Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mono U Tempo Delver

Re: Mono U Tempo Delver

Quote Originally Posted by Draggo View Post
    How is that guy playing Careful Study over Faithless Looting? Makes no sense at all.
    So when he plays Manamorphose he adds allways UU. It does make sense.

Pteromanders are too slow as the first threat. I think 2 of is good. Aside from them, delver and jaces phantasm, are there any other decent 1-drops in our arsenal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Iím probably the only one trying out a new build, but hear me out:
    4 delver
    4 jaces phantasm
    2 pteromander
    1 true name nemesis
    4 archive trap
    4 thought scour
    3 force of will
    4 daze
    2 spell snare
    3 spell pierce
    4 Brainstorm
    3 vapor snag
    1 psionic blast
    3 visions from beyond
    1 surgical extraction

4 wasteland
    7 fetch
    6 island

Yep, itís for realsies. I think the earliest Iíve done is a turn 2 jaces phantasm as 5/5, and itís pretty freaking sweet. Archive traps + random surgical s has been sweet, but the greatest is having main deck ancestral recalls. Also, being able to thought scour miracles in response to predicts have been fun too.

Also, this folds to chalice for 1 like you wouldnít believe. I think even angel stompy would give this deck fits.

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    That was indeed very funny! I think the ono u won because he completely neutered a chunk of the rug deck (stifles, wastelands) and not being able to get back from that hole.

Playing with fetches turns those stifles back on. Heck it even turns on the wastelands (ever been wastelanded with the brainstorm in response to therapy, inquisition or hymn?)..

Iím quite impressed with the blue dragon actually. Iím gonna test 4 dragons, 4 pteromanders, 4 delver, 4 sprites, 2 snapcaster and possibly 2 ninjas (that look on the rug players face when he saw the ninja!).

Blue Dragon? Do you mean Cryptic Serpent?

Also I don't follow, how are fetchlands bad against wasteland in a monoblue list?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Blue Dragon? Do you mean Cryptic Serpent?

Also I don't follow, how are fetchlands bad against wasteland in a monoblue list?
    Sorry.. I meant jaces phantasm. Itís the 1/1 flier that gets +4/+4 if an opponent has 10 or more cards in the gy. I donít think cryptic serpents are playable, really.

Well, wastelands against mono u fetches can cause some awkward brainstorms/ponders/flipping delivers. I think Iíve been burned more than once that way. It doesnít feel nearly as bad as losing a tropic though, but itís still something to consider.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    Paris City

I really don't like archive trap here.
    I understand that it fuels phantasm and vision, but it's really only card disadvantage (Along with FoW that is also some card disadvantage).
    I'd rather play more pteramanders or concentrate on my own game plan that is putting cards in my own graveyard rather that potentially helping my Grixis delver opponent by dumping 10 cards in his graveyard.

And yes, i'd say that in this meta, i'd play another threat than jace's phantasm as people are using delve spells a lot (Angler).
    Death and taxes!!

Another Draft Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I really don't like archive trap here.
    I understand that it fuels phantasm and vision, but it's really only card disadvantage (Along with FoW that is also some card disadvantage).
    I'd rather play more pteramanders or concentrate on my own game plan that is putting cards in my own graveyard rather that potentially helping my Grixis delver opponent by dumping 10 cards in his graveyard.

And yes, i'd say that in this meta, i'd play another threat than jace's phantasm as people are using delve spells a lot (Angler).
    I think my local is very skewed towards blue and white, so maybe that's not a big deal. Aside from grixis/bug lists that run anglers, tombstalkers and mongooses, are there any other decks that this would be helping? oh and dredge, reanimator.

But what you say is very relevant actually. Perhaps it is better to go with the full 8 cantrips + thought scour + some number of mental note, and go with pteromanders and maybe 1-3 cryptic serpents.
    The problem i have with cryptic serpents is that they can get stuck in my hand with basically no outs. i could BS-tuck 'em, but i think there should be better things to do with my brainstorms.
    Also, i'm considering running a 1-of sneaky temporal mastery, and throwing in the 4-of accumulated knowledge. Card drawing is good, and there's a good chance i can sneak off an extra turn for that final bit of reach.

Just curious, if we're going to focus on self-milling, what should the threats look like? 4 delvers, 4 pteromanders, 2 cryptic serpent, 2 TNN, 1 clique? and to turn on those terrys and snakes, we're going to need at least 4 BS, 4 ponder, 2 preordain, 4 thought scours, 3 mental note, 4 AK. I feel like we need more flow through the deck; things like chart a course or take inventory could be good... probably not though, but i always feel like it takes too long to turn those creatures into 5/5s. our clock is just too slow.

could false memories be a thing? serpents and pteromanders look only for sorceries and instants, so we can mill 7, exile creatures and lands we don't need, and probably then are able to turn them all on.

With this style though, we're a LOT slower than most (if not all) tempo/aggro decks, but we're not aggressive enough to take on the control decks either. It's in this weird half-way zone that loses to both sides. I guess thats why adding red to this build has been simply amazing. the extra addition of burn plus cantrips means that we don't need the creatures to hit for more than 10. I'm not sure where this deck is at its best; as a tempo deck where CA isn't a thing, and we just go all-in as fast as we can, or if it should be more mid-range controly, where CA is a serious consideration.
    I might just leave this dream as it is for now, and try to morph it into UR delver instead.

Thread Information