Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 173

Thread: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

  1. #61

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    I won the MTGO challenge this past weekend with UWr Stoneblade, 5-1 in swiss. Red still feels like the right choice to me, I believe it has better game vs Delver with its slightly stronger mana base, and while Lightning Bolt can be replaced by Fatal Push for the most part, the sideboard Pyroblasts and Blood Moons give it significant game against some of the tougher matchups in Czech, Miracles, Aggro Loam and other grindy midrange decks. I've always been a big proponent of Pyroblast vs Discard, and while it makes the combo matchup weaker without proactive t1 disruption in Thoughtseize, I have not found myself wanting for more conventional disruption, with 2 Flusterstorm, 3 Hatebears, and the possible 2 RIP and 3 Blast, depending on the type of combo deck, postboard.

    I also think that UWr, despite having a 3rd color, is better positioned against Delver than UW, with the additional 1 CMC removal making it easier to keep pace with delver and resolve your bombs without being too far behind on board. the 8 basics were a nod to Delvers primary method of beating us, mana denial; I wanted to be have more chance of simply topdecking basic lands. I almost went with 4 Island 3 plains over the 5 Islands 2 plains, but generally if I can get the basic Island out I can have countermagic to protect from stifle, as well as the obvious cantrips, to protect myself.

    List is:

    MB
    3 Snapcaster
    4 Stoneforge Mystice
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique

    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives

    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Ponder
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Supreme Verdict

    5 Islands
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Arid Mesa

    SB

    1 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Swords of Fire and Ice
    1 Engineered Explosives

    My actual matches were

    WIN vs DNT
    LOSS vs Czech
    WIN vs Turbo Depths
    WIN vs Maverick
    WIN vs BR Reanimator
    WIN vs Lands

    Top 8

    WIN VS DNT
    WIN vs 4c Loamd
    Win vs Czech

    Changes I might make

    While I always find myself wanting more cards for whatever matchup I recently played against, you can't have everything, and I try not to get greedy. Having said that, Both my DNT matchups were faily close, and I've had trouble with it in the past. I only have Disenchant and Engineered Explosives to bring in against them, along with Containment Priest as a sort of "why not". 2.5 cards doesn't feel like enough, especially when there were more cards I was willing to side out. I had been thinking about Izzet Staticaster for a long time, as Elves is also a difficult matchup. I also would like to get Council's Judgment back in the 75 somewhere. I was running it, but cut it and the 4th Ponder to make room for the Supreme Verdict and Vendilion Clique. While I do think I want both those cards, I would like the 4th "anti-permenant" card back in the 75, for matchups like DNT but also 4c Loam and other random jank that might just get you with their nonsense. Also a fast LOTV is difficult for this deck.

  2. #62

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mzfroste View Post
    I won the MTGO challenge this past weekend with UWr Stoneblade, 5-1 in swiss. Red still feels like the right choice to me, I believe it has better game vs Delver with its slightly stronger mana base, and while Lightning Bolt can be replaced by Fatal Push for the most part, the sideboard Pyroblasts and Blood Moons give it significant game against some of the tougher matchups in Czech, Miracles, Aggro Loam and other grindy midrange decks. I've always been a big proponent of Pyroblast vs Discard, and while it makes the combo matchup weaker without proactive t1 disruption in Thoughtseize, I have not found myself wanting for more conventional disruption, with 2 Flusterstorm, 3 Hatebears, and the possible 2 RIP and 3 Blast, depending on the type of combo deck, postboard.

    I also think that UWr, despite having a 3rd color, is better positioned against Delver than UW, with the additional 1 CMC removal making it easier to keep pace with delver and resolve your bombs without being too far behind on board. the 8 basics were a nod to Delvers primary method of beating us, mana denial; I wanted to be have more chance of simply topdecking basic lands. I almost went with 4 Island 3 plains over the 5 Islands 2 plains, but generally if I can get the basic Island out I can have countermagic to protect from stifle, as well as the obvious cantrips, to protect myself.

