Thread: Sultai Bridge Prison "True Blue Moon"

Sultai Bridge Prison "True Blue Moon"

Its a brew I've concocted last spring that I've worked on and off this summer via cockatrice and recently x-mage. It's refined to the point that I've easily obtained a +1600 constructed rating on x-mage woogerworks server within the first 3 days I played despite my unfamiliarity playing on such a setting (as a consequence I was losing a lot of matches to time outs, misclicks the game wouldn’t let me redo, etc).

Normally I wouldn't mind posting a screenshot verifying this, however apparently ELO decay is a real thing on X-mage and when I attempted to regain the +1.6k constructed rating last Monday, I discovered to my dismay a key card is now bugged with the new x-mage update (Quicksilver Fountain). That is partially why I am now posting on this forum.

Deck List:

Instant (9)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    2x Fatal Push
    1x Stoic Rebuttal
    3x Whir of Invention

Sorcery (8)
    4x Ancient Stirring
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Thoughtseize

Artifact (21)
    4x Chromatic Star
    1x Engineered Explosives
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Mox Opal
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Quicksilver Fountain
    1x Sword of the Meek
    4x Terrarion
    2x Thopter Foundry

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Land (19)
    1x Academy Ruin
    1x Botanical Sanctum
    1x Darkslick Shores
    2x Darksteel Citadel
    1x Forest
    4x Glimmervoid
    1x Inventors' Fair
    1x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    2x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    1x Watery Grave

Sideboard

Instant (4)
    1x Fatal Push
    2x Stoic Rebuttal
    1x Whir of Invention

Sorcery (2)
    1x Ancestral Vision
    1x Maelstrom Pulse

Creature (1)
    1x Dark Confidant

Artifact Creature (1)
    1x Tidehollow Sculler

Artifact (6)
    1x Executioner's Capsule
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Quicksilver Fountain
    1x Welding Jar
    1x Witchbane Orb

Planeswalker (1)
    1x Liliana of the Veil

--------------------------------

If I were to register for a tournament tomorrow, I would main deck the 3rd Fatal Push and sideboard the 3rd Abrupt Decay. Additionally, I would flip the maindeck Stoic Rebuttal with either the sideboard Lilianna or Whir. I only had it set up like so to reflect the unusually high influx of blue based control decks and other such rogues you're likely to come across (which TBF I suppose is expected given the nature of the program I relied on for testing).

As I had written prior, I had worked on this brew on and off since last spring, and I've refined it to the point where I can see the potential of it grasping tier 1 status. As it is right now, it definitely clears the water to be tier 2. It shares nearly none of the weaknesses that plague your typical modern control or prison deck. Clunky-ness isn't a big factor as the mana curve is very low to the ground, its tools and game plan are versatile enough it doesn't fold to random rogue elements, its match up against big mana decks like Tron isn't horrendous, it's not so fragile to lose to relevant disruption it may come across, and above all, it's consistency far beyond what you'd expect from a typical modern deck. In fact, that is this deck's main selling point -- consistency -- in a format that is otherwise ruled by variance.

The concept for its construction is really simple; it was basically the desire to utilize underplayed Modern legal cards that had potent enough power level to actually see fringe Legacy play, but otherwise require a critical mass of artifacts to function and just fill up that critical threshold with cheap artifacts that can replace themselves so that you don't actually lose cards playing underwhelming artifacts. Right now, it looks like U/B Tezzerator that splashes green, but that was never the intent and I actually take offense to it. Originally, Reshape was the choice of tutor with MD Ichor Wellsprings and those Implements as additional sacrificial support since these same filler artifacts made Thopter Foundry useful outside of the combo. It became apparent quickly that Ensnaring Bridge was the priority search target in most of the fast match-ups and testing concluded Whir of Invention was more apt at quickly tutoring out said Bridge. So now the deck is constructed in such a way as to prioritize the quick deployment of Ensnaring Bridge as consistently as possible above all since it solves almost all the fast MUs in one swoop. And believe me this brew is leagues above more consistent at powering out that Ensnaring Bridge than any other Modern deck with 4x Ancient Stirring, 3x Whir of Invention, 1x Inventors' Fair, and 3x Tezzeret along with the 3 main deck Ensnaring Bridge itself. In fact, this consistency enables the brew to deploy multiple Ensnaring Bridges quickly thus diminishing the potential outs your opponent may have available since a single Flickerwisp or Kolaghan's Command won't cut it anymore.

The main deck brew right now is I believe right now close to optimization, but the sideboard is another subject that I will touch on later. I will go a rant later which is sort of relevant as to why I'm posting on this website as opposed to the other options. I wish to also convey my thought process on some of renovations I'm not fully confident in to give the reader a better grasp of what areas could use work, and other such tedious details.. So before I lose readers I want to at least provide a brief summary on the function of the MD inclusions right now that I'm proud to present.

Probably the most mundane, underwhelming cards on this list. Cards such as these were initially intended to serve as filler artifacts so the more powerful cards that require a critical threshold of artifact can function properly. However with subsequent cuts to land count coupled with the adoption of Whir, they have become stabilizers with what would otherwise be an unstable mana base. They serve multiple roles. Early game they fix your mana so you don't have to mull hands that happen to provide only one or less colored sources among your starting lands. Obviously, they're a cheap means to enable both Metalcraft and Improvise. They improve your card selection options with Ancient Stirring as they're basically a blind card draw option since they cantrip. They're great sacrificial fodder for Thopter Foundry so top decking them doesn't feel bad. They artificially keep your hand size low without actually losing CA for Ensnaring Bridge, so it's kind of like a reverse Clue. Finally, they trigger revolt for Fatal Push. They also incidentally hamper the effectiveness of certain tactics against you. You're buffered from Blood Moon for instance, they can be cracked at your opponent's EOT so you won't take damage at upkeep from those enchantments in 8 Rack, and against Lantern Control you can actually draw the card you want if you possess the same or more number of artifact eggs to their mill rocks.

