Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Re: [DTB] UWx Stoneblade

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    This seems pretty decent with TNN and Jitte.

Edit: and Jace and Elspeth and tons of other possibilities to boot.
    I don't see it tbh. Isn't this card win more? It heavily relies on other cards for its effect to be good. The protection colors are amazing ofcourse. But i don't see myself running this instead of anything else.

How necessary do you guys feel the red splash is nowadays with all the narsets around? Or do you think its not as needed as in miracles.

TNN: 3/1, +2/+2 from sword. First attack deals 5 damage and gives it a +1/+1 counter and proliferates it. TNN is now a 5/3 with +2/+2 from sword. Second turn he swings for 7, gets another 2 counters and swings the following turn for 9. Thats a 3 turn clock on a creature that is normally a 7 turn clock, and actively protects TNN from one of only a couple ways to get rid of him in the form of -x effects.

You may not see it, but it seems a mistake to not test it adequately before dismissing it; pro blue pro white is, on its own, simply wonderful outside of TNN.

They were certainly mindful of how powerful this sword could be if they were not careful.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dec 2010
    Montreal

SoFaI is also a 3 turn clock on TNN and draws cards in the process. All the swords protect from -1/-1 effects.

Honestly if you want a "protection" sword I think SoLaS is better and provides some decent card advantage.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Of course it is, I wasn't trying to compare swords, only speak to this one's viability and application - the card draw on Sofi is imho often winmore due you already playing 4 bs + x ponder and other options; it matters more in dnt by a lot. I disagree with Solas being any good at all. Honestly, I would test this new sword if it had no abilities past the protections and the +2 stats.

Maybe I'm more into it because of DnT. I often don't share the same viewpoints about equipment and creatures in this deck as those who play this stoneforge list but not DnT.

I am very sure this card gets some play in a legacy format still lousy with miracles and tnn.

Hello, I'm trying to play this archtype and I bring it at a local tournament last saturday (my first time piloting this deck). My list is an UW Stonblade:

Lands-20
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Marsh Flats
    6 Island
    2 Plains
    2 Tundra

Creatures-11
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage

Spells-21
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Spell Snare

Planeswalkers-3
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils

Artifacts-2
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Enchantments-2
    2 Back to Basics

Sideboard:
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Disenchant
    2 Palace Jailer
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Vendilion Clique

1° Round Vs. UB Reanimator (2-0) 1-0
    Side-in: 2 Vendilion Clique, 2 Containment Priest, 2 Flusterstorm, 2 Surgical Extraction, 1 Ashiok, Dream Render
    Side-out: 4 Stoneforge Mystic, 1 Batterskull, 1 Umezawa's Jitte, 2 True-Name Nemesis, 1 Narset, Parter of Veils

2° Round Vs. Goblins (2-0) 2-0
    Side-in: 2 Containment Preist, 1 Disenchant, 2 Supreme Verdict
    Side-out: 2 Spell Pierce, 2 Force of Will, 1 Counterspell

3° Round Vs. Eldrazi (2-0) 3-0
    Side-in: 1 Disenchant, 2 Supreme Verdict, 2 Palace Jailer
    Side-out: 2 Spell Pierce, 1 Spell Snare, 1 Counterspell, 1 Narset, Parter of Veils

4° Round Vs. Show&Tell (2-0) 4-0
    Side-in: 2 Vendilion clique, 2 Flusterstorm, 2 Containment Priest, 1 Disenchant, 2 Palace Jailer
    Side-out: 4 Swords to Plowshares, 3 Stoneforge Mystic, 1 Umezawa's Jitte, 1 True-Name Nemesi

5° Round Vs. Neoform (2-0) 5-0
    Side-in: 2 Containment Priest, 2 Surgical Extraction, 2 Flusterstorm
    Side-out: 4 Stoneforge Mystic, 1 Batterskull, 1 Umezawa's Jitte

I like this deck, is very solid and i want try it again in other events. May anyone help me in sideboarding better or any other advice? Thanks all for the reading...

