Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Re: [Primer] Maverick 2.0 - GW/x

Pretty anecdotal, but at a recent 7 rounds tournament I only ever cast Leovold off of the trop.
    I used to think I'd be fine without it, but after that I'm not so sure.

Does anybody have a punishing fire build that they’ve had success with? Thinking it might be good with the meta leaning heavily on shaman/delver right now but I could be completely off base here.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5011 View Post
    Does anybody have a punishing fire build that they’ve had success with? Thinking it might be good with the meta leaning heavily on shaman/delver right now but I could be completely off base here.
    This is my current list. I am trying Thalia main deck, but I don't normally play it main deck. The addition of the planeswalker in my board is because of the number of miracle players and 4cc players in my meta game. I've been playing punishing maverick for many years and the deck has plenty of room for tweaking cards for a given meta game.

Maindeck (60)
    1 Birds of Paradise
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Bayou
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Ajani Vengeant
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog

Don't you miss the sofi? Having a way to attack through TNN and having a mom protected from pfire at all times still seems very good.

I guess cutting it means you can cut SFM since you don't have the need for a toolbox equip package anymore. I'm thinking about replacing 2 SFM with 2 BoBs and running 1 more jitte might be good enough..

I find the best way around TNN is a Jitte on a bird or scryb, or just waiting for them to swing so you can strike back with the Jitte on a non flying creature and negate their attack. I’m not totally sold on hierarch yet, I feel bird is just better.

I can see two Jitte over Sofi, Sofi always seems “win more”, whereas Jitte helps you take back a board state where you’re behind.

Disclaimer: It is hard to get a bird to activate Jitte, so heirarch is good at that, but I play 2 Pridemage to help with that.

This is the list I'm using for a jump off point not ever playing the deck. I have only played it the last 2 weeks at my LGS. Been having a hard time with new miracles, grixis delver.

Creatures (22)
    1*Birds of Paradise
    3*Deathrite Shaman
    4*Knight of the Reliquary
    4*Mother of Runes
    1*Noble Hierarch
    2*Qasali Pridemage
    1*Ramunap Excavator
    1*Scavenging Ooze
    1*Scryb Ranger
    2*Stoneforge Mystic
    1*Gaddock Teeg
    1*Dryad Arbor
    Lands (23)
    1*Forest
    1*Plains
    1*Bayou
    3*Grove of the Burnwillows
    1*Plateau
    2*Savannah
    1*Taiga
    1*Thespian's Stage
    3*Wasteland
    4*Windswept Heath
    3*Wooded Foothills
    1*Karakas
    1*Dark Depths

Spells (15)
    1*Sword of Fire and Ice
    1*Sylvan Library
    4*Punishing Fire
    4*Swords to Plowshares
    1*Umezawa's Jitte
    4*Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard
    2*Ethersworn Canonist
    1*Reclamation Sage
    2*Choke
    3*Crop Rotation
    2*Pyroblast
    1*Red Elemental Blast
    1*Zealous Persecution
    1*Sigarda, Host of Herons
    1*Fiery Justice
    1*Bojuka Bog

***Options****
    Granger guildmage
    Enlightened tutor

Quote Originally Posted by Rancor85 View Post
    This is the list I'm using for a jump off point not ever playing the deck. I have only played it the last 2 weeks at my LGS. Been having a hard time with new miracles, grixis delver.

Creatures (22)
    1*Birds of Paradise
    3*Deathrite Shaman
    4*Mother of Runes
    1*Noble Hierarch
    2*Qasali Pridemage
    1*Ramunap Excavator
    1*Scavenging Ooze
    1*Scryb Ranger
    2*Stoneforge Mystic
    1*Gaddock Teeg
    1*Dryad Arbor
    Lands (23)
    1*Forest
    1*Plains
    1*Bayou
    1*Plateau
    2*Savannah
    1*Taiga
    1*Thespian's Stage
    3*Wasteland
    4*Windswept Heath
    3*Wooded Foothills
    1*Karakas
    1*Dark Depths