    List is:

    MB
    3 Snapcaster
    4 Stoneforge Mystice
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique

    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives

    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Ponder
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Supreme Verdict

    5 Islands
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Arid Mesa

    SB

    1 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Swords of Fire and Ice
    1 Engineered Explosives

    My actual matches were

    WIN vs DNT
    LOSS vs Czech
    WIN vs Turbo Depths
    WIN vs Maverick
    WIN vs BR Reanimator
    WIN vs Lands

    Top 8

    WIN VS DNT
    WIN vs 4c Loamd
    Win vs Czech

    Changes I might make

    While I always find myself wanting more cards for whatever matchup I recently played against, you can't have everything, and I try not to get greedy. Having said that, Both my DNT matchups were faily close, and I've had trouble with it in the past. I only have Disenchant and Engineered Explosives to bring in against them, along with Containment Priest as a sort of "why not". 2.5 cards doesn't feel like enough, especially when there were more cards I was willing to side out. I had been thinking about Izzet Staticaster for a long time, as Elves is also a difficult matchup. I also would like to get Council's Judgment back in the 75 somewhere. I was running it, but cut it and the 4th Ponder to make room for the Supreme Verdict and Vendilion Clique. While I do think I want both those cards, I would like the 4th "anti-permenant" card back in the 75, for matchups like DNT but also 4c Loam and other random jank that might just get you with their nonsense. Also a fast LOTV is difficult for this deck.
    Great job! Love the list!
    Just spit balling on random cards that could be useful versus elves and dnt:
    - Abrade? Multipurpose tool..
    - Blessed Alliance. Probably too cute, but definitely can put some interesting combat tricks and maybe untap your Jitte equipped tapped creature for the surprise block.
    - Pyroclasm?


    As an aside, I know disenchant is much better for mana stability, which is a focus of yours, but I'm always very tempted to run wear//tear as someone who has been blown out by miracles folk in the past.

  3. #63

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Good work!

    How did you find it without the wastelands? I thought they were invaluable recently against a U/W Miracles list i played. They got search for Azcanta online early both games but i was able to take them off it and give myself an opening. Still only managed a draw though but, probably saved me from being drowned in card advantage.

    I'd agree on the Abrade point listed above, too :) Sudden demise might be a good one for Elves?

  4. #64
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2014
    Location

    Newport Beach, California
    Posts

    17

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Hi Mzfroste, congrats on your finish. I noticed you returned to a derivative list to the one I piloted at GP Vegas. I haven't been playing as much since then, but I've been tampering with my sideboard. I really want to add 2 bloodmoon and a teferi's response but the sideboard is so stacked and full already. You're going to laugh at teferi's but it is actually really useful against lands & DNT as this is where counter magic is generally not so great. It lets you keep really loose hands like basic/fetch+1 nonbasic opening 7 card hands. If it resolves just once, you probably win. Still messing around with it but I definitely think I want to add a bloodmoon or two. How's Gideon working out? I've been a staunch supporter of Jace, but open to hearing out what's going on with gideon

  5. #65

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mzfroste View Post
    I won the MTGO challenge this past weekend with UWr Stoneblade, 5-1 in swiss. Red still feels like the right choice to me, I believe it has better game vs Delver with its slightly stronger mana base, and while Lightning Bolt can be replaced by Fatal Push for the most part, the sideboard Pyroblasts and Blood Moons give it significant game against some of the tougher matchups in Czech, Miracles, Aggro Loam and other grindy midrange decks. I've always been a big proponent of Pyroblast vs Discard, and while it makes the combo matchup weaker without proactive t1 disruption in Thoughtseize, I have not found myself wanting for more conventional disruption, with 2 Flusterstorm, 3 Hatebears, and the possible 2 RIP and 3 Blast, depending on the type of combo deck, postboard.

    I also think that UWr, despite having a 3rd color, is better positioned against Delver than UW, with the additional 1 CMC removal making it easier to keep pace with delver and resolve your bombs without being too far behind on board. the 8 basics were a nod to Delvers primary method of beating us, mana denial; I wanted to be have more chance of simply topdecking basic lands. I almost went with 4 Island 3 plains over the 5 Islands 2 plains, but generally if I can get the basic Island out I can have countermagic to protect from stifle, as well as the obvious cantrips, to protect myself.