Early-mid game, you’d want to keep these artifact eggs around for mana-fixing and powering out Whir of Invention. Later on you’re still incentivized to keep them as fodder for Thopter Foundry since it’s essentially free and at least maintain Metalcraft. Furthermore, you’ll be penalized in some matches for liberally cycling through your eggs. You never want to for instance want to draw more than 1 land per turn against a board full of opposing weenies. Of course, if you’re facing imminent doom, crack as many to your heart’s desire; dead is dead and you won’t suffer mana quantity-wise for at least sacrificing the ones currently in play.

I know this A LOT of information for some really mundane artifacts, yet there’s a lot decision making of whether to preserve or crack them along with the pacing of that act. I suppose the point I’m trying to get across is that there’s a substantial learning curve to these things to play this brew optimally. One last warning, DO NOT keep one-landers just because you opened a bunch of Chromatic Stars to cycle through. It’s too slow and the land count is too low to rely on a blind cantrip to get out 2nd mana source.

Stem early aggression before Bridge can be dropped, kill special role players that can circumvent Bridge

Multi-purpose maindeckable removal that is priceless in this list, because they serve to make you robust against potent SB hate like Stony Silence or Rest in Peace without needing to sideboard multiple dedicated answers to those hate cards.

Unfortunately, you need to be lucky to cast this spell on turn 2 with the current configuration of this brew. You're also tapping out a lot during the early phase and additionally it might become a liability in certain match ups where your opponent's 1 or 2 power creatures can still attack you despite throwing down a Ensnaring Bridge. So not quite a Counterspell and you might lose because you have countermagic stuck in your hand in a Ensnaring Bridge deck. They are however stellar in all the match ups where Ensnaring Bridge is ineffectual which encompasses the majority this brew's tougher MUs. Mid - late game they're as good as Counterspell with the upside of being invulnerable to Spell Snare, which is the phase you typically want to hold up counter magic against such decks anyways. I suppose Negate would probably serve just as well in 95% of these situations, but there's a certain comfort to being able to counter Prime Time or large Walking Ballista with your counter magic. Everything I've written here presents a strong case for Stoic Rebuttal as sideboard material though. I have 1-of MD only in response to the unusually high influx of blue based decks and Tron present in x-mage.

Clunky removal in a brew I took care to construct a low to the ground mana curve emphasizing efficiency. The only reason it still remains is because it's a source of flexible removal that can be tutored or be picked up by Tezzeret / Ancient Stirrings. Certain matches become much more difficult when you remove that option as I've had to learn to my sorrow. For instance, I was 3 cards away from getting milled out by Lantern Control, a MU that by all accounts is nigh unlosable, because I didn't have an Engineered Explosives to tutor out and blow up the pithing needles. Removed twice MD only to be reinstated a little while later.

MD graveyard hate that has negligible impact on performance even if irrelevant. Hell, it can be sacrificed to Thopter Foundry and you'll still be refunded a card provided you pay an extra . However, that 1-of MD inclusion has profound impact on this brew's match ups against graveyard reliant decks. This brew doesn't suffer an unfavorable MU against Dredge like every other interactive deck pre-sideboard. Whir of Invention can still serve as proxy counter magic against decks that use the graveyard in their combo to go off like Storm.

Disruption suite via discard. I suppose arguments could be made to increase the count to 6-of since it works for Lantern Control. I would actually appreciate input from veteran Lantern Control pilots.

Rarely ever a truly dead card, though in some of the match ups you're going to need to take a wild stab in the dark since things like fetch lands and Street Wraith are usually activated immediately upon being drawn. This is in the main deck, because it shuts down most avenues of attack that circumvent Ensnaring Bridge. Some decks like all the Tron variants possess multiple high demand Pithing Needle targets which necessitates a second copy in the sideboard. Incidentally, this brews MU against Ad Nauseam pre-sideboard is not unfavorable as Pithing Needle locks them out of their primary win con, Lightning Storm, and they don't possess the tools to deal with Pithing Needle main board. Your typical Modern format control and prison archetypes would be hard pressed for a favorable MU against Ad Nauseam pre-sideboard.

The biggest factor why the Tron MUs are not horrendous. This is basically an artifact version of Blood Moon that as such can be picked up by Ancient Stirring / Tezz and tutored out just like an Ensnaring Bridge. In some ways it's worse than Blood Moon and some ways more potent. The downside is quite notably its miniscule immediate impact; only 1 land will be turned into a island at a time meaning it needs to be dropped early keep your opponent off Tron mana. However, its effect persists even after its erasure from the board, so a Tron opponent activating Oblivion Stone won't return their affected lands back to normal. This brew's mana base is minimally impacted from Quicksilver Fountain as your color intensive spells are anyways. This lovely land crippling artifact doesn't bother with silly pretenses of whether you have basic lands out or not like Blood Moon. It just indiscriminately hates on every non-blue deck, so archetypes like Death n Taxes + Burn that you would normally expect to be resilient to Blood Moon effects will have their mana base utterly decimated by Quicksilver Fountain.

The only reason this tech hasn't been widely adopted is simply an artifact sac outlet is a prerequisite to ensure the flood counters' permanence, something this brew has already acquired by way of Thopter Foundry. As you can imagine, Quicksilver Fountain's incidentally boosts this brew's performance against other slow, mid-range decks. Sadly, the most important of them, Grixis, is largely unaffected like other other blue decks since the simple possession of blue dual lands (in this case, shocklands) is how you bypass getting your non-blue mana sources cut off. I actually desperately want to make room for a 3rd copy in the sideboard, because Tron simply cannot beat a turn 3 Quicksilver Fountain when they're on the draw.

I know I made a point to never compromise on card disadvantage as a rule of thumb in configuring my brew, but all the busted starts involve Mox Opal. The deck just performs at another level with an early Mox Opal that you want increased odds of drawing one in your opening hand. This IS one of the pay offs to accruing a critical mass of artifacts and basically puts you a turn ahead of your opponent casting all your spells. I would like to also point out multiple Mox Opal s in starting hand can enable turn 1 Liliana of the Veil or turn 2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, but that requires the presence of other artifacts cost , a selling point to mishra's bauble.