Spells (15)
    1*Sword of Fire and Ice
    1*Sylvan Library
    4*Punishing Fire
    4*Swords to Plowshares
    1*Umezawa's Jitte
    4*Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard
    2*Ethersworn Canonist
    1*Reclamation Sage
    2*Choke
    3*Crop Rotation
    2*Pyroblast
    1*Red Elemental Blast
    1*Zealous Persecution
    1*Fiery Justice
    1*Bojuka Bog

***Options****
    Granger guildmage
    Enlightened tutor
    I like the list. Are you playing against grixis Delver with stifle, or spell pierce? Stifle is really strong against us. Your list looks like it would have some game against grixis Delver. I run 1 more land than you and I don't not run SFM, and the match is favored for me. Perhaps some more reps with the deck will help you in the match up. I win almost any match they don't get Tnn or I get mana screwed. Miracles is going to be a bad matchup. I like planeswalkers and other noncreaure permanents in the matchup. I board out swords to plowshares and some mana dorks as you cannot establish a wide board against them.

Nov 2017
    Los Angeles

Is there a Maverick Discord?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nekro View Post
    Is there a Maverick Discord?
    There's a fairly inactive Maverick facebook group
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hello All,

Recently played a single round match on MTGO versus a Maverick build. I have never played Maverick - I mostly play Blade/UW Control, Lands/Turbo Depths.

The build that I played against seems pretty much in line with what I'm seeing described on here with one notable exception: Lotus Cobra.

It seems like the sort of card that's been toyed around with in the past and always been shaved during cuts, but it really destroyed me when I played against it.

Opp on Maverick:
    T1: land, birds
    T2: cast Lotus cobra, play fetch (trigger), crack fetch get a dual (trigger ), tap dual play renegade rallier get the fetch back, with all the triggers cast ramunap, tracker or knight of the reliquary.

Subsequent turns abused scryb Ranger and tracker. Ill have to see if I can find the match replay, but I thought my opponent had some way of "flickering" renegade rallier.

I played a similar list to this https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/878024#paper at Scg Columbus. Started off 5-0 and loss the last 3. I believe I made some mistakes and should of won round 6 for the double draw into top 8. I have also 66% win rate on mtgo with it. I feel like the deck is pretty good and fun to play. This is the list almost identical who won the Legacy challenge a few weeks ago.

Nov 2017
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    I played a similar list to this https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/878024#paper at Scg Columbus. Started off 5-0 and loss the last 3. I believe I made some mistakes and should of won round 6 for the double draw into top 8. I have also 66% win rate on mtgo with it. I feel like the deck is pretty good and fun to play. This is the list almost identical who won the Legacy challenge a few weeks ago.
    I'm assuming you're DNEELEY on MTGO? Not to be weird or anything, but when I first started thinking about playing Legacy and Maverick it was always your lists on mtgtop8 that I looked at and thought seemed the best/coolest. So thanks, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Strassbaw View Post
    I like the list. Are you playing against grixis Delver with stifle, or spell pierce? Stifle is really strong against us. Your list looks like it would have some game against grixis Delver. I run 1 more land than you and I don't not run SFM, and the match is favored for me. Perhaps some more reps with the deck will help you in the match up. I win almost any match they don't get Tnn or I get mana screwed. Miracles is going to be a bad matchup. I like planeswalkers and other noncreaure permanents in the matchup. I board out swords to plowshares and some mana dorks as you cannot establish a wide board against them.
    My opponent was playing stifle and TNN. really saw some games where granger guildmage would have been bonkers. Didn't know if people had really tested the card. I really like SFM and the sword/ jitte split. Just like all the angles of attack this deck provides. Would people be willing to help me with a quick sideboard guide with the list I provided above? Have a couple big events coming up next month and will take all the help I can get. I've been playing turbo depths lately and it's my go to right now. I'd like to get more comfortable with this deck so I can play it at Worcester. Thanks

The Grixis Delver can go from Favorable to 50/50. IT all depends if they are on stifle or not. stifle builds are more annoying to deal with because sometime you just have to walk into it, and get stifled. Hopefully you have a scryb ranger active to counteract the stifle (with the exception of Jitte, Fetches, Sophie, Horizon Canopy, etc).

