Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

  1. #1

    Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    From this page.

    "Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future will have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule." The "planeswalker uniqueness rule" is going away. What does this mean? In short, everything that's true about legendary permanents will now be true about legendary planeswalkers. Also note that this does not mean legendary planeswalkers can be your Commander unless an ability says so."

    So it seems that certain cards, like Empress Galina or Sisay can interact with Planeswalkers moving forward. Does this open up any playable design space in Legacy?

  2. #2
    The crazy nastyass honey badger

    Join Date

    Dec 2013
    Location

    A desk chair, The Netherlands
    Posts

    1,514

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Nic Fit Superfriends perhaps? But that's probably it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

  3. #3
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,197

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    I can see JMS and Baby Jace going into certain decks. Same goes with both 3 mana Lilianas, although probably not as much as Jace.

    Gideon of the Trials gets a massive boost since you can spam the board with various Gideon walkers. I wouldn't be suprised if we reached the critical mass for Gideon Stompy at some point.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  4. #4
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    979

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Animated Gideons become vulnerable to Karakas.
    Going to be a few more odd interactions as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    PDX
    Posts

    691

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    I assume JTMS on board with un-flipped flip-jace is still okay with this change.....and flipped JVP + JTMS is also possible without sacrifice?

  6. #6

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    I think Gideon of the Trials might actually work better with Gideon Jura than Ally of Zendikar, simply because of how the two cards' + abilities interact. They also both fit better in control shells than Ally of Zendikar does. But I dunno, maybe run all three?

  7. #7
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    979

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I assume JTMS on board with un-flipped flip-jace is still okay with this change.....and flipped JVP + JTMS is also possible without sacrifice?
    Yeah, Legend Rule only ever cared about the name. Hence Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thalia, Heretic Cathar were cool to highfive on the battlefield.

    And so speaking of the Legend Rule, who whats to help me brew a Mirror Gallery deck
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  8. #8
    Force of Will is my bitch
    Finn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2004
    Location

    South Florida
    Posts

    2,890

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Kamigawa cards we never cared about may not suck as much in a deck of planeswalkers.

    Honor-Worn Shaku
    Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

  9. #9
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,197

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Heart of Kiran might also benefit from Planeswalker spam.

    The idea of legendary Nic Fit with GSZ-able Sisay and a bunch of Planeswalker sounds fun.

    The Gatewatch Oaths might also get better when you can play multiple planeswalkers.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  10. #10
    Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Cire's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Posts

    1,492

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    I can see a deck sort of like this to start - but it doesn't seem that good :

    18 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mox Diamond

    4 Heart of Kiran
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

    12 Gideons of whatever
    6 ?

  11. #11

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I can see a deck sort of like this to start - but it doesn't seem that good :

    18 Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mox Diamond

    4 Heart of Kiran
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

    12 Gideons of whatever
    6 ?
    About as far as I got.

    2 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mox Diamond // edit: actually chrome mox feels way better here?
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    8 Plains

    3 Heart of Kiran
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Wrath of God
    3 Armageddon
    1 Oblivion Ring
    3 Ghostly Prison

    4 Gideon of the Trials
    4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    4 Gideon Jura
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

    Very dutch-staxy. Moat sort of works with Heart of Kiran + Elspeth but Ghostly allows our beefslab army to get in and compliments Armageddon. I like the additional combo hate that Trial Gideon might provide.

  12. #12
    Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Cire's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Posts

    1,492

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Would Liliana or Garruk stompy be better? Liliana won't really be stompy - but running 12 sol lands (including Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper) plus dark ritual can get the bigger liliana's out faster - and garruk . . . seems easier to cast with a sol land mana base? They don't have the Gideon of the trial synergy though - and i think that's probably the best thing to exploit.

  13. #13

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Would Liliana or Garruk stompy be better? Liliana won't really be stompy - but running 12 sol lands (including Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper) plus dark ritual can get the bigger liliana's out faster - and garruk . . . seems easier to cast with a sol land mana base? They don't have the Gideon of the trial synergy though - and i think that's probably the best thing to exploit.
    Garruk Wildspeaker untapping sol lands can be pretty busted - one way I've hardcast Ugin when running Eureka-Order.

  14. #14

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    About as far as I got.

    2 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Mox Diamond // edit: actually chrome mox feels way better here?
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    8 Plains

    3 Heart of Kiran
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Wrath of God
    3 Armageddon
    1 Oblivion Ring
    3 Ghostly Prison

    4 Gideon of the Trials
    4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    4 Gideon Jura
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

    Very dutch-staxy. Moat sort of works with Heart of Kiran + Elspeth but Ghostly allows our beefslab army to get in and compliments Armageddon. I like the additional combo hate that Trial Gideon might provide.

    This list needs 4x humility. Layers my friend, layers :-) Humideon.dec?




    For historical reference:

  15. #15

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    A Shardless Agent putting Liliana of the veil and last hope in the field would be fun too.

  16. #16
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    1,659

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by procobrito View Post
    A Shardless Agent putting Liliana of the veil and last hope in the field would be fun too.
    I guess you mean Bloodbraid Elf though, they didn't change the rules for Cascade.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  17. #17

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I guess you mean Bloodbraid Elf though, they didn't change the rules for Cascade.
    ops, my bad

  18. #18
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    1,659

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by procobrito View Post
    ops, my bad
    A Jund deck using both Liliana otV and Last Hope could be pretty decent in fair match-ups though. Last Hope even lets you get back BBE's to Cascade into more stuff too. Probably would be best to cut Punishing Fire's at that point, but you'd still have a ton of removal.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  19. #19

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    A Jund deck using both Liliana otV and Last Hope could be pretty decent in fair match-ups though. Last Hope even lets you get back BBE's to Cascade into more stuff too. Probably would be best to cut Punishing Fire's at that point, but you'd still have a ton of removal.
    I could even add Liliana, Heretical Healer, since you could use of the veil to flip it in the same turn, lol.

    Tezzerator maybe happen with the new rule too.

  20. #20
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,197

    Re: Planeswalkers are Legendary, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    A Jund deck using both Liliana otV and Last Hope could be pretty decent in fair match-ups though. Last Hope even lets you get back BBE's to Cascade into more stuff too. Probably would be best to cut Punishing Fire's at that point, but you'd still have a ton of removal.
    Last Hope can help to dig for Punishing Fire, though. Maybe throwing even in 1-2 Life from the Loam for the hell of it.

    Or maybe a Junk build with KotR and Ramunap Excavator?

    Edit: I just noticed: You can now have both sides of Garruk Relentless/Garruk, The Veil-Cursed on the battlefield. Massive upgrade right there.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)