A key component to this brew's consistency, while also simultaneously the main destabilizing factor that strains your mana base early game. Its not as cumbersome as some might think, but drawing multiples of this spell without the supporting cheap artifacts for Improvise does suck. It's quite feasible to cash this in on turn 3-4 for an Ensnaring Bridge, something that cannot be said for Reshape and ensuing cost of needing to adopt Terrarion to ensure mana stability was an acceptable cost. It's a 3-of, because your hand getting clogged up with with 3-4 drops is a concern that can compromise the integrity of your Ensnaring Bridge. Strange to say, but despite its versatility there are some match ups where there's only like 2 target you want to tutor for main board and afterwards they're next to useless. Obviously, the later copies become more relevant post sideboard, but.. right now its a headache to try make room for the 4th Whir MD.

One final note, these babies can get so much better post SB with potent search options combined with instant speed play. Ever effectively countered a Chord of Calling by putting down a Grafdigger's Cage or whipped out a Witchbane Orb in response to Scapeshift? You can choose to overpay for your Whirs to throw off your opponent and once it resolves, lay down a Pithing Needle they can’t respond to.

Hands down the strongest 1-mana cantrip Modern has to offer by a long shot. THIS is one of the pay offs for accruing a critical mass of colorless spells. Half the reason you'd want the 3rd Ensnaring Bridge over the 4th Whir of Invention MD is just so you retain decent odds at catching a Bridge off your Stirrings. I shouldn't to justify this card's inclusion; I rest my case with Lantern Control.

The other pay off. This is one of the few planeswalker that has actually seen Legacy play. This the ONLY 4 cmc planewalker that rivals Jace, the Mind Sculptor. It has already been acknowledged that Tezzeret is the preferred planeswalker of choice over Jace in those Legacy artifact decks. Actually considering where I'm posting, I probably don't need to elaborate on Tezzeret. Tezzeret is this deck's primary win con / CA engine. No other options come close. This brew is actually quite conducive to hosting any planeswalker it wants and the 4th Tezzeret will blow all of them out of the water. I know I have Liliana of the Veil in this 75, but she has always been viewed as a removal spell with upside. The 3rd Tezzeret can be quite clunky in some match ups like Elves and thus gets sided out. However still, that 3rd Tezzeret is very valuable in some of the more tougher match ups where enemy has successfully neutralized the threat of thopter beat-down and I cannot afford to whiff on drawing a Tezzeret on my top half of the library. I should note this is an Ensnaring Bridge prison deck, so there's more emphasis on him +1'ing and ultimating for the win than beating down with 5/5s.

The only similarities between this brew and those shitty U/B Tezzerators you'll find MTG salv are the Tezzs and the Whirs. I don't even agree with the inclusion of multiple Sword of the Meek, an absolute dead card outside of a combo that's not even that good until the later stages when you have an abundance of lands. I did try to stay open-minded and tested some of their tech. The faulty logic they were operating under quickly became apparent and I had posted on reddit my conclusions along with the brew work-in-progress optimistic there would be cooperation and recognition for my efforts. Instead, I was ridiculed, trolled, and my opinions preemptively rejected without thought. Those imbeciles even questioned the merit of Ancient Stirrings itself, a 5-card selection cantrip that's good enough to see play in Legacy, and the glue that holds together Lantern Control, a modern artifact based archetype that ACTUALLY DOES PUT UP RESULTS. I would say Lantern Control was more of a helpful template to emulate than those shitheads brew ever were. I find the "Tezzerator" label on my creation offensive, because I don't want it to ever be associated with those failures. Besides, Tezzeret isn't the critical element to my gameplan, Ensnaring Bridge is.

MTG became too frustrating of a hobby for me to continue, so I stopped at that point. A random whim of mine, crushing those redditors on x-mage with the deck they ridiculed months ago is how I became active again 2 weeks ago. My high rating on X-mage enabled me to procure plenty of quality opponents so it wasn't stressful for me to refine my rough draft to a near complete diamond. Well at least main deck-wise. The sideboard is a mess that I will touch on later.

I'm not done, I just figured it will be it look less cluttered if I split up the post
    Last edited by Bernkastel; 09-03-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Re: Sultai Bridge Prison "True Blue Moon"

The last couple of innovations onto the main deck had been really difficult to enact and is basically how I ended up cutting all copies of Mishra's Bauble and ultimately why the 4th Whir of Invention got relegated to the sideboard in spite of mixed feelings. I suppose I ought to take that as a positive sign as having too many good options to fit within a 60 card constraints implies I'm close to optimization, but it's still a headache regardless. I'm not well versed enough in calculus and beyond to deduce the correct proportions and numbers mathematically and thus I have to rely on anecdotal evidence to make my deductions. Regardless, I'm halted from proceeding any further since Quicksilver Fountain is currently bugged on x-mage, and its near impossible for me to find quality opponents on Cockatrice who won't just kick me out their lobby upon seeing Terrarion and pre-emptively concluding they're facing a pile of garbage.

Regardless, the testing prior to x-mage's current patch was still fruitful enough for me to realize the brew could use a little more fine tuning in the consistency department, that maybe something like Serum Vision might be what's needed to push it over edge. After all, the hallmark of most format defining archetypes is its consistency in enacting the same gameplan with little variation in time frame, all achieved by an abundance of cheap, powerful card filtering. Serum Vision seems passable enough for Grixis Death Shadow. However, implementing that change might require an entire rework of the deck and touch things I was previously scared to touch like whether I can afford to cut a Terrarion. The last time I was tinkering with things like that (basically cutting card filters like Ichor Wellspring and junk mana like Pentad Prism), I needed to increase the land count for the deck to compensate after nothing was working the way I expected it to.

