Thread: TCGplayer, Europe, and "private deal" ?

TCGplayer, Europe, and "private deal" ?

Hi all,

I live in Paris, France and am about to buy some expensive cards (>600€/$) on TCGplayer. This would be my first time buying on this platform (I have just created an account).

As a European I tend to buy on MKM and/or ebay, but I've been in discussion with a US-based ebay seller (who looks legit, not a lot of sells, about fifty, but other expensive cards among them) from the US for a nice deal that I don't want to finalize on ebay because when I tried, the platform adds ~190$ in "international taxes" (which obviously completely ruins the deal). I asked the seller if I could pay him directly via PayPal and he suggested going through TCGplayer if I had an account there.

Is there anything special I should know ? How can this "arrangement" work out ? For example I've seemed to notice that I can't message another TCGplayer user directly (maybe I'm wrong), and in the end I don't really know if we could indeed make such a "private" deal on TCGplayer (while of course keeping some buyer protection) ?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Re: TCGplayer, Europe, and "private deal" ?

I would say if you can't get the deal to work through ebay, try to see if he is in one of facebook groups, confirm references there and buy direct through paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by 13b View Post
    I would say if you can't get the deal to work through ebay, try to see if he is in one of facebook groups, confirm references there and buy direct through paypal.
    One of Facebook groups ? Like which ones ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Oct 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    One of Facebook groups ? Like which ones ?
    High End Magic: the Gathering stuff for buy / sell / trade! MtG
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Goyfs from MM are like the last kid you pick in a kindergarten soccer match.
    You know he sucks, he knows, everybody knows, but you still need him to play.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Be careful of unexpected customs fees - people usually dealing within Europe only probably almost forgot that this still exists between most other countries

I received a card from Canada that was (incorrectly) labeled as being around 100 CAD and I had to pay around €35 including around €15 'declaration fee' that many postal services or parcel services charge. I was also very lucky that the sender had randomly put 100 CAD as value only as it was in reality a $800 Tabernacle that would probably have cost €120-150 in Customs taxes (I did not ask him to write this wrong number as I had even totally forgotten about customs myself)

Also note that asking someone to wrongly declare a low value is theoretically customs fraud that may be punishable.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

That's why you have a Scrye or Inquest laying around to verify your pricing

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thread Information