Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mono U Tempo Delver

May 2019
    The Netherlands

Re: Mono U Tempo Delver

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    This list just 5-0 and top 4ed at a big MTGO tourney...
    Thanks for posting my list, it's a lot of fun to play and it's stronger than I had expected.

The only thing I dislike is the Merfolk Trickster (unless it can tap Emrakul, I dont think it can). Would prefer another 1cc drop there. I think either 2 Jaceís Phantasm or 2 Siren Stormtamer would be better options if the deck wants to play Curious Obsession.
    It can indeed tap Emrakul, but I'm currently off Trickster. It was good, but I needed more cards to flip Delver, so I'm on Vapor Snag now.

I started out with more 1-drops, with Stormtamer being one of the candidates, alongside Mausoleum Wanderer, but I found my earlier builds to be a bit too creature-heavy. However, including more 1-drops that interact with the opponent is definitely a solid plan.

Quote Originally Posted by frustanani View Post
    I would probably add some Disrupt in some Spell Pierces' or Flusterstorms' slots
    Oooh, definitely a fun card to try out! I do think it weakens the deck against Plow decks, since they usually have mana to spare, but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by frustanani View Post
    Curious Obsession is a very good card turn 2 when you play a turn 1 critter and connects. It is great when everything is going ok, it is a bad card when you are not connecting with a creature. I think it performs better with a larger number of creatures in the deck (16+) to my view. To make card advantage you need to connect twice with the enchanted creature and sometimes opponents can make 2 for 1 with a simple Lightning Bolt
    It's definitely a risky card, but it's run away with so many games for me by now. Play it safe when you can and sometimes it's better to wait for True-Name Nemesis to hit the board. And, sometimes you just have to risk it ;). I'm currently trying Peek and so far it's been great, knowing what your opponent has is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    Not too unsold on the merfolk. I like that it can tap blockers for lethal.

Iím a bit surprised you didnít use psionic blast. I donít really test this deck anymore, but even a few months back, the reach or creature removal in the blast has usually been very relevant.
    Trickster can indeed swing the entire game around when timed accurately.

I've dabbled with a one-off Psionic Blast and it was pretty good, I got to kill the opponent with it in 2 games across 1 league. Thalia is my main reason for not going for Blast permanently.

Updated list (not including the Peek test):

Land (18)

3 Flooded Strand
    6 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland

Creature (12)

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Pteramander
    4 True-Name Nemesis

Sorcery (4)

4 Ponder

Instant (23)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    2 Vapor Snag

Enchantment (3)

3 Curious Obsession

Sideboard (15)

2 Back to Basics
    1 Commandeer
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnare
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    2 Winter Orb

Vapor Snag has been better than Trickster for the aformentioned reason and I'm on one fewer Curious Obsession for the hit-or-miss reason mentioned by Frustanani.

I'm considering an extra Flusterstorm, it's extremely good at protecting our 1-drops.

Play of the week: casting Commandeer on Reanimate, netting me my own Griselbrand

Quote Originally Posted by Beest View Post
    Thanks for posting my list, it's a lot of fun to play and it's stronger than I had expected.

It can indeed tap Emrakul, but I'm currently off Trickster. It was good, but I needed more cards to flip Delver, so I'm on Vapor Snag now.

I started out with more 1-drops, with Stormtamer being one of the candidates, alongside Mausoleum Wanderer, but I found my earlier builds to be a bit too creature-heavy. However, including more 1-drops that interact with the opponent is definitely a solid plan.

Oooh, definitely a fun card to try out! I do think it weakens the deck against Plow decks, since they usually have mana to spare, but it's worth a shot.

It's definitely a risky card, but it's run away with so many games for me by now. Play it safe when you can and sometimes it's better to wait for True-Name Nemesis to hit the board. And, sometimes you just have to risk it ;). I'm currently trying Peek and so far it's been great, knowing what your opponent has is gas.

Trickster can indeed swing the entire game around when timed accurately.

