Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 222

Thread: Pirate Stompy

  1. #81

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    None of the listed decks I have seen would have a fun day against Lands. I think you either eat the match or you plan for it. What would you do to plan?
    Land Equilibrium and Sea Draking your own lands!

  2. #82
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2013
    Location

    Rhode Island
    Posts

    192

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    The stream guys are using Fade Away and Clone effects to capitalize the Rishidan pirates with Sirenís Ruse.

    If you set up a Chalice on one plus Footpad, Sirenís Ruse, and otherís you can start pox-ing them right out.

    It needs something else as a back up to Chalice.
    Modern: Skred
    Legacy: Working on Eldrazi Stompy

  3. #83
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,176

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    The stream guys are using Fade Away and Clone effects to capitalize the Rishidan pirates with Sirenís Ruse.

    If you set up a Chalice on one plus Footpad, Sirenís Ruse, and otherís you can start pox-ing them right out.

    It needs something else as a back up to Chalice.
    The mana denial plan seems pretty weak so far. Fade Away seems interesting, though.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  4. #84
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2013
    Location

    Rhode Island
    Posts

    192

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    I mean if you want to go for small incremental mana denial, then you should just play Pox or a better Chalice deck...right?

    When it works, itís crazy and doing tempo stuff like blink my Footpad in response to a fetch is really cool.
    Modern: Skred
    Legacy: Working on Eldrazi Stompy

  5. #85

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    I'd def go UB over UR for Hostage Taker and play Curfew. Hostage Taker is insane. That said, this deck ain't the real pirate ninja deck.

  6. #86

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    I can only hope that the next deck to break the format will just play a bunch of trash rares like Parallax Tide and That Five Mana Pirate from 1999, it would be a fitting replacement to getting the format broken by a trash rare from Coldsnap.

  7. #87
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,176

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyl3lazer View Post
    I can only hope that the next deck to break the format will just play a bunch of trash rares like Parallax Tide and That Five Mana Pirate from 1999, it would be a fitting replacement to getting the format broken by a trash rare from Coldsnap.
    It only took 18 years to make Masques not suck. That's amazing in its own way.

    Coldsnap already broke the format with Counterbalance, though.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  8. #88

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Coldsnap already broke the format with Counterbalance, though.
    Counterbalance was uncommon not a rare.

  9. #89
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,176

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    THE LIST is coming. Hype!

    Quote Originally Posted by claulis View Post
    Counterbalance was uncommon not a rare.
    Fair enough.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  10. #90

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by claulis View Post
    Counterbalance was uncommon not a rare.
    Yeah it was but I'll just pretend I was talking about Dark Depths

  11. #91
    Predictor of Miracles
    Minniehajj's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2015
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    427

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Irony aside, Snap is probably a better enabler with Sol lands while also serving as anti-fatty tech and not clashing with with Chalice.


    After making the format staler than a fart for three years, they do owe us some excitement.
    "They"
    I'm one of them ;-;
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

    People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost ó For Support Rather Than Illumination

  12. #92
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2013
    Location

    Rhode Island
    Posts

    192

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Bob Huang also confirmed UB with a splash of red for sideboard cards.

    I think this confirms Hostage Taker possibly?
    Modern: Skred
    Legacy: Working on Eldrazi Stompy

  13. #93
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,176

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    I think this confirms Hostage Taker possibly?
    It makes sense as it can be removal and has potential to be a combo piece even after its errata.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  14. #94
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2013
    Location

    Rhode Island
    Posts

    192

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Hostage my Footpad, blink the Hostage Taker...Footpad Triggers?
    Modern: Skred
    Legacy: Working on Eldrazi Stompy

  15. #95

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    Hostage my Footpad, blink the Hostage Taker...Footpad Triggers?
    Could just skip a step and blink Footpad?

  16. #96
    Member
    Doishy's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2014
    Location

    Bristol, UK
    Posts

    56

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Could just skip a step and blink Footpad?
    But then you wouldn't get Hostage to reenter, take Cutpurse to then be able to cast Cutpurse again under the taker :)


    We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

    Meow.

  17. #97
    Member
    Rishadan Brigand's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2017
    Location

    Johnson City, TN
    Posts

    13

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    I see Snapcaster in a lot of these lists but I've yet to be impressed with him and the very small amount of hittable targets in the deck. How do you guys feel about Wasteland? I go back and forth between not using any and using a maximum of 3.

  18. #98
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    6,176

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Thinking about Hostage Taker again, it seems pretty good with Siren's Ruse, e.g.:

    - T3 Hostage Taker, steal your opponent's two-drop (bonus points for being uncounterable from Cavern)
    - T4 cast two-drop, Siren's Ruse, steal another card, draw a card
    - T5 cast stolen card

    At that point, you're already up +4 CA while having multiple threats and a crippled opponent - with two cards that are good on their own.

    I'm really looking forward to conversations like this:
    "Hey dude, what did you do on the weekend?"
    "A Hostage Taker forced me to plow my own Mom."
    Magic as Richard Garfield intended.
    Currently working on: Infinity Stompy

  19. #99
    Member

    Join Date

    Jun 2015
    Location

    NYC
    Posts

    1,226

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    You guys, now that the deck is going to be released, I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the way I acted in this thread earlier. Things got heated and I was a little bit too emotional. Ultimately I was just trying to protect something that my friends worked very hard on. Here's the thing - not very often does a deck totally come from out of nowhere like this - this was a masterpiece of brewing and we thought we did everything in our power to keep it a secret. But I think that's just impossible these days, and we need to accept that and not blame other people.

    So I'm not angry anymore - I'm actually just excited. A lot of blood and sweat went into building this deck and I think people are gonna be thrilled when they see the final product. As soon as the list is published, I think the new legacy meta is going to be nuts and I look forward to being able to finally be able to play Popeye in public. I don't think it will last too long honestly, because there will be at least 1-2 bannings, possibly emergency bannings, but it will be a ton of fun while it lasts.

    Anyway, I hope everyone here accepts my apology, I know I snapped at a lot of people.

  20. #100
    Ooh... Shiny!

    Join Date

    Aug 2005
    Location

    Raincouver
    Posts

    693

    Re: Pirate Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    You guys, now that the deck is going to be released, I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the way I acted in this thread earlier. Things got heated and I was a little bit too emotional. Ultimately I was just trying to protect something that my friends worked very hard on. Here's the thing - not very often does a deck totally come from out of nowhere like this - this was a masterpiece of brewing and we thought we did everything in our power to keep it a secret. But I think that's just impossible these days, and we need to accept that and not blame other people.

    So I'm not angry anymore - I'm actually just excited. A lot of blood and sweat went into building this deck and I think people are gonna be thrilled when they see the final product. As soon as the list is published, I think the new legacy meta is going to be nuts and I look forward to being able to finally be able to play Popeye in public. I don't think it will last too long honestly, because there will be at least 1-2 bannings, possibly emergency bannings, but it will be a ton of fun while it lasts.

    Anyway, I hope everyone here accepts my apology, I know I snapped at a lot of people.
    Pro tip: If you want to keep it secret, don't test on MTGO.

    Good luck, hope you get a card from Masques banned or something.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)