    List is:

    MB
    3 Snapcaster
    4 Stoneforge Mystice
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique

    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives

    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    3 Ponder
    2 Counterspell
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Supreme Verdict

    5 Islands
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Arid Mesa

    SB

    1 Containment Priest
    1 Disenchant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Swords of Fire and Ice
    1 Engineered Explosives

    My actual matches were

    WIN vs DNT
    LOSS vs Czech
    WIN vs Turbo Depths
    WIN vs Maverick
    WIN vs BR Reanimator
    WIN vs Lands

    Top 8

    WIN VS DNT
    WIN vs 4c Loamd
    Win vs Czech

    Changes I might make

    While I always find myself wanting more cards for whatever matchup I recently played against, you can't have everything, and I try not to get greedy. Having said that, Both my DNT matchups were faily close, and I've had trouble with it in the past. I only have Disenchant and Engineered Explosives to bring in against them, along with Containment Priest as a sort of "why not". 2.5 cards doesn't feel like enough, especially when there were more cards I was willing to side out. I had been thinking about Izzet Staticaster for a long time, as Elves is also a difficult matchup. I also would like to get Council's Judgment back in the 75 somewhere. I was running it, but cut it and the 4th Ponder to make room for the Supreme Verdict and Vendilion Clique. While I do think I want both those cards, I would like the 4th "anti-permenant" card back in the 75, for matchups like DNT but also 4c Loam and other random jank that might just get you with their nonsense. Also a fast LOTV is difficult for this deck.

    nice list! i will test in the next tournament :)
    what about ruination instead blood moon?
    add karakas maindeck? (good with vendilion, really good vs reanimator and its ok vs leovold)
    why 2 jace-1gideon instead 3 jace?

  6. #66

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    Great job! Love the list!
    Just spit balling on random cards that could be useful versus elves and dnt:
    - Abrade? Multipurpose tool..
    - Blessed Alliance. Probably too cute, but definitely can put some interesting combat tricks and maybe untap your Jitte equipped tapped creature for the surprise block.
    - Pyroclasm?


    As an aside, I know disenchant is much better for mana stability, which is a focus of yours, but I'm always very tempted to run wear//tear as someone who has been blown out by miracles folk in the past.
    Abrade is an interesting choice. But I don't lack for spot removal to the point I'd value a 2 mana conditional one enough because it can also shatter. Maybe if it could disenchant.

    The only creature I would want a conditional edict for would be TNN, but I've got 3 Blasts, Verdict, 2 EE and the ability to make my own TNN better.

    I like Pyroclasm, especially since it is good vs Delver unlike Staticaster. Killing our own TNN is a non-bo, but Verdict does already do that. My big thing against it is the opportunity cost of playing it over something like Staticaster, as our need for a sweeper against Delver is less than a deck like Miracles, given out additional 1 mana removal and SFM package. Decks that do better against those like Elves, and DNT to a lesser extent, fold much harder to Staticaster than a 1 time Pyroclasm. Still it's something I'll keep in mind.

    The strength of Disenchant is just the mana, though that only really comes up vs DNT. Also if Miracles does end up making a comeback with Counterbalance, having the destroy target counterbalance cost 2 opposed to 1 will be nice. Having said that I could definitely see the meta going in a direction where there would be enough decks running both Enchantments and Artifacts that the 2 for 1 would be more realistic and force me to make the swap.

    Quote Originally Posted by NedB37 View Post
    Good work!

    How did you find it without the wastelands? I thought they were invaluable recently against a U/W Miracles list i played. They got search for Azcanta online early both games but i was able to take them off it and give myself an opening. Still only managed a draw though but, probably saved me from being drowned in card advantage.

    I'd agree on the Abrade point listed above, too :) Sudden demise might be a good one for Elves?
    I've never played with Wastelands in a Stoneblade list. I've always felt we were the more mana hungry deck in the majority of matchups. I can see it as land hate more than mana denial for decks like Post, Lands, or even Czeck. But since UWR has access to Blood Moon, I prefer to go with that in most cases. Search is very good with Miracles, I've been loving it in my builds. Pre-board we're going to have to hope to counter it or push a fast win, which can be difficult against Miracles. Postboard with 3 Blasts I'm much less worried.

