Thread: Oops, All Chandras!

Oops, All Chandras!

I know everyone is on the "Gideon Tribal" train for multiple 'walkers in one deck, but looking at the cards, I think Chandra actually makes more sense, given the tools red gives you with a shell vs. what white does.

The idea centers around running "loot" effects, and breaking them wide open with Chandra's Phoenix and Squee, Goblin Nabob.

For reference:

Chandra's Phoenix
    1RR
    Haste
    2/2
    Whenever an opponent is dealt damage by a red instant or sorcery spell or a red planeswalker you control, return this to your hand from the gy.

That's Squee #5-8 in the right shell. Which "all Chandra's" is. So what's our list look like?

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Crystal Vein
    8x Mountain
    2x Barbarian Ring
    4x Chrome Mox

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Blood Moon

4x Cathartic Reunion
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Chandra's Pheonix
    4x Seething Song

3x Chandra, Pyromaster
    3x Chandra Ablaze
    4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2x Chandra, Flamecaller
    2x Koth of the Hammer

The nice thing about Pheonix is that you can discard it more than once a turn thanks to the way it interacts with Chandra Ablaze's discard/damage +1. I tagged some of the... less familiar Chandra options for everyone. The deck actually has a lot of draw to power through dead cards, which is nice. And you've got the two great T1 "FU, the format" in Moon and Chalice. Might need more land, I'm not super familiar with red stompy lists, so the mana is probably a bit off. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Re: Oops, All Chandras!

I would probably recommend ensnaring bridge, heart of kiran, and trinisphere. You don't need to attack if you can freely ultimate planeswalkers. Heart of Kiran can snap block. Trinisphere nombo's with cathartic reunion/ chrome mox but can hose an opponent otherwise.

Good luck with this deck.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

aside from your moon inclusion, i always wanted to try chandra's phoenix with punishing fire and grove of the burnwillows...

any room in your list?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I like the idea of the deck, although 6 mana Chandras seem pretty slow and risky.

I was about to suggest Ensnaring Bridge, too, but then I figured the deck doesn't want to be empty-handed. I'm not entirely sold yet how the deck is supposed to handle creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i always wanted to try chandra's phoenix with punishing fire and grove of the burnwillows...

any room in your list?
    Oh for sure, Cathartic Reunion is probably a terrible card in Legacy anyways, besides, all of the Chandra's can draw cards themselves, so it's not like it's really needed. Fire won't work when Moon is out, but hey, it won't always be out. Also not sure that the 2 mana 4 power warrior shouldn't be in here, or Magus of the Moon. I just threw up a quick list, might be, likely is, terrible and definitely needs tuning.

EDIT: @Barookl, I dunno, Fiery Confluence or whatever it is? Anger of the Gods? The Chandra's? What does Dragon Stompy do about creatures?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Oh for sure, Cathartic Reunion is probably a terrible card in Legacy anyways, besides, all of the Chandra's can draw cards themselves, so it's not like it's really needed. Fire won't work when Moon is out, but hey, it won't always be out. Also not sure that the 2 mana 4 power warrior shouldn't be in here, or Magus of the Moon. I just threw up a quick list, might be, likely is, terrible and definitely needs tuning.

EDIT: @Barookl, I dunno, Fiery Confluence or whatever it is? Anger of the Gods? The Chandra's? What does Dragon Stompy do about creatures?
    I don't think Reunion is good. They can counter it and depending on the counter, you'll lose 1-2 CA. That's extremely bad.

Dragon Stompy has Fiery Confluence and Ensnaring Bridge to handle creatures.

bruizar

the most recent version also plays rolling earthquake and bonfire

Thread Information