Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

Re: [Primer] UWx Stoneblade

1. Two volcanics is more than enough to cast, but not sustain. Gets destroyed via wasteland. Your mentioning of hypergeometric distribution really doesn't mean anything tbh. You didn't describe K, unless you mean for us to assume that K is drawing the 4th ponder or 20th land is to be included in which case drawing the mountain is still not bad generally. For example, in a 5 card hand + mountain + flooded strand, you play the mountain on turn 2 instead of being forced to ponder if an additional land is not drawn. SB is in fact more important than MB. Half of a stoneblade deck is useless in any given match up. For example, TNN is useless against combo & spell pierce has minimal value against DnT in the first game. Thus, the SB is necessary to bring in a lot of tailored cards post board & removing the less than useful cards. In fact, every match will have the same or more post board games.

2. Ponder costs mana, even at 1. Drawing the 4th ponder vs drawing a card that does something. Adding ponder reduces the number of cards that do something in the deck. There is an argument for simply playing more cards that do things, like additional catch-alls, threats, etc. More cantrips increases looks but decreases the number of "do something" cards. It is possible to lose can-tripping into more while being pressured. 7 is just as a reasonable of a balance as 8.

3. Clique is good against control of all types, and in a lot of instances better/more flexible than TNN. Flash is significant as is being able to play a threat on the opponent's turn. Getting a sorcery speed TNN countered is typically game losing because the opponent can simply play their own threat of do whatever they want on their proceeding turn.

4. EE requires opposing CC's to align. Also loses out to revoker and flickerwisp. Verdict does not care. UW and UWr decks have a lot of basics so getting to 4 mana is usually not an issue. It wins when no other card can. It gives you a card to use can trips for in bad spots.

5. All the cards I named may be play in a limited number of decks, but in the aggregate comprise of a significant number in a large tournament. Priests can be split, one on field and one in hand thus avoiding the possibility of removal. The flash aspect is hugely significant. Lastly, the idea is to wait for flickerwisp to target their own creature, not to simply run it out against vial.

Same list, pretty meh night. Ended up not making any changes, the list feels really tuned. I do still want to add stuff, but Iím just not sure where. I thought I could cut disenchant for something else in the board, but week after week it pulls it weight and then some. It says for now.

Match 1: Maverick(1-2 Loss)
    Game 1:
    His first land drop, windswept heath, gives him away. I was actually looking forward to this matchup as maverick is a deck Iím building towards. I manage to keep him under control for a bit with TNNs, but eventually he finds the SoFI in his deck and his KoTR start walking past my TNNs. I donít have an answer and I die.

Game 2: Iíve never played this deck before, so first time sideboards are always interesting
    -3 Force of Will
    -1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar(Just doesnít seem to do that much...)
    -1 Liliana, the Last Hope(his key threats are huge, he does have some X/1s though so potential mistake)
    -2 Collective Brutality(Not sure if correct, again his key threats are huge)
    -2 Thoughtseize
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Engineered Explosives
    +2 Zealous Persecution
    +2 Back to Basics(I see a ton of non-basics)
    +2 Disenchant
    My deck works as advertised against wasteland heavy builds. Tons of basics, some STP, and eventually I wipe the board with verdict. Jace gets resolved and takes me to the promise land. I think at one point Iím just snapping back verdicts which feels great. He sees the writing on the wall and concedes.

Game 3:
    My deck doesnít work as advertised. I see nothing but duals, and my cantrips fail to find a STP or fetchlands. He catches on pretty quickly, lands a KoTR, and immediately wastelands me out of the game. I never recover. Itís pretty frustrating to lose games like this, especially when I design my manabase to not put me in this position, but it happens.

Match 2: BYE

Match 3: R/W Painter(1-2 Loss, 2-1 Win(Technically))
    A brief summary, for those who are newer, this already fringe deck more or less died out a year ago when top got banned. When people talk about the collateral damage of the top ban, this deck is part of it, without the consistency of top it has really struggled. This deck is a combo deck that uses painterís servant and grindstone to mill you out in one go. Typically they name blue with painterís servant, so when grindstone gets activated, all your cards are blue thanks to servant. Hence they mill you out in one go. Imperial recruiters help find the servants. Pyroblast is nuts with servant as yes, ALL of your spells are blue. Goblin welder helps them get combo pieces out of the yard. They also run sol lands for a fast blood moon.
    Game 1:
    Opponent mulligans to 4 so I know out the gate things are very much in my favor. I find out that this build of painter is runs smugglers copter which tries to imitate the effect that top had. I didnít seem that successful though, but my judgment probably isnít worth much. The mull to 4 does him in, I strip his hand apart and start clocking him with SFM+Jitte. I almost end up losing this one, he gets both painterís servant and grindstone out, but doesnít have the 3 mana to active grindstone, giving me a 1 turn window. I think on his endstep I blink in a snapcaster for more damage and punch in for lethal that way.