    Sudden Demise is an interesting choice, since it could be the Pyroclasm that doesn't kill TNN. But being a card I can't see myself bringing in for anything but Elves and DNT, I'd rather go with Staticaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by QKisMyName View Post
    Hi Mzfroste, congrats on your finish. I noticed you returned to a derivative list to the one I piloted at GP Vegas. I haven't been playing as much since then, but I've been tampering with my sideboard. I really want to add 2 bloodmoon and a teferi's response but the sideboard is so stacked and full already. You're going to laugh at teferi's but it is actually really useful against lands & DNT as this is where counter magic is generally not so great. It lets you keep really loose hands like basic/fetch+1 nonbasic opening 7 card hands. If it resolves just once, you probably win. Still messing around with it but I definitely think I want to add a bloodmoon or two. How's Gideon working out? I've been a staunch supporter of Jace, but open to hearing out what's going on with gideon
    Yeah if I remember correctly I cut a Staticaster and a Containment Priest for those 2 Moons. And I have missed them a bit, Elves has gotten more difficult and 3 pieces of GY hate may not be enough for a deck without DRS. But I did feel like I wanted a bit more for Czech and Delver, and it's always a good card from the board just for those random gotchas against any random deck you may see, I was willing to make the cuts. It has given me tons more play against Czech, not as much against Delver, since the matchup tends to be less about resolving enough bombs to kill them and more just making sure we can do a normal gameplan against them, untapping with SFM often being enough.

    Gideon has been great. It's another card to get an edge against Czech, but also all other Blue midrange/control decks, and many non-blue as well. There are so many situations where it singlehandedly takes over the game. Specifically this past league, it won me 2 games practically by itself, the first against Maverick with Choke on board, the second in the semi-finals against 4c Loam with an active LOTV and no cards in hand. Jace is better, thus why I still run a 2-1 split and not a 1-2, but there are enough times where Jace doesn't do enough, either not effecting the board powerfully or quickly enough, but also where the 4 mana walker can really be anything and it'll win the game, so the difference doesn't matter. But that it can kill other walkers, that it can't be blasted, that it can more profitably protect itself, gives it enough upsides over Jace I do think it is worth running 1 copy. I experiemented with a second copy in the board for those grindy/control matchups, but between TNN and blasts and the generic gameplan, I didn't find myself needing it that much and cut it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
    nice list! i will test in the next tournament :)
    what about ruination instead blood moon?
    add karakas maindeck? (good with vendilion, really good vs reanimator and its ok vs leovold)
    why 2 jace-1gideon instead 3 jace?
    I can still use my Mountains for mana, we have enough colorless requirements in our Walkers and equipment, not to mention our actual red spells, so I don't want to destroy them. While there is the downside to Blood Mooning yourself out of the game, you can do the same with Ruination, but it costs 1 more mana, and it's easier for your opponent to come back from. From the Ashes would be a better choice, but unlike Miracles, we can effect the board earlier and are less likely to Moon ourselves out of the game because of that. Miracles wanted to keep its fetch lands active, which was the main reason they made the switch from Moon. I don't think the same incentive is there for us, if you want to run a ridiculously powerful hate card, run the cheapest version

    Karakas was cut to make room for more basics. I feel I've lost more games due to land issues from Wasteland or not enough Blue than I've won due to Karakas bouncing shit.

  7. #67
    Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Hrothgar's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2014
    Posts

    235

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mzfroste, very interesting point of view.
    I run very close to your list for now, with very good results.
    I love run 1 Disenchant and 1 Wear Tear because i don't play Academy with moon, and I want the flashback options with Snap in matchup where I want wear.
    Have you try 1 Council in main?

  8. #68

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    I was running it, I cut it to make room for the Supreme Verdict. Other options were to cut EE, one of the 3 Walkers, or a Counterspell, but I went with CJ. I don't nessecarily regret that change, its worked out for me, Verdict has been great, but I do wish I could get it back in.

  9. #69

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Out of curiosity Mzfroste, did you record your matches in the challenge? I recently picked up the deck as an alternative to what I normally play and have been looking for commented play videos.