I've dabbled with a one-off Psionic Blast and it was pretty good, I got to kill the opponent with it in 2 games across 1 league. Thalia is my main reason for not going for Blast permanently.

Land (18)

3 Flooded Strand
    6 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland

Creature (12)

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Pteramander
    4 True-Name Nemesis

Sorcery (4)

4 Ponder

Instant (23)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    2 Vapor Snag

Enchantment (3)

3 Curious Obsession

Sideboard (15)

2 Back to Basics
    1 Commandeer
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnare
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    2 Winter Orb

Vapor Snag has been better than Trickster for the aformentioned reason and I'm on one fewer Curious Obsession for the hit-or-miss reason mentioned by Frustanani.

I'm considering an extra Flusterstorm, it's extremely good at protecting our 1-drops.

Play of the week: casting Commandeer on Reanimate, netting me my own Griselbrand
    No space for narset's reversal? it's pretty good as a 'hard' counter, can give you extra cards against ad nauseum, it can save your vapour snag from a counter.. heck it can save your vapour snag against a marit lage with crop rotation on the stack. I get that it's not the best tempo play though, but off the side, and as a complete blow-out, it's something to behold.

One other thing though, is there no space or vendillion clique? it allows us to use our tempo, and it also lets us snipe something out of our opponents hand post-ponder or some other cantrip. I get that it's since been outdone by TNN, but i think its flash and hand-disruption is something useful to have. Also, it can function as a bad cantrip for us too.
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by Beest View Post

Land (18)

3 Flooded Strand
    6 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland

Creature (12)

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Pteramander
    4 True-Name Nemesis

Sorcery (4)

4 Ponder

Instant (23)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    1 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    2 Vapor Snag

Enchantment (3)

3 Curious Obsession

Sideboard (15)

2 Back to Basics
    1 Commandeer
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnare
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    2 Winter Orb

I love your new list. I think it's absolutely perfect. Really love that you went with 4x Spell Pierce.

I think your biggest weakness will be fast aggro strategies since you have no sweepers and many of your counters can't counter creatures but I guess TNN and Vapor Snag will help some.

May 2019
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    No space for narset's reversal? it's pretty good as a 'hard' counter, can give you extra cards against ad nauseum, it can save your vapour snag from a counter.. heck it can save your vapour snag against a marit lage with crop rotation on the stack. I get that it's not the best tempo play though, but off the side, and as a complete blow-out, it's something to behold.

One other thing though, is there no space or vendillion clique? it allows us to use our tempo, and it also lets us snipe something out of our opponents hand post-ponder or some other cantrip. I get that it's since been outdone by TNN, but i think its flash and hand-disruption is something useful to have. Also, it can function as a bad cantrip for us too.
    I'd love an effect like Reversal, but it's a bit too situational for 2 mana I think. I tried Counterspell when testing the first version of this deck and while the hard counter was really strong, keeping up 2 mana in this deck is generally not where you find yourself. 1 mana up is the sweet spot, usually.

Clique, however, would be a great addition to the deck/sideboard. I'll be testing it!

I love your new list. I think it's absolutely perfect. Really love that you went with 4x Spell Pierce.

I think your biggest weakness will be fast aggro strategies since you have no sweepers and many of your counters can't counter creatures but I guess TNN and Vapor Snag will help some.
    Definitely. The worst matchups so far seem to be Elves, followed by Aether Vial decks and multi-colored Delver decks, though luckily due to the nature of this deck, no matchups feel unwinnable.

I am wondering if Force of Negation fits here well.

The only issue is that it cant counter creatures and go wide aggro strategies give this deck a hard time. Fortunately, I think elves is the only such matchup right now.

Edit: Eldrazi and DnT too but Force of Negation counters Chalice and Vial which is an amazingly useful function.

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

I think if this deck wants some number of Force of Negation then Standstill gets very, very good. T1 Delver/Pteramander, turn 2 Standstill. It allows you to refill when you are playing 5+ Force of Will variants.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Thread Information