Thread: Ixalan Policy Updates.

Ixalan Policy Updates.

Policy changes for Ixalan include making sure that your opponent is choosing not to do an optional thing from one of your spells/abilities.

Ghost Quarter them? If they don't go grab a basic then you have to confirm that they are choosing not to. Ditto with Path to Exile and Veteran Explorer. :/

Link

Recently, there’s been some question about what we expect players to do when they play a spell or ability – most commonly Path to Exile, but Ghost Quarter comes up, too – and their opponent doesn’t do an optional part of the instruction. Since it’s optional, that’s theoretically a legal result, even if they didn’t realize that they had the option. Given the preponderance of textless and foreign cards, and communication rules that don’t require you to explain everything a card does (because that way lies madness), there was incentive for scurvy dogs to not bring up those parts of a card.

Revised communication rules have added text to preempt this. Now, if a spell or ability you play gives an opponent a choice, you must get confirmation from them that they aren’t doing the optional thing. You still don’t have to remind them while they decide if they want to respond, but once it resolves and the time comes, no making assumptions...

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Re: Ixalan [XLN]

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Policy changes for Ixalan include making sure that your opponent is choosing not to do an optional thing from one of your spells/abilities.

Ghost Quarter them? If they don't go grab a basic then you have to confirm that they are choosing not to. Ditto with Path to Exile and Veteran Explorer. :/

Link
    That makes a lot of sense from a sportsmanship perspective, but it definitely undercuts an important element of the game. I guess it's nice they're making it harder for people to win off the back of "obscure clause on an obscure card in Korean," but I've had a lot of games/matches that were decided by people's forgetting to do or failing to notice something important. I've been that person, and so have my opponents.

I guess it's good that they're (perhaps unwittingly) touching on the difference between not knowing how cards work and not noticing details in board-states.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    but I've had a lot of games/matches that were decided by people's forgetting to do or failing to notice something important. I've been that person, and so have my opponents.
    I actually like this change due to this reason - I hate losing because of that AND I hate winning like that

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

There are Jedi mind tricks, and then there are foreign cards with optional effects that you leave it to your opponent to remember. I think it's underhanded to introduce this kind of obfuscation in a card game with tens of thousands of game pieces with varied text, so this new rule is fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Hooray!!! no more scum bagging and feel bads from Tabernacle.

@Mods

Can this be a separate thread? Seems like there is a discussion to be had over this and it doesn't have anything to do with the Ixalan set.

But Tabernacle gives the ability to the opponent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Hooray!!! no more scum bagging and feel bads from Tabernacle.
    Of course there are the people who purposely don't pay because they think it's on the Tabernacle player to remember. They deserve what they get.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Dinosaurs and Pirates. I still can't get over the ridiculousness of that combination of themes. It's like something out of a Calvin and Hobbes fantasy sequence.
    I have no issues with pirates exploring tropical islands in a fantasy setting ala Arthur Conan Doyle - I actually like this. And the merfolk make perfect sense in a nautical world. I do feel like the vampires are tacked on though. Skeletons would have been a much better fit imo.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Does the change affect Tabernacle at all? Or is it only on the Tabernacle player to advise their opponent if the new "ability" once when it comes into play?

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    I do feel like the vampires are tacked on though. Skeletons would have been a much better fit imo.
    Wizards is making a point about the historical nature of the Conquistadors—they're bleeding everything dry literally, in Ixalan, as well as metaphorically.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Canderson3000 View Post
    Does the change affect Tabernacle at all? Or is it only on the Tabernacle player to advise their opponent if the new "ability" once when it comes into play?
    No, it won't change anything for that. The actual rule is:

During the resolution of one of their spells or abilities, a player may not assume their opponent has taken a shortcut. They must seek confirmation that a choice with no visible impact was taken.
    One, Tabernacle is neither a spell nor an ability you control (it's the creature, who they control's ability) and also it has a definite visible impact. It would just be a missed trigger on their part, which you aren't responsible to remind them of.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    @Mods

Can this be a separate thread? Seems like there is a discussion to be had over this and it doesn't have anything to do with the Ixalan set.
    Sounds reasonable.

For the record, this will only effect triggers I control that are optional. In Lands this is basically Ghost Quarter and little else. Tabernacle is a global effect, just like the early Lords are. I don't have to remind you your Mutavault could hit me for Lethal thanks to a stats boost and Islandwalk and I also don't have to remind you your creatures now have a upkeep trigger.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Sounds reasonable.

For the record, this will only effect triggers I control that are optional. In Lands this is basically Ghost Quarter and little else. Tabernacle is a global effect, just like the early Lords are. I don't have to remind you your Mutavault could hit me for Lethal thanks to a stats boost and Islandwalk and I also don't have to remind you your creatures now have a upkeep trigger.

Thank you!

Hrm, the tabernacle thing seems like it is sort of against the spirit of this, but it does make sense.

Overall i think this is a great change, i personally hate winning on technicalities, and want wins to come from my own play and skills not on my opponent not knowing how cards work or being confused.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Ixalan Policy Updates.

A quick gatherer search for card text "opponent may" brought back 31 cards, nothing notable. Searching for "controller may" brought back 43 cards, including Ghost Quarter and Path to Exile. That number also includes the reminder text for Cipher, so really 30 cards; not a whole lot of affected cards.
    Interesting that "controller may" covers all the 'chain of' cards, looking forward to aggressively asking if my opponent will choose the option of paying to copy my Chain Lightning. Are you? ARE YOU? I MUST KNOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Interesting that "controller may" covers all the 'chain of' cards, looking forward to aggressively asking if my opponent will choose the option of paying to copy my Chain Lightning. Are you? ARE YOU? I MUST KNOW!
    As long as they've got two cards in hand, they could ape-chain you!
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    As long as they've got two cards in hand, they could ape-chain you!
    How hard is it for Elves to generate 2 Red Mana via DRS? Or any decks with DRS in play for that matter?

Also, cards with "each opponent may," notably Veteran Explorer.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Does this rule interact with Tabernacle? the losses resulting from "not choosing fast enough" because you drew a card or some such, does that get turned into a "you take a penalty for drawing early" or does it remain a "You need to remember or get screwed" thing?

I've not lost to it before, but I've watched people throw games to that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    Does this rule interact with Tabernacle? the losses resulting from "not choosing fast enough" because you drew a card or some such, does that get turned into a "you take a penalty for drawing early" or does it remain a "You need to remember or get screwed" thing?

I've not lost to it before, but I've watched people throw games to that problem.
    I answered above, but as per the current wording of this, there is no interaction with Tabernacle.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information