  10. #70

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Hey guys, Iíve recently been having a bad run with esper deathblade so Iím looking to make a change. My meta is extremely fair, I think over 3 weeks and 12 rounds Iíve played against one combo deck, sneak and show. Essentially Iím looking to cut the DRS out of my deck, the short version being that I donít think stoneblade leverages DRS to its full potential and that Iíd be better off with a longer range stoneblade deck like esper. Wasteland also gets cut from my list, Iíve found 2 wastelands to be pretty anemic. They arenít enough to choke out someoneís mana, and more often than not they end up screwing my color intensive deck. IMO wasteland probably belongs in delver style decks as a 4 of.

    Iíve brewed up the following list. The biggest gamble in the deck is probably exhume. I have no idea how good it is yet, but I think it allows me to commit things like TNN to the board as bait before nuking it with verdict. Iím also less hesitant to run TNNs into countermagic. And if itís a dead card, at worst it cycles. In some cases it also allows me to shortcut the cost on TNN if I can pitch it to collective brutality.

    I also like the academy ruins buying back jitte/strix, but it may be too cute, in the future this may or may not end up becoming another dual or basic.

    Do let me know what you think! Thank you!

    Lands-21
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Tundra
    1 Academy Ruins

    Creatures-9
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 TNN
    2 Baleful Strix
    1 Snapcaster Mage

    Artifacts-2
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull


    Spells-27
    3 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Lingering Souls
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Unearth



    Planeswalkers-2
    2 Jace


    Sideboard-15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Force of Will
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Supreme Verdict
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Invasive Surgery

  11. #71

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    I noticed a lack of Karakas in peoples lists. Any reasoning for this? Also what are peopleís thoughts in Academy ruins? Seems to play well with EE.

  12. #72
    Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Hrothgar's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2014
    Posts

    235

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Karakas imho is a meta choice for now.
    In grind matchup (4c) Karakas have no use, Academy Ruin can win the game. in my experience.
    Vs Delver maybe is not so good, but better than Karakas for sure.

    Vs Lands Karakas can save us bouncing Marit, ok, but just one time.
    Karakas is good vs Show, if your meta have many Show decks is a good choice.

  13. #73

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by NimbleJosh View Post
    I noticed a lack of Karakas in peoples lists. Any reasoning for this? Also what are peopleís thoughts in Academy ruins? Seems to play well with EE.
    I'm running it but, i also run Clique and have (breifly) considered Venser as well. It comes in handy against Leo at the moment, who in my Meta is usually around in some sort of 4c/BUG deck fairly frequently. Although they draw from it, you buy time and the chance to brainstorm.

    I've not tried Ruins but, definitely one to consider. I'm not sure i'd have room for Karakas and Ruins but open to trying anything new :) Karakas at the moment feels more of a tempo play to me whereas the Ruins would be grindy value (?).

  14. #74

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Hi all,

    I am looking for some feedbacks on specific cards for a UWr list. I saw more control lists of UWr (without SFM) performing well with 2 copies of Search for Azcanta and From the Ashes on the sideboard instead of Blood Moon.

    Anyone has ever tried Search for Azcanta in a UWr Stoneblade deck ?

    Thanks

  15. #75
    Member
    FGCmtg's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    London
    Posts

    38

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by sagagx View Post
    Hi all,

    I am looking for some feedbacks on specific cards for a UWr list. I saw more control lists of UWr (without SFM) performing well with 2 copies of Search for Azcanta and From the Ashes on the sideboard instead of Blood Moon.

    Anyone has ever tried Search for Azcanta in a UWr Stoneblade deck ?

    Thanks
    This was recently discussed on Reddit, so I'm lifting some of the points discussed from that thread as I thought they were good.

    Essentially, Search requires quite a specific game-plan to be maximised. You need to really want to sit back and not use your mana if possible.

    Traditional blade decks have been a lot more threat oriented than things like Miracles (the current most popular Legacy shell for Search). You care more about tapping out for things like True-Name/Gideon/Jace/Batterskull in the late game, not just sitting back and doing nothing, casting Predicts to get further ahead or Terminus to clean up for 1 mana and activating Search in the same turn.

    It may well be powerful and a useful card in the deck in some cases, but I doubt it's the best place to put the card. That said, I haven't tested it, so I may be completely off here.

  16. #76

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by FGCmtg View Post
    This was recently discussed on Reddit, so I'm lifting some of the points discussed from that thread as I thought they were good.