That's the other reason I'm posting here; this website is primarily geared towards the Legacy format and it seems the insight of a veteran blue mage is required to successfully implanting Serum Visions without repercussions.

I'm hoping Serum Vision will allow me to lower the land count and readjust some undesirable elements while simultaneously enabling more 1 landers to be kept. With the current iteration, I am forced to mull away any 1 land hand that lacks a cast-able Ancient Stirring by turn 2, or a Mox Opal that can achieve metalcraft by turn 2. Conversely, land flooding is a real risk with all the blind cantripping artifacts.

Other than that, the sideboard needs a lot of work. I as I've stated earlier, a 3rd Quicksilver Fountain SB is key to decisively changing even the most brutal Tron variant MU favorable. The Burn MU could use some assistance as well if room can be found. However, above all else the need for a solid SB plan against Grixis Death Shadow is the one that holds greatest priority. It’s not because the main deck is susceptible to Grixis Death Shadow. Quite the contrary, my brew boasts a favorable engagement against Grixis Death Shadow. Rather the problem is that Grixis Death Shadow improves far more relative to my deck in the post-sideboard games, and depending on what their sideboard consist of, the improvement can be so stark as to offset their disadvantage G1 to make the entire MU overall favorable to them. In any case, this indicates a SB weakness on my part for that MU. Cheap, raw CA seems to be the only effective countermeasure to their diverse disruption suite. I have thought about Leyline of Sanctity to turn off their discard while simultaneously shoring up the Burn MU, but that doesn't address their counter suite nor their straight up artifact removal. They also have to draw more than a single discard spell and leyline could very easily cost me the game since they're effectively dead draws.

Finally I have questions for any veteran Lantern Control pilot who happens to stroll by.

Have any of you guys bothered testing Fatal Push? 3-4 pieces of MD removal kind of seems a little too low for dealing with annoying shits like Thalia or Edilon of Revel. There are also creature combos where absent a locking mechanism need to be taken out absent. Forgive me, but it just seems a little bit of a tall order for just Ancient Stirring to take care of in a timely order so I would naturally assume there would be greater pressure on Lantern Control to stall with early removal until the locking mechanisms are in place.

Can any of you care to elaborate on the continued MD presence of Collective Brutality? I grant you it’s stellar in some match ups, but the 2 big elephants in the room are Grixis Death Shadow and Eldrazi Tron. The Duress mode is okay, but overpriced against Grixis Death Shadow, a tempo archetype that exploits the mana advantage their cheap disruption and threats offer. All the modes are terrible against Eldrazi Tron and in either case, you never want to escalate Collective Brutality which is when it becomes worth the 2 mana investment in my opinion. Sorry, but I would say it’s SB material right now.

I guess what I’m ultimately asking is whether anyone has thought to renovate the main deck configuration since I guess last year? My impression is that all the talents responsible for refining Lantern Control have abandoned it for quite some time. Of course, I have no factual evidence to back that claim, but do you have any rebuffs to my conjecture? I suppose you could say this conjecture is why I’m hesitant to adopt a carbon copy of your disruption suite and SB plan.

Well, I like to think my brew is an evolution on Lantern Control. Your archetype’s success as a tier 2 is a living testament to the inferior logic of those shitty U/B Tezzerator imbeciles. :^)

I suppose I should give a MU run down since I’ve come this far. ..

Long story short, most are overall favorable to crushingly favorable. :^)
    The main deck configuration is equipped to tackle nearly every you’re like to come across so no there’s no pre-sideboard atrocious MU. Ensnaring Bridge nullifies a vast majority of strategies you ever have to worry about that most can’t hope to interact with game 1 and the Thopter combo + Tezzeret offer a strong proactive element that are difficult for decks that don’t care about Ensnaring Bridge to overcome.
    It’s far easier for me to just list the problematic MUs below 50% win rate.

For game 1, off the top of my head Burn and Valukut archetypes are elements that the main deck configuration doesn’t account for.
    Burn doesn’t care for Ensnaring Bridge as they plan to finish you off with burn spells to the dome anyways. There isn’t any main deck locking mechanism that covers this so your 2 options are to either assemble the Thopter combo or firing off a premature Tezz ultimate. This is the only area U/B Tezzerators can legitimately claim superiority with their multiple copies to the Thopter combo and MB hate in the form of Collective Brutality. My brew is just slight underdog.

Valukut also exploits the hole in my prison with the lack of MB Witchbane Orb game 1. Despite being a ramp archetype, an early Quicksilver Fountain doesn’t incapacitate them the same like Tron or Bloomless Titan as they achieve ramping purely by increasing their land quantity rather than relying on land quality. Quicksilver Fountain DOES put them on a timer, but beyond pre-emptively Thoughtseizing them, you only have a lone MB Stoic Rebuttal to stave off a Scapeshift. Fortunately, the 3-of MBTezzeret, Agent of Bolas mitigates this MU from being a wash. Early Tezzeret beatdowns can easily steal the win game 1.

The only other unfavorable pre-sideboard match up I have ever ran across is that Timewalk chaining blue deck. Then again this occurred while I was I still testing with a rough draft iteration that had plenty of other bad MUs. So I’m not sure if that deck counts and in any case it seems to have died out.

Post SB the Valukut MU is the one of the few that improves immensely. The Burn MU post SB is too close for me to tell if it’s just Destructive Revelry they’re bringing. In any case, the person playing first is the bigger factor and there’s a noticeable chance the Burn deck just loses to itself. The Burn MU is not a concern for me and just a minor tweak is needed if I ever cared to put them under.

The final piece will come soon
    Last edited by Bernkastel; 09-03-2017 at 05:59 PM.

