Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Re: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    Joe could also just cut a couple of creatures and maybe one piece of permission for aks to draw cards. I tend to not have issues finding my utility lands with the cantrips and draw spells. That said, I would love a second venser, but 4 mana seems steep even for a blowout card like vender. I mean. I don't necessarily think I know more than losett, I just think about the most key issues in the deck differently.
    Would love to see your current list if you have time to post it up! Thanks

I'm new to the deck and have been trying out this list PVDDR played a while back:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1511818#paper

Apr 2017
    Rome

Hi Guys,
    last week end i've played in a Big Event here in Italy, 180 players, and i've ended 6-2 with the following list

3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Counterspell
    21 lands

Side

2 Kambal
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Disenchant
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Vendilion Clique

Played against this field
    r1 2-0 ANT
    r2 0-2 Miracles
    r3 2-0 Grixis Delver
    r4 2-1 Shadow
    r5 2-1 Slow Depths
    r6 0-2 ANT
    r7 2-0 Grixis Control
    r8 2-0 Grixis Delver

Deck felt great and i was just unlucky against ANT in r6 cause he just topdecked everything

Quote Originally Posted by Fgi_88 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    last week end i've played in a Big Event here in Italy, 180 players, and i've ended 6-2 with the following list

3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Baleful Strix
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Counterspell
    21 lands

Side

2 Kambal
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Disenchant
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Vendilion Clique

Played against this field
    r1 2-0 ANT
    r2 0-2 Miracles
    r3 2-0 Grixis Delver
    r4 2-1 Shadow
    r5 2-1 Slow Depths
    r6 0-2 ANT
    r7 2-0 Grixis Control
    r8 2-0 Grixis Delver

Deck felt great and i was just unlucky against ANT in r6 cause he just topdecked everything

What 21 Lands do you play?
    I'm considering this archetype and I want to take your list for first test games.

Apr 2017
    Rome

Quote Originally Posted by FlinkerMomonga View Post
    What 21 Lands do you play?
    I'm considering this archetype and I want to take your list for first test games.
    4 Polluted Delta, 4 Flooded Strand, 1 Marsh Flats, 1 Scalding Tarn, 2 Island, 1 Swamp, 1 Plains, 3 Underground Sea, 3 Tundra and 1 Scrubland

Re: [DTB] UWx Stoneblade

Question, how did you feel about the two kambals?

It’s a card I want to try, but I just can’t justify it. While it’s obviously good in the ANT matchup, I’m unsure of its applications outside of that.

Exactly what matchups did you play it in?

Thanks!

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Took this Japanese list that placed 3rd out of 109 players to my local weekly Legacy event.

1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    3 Wasteland

3 Pteramander
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    2 Predict
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Batterskull
    1 Dovin, Grand Arbiter
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Containment Priest
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Counterbalance
    1 Detention Sphere
    2 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Monastery Mentor
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction

Round 1 vs D&T:

Won a long game 1 trading TNN + Batterskull hits for Flickerwisp + Jitte + SoFaI hits. I finally draw into a StP and Snapcaster to clean up his board and ride TNN to victory. Game 2 I'm able gain tempo despite being on the draw by casting Council's Judgment on his Stoneforge before Batterskull comes in. I win off my own Stoneforge from there.

1-0, 2-0

Round 2 vs RUG Delver:

I win game 1 via True-Name. Game 2 he overwhelms me with Mongeese. Game 3 is grindy, but I eventually get there with TNN walling his large Goyf and Pteramander adapting into a 5/5.

2-0, 2-1

Round 3 vs Mirror:

My deck did its thing w/Stoneforge before my opponent. Game 2 was won via Monastery Mentor and Jace.

3-0, 2-0

Round 4 vs MUD:

Opponent didn't want to split, so we played it out and it wasn't pretty for me. Both games he had 3-4 Cloudposts, Trinisphere, Metalworker, etc. Too many high impact things to counter, and with me stumbling on lands under a Trinisphere, it was over quickly.

3-1, 0-2

Deck felt great all night except for the final match. Never cast the 1-of Dovin. The board seemed good, though given my meta I'll probably replace Flusterstorm as there really isn't any combo. The Spell Snares main were OK. I could see them becoming something else.

Has anyone else tried using the Grixis control mana base with Hymns and bring more 'proactive' with discard

Esper list, won a small event (Updated list)

1 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    2 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Plains
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Island
    4 Flooded Strand

1 Liliana, the Last hope

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize

1 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Baleful Strix

4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm

Sideboard
    2 Vindicate
    1 Zealous Persecution
    2 Disenchant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Niphil Spellbomb
    2 Fluster Storm
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Spell Pierce

Nov 2013
    Strasbourg / France

Hey Guys

I played this following list at a tournament this sunday. Splah red and Pyro MD because of the fiel (7 UW Miracle and Stoneblade for 26 decks).

