Thread: Pirate Stompy

Hybrid View

Pirate Stompy

Here's the New and Developmental Decks description:
    For "unfinished" decks: For new or relatively untested decks and ideas which require further development or optimization. Once a developmental deck has been fully optimized, it can be moved to the Established Decks Forum by a moderator. A writeup including card choices and basic strategy is required.

Been working on a new deck trying to take advantage of Ixalan's Siren's Ruse to blink Mercadian Masques pirates. The rest is just a standard stompy shell. And there's a small SFM-like package w/ the new Deadeye Quartermaster.

Here's the list atm:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Island
    4 Saprazzan Skerry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Deadeye Quartermaster
    1 Fell Flagship
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lookout's Dispersal
    4 Rishadan Brigand
    4 Rishadan Cutpurse
    4 Rishadan Footpad
    4 Siren's Ruse
    1 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

*edit, this is NOT "The List"
    Last edited by f7eleven; 09-28-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Re: Pirate Stompy

4 Quartermaster (and ways to blink it) seems too many with only three targets. Maybe cut a few for Snapcaster Mage?

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Is this the list?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Lookout's Dispersal seems awful. If you want that effect you have Mana Leak, and that's always 2 mana.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Worth splashing White for Cloudshift? Blinks for a white. Also opens up sideboard options.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

With Chalice, probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Ghostly Flicker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

This has been the best thread in ages, gents. Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I get the whole, "hey let's parallax tide," thing but why no one mentioning opposition and cavern harpy?

Opposition is rather obnoxious and doesn't rely on having 8 proliferate dorks (I'm fine with a welkin tern pirate but 2 mana for a 1/1 is just a bad deal as it won't trade with delver), and cavern harpy threatens a soft or even hard lock at any moment.

Sep 2017
    Johnson City, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Umezete View Post
    I get the whole, "hey let's parallax tide," thing but why no one mentioning opposition and cavern harpy?

Opposition is rather obnoxious and doesn't rely on having 8 proliferate dorks (I'm fine with a welkin tern pirate but 2 mana for a 1/1 is just a bad deal as it won't trade with delver), and cavern harpy threatens a soft or even hard lock at any moment.
    Does it though? It's not truly a hard lock as you can only repeat it as many times as you have UB available and you have to pay 1 life each time which makes our Ancient Tombs worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishadan Brigand View Post
    Does it though? It's not truly a hard lock as you can only repeat it as many times as you have UB available and you have to pay 1 life each time which makes our Ancient Tombs worse.
    That's fair, I'm more onto going mono-blue at this point anyway.

I still think opposition might have merit though. Unless parallax tide can work with just 1 proliferate enabler as I really don't think thrummingbird cuts it. Not being able to at least trade with delver is a big drawback.

Thread Information