Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Pirate Stompy

Re: Pirate Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by drekonja View Post
    I watched it. Congratulations!

I would probably do some tweaks though. Azure fleet admiral instead of Ruin raider, even it costs one mana more it is a blue card, one more toughness and you are sure to draw a card at the end step and without losing life. It can backfire, but captain is good to take monarchy back if survives. Also I think Force of will are quite good main, cutting black cards like Plague engineer from main.
    Nice, glad you enjoyed it! I think you're right, I struggled to find good blue pirates, this one seems decent. I don't think we've got enough raw card advantage to run md pitch spells in here though.

@FTW, both your lists look good! But you're missing the plot, we're trying to show how Wheel and Deal...arguably the worst card in mtg history...is good here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    @FTW, both your lists look good! But you're missing the plot, we're trying to show how Wheel and Deal...arguably the worst card in mtg history...is good here.
    Oh I see. And here I was trying to replace Wheel and Deal with a decent Magic card, while staying true to the popeye theme.

Well, Wheel certainly seems least terrible next to 4x Hullbreacher and 4x Chains.

I'd still change up Ruin Raiders, maybe Departed Deckhand, and consider cutting down on Chains copies just to have tutors for Hullbreacher instead (Forerunner or Intuition). Milling has a real drawback in Legacy, where a ton of decks use graveyard as a resource.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Oh I see. And here I was trying to replace Wheel and Deal with a decent Magic card, while staying true to the popeye theme.

Well, Wheel certainly seems least terrible next to 4x Hullbreacher and 4x Chains.

We did lose 1 game by growing their goyf.

I'd still change up Ruin Raiders, maybe Departed Deckhand, and consider cutting down on Chains copies just to have tutors for Hullbreacher instead (Forerunner or Intuition). Milling has a real drawback in Legacy, where a ton of decks use graveyard as a resource.
    Wheel and deal is very on theme, it's very pirate flavored IMO. Sort of the whole point .

We did lose one game by growing their goyf.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

I also agree with drekonja that Azure Fleet Admiral is better than Ruin Raider. Even if it costs more, it also:
    -doesn't require Raid, so it draws cards more often
    -doesn't lose you life
    -blue card for FoW
    -bigger butt
    -has evasion if they get Monarch
    -has better Pirate themed art

The Monarch token is actually a Curse for the opponent when you have Hullbreacher (EOT create a Treasure) or Chains. The synergy with your deck is good enough to run up to 3 copies main.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I also agree with drekonja that Azure Fleet Admiral is better than Ruin Raider. Even if it costs more, it also:
    -doesn't require Raid, so it draws cards more often
    -doesn't lose you life
    -blue card for FoW
    -bigger butt
    -has evasion if they get Monarch
    -has better Pirate themed art

The Monarch token is actually a Curse for the opponent when you have Hullbreacher (EOT create a Treasure) or Chains. The synergy with your deck is good enough to run up to 3 copies main.
    I agree but in builds with 4 chains (which I think is correct currently, it's so good vs snoko and strong vs delver/elves/grizzly decks/echoes decks/TES) raider is my pick since it doesn't technically draw cards it works well with chains.

Winter Maze

Legacy Council tried Popeye Stompy! Skip to two hours in, link: http://www.twitch.tv/legacy_council/...?sr=a&t=11956s
    Good fun.

Winter Maze

Thread Information