Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Re: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Not sure what you meant about the luck of counteragic, though? Mine or my opponents? I had a really good account of finding the correct counters, usually. Helped that I drew a zillion cards. If you mean my opponents, lucky removal was more paralyzing some games than lucky counters.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    Not sure what you meant about the luck of counteragic, though? Mine or my opponents? I had a really good account of finding the correct counters, usually. Helped that I drew a zillion cards. If you mean my opponents, lucky removal was more paralyzing some games than lucky counters.
    yea u are right not entirely luck of countermagic but 4+1+1 counters arent so little against show n tell or storm deck? i know from side we have clique rip surgical and priest for these deck but i wanted to ask you! Would it be easy for you to give a sort sideboard path at least from the tournament mus?

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by ventouza6969 View Post
    yea u are right not entirely luck of countermagic but 4+1+1 counters arent so little against show n tell or storm deck? i know from side we have clique rip surgical and priest for these deck but i wanted to ask you! Would it be easy for you to give a sort sideboard path at least from the tournament mus?
    Ah. Gotcha. Yes, s and tell ive basically conceeded g1 by not having the flusters and a counterspell main. Obviously i cut like a preordian, and two counters and or a sofi from the main deck for the aks, which made all my control and fair midrange and non blue combo matches better.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

I saw the request for a sb guide on the reddit site too. I'm going to try to write one up in the next day or two. I have a fairly decent (and lucky) show amd tell player in my local meta so i can tag that on in the end with a couple of other addictions.

Oct 2018
    New Jersey, USA

I'd be interested in hearing malfie13's thoughts on it, but figure that everyone could contribute.

What is the thought on running Weathered Wayfarer in the main. A lot of our threats start materializing on turn 2. Is the turn one cantrip filtering that important? A turn 1 Brainstorm feels pretty poor when you can't immediately shuffle away the chaff.

Definitely not a 4-of. Probably a 2-of at most.

My thought with Wayfayer is that it lets us immediately have a threat against a control deck that they need to answer. It would be a reliable way to find Karakas in the matches where it matters, and an additional ability to spend mana on during the opponent's endstep rather than just SFM.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by keepflyin View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing malfie13's thoughts on it, but figure that everyone could contribute.

What is the thought on running Weathered Wayfarer in the main. A lot of our threats start materializing on turn 2. Is the turn one cantrip filtering that important? A turn 1 Brainstorm feels pretty poor when you can't immediately shuffle away the chaff.

My thought with Wayfayer is that it lets us immediately have a threat against a control deck that they need to answer. It would be a reliable way to find Karakas in the matches where it matters, and an additional ability to spend mana on during the opponent's endstep rather than just SFM.
    Lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Oct 2018
    New Jersey, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Lmao
    If you don't want be constructive then don't contribute. Decks get better by continuously trying out new cards and re-evaluating old ones.
    WW has significant strength in a m/u against a control deck and if you don't realize the power it brings to a deck maybe you have't lost to it recently enough.

Having a threat on T1 that will draw us a card every turn of the game can be huge. Even if it is only drawing lands (which isn't bad) we can put them back with BS/Jace.

And on the play, we can fetch out basic, and then respond to our own t2 fetch with wayfayer in their end after they play a second land-drop. At which point they couldn't even fetch and fail to find to counter it. Because WW only restricts activation, unlike tax which checks on resolution of trigger.

Well, ponder costs half as much and often does the same job of finding that next land. This concept feels like it's effect is replaceable, and by doing so reduces awkward early game decisions of "do I jam stoneforge or do I activate WW?" The other thing is that its effect is not always available to activate. DSDelver can operate on a single land. You will never get to activate it versus it and at least a couple other lists.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying its not clear if it's even useful, and if it is, if its remotely good enough.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you don't want be constructive then don't contribute.
    Oh boy, this makes me think, you're rather new to the internetz :D

Jokes aside, I actually like the idea of WW. At first I thought: "What would I even want this for?"
    But then I read this:

we can fetch out basic, and then respond to our own t2 fetch
    ..and remembered we are also a wasteland deck. So I can definetly see some cute lines of play with it, that put you considerably ahead.

Also I don't see that problem of awkward early game decisions as Secretly.A.Bee stated. I have to decide between STM, leaving mana open for Counterpell or for brainstorm fetch or, or, or... I rather think more possible lines of play and more strategies are great.