As for the rest of the field, typically as a rule they improve more than you do. Some, like the Valukut MU, the opposite occurs as there are more dead cards to remove, most notably against blue based grindy archetypes and Tron. Then again, the previous sentence can easily become false since pilots may hate artifacts with a passion to the point they dedicate a large segment of their SB to beat any decks relying on them. It is for this reason why it’s for me to accurately gauge post SB MUs as it varies what their SB is composed of. Almost all of them typically fall short in overcoming my brew.
    The only MU where I consistently feel like the underdog post-sideboard is against Grixis Death Shadow and a good pilot will decimate me if he/she opt to dedicate more slots than usual for anti-artifact tech.

To be fair though, my brew rarely ever decimated Grixis Death Shadow by such a wide margin during the pre-sideboard games to begin with. A lot of those games were close where I was forced to cycle as fast as possible exhausting nearly all of my gas to stabilize with something. This occurs when they start accumulating dead draws, and it becomes inevitable very fast for me to either drop an Ensnaring Bridge they can’t answer, or I just keep the board clear of Death Shadows and their other threats can’t kill me fast enough before the thopter token count far exceeds all their targeted removal.

This favorable MU pre-sideboard against Grixis Death Shadow is perhaps the strongest example to superiority of my build philosophy in contrast to those shitty U/B Tezzerator scrubs. I stuck to my principle to never sacrifice on card economy and instead fixed my mana-curve so I can cleanly achieve hell-bent status for Ensnaring Bridge. They’re instead fixated on making some sweet play on turn 2-3 and they are so unbelievably foolish enough to believe they will win the game on the spot for this action. So they’ll rely on essentially Simian Spirit Guide-esque cards to accomplish this feat.

Continuing on with their folly, they place an highly inflated worth on the Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek combo with no consideration whatsoever on its limitation and so they’ll heedlessly fill up their deck with multiple copies of 2 cmc do-nothings. At this point things start to become a self fulfilling prophecy to their faulty logic that leads them to drown further on in their cesspool of error.

Assuming your hypothetical idiot pilot managed to assemble the 2 card combo in their opening hand, an investment of 4 mana minimum is needed before he sees his first thopter token and rightfully so this is too slow for Modern without acceleration. But oh look, now the idiot pilot’s deck is full of 2 cmc do-nothings and this is in addition to all the even more expensive tutors + card selection already placed there. The idiot pilot reasons he must add even more mana sources. Also let us not forget that after losing a game or 2 to a more streamlined combo archetype, idiot pilot will want tutor targets that will protect him from those things as well. This all leaves very little space for cheap actual disruption, so this allows the enemy to develop their board unabated. Idiot pilot feels intense pressure to assemble the combo right away and starts feeling justified in sacrificing card economy for temporary acceleration. Idiot pilot assembles the thopter combo, but his pitiful land count will only let him create 2 thopter tokens. Opponent spends his removal on those pitiful blockers to swing for lethal. Idiot pilot reasons he lost because he was too slow and so assumes maximum speed is necessary.

Also, you may be wondering how these self fulfilling fools can reasonably rely on Ensnaring Bridge to protect them against a gold fishing aggro player when their hands have so much potential to clutter and the answer is they don’t, they just cop out by escalating with Collective Brutality. A lot of them are even distancing themselves away from Ensnaring Bridge with only 1 or 2 copies. It just goes to show you their warped priorities.

A modern deck that puts all its eggs on 1 basket can never hope to overtake an archetype like Grixis Death Shadow. They fall apart when their 1 or 2 relevant spells get disrupted and flood out on useless mana sources. Finally, Thopter Foundry is not a dead/terrible without the Swords in my brew, as it has plenty of sacrificial fodder that are not dead cards by themselves either unless of course you feel a 1/1 flyer is totally worth a card.

Yup, my initial instinct to not bother elaborating on their faulty logic is not worth all this additional clutter. This took far longer than expected all so I have an prepared retort on the small likelihood I will get trolled by those single digit IQ morons.

Still not final, I'll just write a summary and end it with that.
    Last edited by Bernkastel; 09-03-2017 at 08:52 PM.

TL:DR version
    In summation, this brew as is suffers very little in its match ups across entire format. The main deck iteration is well equipped nearly everything pre sideboard. Post side board this brew easily patches up the remaining holes that can be exploited, so over all, there is no any particular archetype that can claim a definitive advantage. Rather, this brew is susceptible to a group of really pointed hateful cards. Under normal circumstances, my brew is resilient and redundant enough to not lose its momentum just encountering 1 or 2 of such cards; it’s only in the presence of excessive amounts of relevant disruption and hate the situation grows dire.

Chief causes of loss are either;
    1) an excess of pointed hate and relevant disruption, backed up by a clock
    2) deck losing to itself via variance
    3) a combination of 1) and 2)
    4) for online, timing out due to extreme excessive amounts of tedious triggers

No.3 occurs when you resign yourself to a sketchy keep rather than mulling down further and a single pointed hate card is all that is necessary to turn your hand into garbage. For instance, keeping a 1 lander that has Mox opal and several 1cmc artifact eggs on the draw only for your opponent to slam down Stony Silence on turn 2.

No.2 seems kind of ironic when I was touting my brew’s consistency as its best feature. The consistency IS off the charts.. for a MODERN DECK. Ancient Stirring, while a legitimately strong, cheap card filter in any format; it is still only a of-4. This brew has a tendency to flood out in lands despite the low land count not unlike Grixis Death Shadow. The similarity isn’t really shocking given the similar land count and both possessing 12 cantrips, 8 of which are blind. The difference is that Grixis Death Shadow typically try to end their games in a short order before this aspect begins to really rear its ugly head. This is why I’m contemplating the addition of Serum Vision.

Some of the hate you would think would be crippling usually turn out to just be inconveniences. Stony Silence for instance while can be very debilitating depending on what you draw, does nothing to Ensnaring Bridge and nearly all of the decks that have access to Stony Silence in their SB can’t actually kill you through a Bridge. So it’s only a matter of time before you Abrupt Decay is drawn to unlock your entire deck again.

