it in vs other decks? Is it even worth running at all? I’m going to test with it, but I value the veteran experience and opinions in here the most.

I like the idea of flusterstorm, and I’ve read up a bit on it— can anybody in here who uses it explain their experience with it? How many to do run? Do you leave it in on the play AND draw vs combo? Bring it in vs other decks? Is it even worth running at all? I’m going to test with it, but I value the veteran experience and opinions in here the most.
    Not really relevant today but I've tested a SB blue dual and spell pierces before but this was back in 201...2? Before DRS was printed and the deck was just G/W so we didn't have thoughtseize. I find the proactive discard to be way better vs combo decks, especially storm as they still keep in discard against you, and although they won't name flusterstorm they have chances of seeing it with Probe/Therapy.

If you already have blue for Leovold then some counterspells seem fine as another angle of protection, none of you guys likes Spell Pierce? Hits Jace, EE, and some other pesky cards fluster doesn't and will still get the job done against storm most of the time. But you lose the combo of "draw into flusterstorm with Leovold, flusterstorm the rest of your tendrils" so there's that I guess. With that said I'm not the biggest fan of leaving up mana in this deck as most of our stuff is sorcery speed.

Personally I'm going back to a G/W maindeck (other than DRS) and just keeping the deck consistent, despite how good Thoughtseize has been in the maindeck and the extra SB slots it's given me, it makes your land drops awk sometimes (but I'm sure I'll come back to it MD in the future)

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I played 3x spell Pierce back in mental misstep era, was great vs walkers and combo, I didn't test spell Pierce and t.size.

Apr 2017
    Santa Barbara, California

Speaking of tutor effects, has anyone found success with enlightened tutor? I know it's more of a pikula/dead guy ale/junk strategy, but is it viable to sculpt the sideboard around enlightened tutor?
    My experience with the card has led me to believe that it's effective against combo. It's clearly a form of card disadvantage, and it's a deplorable strategy against tempo strategies.
    Regardless, I really enjoy being able to tutor canonist against storm, or engineered plague versus elves, or rest in peace even against dredge and reanimator.
    But these combo decks are clearly terrible match ups, and perhaps these slots should be dedicated to winning against the fair match ups.
    So, does anyone have some insights or experiences they would like to share regarding enlightened tutor in the sideboard of our beloved maverick deck?
    MTGO: Cucaracha_Gigante
    Currently Playing:
    Maverick. D&T.
    Reanimator.
    BURN.

Quote Originally Posted by Boneflute View Post
    Speaking of tutor effects, has anyone found success with enlightened tutor? I know it's more of a pikula/dead guy ale/junk strategy, but is it viable to sculpt the sideboard around enlightened tutor?
    My experience with the card has led me to believe that it's effective against combo. It's clearly a form of card disadvantage, and it's a deplorable strategy against tempo strategies.
    Regardless, I really enjoy being able to tutor canonist against storm, or engineered plague versus elves, or rest in peace even against dredge and reanimator.
    But these combo decks are clearly terrible match ups, and perhaps these slots should be dedicated to winning against the fair match ups.
    So, does anyone have some insights or experiences they would like to share regarding enlightened tutor in the sideboard of our beloved maverick deck?
    Etutor has been good to me in the past. I played it in punishing maverick and did not play Thalia. The package I ran most of the time was Null Rod, Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker, Engineered plague, Oblivian Ring, Ethersworn Canonist, Tormods Crypt, and occasionally I would add cards like Choke, Engineered Explosives, Circle of Protection: Red, Humility, Aura of Science and even Worship when eldrazi was big.

Overall I liked it, but I feel like with Thalia it's not needed. Thalia makes it very expensive and after all, it is card disadvantage. It's only worth brining in against combo decks as 1 card can beat certain combo decks, but against other decks, the card disadvantage is too big to overcome. If combo is prevalent, perhaps it's worth considering. I have never tested this card with success with Thalia in my deck.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I like Enlightened Tutor over a second Ethersworn Canonist, since it evades t1 discard otp vs storm and it's useful for getting Plague, especially vs TES the flexibility of the card in getting Canonist or Plague (before or after goblins) is great, also getting Canonist into your hand can be great vs Show and Tell; second reason I play it is for an extra virtual copy of Plague vs Elves (or potentially Humility, I don't usually play it though); third reason is an extra virtual copy of Rest in Peace, also through t1 discard, vs Dredge, Reanimator and Lands. Then there can be corner cases of getting Choke when a combo player is tapped out, Pithing Needle vs whatever. I'm not convinced it's better than doubling up on Canonist but it's what I usually play. I don't think you should give up on the combo matchup, and a tutor board helps increase chances to find answers if they don't have a t1 win.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Ok let's try to create open field SB for Dark Leo Maverick or just GWbu Maverick.
    Let say MD contains 1 Qasali, 1 Railler, 1 Decay, Ooze, 3-4 shamans and 4 thalia's.

//Storm, S&T, Controls, Infect, Elves, Big Eldrazi
    3 Thoughtsieze
    //Split 2/1 maybe less?
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstorm
    //Storm, Elves, Omni - maybe it's time to drop Canonist and focus //on more proactive plays like upper with Gaddock/Thalia backup?
    // Vs Elves I use Granger and it's much better
    1 Ethersworn Canonist / Reclamation Sage?

//TNN, Grixis Tempo, D&T, Infect
    2 Zealous Persecution

//Tempo, Elves any creature base decks
    2 Blessed Alliance/Abrupt Decay/Fatal Push?

//Slow controls, Czech Pile and UW
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Garruk Rentless
    1 ??? / Shapers' Sanctuary

Creating perfect SB on open field is instant failure, better predict vs what you can play and what tools you need, don't try to win every known matchup.

