Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wouldn't have been more interesting to see Leovold as a WGB card?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Re: wouldn't have been more interesting to see Leovold as a WGB card?

If Leovold was WBG it would be basically trash though. Or it would be played in a 4color deck THAT IS FUCKING BLUE. It's sad to say but any card that can't be played by blue decks is basically garbage in legacy and it has been that way for years. But hey at least we can pyroblast him I guess.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

it's just a shame that they really hated on land destruction and mana denial strategies. this was one of the best ways to deal with greedy mana bases. we're still relying on wasteland, port, blood moon and to a lesser extent choke and back to basics.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    it's just a shame that they really hated on land destruction and mana denial strategies. this was one of the best ways to deal with greedy mana bases. we're still relying on wasteland, port, blood moon and to a lesser extent choke and back to basics.
    More "free" LD just leads to a resugence of the UG Canadian Threshold decks with Stifle + Wasteland + Delver/Goyf/Stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    More "free" LD just leads to a resugence of the UG Canadian Threshold decks with Stifle + Wasteland + Delver/Goyf/Stupidity.
    What isn't stupid to you?

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    If Leovold was WBG it would be basically trash though. Or it would be played in a 4color deck THAT IS FUCKING BLUE. It's sad to say but any card that can't be played by blue decks is basically garbage in legacy and it has been that way for years. But hey at least we can pyroblast him I guess.
    Bit of a stretch seeing how Thalia won the last Grand Prix

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Really? I thought that was Wasteland, Port, and Vial.

But on a slightly more serious note that's why I said basically. There's always corner cases, but thanks for taking the time to nit pick.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

I mean, 2/5ths of the current DTB is non-blue; blue is obviously great in Legacy, but saying non-blue decks are all garbage is disingenuous.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

There's always going to be some statistical outliers. Non blue may have won, but but top 32 was still almost 90% brainstorm blue stew piles
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    There's always going to be some statistical outliers. Non blue may have won, but but top 32 was still almost 90% brainstorm blue stew piles
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by pointicus View Post
    ...the real dirty problem with leo is that his anti-cantrip effect isn't symmetrical.
    Yes.

If Leovold was symmetrical, would it even be playable? Only if its colors did not include blue. WGB does not get cantrips - has to work for a living.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    If Leovold was symmetrical, would it even be playable? Only if its colors did not include blue. WGB does not get cantrips - has to work for a living.
    The issue is formatting complexity. You'd have to state that the controller's card from draw step does not count against Leo's tally (otherwise any instant cast on Leo controller's turn would result in no bonus card draw or no draw from draw step).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The issue is formatting complexity. You'd have to state that the controller's card from draw step does not count against Leo's tally (otherwise any instant cast on Leo controller's turn would result in no bonus card draw or no draw from draw step).
    I never got why the wording must be so complicated:

Spells and abilities can't cause players to draw cards.
    Short and should get the job done.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

True, but I kinda like how there would be a way to "defeat" the extra draw ability. There becomes this metagame of Leo's controller trying to convince his opponent to spot remove stuff on his own turn while Leo's opponent wants to hit stuff on Leo's turn. Honestly, a much more interesting card.

BTW, I don't think I was thinking that the entire card should be symmetrical, just the Spirit of the Lab part. But, whatever. Que sera sera.

One more tidbit: True-Name Nemesis is pretty much unplayable in commander. Leovold is good-to-excellent.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    True, but I kinda like how there would be a way to "defeat" the extra draw ability. There becomes this metagame of Leo's controller trying to convince his opponent to spot remove stuff on his own turn while Leo's opponent wants to hit stuff on Leo's turn. Honestly, a much more interesting card.

BTW, I don't think I was thinking that the entire card should be symmetrical, just the Spirit of the Lab part. But, whatever. Que sera sera.

One more tidbit: True-Name Nemesis is pretty much unplayable in commander. Leovold is good-to-excellent.
    Wasn't he banned in commander? A step above excellent perhaps.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

If the wording had been "Whenever an opponent would draw a spell, they either pay 1 life per card drawn or skip that draw instead" it would've felt more appropriate to the black aspect, as Chains of Mephistopheles, for instance, or Underworld Dreams, have similar effects. It would also be a lot more balanced - it makes Brainstorm suck but even Ponder is still playable, but the incremental life loss could matter on a 3/3 body that also gives you and your permanents semi-shroud.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Just could have been "symmetrical" (Players can't draw more than 1 card except from Leo trigger), like most hatebears are... TNN could have also been Protec from everything... the trend of overpowers creatures... well, but what do I know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Just could have been "symmetrical" (Players can't draw more than 1 card except from Leo trigger), like most hatebears are... TNN could have also been Protec from everything... the trend of overpowers creatures... well, but what do I know...
    This. These cards would be far less miserable if they were symmetrical effects
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Same reason why TNN should have been a white card insted of blue - it would have still been a stupid card to play against, but at least it would have made more sense color-pie wise. Maro's explanation that blue gets the most cards with non-color protection is bullshit and downright wrong.
    My settings on the app, nothing else just creature, protection and I select a color.

White has 89 cards with "protection".
    Blue has 18 cards with "protection"
    Black has 27 cards with "protection"
    Red has 18 cards with "protection"
    Green has 29 cards with "protection"

If you select just legacy
    W 88
    U 17
    B 27
    R 17
    G 29

In case your curious, looks like the 3 cards that aren't legacy legal are Un cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Progenitus is technically blue.
    Progenitus also technically has protection from all colors.

Thread Information