The starting 60 looks pretty solid.
    You should probably swap out 3 polluted delta/misty rainforest and 1 marsh flats for 4 prismatic vista. It makes your mana that much more stable. It’s probably a marginal upgrade, but there’s no reason for you not to do it either.
    I’d also go with 1 more jace if possible. While narset is powerful I don’t see her as a jace replacement.

Sideboard:
    Narset, Parter of Veils-Do you really need a third copy?
    Ashiok, Dream Render-Seem pretty eh to me. If you have a compelling reason to be playing her so be it, I couldn’t justify it though.

With regards to sideboarding:
    UB Reanimator:
    Stoneblade can have a real problem with combo decks, partly because it just doesn’t have a compelling clock. SFM plus batterskull is fastest clock this deck offers, and it’s still decently slow.
    Which is why I disagree with subbing out your entire SFM package. You need to apply pressure with them. And if SFM+Batterskull is a slow clock, TNN’s clock is positively glacial. Plus UB reanimator doesn’t have many targeted killspells if any, so TNN’s protection clause is largely irrelevant.
    Ashiok probably isn’t that good here. UB reanimator tends to be pretty land light, and entomb is a 1 mana instant. Probably not great odds that Ashiok is able to stop a relevant fetchland or 1 mana instant.

In: 2 Vendilion Clique, 2 Containment Priest, 2 Flusterstorm, 2 Surgical Extraction
    Out: 4 True Name Nemesis, 2 Council’s Judgment, 1 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Show and Tell:
    IMO, same story as UB reanimator, you need a clock to kill show and tell, but you’ve taken it out. I don’t know why didn’t bring vendilion clique in for this matchup, but you probably should.

In: 2 Vendilion Clique, 2 Containment Priest, 2 Flusterstorm, 2 Surgical Extraction, 1 Disenchant
    Out: 4 True Name Nemesis, 2 Council’s Judgment, 1 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Umezawa’s Jitte, 1 Spell Snare

I've been playing this lately and won the last few local events undefeated. Lots of fun.

Got a 4-1 in a league with it today. I'll wait until London mull is back to continue playing it on MTGO, though.
    Last edited by oOOoOphidian; 06-24-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by First_Revenge View Post
    The starting 60 looks pretty solid.
    You should probably swap out 3 polluted delta/misty rainforest and 1 marsh flats for 4 prismatic vista. It makes your mana that much more stable. It’s probably a marginal upgrade, but there’s no reason for you not to do it either.
    That's a good point... I should buy 4 Prismatic Vista.

I’d also go with 1 more jace if possible. While narset is powerful I don’t see her as a jace replacement.

Sideboard:
    Narset, Parter of Veils-Do you really need a third copy?
    Ashiok, Dream Render-Seem pretty eh to me. If you have a compelling reason to be playing her so be it, I couldn’t justify it though.
    I have only one Jace and I hate it, plus Narset beats opponent's Jaces. Ashiok is my tech slot, I like him versus a lots of matchups

With regards to sideboarding:
    UB Reanimator:
    Stoneblade can have a real problem with combo decks, partly because it just doesn’t have a compelling clock. SFM plus batterskull is fastest clock this deck offers, and it’s still decently slow.
    Which is why I disagree with subbing out your entire SFM package. You need to apply pressure with them. And if SFM+Batterskull is a slow clock, TNN’s clock is positively glacial. Plus UB reanimator doesn’t have many targeted killspells if any, so TNN’s protection clause is largely irrelevant.
    Ashiok probably isn’t that good here. UB reanimator tends to be pretty land light, and entomb is a 1 mana instant. Probably not great odds that Ashiok is able to stop a relevant fetchland or 1 mana instant.

In: 2 Vendilion Clique, 2 Containment Priest, 2 Flusterstorm, 2 Surgical Extraction
    Out: 4 True Name Nemesis, 2 Council’s Judgment, 1 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Show and Tell:
    IMO, same story as UB reanimator, you need a clock to kill show and tell, but you’ve taken it out. I don’t know why didn’t bring vendilion clique in for this matchup, but you probably should.