Game 2: Another one of those first time sideboards.
    -3 Collective Brutality(1/3 servant makes this awkward, and their combo pieces are artifacts)
    -1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    -1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor(Not so great against a pile of pyroblasts)
    -1 Liliana, the Last Hope(Fetching BB against fast blood moon deck seems bad)
    -2 Supreme Verdict
    -1 True Name Nemesis(Tapping out against combo is dangerous and they have a ton of pyroblasts)
    -1 Batterskull
    +3 Surgical Extraction
    +1 Engineered Explosives
    +2 Zealous Persecution(Goblin welder is busted, also other small X/1s that could be a problem)
    +2 Disenchant
    +1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    +1 Force of Will
    I throw everything and the kitchen sink at him, but itís not enough. I think thereís 2 grindstones and 2 painterís servant in his yard when he sticks a goblin welder on about T4 I just canít deal with. He buys both his combo pieces back and I get milled out. I really needed surgical extraction to show up here, but it doesnít.

Game 3:
    Before Game 3 starts we both agree to split the prize, which is essentially just our admission fee. And we play Game 3 out for fun. Opening hand is cantrips, counter spells, and a scrubland.... Scrubland is either the best land in my deck or itís just the absolute worst. My mulligan to 6 is a no lander, as is my mulligan to 5. I pretty much concede deciding that going to sleep early is likely preferable to starting the game on 4 cards. Since we are playing for fun though, opponent just lets me draw 7.
    This time itís much better, I manage to find both thoughtseize and surgical extraction and I rip away half of the combo. Now that heís forced to play fair his deck just doesnít stand a chance against stoneblade. I have the inevitability and eventually just kill him.

Side Note: Since we ended early that night I decided to stick around and play with an aluren player who wanted practice. Game 1 ended up taking an hour, probably the most interactive/interesting game of magic Iíve played in a long time.

Are we doing it wrong?

Can you take Esper through 15 rounds without getting wasted/stifled out?

Can you take UWR through 15 rounds without getting crushed by combo on the way or outvalued by Kolaghan?

We are doing something wrong and need to adapt to the current meta..

We have in TNN the best creature in fair matchups.

We have Back 2 Basics!

We have the best manabase with Wastelands IF we go 2 colours!

We have Flusterstorm main! All we want to do is resolve TNN while not die to Hymn or combo in the proces!

#Stopmakingthesamethingwrong

All of this is of course bullshit If Miracles come back.. Then we are doomed😊

Quote Originally Posted by lasseu View Post
    Are we doing it wrong?

Can you take Esper through 15 rounds without getting wasted/stifled out?

Can you take UWR through 15 rounds without getting crushed by combo on the way or outvalued by Kolaghan?

We are doing something wrong and need to adapt to the current meta..

We have in TNN the best creature in fair matchups.

We have Back 2 Basics!

We have the best manabase with Wastelands IF we go 2 colours!

We have Flusterstorm main! All we want to do is resolve TNN while not die to Hymn or combo in the proces!

#Stopmakingthesamethingwrong

All of this is of course bullshit If Miracles come back.. Then we are doomed😊
    I don't understand what you are trying to say. Could you rephrase it?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Been playing a straight up UW list with some local success. A couple Mishras Factory have been nice (helped me beat humility + night of souls betrayal + needle naming Jace last night). Ojutai singleton has also been a great closer. Honestly Stoneforge has felt pretty mediocre overall. Crazy how this card used to be stupid powerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Dec 2014
    Oulu, Finland

Played UW Stoneblade last week, with 3-1 result.

List:
    Lands-23
    5 Island
    3 Plains
    2 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland

Creatures-11
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells-20
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Councilís Judgement
    2 Counterspell

Artifacts-2
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawaís Jitte

Planeswalkers-2
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Enchantments-2
    2 Back to Basics

Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Karakas
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Pithing Needle

R1 - 2-0 vs Deathblade
    G1: hose him with Back to Basics
    G2: he counters my B2B, discards all my equipments, but eventually 2 TNN is too much for him to handle.