New Miracles can be challenging. This is where Tireless Tracker/ Ramunap Excavator can be handy. By drawing more cards than them, you slowly find your answer quicker than they find entreat for lethal kill. I found out that I rely on winning that match-up through the 20/20 plan the later the game goes. They run out of removal fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancor85 View Post

Creatures (22)
    1*Birds of Paradise
    3*Deathrite Shaman
    4*Mother of Runes
    1*Noble Hierarch
    2*Qasali Pridemage
    1*Ramunap Excavator
    1*Scavenging Ooze
    1*Scryb Ranger
    2*Stoneforge Mystic
    1*Gaddock Teeg
    1*Dryad Arbor
    Lands (23)
    1*Forest
    1*Plains
    1*Bayou
    1*Plateau
    2*Savannah
    1*Taiga
    1*Thespian's Stage
    3*Wasteland
    4*Windswept Heath
    3*Wooded Foothills
    1*Karakas
    1*Dark Depths

Spells (15)
    1*Sword of Fire and Ice
    1*Sylvan Library
    4*Punishing Fire
    4*Swords to Plowshares
    1*Umezawa's Jitte
    4*Green Sun's Zenith

Sideboard
    2*Ethersworn Canonist
    1*Reclamation Sage
    2*Choke
    3*Crop Rotation
    2*Pyroblast
    1*Red Elemental Blast
    1*Zealous Persecution
    1*Fiery Justice
    1*Bojuka Bog

***Options****
    Granger guildmage
    Enlightened tutor

Nov 2017
    Los Angeles

I made a discord if anyone is interested. https://discord.gg/Tx9H7Yu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nekro View Post
    I'm assuming you're DNEELEY on MTGO? Not to be weird or anything, but when I first started thinking about playing Legacy and Maverick it was always your lists on mtgtop8 that I looked at and thought seemed the best/coolest. So thanks, haha.
    Yes, that’s me. Most of the time I play blue decks on mtgo now. I honestly have to give credit to maverick because I won the majority of prizes to buy into other decks in the format. I always come back to maverick because I enjoy playing my favorite card in the game(KOTR). Thanks, for the compliment. I always liked my list :)

Yes, that’s me. Most of the time I play blue decks on mtgo now. I honestly have to give credit to maverick because I won the majority of prizes to buy into other decks in the format. I always come back to maverick because I enjoy playing my favorite card in the game(KOTR). Thanks, for the compliment. I always liked my list :)
    Yeah dude, I cannot quit KOTR in any format where she is legal. Congrats on all your success, and I for one hope you do come back to maverick and keep taking down events!

I've Been happy with moving to a Trop and a Leovold, but am unsure of Cutting SFM & Mom. Doesn't this make you get bricked by TNN a lot? I always liked the SFM Package of Jitte + Sofai with a Pro white sword in the side.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Oathbreakers View Post
    I've Been happy with moving to a Trop and a Leovold, but am unsure of Cutting SFM & Mom. Doesn't this make you get bricked by TNN a lot? I always liked the SFM Package of Jitte + Sofai with a Pro white sword in the side.
    You can skip moms IMO, but similar to you I would keep SFM small package 2-3 SFM + Jitte + SoFI to not be blocked by TNN.

Personnally I could consider dropping SFM but never mom. The sheer amount of pressure she generates is insane. At worst she's a lightning rod that lets your DRS or other 1 drops live. At best she's either a low casting cost 2 for 1. That's only as a standalone card because once paired with kotr, scryb ranger or teeg/insert hatebear she's even better.

But that's what I like about maverick. It can be fine-tuned to any meta and it can make sense to drop many parts of the deck so long as it's meta-favorable.
    Last edited by Cpt-Qc; 01-21-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Thread Information