    Essentially, Search requires quite a specific game-plan to be maximised. You need to really want to sit back and not use your mana if possible.

    Traditional blade decks have been a lot more threat oriented than things like Miracles (the current most popular Legacy shell for Search). You care more about tapping out for things like True-Name/Gideon/Jace/Batterskull in the late game, not just sitting back and doing nothing, casting Predicts to get further ahead or Terminus to clean up for 1 mana and activating Search in the same turn.

    It may well be powerful and a useful card in the deck in some cases, but I doubt it's the best place to put the card. That said, I haven't tested it, so I may be completely off here.
    Thanks for your input. I understand the card being good in Miracles, I am more curious about the UWx control list not playing SFM and not playing Miracles recently. You are right, blade decks requires to tap out for TNN and Jace. We may see Search like Jace in the game plan, granting card advantage and quality but loosing the more control side of Jace with fateseal and bounce. Nevertheless, the card hit the board much sooner.

    I will give a try taking one slot from Jace (going down to 2 in my list).

  17. #77
    Member
    FGCmtg's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    London
    Posts

    38

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by sagagx View Post
    Thanks for your input. I understand the card being good in Miracles, I am more curious about the UWx control list not playing SFM and not playing Miracles recently. You are right, blade decks requires to tap out for TNN and Jace. We may see Search like Jace in the game plan, granting card advantage and quality but loosing the more control side of Jace with fateseal and bounce. Nevertheless, the card hit the board much sooner.

    I will give a try taking one slot from Jace (going down to 2 in my list).
    Seems reasonable! I'm interested in seeing how this works. It's probably pretty good in mirror type situations and is cheap to cast. It's also surprisingly good vs storm if you get to flip it, and it's so cheap that you can cast it with countermagic available (unlike JTMS most of the time).

  18. #78

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by FGCmtg View Post
    Seems reasonable! I'm interested in seeing how this works. It's probably pretty good in mirror type situations and is cheap to cast. It's also surprisingly good vs storm if you get to flip it, and it's so cheap that you can cast it with countermagic available (unlike JTMS most of the time).
    Yes, you are highlighting an important benefit of Search over Jace, keeping mana up for countermagic and instant speed card drawing engine instead of being full tap for brainstorming with Jace the 1st turn it hit the board. No mistake, Jace is so important to the deck.

    One of my previous opponents told me an interesting comment on UWx blade decks. You sometimes hold all the creature removal cards on your hand facing Storm and sometimes you have all your countermagic for aggro decks, despite Ponder/BS. You cannot do much on your side to avoid this. Maybe Search can effectively help you, on the early turns of the game, building a better hand according to your opponent. I am sorry if I say something obvious here, but I do not have so many feedbacks on Search, especially on non-miracles lists.

  19. #79
    Member
    FGCmtg's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    London
    Posts

    38

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Quote Originally Posted by sagagx View Post
    Yes, you are highlighting an important benefit of Search over Jace, keeping mana up for countermagic and instant speed card drawing engine instead of being full tap for brainstorming with Jace the 1st turn it hit the board. No mistake, Jace is so important to the deck.

    One of my previous opponents told me an interesting comment on UWx blade decks. You sometimes hold all the creature removal cards on your hand facing Storm and sometimes you have all your countermagic for aggro decks, despite Ponder/BS. You cannot do much on your side to avoid this. Maybe Search can effectively help you, on the early turns of the game, building a better hand according to your opponent. I am sorry if I say something obvious here, but I do not have so many feedbacks on Search, especially on non-miracles lists.
    Yup, you're right, so you can start to filter your draws early in a matchup if you have the opportunity to resolve Search. So I would guess that the card is strong in most midrange/control matchups and against storm if they have a slower draw - but you don't abuse the effect as well as you could in a Miracle deck.

  20. #80

    Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

    Hi all,

    I am picking up the final peaces for Stoneblade/Deathblade.. I am not sure what the strongest deck is.. I am between Esper Stoneblade with 2 Jace 2 TNN and SFM package or Mentor/Probe/Cabal Therapy package..

    I don't know if Deathblade (TNN or Mentor package) would be better though.. also I don't have the Tropical Island. So, is the Shaman worth it?

    So can you help me, what's the best Version?

    Thank you!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)