But do we desperatly need this in our 75? Probably not, as Blade has one of the most resilient and consistant manabases already. With all the cantripping going on, I find myself dropping a land every single turn already. So it's pure card advantage. While this perfectly fits into the concept of traditional Blade lists, the question is: Do we need even more of that?

I guess most people who want to slam something turn one, will simply add Delver. They are doing it already.

Personally, I can see me giving this card a try, next time I have a chance to play.

I have a strong feeling, you're absolutely right on this.

Realistically probably not. Legacy has too many decks that can operate off 1 or 2 lands. I can see it being a blank in a lot of cases. I also don’t necessarily like this card more than any of the other cards that are getting tossed into stoneblade shells these days. So I’m not sure what I would cut to make room.

If I really wanted to make this work I’d try exploring utility lands. The grindier decks of the format like grixis control/miracles generally have a hard time dealing with utility lands. IMO academy ruins is a prime example of a card that I’d love to have more consistent access too but can’t. And academy ruins can set up loops with strix, equipment, or engineered explosives that decks like grixis control are really going to struggle to answer. Other utility lands I’d try would be volrath’s stronghold, karakas, and maybe a manland or two?

Perhaps the best example of the power of utility lands is joe losset’s stoneblade list:
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19841&d=328098&f=LE
    The deck could probably benefit from a more consistent way to reach the utility lands it needs. But then again I don’t think wayfarer is good enough to cut anything from that list.

On the utility land topic I'd like to mention Riptide Laboratory, which could add lines of Snapcaster abuses next to Venser & Clique. But they already profit from Karakas. Nonetheless anytime I'd like to try that one out.

Sep 2014
    Newport Beach, California

Lol, you can’t be serious

Oct 2018
    New Jersey, USA

I played about 30 matches in the past couple of days testing out the WW as a 2-of, Riptide, and a Kjeldoran Outpost.

I shaved the Teferi, kept a main Venser, and upped the Clique count to 2 in the main. My thought which felt correct while playing was that the Teferi is really our 'big mana' end game. Since even BS we can typically cheat in with SFM, so we are trading that top end for the Riptide+Snap/Clique/Venser topend. To fit the 2ed Clique, I only swapped one of the TNNs from main to board for the Clique that was in the board.

My cantrips kept the same 4 ponder 4 bs, and I have been running the AKs as well.

After testing through it (and while it wasn't the most rigorous testing with the small sample size) while I think there may be a deck there, maybe with a standstill package or in a maverick build with Knight (who can further abuse the fetch hold priority WW interaction), I don't think that stoneblade is the right shell for WW+Utility lands. If we really really needed a way to hit more lands in the control, the answer is probably add in 2 more cantrips.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

After testing through it (and while it wasn't the most rigorous testing with the small sample size) while I think there may be a deck there, maybe with a standstill package or in a maverick build with Knight (who can further abuse the fetch hold priority WW interaction), I don't think that stoneblade is the right shell for WW+Utility lands. If we really really needed a way to hit more lands in the control, the answer is probably add in 2 more cantrips.
    Wow! I am shocked that a 1 mana 1/1 did absolutely nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Sep 2014
    Newport Beach, California

Lol, ded

Oct 2018
    New Jersey, USA

I mean, a 1 mana 1/1 that has the potential to draw a card every turn of a control game.

I mean, a 1 mana 1/1 that has the potential to draw a card every turn of a control game.
    Would it be better post-board for the control mirror?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Ww seems a little greedy. Like I imagined it would be a bolt the birds scenario. Much of the deck has flash and that's by design. If you ran toolbox lands like a UWg Mavericks style deck then maybe as knight 5. I don't think UW or UWX necessarily wants it. Sorry about the delays. Holidays are nuts.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

In other news I cut teferi for now. I still really like the him, but my meta has a painter player and a couple of decks with an pyres. Tap five, get blown out by a one drop feels awful, obviously. Lol. I'd still run it maybe sh in an open large meta tho. I love me the aks though, even still. Card is boss. I replaced teferi with a spell pierce for now. I'll post my current list when I have a fee more minutes. I have to resleeve anyway.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Joe could also just cut a couple of creatures and maybe one piece of permission for aks to draw cards. I tend to not have issues finding my utility lands with the cantrips and draw spells. That said, I would love a second venser, but 4 mana seems steep even for a blowout card like vender. I mean. I don't necessarily think I know more than losett, I just think about the most key issues in the deck differently.

Thread Information