4 Stoneforge
    3 Snapcaster
    1 Clique
    3 Nemesis
    4 STP
    4 BS
    2 Pierce
    2 Counterspell
    4 FOW
    1 Pyroblast
    4 Ponder
    1 Council's Judgement
    4 Ponder
    2 Back to Basic
    3 Jace TMS
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    2 Plain
    6 Island
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Misty
    4 Flooded
    1 Karakas
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra

SIdeboard
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Clique
    2 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Sugical Extraction
    1 REB
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Suprem Verdict
    1 EE

I won against UB Shadow and D&T but lost again Infect (2 times) and Dark Depth... I couldn't do anything. I was mostly dead on turn 3 or 4 against these decks.

Do you have some idea to improve de combo match up please ?

I didn't play at all against them except using pierce and Fow but dead anyway the following turn if it's not in the same :( :(

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by MinosSnt View Post
    Hey Guys

I played this following list at a tournament this sunday. Splah red and Pyro MD because of the fiel (7 UW Miracle and Stoneblade for 26 decks).

~Decklist~

I won against UB Shadow and D&T but lost again Infect (2 times) and Dark Depth... I couldn't do anything. I was mostly dead on turn 3 or 4 against these decks.

Do you have some idea to improve de combo match up please ?

I didn't play at all against them except using pierce and Fow but dead anyway the following turn if it's not in the same :( :(
    Can't speak for Depths, but you should be approaching your Infect matchup like its a Delver deck rather than a combo matchup. I'd look to play safely, fetching basics wherever you can and playing around Daze/soft permission to the best of your ability and within reason. The matchup revolves around Umezawa's Jitte so try to make plays and sequence cantrips in a way that maximize your chances of equipping a creature with Jitte and connecting with it.

Given your list, I'd sideboard something like this:
    -1 True-Name Nemesis Don't love this card, but we need something to carry Jitte
    -3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor Too slow, also doesn't bounce Inkmoth
    -1 Pyroblast Not versatile enough, only hits cantrips, FoW, and Blighted Agent

+2 Disenchant Good way to deal with Inkmoth and problematic permanents (Sylvan Library, Pithing Needle)
    +2 Flusterstorm Cheap interaction is your best friend in this matchup
    +1 Engineered Explosives Good catch all that's difficult for Infect to interact with
    You could feasibly board out a few more cards (FoW's, more TNN's) and bring in a few others (Clique, Supreme Verdict) but this -5, +5 should be what you're boarding out/in at a minimum.

Regarding play patterns, I'd avoid tapping out for high cmc threats if at all possible. My dislike of anything that costs more than 2 mana in this matchup is probably evident from my sideboarding preferences, but it should really be understood that the best thing you can do when you have a weak hand is pass turn and pretend you're holding a grip full of relevant cards. Don't deploy a TNN or a Jace on curve just because you feel like you're falling behind and want to be making plays. Often times investing a lot of mana into a slow sorcery speed threat that doesn't immediately impact the board is exactly the green light Infect needs to try and go for the kill.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by J_K_F View Post
    Would love to see your current list if you have time to post it up! Thanks

I'm new to the deck and have been trying out this list PVDDR played a while back:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1511818#paper
    I am unbelievably sorry. I only just realized I never answered this. I'll post my list either later tonight or tomorrow, although there may be some...significant changes incoming, lol.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Last update looked like this:

Deck: Legacy UW stoneblade 3-3-19.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:11
    1 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant

Artifacts:2
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Sorceries:6
    4 Ponder
    2 Council's Judgment

Instants:19
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Accumulated Knowledge
    4 Force of Will

Others:2

Lands:20
    1 Cavern of Souls
    4 Flooded Strand
    7 Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Plains
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra

Sideboard:15
    1 Containment Priest
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Path to Exile
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    2 Back to Basics

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

I have currently got zero teferis, but new cards being new thevlist will alter with war. Lavinia is likely a better sb than mb card and if I went to a larger event would swap her with the tnn in the board. I still like 5 mana teferi Walker, but I've been into pushing the pace a bit and refilling off the aks. Plans been good this far.

I’ve been changing up my stoneblade list a lot, and have finally landed on a list I like and probably won’t change for a while:

Lands-20
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland

Creatures-11
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Palace Jailer

Spells-25
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Spell Snare

Planeswalkers-2
    2 Jace the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts-3
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Sideboard:
    3 Containment Priest
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Dovin's Veto
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Disenchant
    1 Palace Jailer

Some thoughts:
    Palace jailer is very good. I wasn’t a believer before, but over 3 weeks of testing he’s been an invaluable tool. If you’re playing white you should probably be including some number of him in your 75.

