Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

Draw-Go Disciple
    Feb 2017
    Clermont-Ferrand

Quote Originally Posted by LyleCInDaHouse View Post
    The card is terrible, why do you want it ?

Blood-Forged Battle-Axe is better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sep 2014
    Newport Beach, California

That card is terrible. It doesn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by QKisMyName View Post
    That card is terrible. It doesn't do anything.
    it taps for three mana! everyone knows control decks want mana to cast their big flashy spells. With multiple vales, you can actually bounce and cast Beaterskull in case your SFM dies..

Quote Originally Posted by 13b View Post
    Alright guys I need some help here - I played in a monthly tournament today. Had a little over 30 players and I got hosed all day on Esper blade.
    Here is my 75

Lands - 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Wasteland

Creatures - 11
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Baleful Strix

Artifacts/Enchants/Planeswalkers - 5
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculpture

Spells - 23
    4 Force of Will
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Counterspell
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Brainstorn
    2 Ponder
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Inquisition of Kozelik
    1 Council's Judgement

Sideboard - 15
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Disenchant

Round 1 - RG Lands 0-2
    Game 1: Got hosed by wasteland/Ghost Quarter lock
    Game 2: See game 1

Round 2 - Bantblade? w/ Aethervila, Cryptic Command and Sylvan safekeeper 0-2
    Game 1: He turn 1 vials and out tempos me until he gets an active jitte
    Game 2: He was able to flick Safekeep w/ command and a vial on 3 before resolving a sfm for batterskull

Round 3 - ANT 0-2
    Game 1: I have a good opener w/ a counterspell, a sfm, brainstorm and ponder. I cantrip trying to find a white source to start a clock (had double UG sea) i was able to counter her first tutor, but drew into nothing and I was tendril's for 20 ending w/ a hand of sfmx2, stpx3, tnn, fatal push. Never finding a third land or white source
    Game 2: I had a good opener but was forced to blow my fow on a defense grid to keep my other outs alive. I resolved a RiP to stop any past in flames but went off on turn 4 w/ a double LED, git probe, into tutor x2 for warrens on 7

So im pretty discouraged at this point but my buddy was doing well so I decided to not drop so I wasnt just sitting there doing nothing.

Round 4 - Jeskai Blade 2-0
    Game 1: Im able to lead w/ a t1 thoughtseize to pull a bolt and land a t2 SFM for batterskull. I stp his sfm and run away w/ a batterskull and tnn
    Game 2: We fight over board before the dust settles on a single tnn on his end im at about 12 life when im able to get a strix w/ jitte on board. I get a tnn of my own and bring it home

Round 5 - RG Lands 0-2
    Game 1: I start strong w/a t1 thoughtseize pulling his library and resolved a t2 sfm. He ripped a pfire, and comboed the following turn off an explore.
    Game 2: I again start w/ a thoughtseize he has gamble, crop rotation x2, pfire, a loam and 2 lands. I take his loam and surgical it. a couple turns later he plays a tireless tracker (which I forced, maybe a mistake? I dont have a lot of lands experience outside of today) he double rotates for the combo and swings over my batterskull and sfm

I'm not sure what it was exactly that resulted in such a tough day - i did have a couple of poor draws, and maybe some questionable keeps (which i know will come w/ experience) But im so clueless on how to actually win vs lands especially game 1. Is there something im missing overall? Any noticeable holes in the list? I went into this tournament to a completely unk meta as ive never played at this shop before.
    Hey, first off, lands is a bad matchup. It's rare I take a match from an experienced lands player. But the way you can squeak out a win is with a timely Surgical Extraction on Wasteland or Loam. You need to counter their Exploration or Gamble turn one, as good lands players will only keep hands that have access to accelleration. You need to slow them down enough so you can start beating down with True-Name Nemesis. Diabolic Edict helps in the matchup because it's a way to kill Marit Lage without gaining your opponent 20 life. Pithing Needle on Thespian Stage, Maze of Ith, Wasteland, or Ghost Quarter also helps.

Most Esper lists do not play Wasteland. I notice you are, and you're playing color-intensive cards alongside it like Baleful Strix and Council's Judgement. I have recently cut Wasteland from Esper Stoneblade and placed in another Underground Sea and another flex land.

