Thread: Artifact Storm

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Artifact Storm

So I like tinkering around with silly combo decks just as something to goldfish, but there is enough going on in this one that I’d appreciate some feed back as this has turned out to have some powerful synergies.
    Yes this is a no interaction or protection combo deck, it will never be tier three, and that’s fine, it’s just been fun to explore, and will be something I take to a small weekly tournament just to mess around with.

I’ve had this together in some form or another since Paradoxical Outcomes was printed. But Sunbird’s Invocation is crazy strong and a fun inclusion. This can cast it on turn 2, which is pretty much an auto win if it resolves. You haven’t lived till you have cast a thoughtcast for 1 mana and cast a Paradoxical off of it for no mana and then drawn 2 cards on top of it, eat your heart out Ancestral.

Not sure on the numbers, it’s possible this just wants 4 Keys in it, there are lots of other considerations too, like Petals, Semblance Anvil, Candelabras, and possibly more cantriping artifacts over something like ponder, just to push the synergies as far as you can. Ponder has not been great in here but is good when things aren’t going to plan.

The Burning Wish board is very rough at the moment too.

There might be a better way to sneak protection into this list, but Defense Grid can’t be it cause Helm works against it. Hope of Ghaipur is maybe an option? Maybe just some Thought Knot Seer’s as a plan B and some protection. Probably not main. There’s also the possibility of just putting in some Karn, planeswalkers on the board as a Plan B, or other eldrazi’s to go with TKS. Not sure about that as space is limited because of the wishes.

This is probably just a worse Belcher or Sneak and Tell all things told, but a fun area to explore, if you like making a million mana and drawing your library in a turn.

4 Paradoxical Outcome
    4 Thoughtcast
    3 Sunbird’s Invocation
    3 Burning Wish
    4 Ponder

4 Grim Monolith
    4 Basalt Monolith
    4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Prophetic Prism
    2 Voltaic Key
    2 Izzet Signet

4 Mox Opal
    2 Mox Diamond

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Seat of the Synod

Burning Wish Options:

Grapeshot
    Empty the Warrens
    Tendrils of Agony
    Void Snare
    Shattering Spree
    By Force
    Diminishing Returns
    Time Spiral
    Upheaval
    Inner Fire
    Pyroclasm
    Wildfire

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: Artifact Storm

I'd like to see some Paradox Engine in there.

I don't see why Defense Grid wouldn't work. Making Force cost an additional 2 instead of 3 is still pretty good, unless you need multiple Awakenings on the field.

The only spell that costs 1 is 2x Voltaic Key, so I think putting in Chalice could help. You can get around that issue with sequencing, or simply having the opponent counter Chalice because they lose otherwise. Is also another flex cost spell that can dig into your deck if you're careful about the X.

If you're able to make a ton of mana and are running Burning Wish, why not a single Banefire or Molten Disaster to kill instead of storm cards? Has the benefit of digging through the rest of your deck too with Sunbird out, if that's an issue for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

THat's a good point on Defence grid, though usually you are going for multiple helms.

Chalice is a great idea and something i hadn't really considered but i'll try it out, maybe over the ponders.

Paradox Engine is interesting but i'm not sure how much it actually does, as it will never give you anything other than mana, which isn't the problem, if there was some sort of loot effect or card drawer on a permanent we could use it would be more enticing. I'll try it out though, it's something i hadn't considered.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    THat's a good point on Defence grid, though usually you are going for multiple helms.

Chalice is a great idea and something i hadn't really considered but i'll try it out, maybe over the ponders.

Paradox Engine is interesting but i'm not sure how much it actually does, as it will never give you anything other than mana, which isn't the problem, if there was some sort of loot effect or card drawer on a permanent we could use it would be more enticing. I'll try it out though, it's something i hadn't considered.
    There's Temple Bell. I've seen that in this article, rebuilt the deck for Legacy, and it seemed to work ok. Basically you make mana, draw, untap and repeat...

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    There's Temple Bell. I've seen that in this article, rebuilt the deck for Legacy, and it seemed to work ok. Basically you make mana, draw, untap and repeat...

I played around with something similar in Modern a while ago, it was terrible but very very fun.

Not sure temple bell could work in here, i think it only works if we are on a Paradox Engine plan, or very heavy on keys, but i think that turns into a different deck. Might be worth exploring, but i worry that it takes up too many slots. It's really a different direction.

Thread Information