Zealous Persecution is nuts. It can be game ending vs a lot of aggro decks. And as midrange continues to devolve into TNN wars this card’s value cannot be understated. It also useful as a combat trick or pushing the last unexpected 2-3 damage over the line. 4 is probably overkill, but I love the gotcha situations this card creates. I wouldn’t leave home without at least 3 copies though.

This week’s Matchups:

Pox(Featuring new ashiok)
    Game one he curves into LoTV and LtLH. However, I have enough basics to curve into and resolve a JTMS. JTMS brainstorms into TNN and protection. It’s enough to put the game away.

Game two he keeps a wasteland heavy hand but I have enough basics to see me through. Bitterblossom resolves to make his removal irrelevant. Jailer comes down to establish my draw engine. Game formally ends a few turns later.

Nic Fit(3x Academy Rector and 3x Arena Rector Split)
    Game one I manage to stop his living wish with a spell snare and follow up with SFM+batterskull. After that cantrips find me the countermagic I need and I kill him before he manages to go off.

Game two he gets stuck one or two lands for a few turns. I’m thinking I have this game wrapped up with SFM+skull applying pressure. And then the double thoughtseizes me taking two important pieces of countermagic and then resolves eureka the following turn. He dumps about 4 walkers on the board ending the game.

Game three goes grindy. I fend off his initial combo attempts and push us into the late game with SFM+Batterskull again applin pressure. On his second to last turn with 6 lands in play he thoughtseizes me with two cards in hand, land and FoW. He takes the force. On my turn I thankfully top deck another FoW. Batterskull+SFM swing in and put him to 5. On his turn he makes his land drop and hard casts cruel reality which I FoW. Game ends in my favor thanks to a very fortunate top deck.

Eldrazi
    Game 1 he does eldrazi things and I just get flattened. I don’t feel that I could have done anything differently.

Game 2 was a non game unfortunately. He kept a greedy 7 and got stuck on one land.

Game 3 was interesting. I keep a bitterblossom/TNN hand and basically hope to stall him for a while. His leadoff blast zone complicated that plan however. I still resolved bitterblossom though, I figured that ticking up and detonating blast zone to deal with blossom would tie him up for two full turns. In the meantime I would resolve TNN and jailer. He ultimately opted to not tick up his blast zone, I suppose he came to the conclusion he wasn’t willing to take two turns off to kill a bitterblossom. He instead tries to resolve a Chalice on 1 and a Chalice on 2. I decide to let the chalice on 1 slide, my hand had mostly 2+ CMC spells anyway. I do counter his follow up chalice on 2 which would have really ruined me. On my turn jailer comes down to lock up an oblivion sower allowing my TNN and faeries to attack. He top decks a reality smasher to trample over my blockers and takes back the monarchy and his previously detained sower. It’s too late though. My next turn TNN+3 Faeries swing in for 10 with the help of a zealous persecution, putting him to 1. I leave back chump blockers and have a pretty secure 14 life, I’m almost certain his only out an all is dust. He doesn’t have it.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

How'd you like the mb palace jailor?

Has everyone been experimenting with a narset or teferi? I've currently got a 1x1 split mb, and they've been generally pretty good. I don't know that I like them and 2 pieces of permission more than aks. Also, has anyone tried sb reb and pyros off a volc? How have you liked that?

Love Narset, she is great. I don't know about lil teferi, it seems to me to be not enough powerful to make the cut. I would probably play 2 narsets over the split 1/1. Narset is so good at doing that lovely chains/leovold thing

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    How'd you like the mb palace jailor?

Loved it, IMO it should probably just be in every blade deck going forward.

In a vacuum if you just compared jace to jailer, jace is better.

Jace however has a lot of liabilities that jailer doesn’t. Pyroblast is a huge problem. Getting a jace pyroblasted is among the most miserable experiences I’ve had as a blade pilot. Whenever I get paired against a red deck my jaces just never feel safe. The addition of cards like assassin’s trophy also haven’t helped.

Jailer really rewards you for controlling the board. Stoneblade in general is really good at doing this. Between batterskull/TNN/STP you can make a profitable attack basically impossible for your opponent. Not to mention jailer comes down and takes a creature from them. Typically two or three turns with the monarchy is enough to put a game away.
    Jailer is also surprisingly really hard to counter because it’s a creature. Daze is one way, but you’ll have plenty of heads up and its easy to play around. Counterspell is perhaps the cleanest answer, but it’s just not played that frequently. Force of will is the other answer, but you still get to 2-1 the opponent.

My build does build around jailer quite a bit, the most noticeable example being 4 zealous persecution across the 75. It’s a fantastic board control spell and does a great job keeping the monarchy safe.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Awesome arguement. I recently cut mini teferi for a jailor, and it's a 1x1 split, mb sb. Card is definite gas. Couldnt agree more.

This seems pretty decent with TNN and Jitte.

Edit: and Jace and Elspeth and tons of other possibilities to boot.

Looks like its happening now...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Looks like...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes. Yes it is.