No.4 is really only an issue for online play all because of the stupid amount of triggers that eat your clock and a wealth of options during the later stages. The Thopter combo is an extremely tedious combo to properly go through the motions that require you to repeat each turn until your opponent submits. Both No.4 and No.2 are largely mitigated for IRL play. (a small amount of mana-weaving would really help I wager).

There is that learning curve to a unique play style to consider as well so I can’t recommend this brew for online play unless you’re comfortable playing with something that can sometimes take as long as Lantern Control to complete a match.

Finally, actual, raw card draw is a big No No at least in the main board. The tension is caused by the need to retain an empty hand size against mass weenie archetypes and raw card draw is very counterintuitive during those situations. This is the primary reason I ended up cutting all copies of Ichor Wellspring It would be fine if the CA came in a form of say Clues, but I'm not aware of any good, Modern playable ones.

Conclusion

So question ultimately becomes whether you believe the exchange for dedicating a sizable portion of your deck to the 2nd most targeted permanent type thus exposing yourself to some of the potent hate you'll ever come across in the Modern format is an acceptable compromise for an otherwise dream blue control deck. **Tag abstaining from raw card draw in a blue deck if that is also an issue for you**

Not a really grindy, blue based mid-range or counter burn style, but a bona fide total lockdown, full control blue deck. A dream blue deck whose foundation is not rooted in a fleeting, fickle meta-game but on its own merits, constructed with a solid game plan meant to tackle the entire format, not just a small group of targeted archetypes.
    Sick of losing to unaccounted for but otherwise shitty rogue decks?
    Sick of forever forfeiting your end game primacy to big, dumb Tron and Valukut?
    Sick of all your legal card selection and tutors being both to underwhelming and overcosted?
    Sick of the often repeated myth that WOTC wants to make control viable in Modern?
    Have you ever regretted in the past of becoming involved in this variance cesspool of a format?

This brew is the long awaited deliverance that excels in all the departments that have doomed prior attempts at crafting a blue control deck that is format viable, not meta-game viable. Its not full of cumbersome spells that aggro decks can easily go under, its instant speed tutoring and flashing in permanents give it plenty of opportunities to outplay your opponents. Its control mechanisms possess a general enough application for the main deck to tackle most of this format's steam lined combo archetypes. Value creatures running away with the game is no longer a concern when vast majority of them can just be rendered insignificant with a single permanent.

Exclusive access to a cmc-1 card filtering cantrip similar in power level to the blue ones in Legacy.
    Finally wielding the long sought 4 cmc planewalker that serves as both a card filtering CA engine and win-con admirably.

What more could you ask for? Mox Opal is playable here. Blood Moon is actually tutorable in this deck and doesn't cement us into U/R. Actually no, "Blue Moon" is more apt because it turns everything into Island instead of mountains like you'd expect from a proper blue moon. "True Blue Moon" seems to be an apt nickname for this brew to adopt.

In the absence of potent artifact hate, no single archetype holds a definitive edge against this deck. The longstanding grievance in Modern has been the lack of sideboard space. Maybe its time to switch from the role as a victim to that of the perpetrator.

---------------------
    Extra Note

I never thought about competing on MTGO, because I believe its bad business to seriously invest cash in what I've heard to be a faulty program as opposed to something like the Dark Souls series for example. My experience with X-mage reaffirms this position since from I understand there isn't much difference between MTGO and x-mage in terms of quality. MTG is just a on and off hobby for me to kill time while I ride out my house arrest. I would just end up more frustrated if I seriously committed since I hate losing due to variance and I generally have despised Modern as a MTG format due to excess variance dictating it. Funny story that. I got involved in Modern again out of a desire to reform the Legacy Tezzeret deck, but then copped out for Modern, because it seemed simpler.

Besides, it seems I’m not cut out for my own brew at least for online play as the majority of my losses have resulted from timing out. My motivation for writing as much as I did is that I’m really proud how far I’ve I refined my brew, all in the face of a endless horde of critics. Initially I did want recognition, however that probably won’t come for a long time to come. I think it’ll come eventually; it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize Ancient Stirring and Ensnaring Bridge are the reason Lantern Control exist and then putting 2 + 2 together to end up with something similar to with this. Just requires someone with talent actually paying attention.
    Last edited by Bernkastel; 09-03-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Both Eldrazi decks and Lantern decks and Tron decks have many colorless parts of a proactive strategy

Lantern:
    4 Lantern
    7-8 Mill Rocks

Bant Eldrazi:
    Every non-hierarch creature

Tron:
    Lands (Get a special mention here over the other 2 decks because you need to find different lands in specific combinations, it's not like just adding a mana fixer to your hand)
    Map (Even though it's just a 'mana source', same as above)
    Big threats (Karn, Ugin, Ulamog, Wurmcoil)

In addition, these decks can use Stirrings to find boring mana sources (lands, mox etc) or cantrips (Bauble, Star) which is fine, but if that made Stirrings great on its own then every green deck would be playing it just to cantrip into lands. Lantern also does have colorless ways to interact that may or may not be good in certain matchups (4x Bridge and 2-3 Needle for example), and Tron can also use Stirrings to find Oblivion Stone, but the important point is that these decks have many colorless parts of a proactive strategy that will be playable no matter what the opponent is doing.

On the other hand, your deck:
    3 Bridge
    1 EE
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Quicksilver Fountain
    1 Sword of the Meek

The only card here that forms part of a proactive plan is 1 Sword. You also only have 8 total cards here you can find off of Ancient Stirrings that aren't either mana or cantrips. For these reasons I think Ancient Stirrings in this deck is not the right card to be playing.

Considering you are playing Mox Opal and Whir I would appreciate a bit more of an explanation of why you think Terrarion and Star are better than Mishra's Bauble. If the only reason is you need more fixing for your mana then you likely solve this problem by cutting Stirrings. Also, I would like to know more about why you dismiss Pentad Prism when people playing other builds of Whir-Tezzeret seem to be quite enthusiastic about this card (it quickly accelerates you into Tezzeret and also makes a lot of mana for Whir of Invention).