Other than that, Esper Stoneblade is a very difficult deck to pilot, and experience is the key. It's unforgiving, and every play mistake can cost you the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleCInDaHouse View Post
    it taps for three mana! everyone knows control decks want mana to cast their big flashy spells. With multiple vales, you can actually bounce and cast Beaterskull in case your SFM dies..
    Can't tell if you're serious or not about playing more than one of this card, but when Stoneforge dies, there are other ways to get value from Batterskull without having access to 8 mana to bounce and replay. You can treat it like an extra card in your hand with Brainstorm/Jace, and you can put it back into your library for future Stoneforge triggers. You can also leave it on the field to equip to other creatures.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I'm not sure what it was exactly that resulted in such a tough day - i did have a couple of poor draws, and maybe some questionable keeps (which i know will come w/ experience) But im so clueless on how to actually win vs lands especially game 1. Is there something im missing overall? Any noticeable holes in the list? I went into this tournament to a completely unk meta as ive never played at this shop before.
    It's a very hard matchup for sure. Game 1 usually comes down to TNN or JTMS and sometimes you can chisel them down with SFMs, Strixes and Snapcasters. I usually feel somewhat favored game 2 especially when I have a surgical + snapcaster hand. Don't be afraid to force a Loam or Exploration, the best way to win this match is to force them to play "fairly". Karakas is also a nice utility land.

I don't think that running wastelands is that bad. In the past the deck has run a number of utility lands e.g. Karakas, Tar Pit, Academy Ruins, etc. Instead of running any of those you are just running wastelands, the mana is roughly the same as the Martell list that won the GP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

One UWr Stoneblade deck made top8 at MKM Hamburg (around 300 players).

Any1 playing UW or UWr @ MKM Hamburg can report on his/her tournament ?

Thanks

I was about to play at MKM Hamburg, but sadly i woke up being Ill. I decided to go to the side to play anyway (a few painkillers could do the trick).
    I arrive and get registret for my R1 bye. I was curious about where my friend on burn was seated, so i checked the seatings for R1. I found myself there... well went to the TO to report the issue and it got fixed. Sadly my illness got alot worse during R1 and i didnt have more painkillers.
    R2 is about to start and i go check where Im seated. And Im not on the list... again i went to TO and they said it would be fixed for R3. At this point i really felt sick and a was a bit conserned about infecting my opponents. For that reason i sugggested the TO that they could give me a refund and I could go home. An offer they took. So no Legacy for me this weekend sadly, but i did manage to 7-2 modern on saturday. Sadly i lost my win and in match but variance is a larger issue in modern.

I did watch some matches in R1-2 and to me the skill level in Hamburg seemed very low. Alot of those people i saw made modtages (huge) in R1-2 which cant be a symptom of exhaustion. So Im very optemistic about further MKM series. I will take it Down some Day i hope :)

Is there a Blade discord group?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You obviously did not watch me play...

Probably not - mind sharing your list/choices etc? :)

Sorry, I did not play UWx Stoneblade. Well, I kinda did, but cut the lategame to squeeze in Delver and Dazes. Went 7-2, losing to UWr Stoneblade in r7 and Eldrazi in r8.
    I just thought your statement about the skill level at the event was rather strange. My opponents at the top tables played very well (most of the time) and apart from the winner (SnT) no one I saw playing made an above-average amount of punts.
    Seeing random dudes punt in r1 or 2 is no indicator of the skill level of the top 5-10%. Only those matter if you wanna make top8.
    Cant wait to see you there next time... whats your name?

Hi there,

I've played casually before but, hoping to attend my first Legacy FNM this coming Friday and thinking of taking the list below. Or at least, this is what i have sleeved up currently but, i know it's not ideal. I'm hoping for some suggestions about changes to the list as a whole(?).

I know there will be at least Aluren/Food Chain (or Sultai fun stuff), Elves, Pox and potentially a couple of U/Wx Control to contend with. Unsure of rest of the field.

Any and all suggestions about the list and/or strategy appreciated..

Lands - 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

Creatures - 10
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique

Artifacts - 3
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Walkers - 2
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Instant - 19
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce (Unsure on numbers)
    2 Counterspell
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Misdirection (Flex slot?)

Sorcery - 5
    3 Ponder
    1 Toxic Deluge (Main?)
    1 Council's Judgement

Sideboard - 15
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice??