R2 - 2-1 vs Elves
    G1: he rolls me over
    G2: Jitte takes over the game
    G3: 2 Engineered Explosives and TNN handles it

R3 - 0-2 vs Sneak and Show
    G1: he has T2 Sneak Attack with activation mana and FoW backup on the play. My single FoW is not enough
    G2: variance gets me, I keep a mull to 5 with only lands being 2 x Wasteland. I draw a third Wasteland and those are my only lands. He FoW's my T1 Pithing Needle and he "only" has T3 SnT into Emrakul. I had Council's Judgment in hand, if only I had white mana sources..

R4 - 2-0 vs Turbo Depths
    G1: I stop 2 Marit Lage tokens, but SFM+Jitte and BSkull are quite fast clock anyways.
    G2: Long game where he needled Wasteland and I needled Thespian's Stage. Fate sealing Jace bottomed all his outs and SFM+Jitte rode to the victory.

List felt good, considering to move the SB Karakas to MB and replace one Wasteland and add maybe another Pithing Needle to SB.

Hey its been a while since my last report. I've been playing but been busy so haven't had time to do my usual writeup. My local shop did just start doing streaming w/ commentary, and there were two blade lists on stream this week! Figured i'd plug my local store as we're trying to step up our legacy support.

I got the feature match in round 1, and a jeskai stoneblade player got it in round 4.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/261518579##

Quote Originally Posted by meite View Post
    Played UW Stoneblade last week, with 3-1 result.

List:
    Lands-23
    5 Island
    3 Plains
    2 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland

Creatures-11
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells-20
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Councilís Judgement
    2 Counterspell

Artifacts-2
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawaís Jitte

Planeswalkers-2

Enchantments-2
    2 Back to Basics

Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Karakas
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Pithing Needle

R1 - 2-0 vs Deathblade
    G1: hose him with Back to Basics
    G2: he counters my B2B, discards all my equipments, but eventually 2 TNN is too much for him to handle.

R2 - 2-1 vs Elves
    G1: he rolls me over
    G2: Jitte takes over the game
    G3: 2 Engineered Explosives and TNN handles it

R3 - 0-2 vs Sneak and Show
    G1: he has T2 Sneak Attack with activation mana and FoW backup on the play. My single FoW is not enough
    G2: variance gets me, I keep a mull to 5 with only lands being 2 x Wasteland. I draw a third Wasteland and those are my only lands. He FoW's my T1 Pithing Needle and he "only" has T3 SnT into Emrakul. I had Council's Judgment in hand, if only I had white mana sources..

R4 - 2-0 vs Turbo Depths
    G1: I stop 2 Marit Lage tokens, but SFM+Jitte and BSkull are quite fast clock anyways.
    G2: Long game where he needled Wasteland and I needled Thespian's Stage. Fate sealing Jace bottomed all his outs and SFM+Jitte rode to the victory.

List felt good, considering to move the SB Karakas to MB and replace one Wasteland and add maybe another Pithing Needle to SB.

I like your list.

How is the combomatchup in general?

My list rund 22 lands 4 Waste and 1 Tundra 2 Flusterstorm main with 1 Counterspell and 2 Spell Snares(Probably wrong though)

My SB is 2 additional Flusterstorm, 2 Ethersworn, 2 Priest, 1 Blue Blast, 2 Disenchant, 2 EE, 3 Surgical and 1 Gideon..

UW Stoneblade

I have brought UW Stoneblade to the last 2 FNMís. Going 5-0 and 4-1.. Still a lot of work to be done with the deck If it at all is good enough on the long term.?

List:
    Lands-22
    5 Island
    3 Plains
    1 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Wasteland

Creatures-10
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage

Spells-21
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Councilís Judgement
    1 Counterspell

Artifacts-2
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawaís Jitte

Planeswalkers-2

Enchantments-2
    2 Back to Basics

Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Disenchant
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 Ethersworn Canonist

The deck has a really nice package in Disenchant and EE plus 2 CJ in main against lockpiece decks. Not to mention B2B which WINS GAMES.

Iím still afraid of Miracles though. So my SB might not be correct yet.

Thread Information