What is missing in upper sb:
    - Fast Graveyard Hate vs BR Reanimator, not sure is it worth 3 slots to have impact, mostly dead vs other matchup, you still have decent chances if you win a dice roll with siezes and counters.

- Better Late Game vs Czech Pile/Uw
    1 more card-carrying this MU, probably walker, I was looking for any good walkers for 3 Mana but only Liliana has decent options(3rd in SB is overkill), I also try Domi Rade, but after SB my 28/61 creature count drops to about 20-22 so it's bad choose. Second Garruk would be also not bad but I don't like it's low loyalty count, bolt/K.command can easy kill it. Elspeth is nice but WW is not easy sometimes to handle along with BB in Liliana cost. Was thinking also about Bitterblossom and. Tried small Leo enchantment was 50/50 if opponent had enough counters for lower thread density it's not great.

- More artifact/enchantment removal is needed vs D&T and some random Brown Stax/Robots/Big eldrazi. 2 x Abrupt Decay can resolve this problem but would be useless vs Turbo Depths or Lands or TNN where Edict effect will be better.
    Note that 4 color deck can be easy hit by Moon effects or Price of Progress.. so more B removal mean we should start to think about basic swamp MD, which I tested and mostly hated.

Quote Originally Posted by loonybob123 View Post
    I'm at a lost in my current meta which is super heavy on delver and UW miracles whether to run punishing fire version or dark maverick I feel like the P fires give me so much grind potential against the delver decks but sometimes I really want access to the black sideboard options.

It doesn't help that I jam DD combo into the deck also. I tried 4 color briefly but that mana was way too shaky. I just really don't like the counter synergy of DRS with knight and especially against opposing DRS Ive run into a couple situations where we run out of lands to eat and not only do I have a dork who can't make mana but my knights are tiny.
    This is honestly a very tough question. I've played both variants and while I personally enjoy playing Punishing Maverick a lot more, I'd have to say it's probably best to go with Dark Maverick just because of the Miracles players.

The thing is that Punishing Maverick doesn't really have a solid out to Monastery Mentor, and Mentor will run away with the game if you let him. If you try to Punishing Fire it they can just cantrip or whatever in response and if you swords it they'll just negate that. On the other hand Dark Maverick gives you access to Abrupt Decay which not only kills their Mentor but also kills Counterbalance (which has relatively recently found its way back into Miracles lists). Also Bob is fantastic against Miracles.

You are right in saying that the Punishing Fire version has a great grind game against Delver decks. Having a recurrable way to pop Delver and Deathrite Shaman is really nice especially since people generally will not counter Punishing Fire unless they're in some sort of extremely drastic situation. That being said Dark Maverick is still decent against Delver and if there are a lot of Miracles players running Dark Maverick will make your life easier.

Also, if there's a fair bit of combo running around, Dark Maverick has a better matchup into most if not all combo decks than Punishing just because of having access to discard (and having less dead cards in the maindeck game 1).

For those of you that play Dark Maverick, how many confidants do you usually have in the main? I've always been on the GWb build but never considered playing them until now so I'm wondering how many are needed to see an impact on most games.

Also, my meta seems to be filled with UW control decks atm so I'm trying to fit Garruk Relentless in the side. The only cards I think I can live without are Library and Choke but both of them are also very good in the MU. I have never used it so is Garruk superior enough that replacing either would be worth it or should I stick to my two enchantments.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    For those of you that play Dark Maverick, how many confidants do you usually have in the main? I've always been on the GWb build but never considered playing them until now so I'm wondering how many are needed to see an impact on most games.

Also, my meta seems to be filled with UW control decks atm so I'm trying to fit Garruk Relentless in the side. The only cards I think I can live without are Library and Choke but both of them are also very good in the MU. I have never used it so is Garruk superior enough that replacing either would be worth it or should I stick to my two enchantments.
    I'd say 1-2 max, 2 if you don't mind seeing it more often.

I would try 3 the first time your go out with it, to see how it impacts your games, as you’ll probably get to play it at least 1-2 times vs. each deck you play against, then move down depending on how it performs. It’s an awesome card, as it is a big threat against most fair decks, especially miracles, and only cost 1B.

There's room for all three. I run two Choke sideboard (Pun Mav and GWb) and have run Sylvan Library in the main deck and sideboard at different times (Pun Mav and GWb) and Garruk (GWb) in the main deck. I used to split Garruk/Elspeth, but I like having two Garruk in the main now.

There's a lot you can fiddle with to fit these cards. I cut SFM, which is two to three slots, and just run the equipment. I'm on five mana dorks instead of six: DRSx3, NH, and BoP. If I run Garruk, I drop whatever one-of three drop I was horsing around with the week prior and sometimes move Library to the side. Probably there is a main deck cut you could make to facilitate Garruk's inclusion without jettisoning your enchantments.

My meta is grindier than a 1990s high school dance so keep that in mind.
    Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003

Still in the 90s, Tony Hawk Pro Skater had some serious grinds too

I'm trying 1of safekeeper atm but I'll definitely try 2-3 confidants since I want to fine-tune to this white and removal infested meta.

Nov 2017
    Los Angeles

Definitely curious about the blue splash for Leo. If I was only going to try a singleton copy, would I even need a blue dual? Would the Deathrites, Hierarch, and GSZs be enough? I'd rather pick up a Cradle over a blue dual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nekro View Post
    Definitely curious about the blue splash for Leo. If I was only going to try a singleton copy, would I even need a blue dual? Would the Deathrites, Hierarch, and GSZs be enough? I'd rather pick up a Cradle over a blue dual.
    You can try it. Do keep in mind that Deathrite eats removal like crazy and GSZ won't do anything if you draw the singleton copy though. I'm sure you'll be fine overall but no blue land will screw you a few games.

Thread Information