I like the idea of Quicksilver Fountain and if I was going to play Whir/Tezzeret I would certainly test it based on your enthusiastic recommendation but it seems like more of a sideboard card to me:
    - It does nothing against multicolor blue decks because you can't stop them fixing colors with blue shocklands
    - It does nothing if your opponent's plan is Scapeshift or Prismatic Omen, and your opponent is still able to win by titan because you can only disable one land at a time
    - It seems possibly good against Tron if you can put it into play quickly, but once your opponent has assembled Tron then all they need to do is play a land every turn and Fountain will never take the 7 mana away from them
    - Maybe it's good against a Jund-like nonblue midrange deck but I don't know how popular these are at the moment

The other reason why Fountain is a big question mark for me is that other lists of Whir/Tezz I have seen play Crucible, which you can use in a similar manner to deny mana from Tron decks by also playing Ghost Quarters.

I never thought about competing on MTGO, because I believe its bad business to seriously invest cash in what I've heard to be a faulty program as opposed to something like the Dark Souls series for example. My experience with X-mage reaffirms this position since from I understand there isn't much difference between MTGO and x-mage in terms of quality
    The general consensus of the MTG community is that Cockatrice/Xmage players are not very good and that you can win more often than you should by playing suboptimal cards, and I say this as somebody who uses Cockatrice fairly frequently. I think everybody who has played on both Cockatrice/Xmage and MTGO attests to the higher quality of opponents on MTGO; this is unsurprising as it is a natural consequence of having to pay an entry fee to compete. Whatever your 'constructed rating' is on Xmage doesn't really mean anything.

Continuing on with their folly, they place an highly inflated worth on the Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek combo with no consideration whatsoever on its limitation and so they’ll heedlessly fill up their deck with multiple copies of 2 cmc do-nothings.
    Thopter Sword is in fact a powerful combo that almost single-handedly shuts down aggressive strategies, is fairly difficult to interact with, and wins the game quickly if unopposed. By playing more than 2/1 copies of the pieces you increase your chances of naturally drawing one, at which point you only have 1 card you need to search for, not 2. Remember that your main reason for playing many Ensnaring Bridge is to stop the opponent's creatures that are attacking you and protect your life total, which is also a goal that is accomplished by unlimited 1/1 lifegain flying tokens. You can make arguments that favor the opposite position (and you have done this, by stating that Thopter/Sword costs too much mana and therefore comes online too late to be relevant) but preemptively labeling people who disagree with you as 'hypothetical idiot pilots' adds nothing to the discussion, and only paints you as an unreasonable person who is convinced of their own superiority and not interested in hearing any criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Both Eldrazi decks and Lantern decks and Tron decks have many colorless parts of a proactive strategy

Lantern:
    4 Lantern
    7-8 Mill Rocks

Bant Eldrazi:
    Every non-hierarch creature

Tron:
    Lands (Get a special mention here over the other 2 decks because you need to find different lands in specific combinations, it's not like just adding a mana fixer to your hand)
    Map (Even though it's just a 'mana source', same as above)
    Big threats (Karn, Ugin, Ulamog, Wurmcoil)

In addition, these decks can use Stirrings to find boring mana sources (lands, mox etc) or cantrips (Bauble, Star) which is fine, but if that made Stirrings great on its own then every green deck would be playing it just to cantrip into lands. Lantern also does have colorless ways to interact that may or may not be good in certain matchups (4x Bridge and 2-3 Needle for example), and Tron can also use Stirrings to find Oblivion Stone, but the important point is that these decks have many colorless parts of a proactive strategy that will be playable no matter what the opponent is doing.

On the other hand, your deck:
    3 Bridge
    1 EE
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Quicksilver Fountain
    1 Sword of the Meek

The only card here that forms part of a proactive plan is 1 Sword. You also only have 8 total cards here you can find off of Ancient Stirrings that aren't either mana or cantrips. For these reasons I think Ancient Stirrings in this deck is not the right card to be playing.

Considering you are playing Mox Opal and Whir I would appreciate a bit more of an explanation of why you think Terrarion and Star are better than Mishra's Bauble. If the only reason is you need more fixing for your mana then you likely solve this problem by cutting Stirrings. Also, I would like to know more about why you dismiss Pentad Prism when people playing other builds of Whir-Tezzeret seem to be quite enthusiastic about this card (it quickly accelerates you into Tezzeret and also makes a lot of mana for Whir of Invention).

I like the idea of Quicksilver Fountain and if I was going to play Whir/Tezzeret I would certainly test it based on your enthusiastic recommendation but it seems like more of a sideboard card to me:
    - It does nothing against multicolor blue decks because you can't stop them fixing colors with blue shocklands
    - It does nothing if your opponent's plan is Scapeshift or Prismatic Omen, and your opponent is still able to win by titan because you can only disable one land at a time
    - It seems possibly good against Tron if you can put it into play quickly, but once your opponent has assembled Tron then all they need to do is play a land every turn and Fountain will never take the 7 mana away from them
    - Maybe it's good against a Jund-like nonblue midrange deck but I don't know how popular these are at the moment

The other reason why Fountain is a big question mark for me is that other lists of Whir/Tezz I have seen play Crucible, which you can use in a similar manner to deny mana from Tron decks by also playing Ghost Quarters.

The general consensus of the MTG community is that Cockatrice/Xmage players are not very good and that you can win more often than you should by playing suboptimal cards, and I say this as somebody who uses Cockatrice fairly frequently. I think everybody who has played on both Cockatrice/Xmage and MTGO attests to the higher quality of opponents on MTGO; this is unsurprising as it is a natural consequence of having to pay an entry fee to compete. Whatever your 'constructed rating' is on Xmage doesn't really mean anything.