Quote Originally Posted by NedB37 View Post
    Hi there,

I've played casually before but, hoping to attend my first Legacy FNM this coming Friday and thinking of taking the list below. Or at least, this is what i have sleeved up currently but, i know it's not ideal. I'm hoping for some suggestions about changes to the list as a whole(?).

I know there will be at least Aluren/Food Chain (or Sultai fun stuff), Elves, Pox and potentially a couple of U/Wx Control to contend with. Unsure of rest of the field.

Any and all suggestions about the list and/or strategy appreciated..

Lands - 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

Creatures - 10
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique

Artifacts - 3
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Walkers - 2
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Instant - 19
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce (Unsure on numbers)
    2 Counterspell
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Misdirection (Flex slot?)

Sorcery - 5
    3 Ponder
    1 Toxic Deluge (Main?)
    1 Council's Judgement

Sideboard - 15
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice??
    Interesting list you have there. I am probably one of the few here playing esper with no Drs.
    The part I find interesting is you are using black for essentially fatal push mainboard.
    If you want a primarily UW Shell id say play uwr with bolts instead. If you like esper. Id look toward utilizing some discard and possibly baleful strix. I personally run 2 strix, 3 thoughtseize and 1 iok. with the 4th thoughtseize on the board.

For reference here is my list.
    Land 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh flats
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    2 Island
    2 Wasteland

Creatures 12
    4 Stoneforge
    3 Tnn
    3 Snapcaster
    2 Strix

Spells 22
    4 Fow
    1 Counterspell
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    4 swords to plow
    2 fatal push
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Iok
    1 Councils Judgement

Other
    2 Jtms
    1 EE
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Board 15
    1 Priest
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Cannonist
    2 Zealous
    1 Verdict
    2 Disenchant
    1 Sword of feast and famine
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Fluster
    2 Surgical
    1 Rip

Interesting list you have there. I am probably one of the few here playing esper with no Drs.
    The part I find interesting is you are using black for essentially fatal push mainboard.
    If you want a primarily UW Shell id say play uwr with bolts instead. If you like esper. Id look toward utilizing some discard and possibly baleful strix. I personally run 2 strix, 3 thoughtseize and 1 iok. with the 4th thoughtseize on the board.

For reference here is my list.
    Land 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh flats
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    2 Island
    2 Wasteland

Creatures 12
    4 Stoneforge
    3 Tnn
    3 Snapcaster
    2 Strix

Spells 22
    4 Fow
    1 Counterspell
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    4 swords to plow
    2 fatal push
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Iok
    1 Councils Judgement

Other
    2 Jtms
    1 EE
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Board 15
    1 Priest
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Cannonist
    2 Zealous
    1 Verdict
    2 Disenchant
    1 Sword of feast and famine
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Fluster
    2 Surgical
    1 Rip
    How do you find playing esper with 21 lands and two colorless sources? I've been on U/w for a while now but I seem to remember it being color intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Elthryn View Post
    How do you find playing esper with 21 lands and two colorless sources? I've been on U/w for a while now but I seem to remember it being color intensive.
    For the most part I haven't ran into to many issues, the most common issue is double white for judgement if I'm playing a tight mana game or strictly on basics

Hi, thanks for the response! I agree, it's more of a splash now but originally had 2x Thoughtseize MB but, i found it to be awkward at times but am open to trying them again. I've not played with Strix before in this shell but also open to trying it. What to cut may be the issue.

Clique is an interesting one. Without that, i don't 'need' the Karakas (although good answer to Leo) and could go up a fetch/basic.

-1 Spell Pierce
    -1 Misdirection
    +2 Thoughtseize.

Unsure of cuts for Strix, though. Obvious choice is Clique and Deluge but having Deluge MB has actually proved quite useful (i play against elves quite often).

Also need to revisit the SB.

*edit* also, i'm yet to run into any serious issues with mana running 21 lands and the mix i have.

Ok, so i went to the FNM and sadly only four people could make it, due to various reasons. I went 0-3 in a round robin with the list i'd previously published against Pox, Burn and Food Chain. I essentially either had no mana or threats (Pox), no mana or flooded (Burn) or made horrendous misplays towards the end of the night after an 11 hour work day with a head cold (Food Chain). I learned a LOT though and as such, made some changes and the list already 'feels' much better. Although there's still a couple i'm unsure of and a one of Doomfall that i just want to try.

I'm hoping to get some more games soon with this list and see how i go :)

Lands - 21
    3 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Wasteland
    1 Karakas