In: 2 Vendilion Clique, 2 Containment Priest, 2 Flusterstorm, 2 Surgical Extraction, 1 Disenchant
    Out: 4 True Name Nemesis, 2 Council’s Judgment, 1 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Umezawa’s Jitte, 1 Spell Snare
    I agree with about the fastest clock possible. I put 2 Vendilion and I also put Jailer because, if Sho&Tell resolves, I could exile Emrakul with the Jailer.

Sinew and Steel seems the better of the Allied swords.

Has anyone else been tinkering with prismatic vista?

I've done a little bit of testing of 4c stoneblade with prismatic vista and its been more stable than i initially thought it would be. The prismatic vista seems to be playing a fairly large role in that. It does require the removal of spells like council's judgement which require double non blue colored mana. I'm trying an esper build splashing a mountain and a volcanic. Mostly for pyroblast effects.

I've done a little bit of testing of 4c stoneblade with prismatic vista and its been more stable than i initially thought it would be. The prismatic vista seems to be playing a fairly large role in that. It does require the removal of spells like council's judgement which require double non blue colored mana. I'm trying an esper build splashing a mountain and a volcanic. Mostly for pyroblast effects.
    The only place I have considered it is as a 1 to 2 of in a UW list. Seems pretty terrible in anything more splashy.

I've been quite happy with vista as it helps you play through wastelands. I'm still winning a lot with the arcanist list and I highly recommend it. Here's my latest version:

Tonight I 2-0'd Miracles, 2-0'd Grixis Control, 2-1'd 4c Loam/Wrenn, and 2-1'd Jund Wrenn

That picture has me guessing on a few cards. Any chance of a quick typed list?

Yeah, would love to see the full 75.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

I run uw blade. 2x vistas seems great. I am currently on one volc and 2 pyro 1 reb for mirror sitcoms. Feels fine.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Preordain

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Council's Judgment

4 Force of Will
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Dovin's Veto
    1 Counterspell
    1 Spell Pierce

2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils

SB:
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Wear/Tear
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Blazing Volley
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Force of Negation
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest

Not bad, I am using it as a starting point for myself. Thank you for sharing. I have one thing I dislike about the list, and that is it has only 2 equipment. I know how a lot of you feel, but hear me out: This is ostensibly incorrect for a couple reasons in my opinion. Arcanist has trample, so the +2/+2 allows for a much greater chance of your sword triggering even through blockers. The +2 stat buff would also allow for casting a non-zero number of CJ from the 'yard, which I find tempting.

Is the Preordain better than another bolt?

Not bad, I am using it as a starting point for myself. Thank you for sharing. I have one thing I dislike about the list, and that is it has only 2 equipment. I know how a lot of you feel, but hear me out: This is ostensibly incorrect for a couple reasons in my opinion. Arcanist has trample, so the +2/+2 allows for a much greater chance of your sword triggering even through blockers. The +2 stat buff would also allow for casting a non-zero number of CJ from the 'yard, which I find tempting.

Is the Preordain better than another bolt?

I was thinking that perhaps replacing the Jitte with SOFI (or sword of your choice) by upping the bolt count to 3 or even 4. With 7-8 1cc removal spells and arcanist flashing them back, jitte doesn't seem necessary (assuming it's main mode most of the time is -1/-1).

I don't think I will be comfortable with that idea, but to each his own. I'm dropping a Jace for it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I don't think I will be comfortable with that idea, but to each his own. I'm dropping a Jace for it.

In the old days (of running things like Lingering Souls), it was not uncommon to drop Batterskull to get more "realistically equipable" pieces in there. But Batterskull might be too needed now for stabilizing in some of the worst match-ups. Although, considering how many decks are in Red now, 4 mana Blues spells might indeed be a liability.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information