Thopter Sword is in fact a powerful combo that almost single-handedly shuts down aggressive strategies, is fairly difficult to interact with, and wins the game quickly if unopposed. By playing more than 2/1 copies of the pieces you increase your chances of naturally drawing one, at which point you only have 1 card you need to search for, not 2. Remember that your main reason for playing many Ensnaring Bridge is to stop the opponent's creatures that are attacking you and protect your life total, which is also a goal that is accomplished by unlimited 1/1 lifegain flying tokens. You can make arguments that favor the opposite position (and you have done this, by stating that Thopter/Sword costs too much mana and therefore comes online too late to be relevant) but preemptively labeling people who disagree with you as 'hypothetical idiot pilots' adds nothing to the discussion, and only paints you as an unreasonable person who is convinced of their own superiority and not interested in hearing any criticism.

This piece was written primarily for you;

Quote Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
    This favorable MU pre-sideboard against Grixis Death Shadow is perhaps the strongest example to superiority of my build philosophy in contrast to those shitty U/B Tezzerator scrubs. I stuck to my principle to never sacrifice on card economy and instead fixed my mana-curve so I can cleanly achieve hell-bent status for Ensnaring Bridge. They’re instead fixated on making some sweet play on turn 2-3 and they are so unbelievably foolish enough to believe they will win the game on the spot for this action. So they’ll rely on essentially Simian Spirit Guide-esque cards to accomplish this feat.

Continuing on with their folly, they place an highly inflated worth on the Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek combo with no consideration whatsoever on its limitation and so they’ll heedlessly fill up their deck with multiple copies of 2 cmc do-nothings. At this point things start to become a self fulfilling prophecy to their faulty logic that leads them to drown further on in their cesspool of error.

Assuming your hypothetical idiot pilot managed to assemble the 2 card combo in their opening hand, an investment of 4 mana minimum is needed before he sees his first thopter token and rightfully so this is too slow for Modern without acceleration. But oh look, now the idiot pilot’s deck is full of 2 cmc do-nothings and this is in addition to all the even more expensive tutors + card selection already placed there. The idiot pilot reasons he must add even more mana sources. Also let us not forget that after losing a game or 2 to a more streamlined combo archetype, idiot pilot will want tutor targets that will protect him from those things as well. This all leaves very little space for cheap actual disruption, so this allows the enemy to develop their board unabated. Idiot pilot feels intense pressure to assemble the combo right away and starts feeling justified in sacrificing card economy for temporary acceleration. Idiot pilot assembles the thopter combo, but his pitiful land count will only let him create 2 thopter tokens. Opponent spends his removal on those pitiful blockers to swing for lethal. Idiot pilot reasons he lost because he was too slow and so assumes maximum speed is necessary.

Also, you may be wondering how these self fulfilling fools can reasonably rely on Ensnaring Bridge to protect them against a gold fishing aggro player when their hands have so much potential to clutter and the answer is they don’t, they just cop out by escalating with Collective Brutality. A lot of them are even distancing themselves away from Ensnaring Bridge with only 1 or 2 copies. It just goes to show you their warped priorities.

A modern deck that puts all its eggs on 1 basket can never hope to overtake an archetype like Grixis Death Shadow. They fall apart when their 1 or 2 relevant spells get disrupted and flood out on useless mana sources. Finally, Thopter Foundry is not a dead/terrible without the Swords in my brew, as it has plenty of sacrificial fodder that are not dead cards by themselves either unless of course you feel a 1/1 flyer is totally worth a card.

I only briefly skimmed through your post, I believe you asked 1 advantage those artifact eggs have over Mishra's Bauble, and that's easy; they're legitimate fodder for Thopter Foundry. Seems like the piece I dedicated for you guys addresses that as well though so I suppose there's nothing else of merit here either.

The only thing I have to say to is... I never ever want my deck to ever be associated or compared with your tier 3-4 filth. I take great insult to that very act alone. Go back to reddit or MTG salv where you belong. This is a refined PRISON archetype, not some weird mesh of a combo archetype that I should ever feel rushed to end the game. BYE

Edit: Perhaps this is too overly aggressive, but you clowns made other avenues inhospitable for me.

Edit again: I was bored, so I at least read the end paragraph. YOU guys were the ones who burned that bridge for cooperation long ago, not me. Besides, the only group I was specifically asking feedback from were veteran Lantern Control pilots to begin with.

By playing more than 2/1 copies of the pieces you also increase the chances of cluttering your hand with dead cards that won't stave off aggression. There is no comparison between Bridge and thopter combo either as well. Bridge doesn't need anything else to function and flat out ends the aggression. A couple of 1/1 flyers per turn is nowhere as reliable, which can easily be bypassed by all the removal spells you've turned on. The only other artifact I would typically feel pressure to churn out quickly would be Quicksilver Fountain, which is why I want to make room for 3rd copy in SB.
    Last edited by Bernkastel; 09-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Edit: Perhaps this is too overly aggressive, but you clowns made other avenues inhospitable for me.
    What?

I don't post on reddit or salvation, but your insistence that I return there is slightly ironic given that this thread feels like an x-post from r/iamverysmart...

If everywhere you go smells like shit, check your shoe.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Anyone else feeling awkward about this guy's public display of angry masturbation?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I've easily obtained a +1600 constructed rating on x-mage woogerworks server within the first 3 days I played
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    +1.6 k constructed rating is about the top 1% of entire server?? Well, its not exactly that challenging to begin with, I just did it in spite of accruing losses left and right due to my unfamiliarity with the platform. Purely with my own brew as well unlike the majority who just got there net decking the best decks. I was more interested testing against people of similar score than trying to jump to 1.7 k at that point and a key card in my deck stopped functioning in the middle of it all. Your post makes 0 sense, unless of course you're insinuating the ENTIRETY of the player base on X-mage is trash no exceptions.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

There's probably a few fine players, but in general people on xmage or cockatrice are pretty bad. I'd always take results from there with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi
    If everywhere you go smells like shit, check your shoe.
    I have been looking for the best way to say this succinctly. This is it - and with a shining excellent example of its lovely uses.
    Thank you, sir.

Sadly, I missed this fellow's entire career. The brightest stars do burn out too quickly.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information