Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirate Stompy

Pirate Stompy

Here's the New and Developmental Decks description:
    For "unfinished" decks: For new or relatively untested decks and ideas which require further development or optimization. Once a developmental deck has been fully optimized, it can be moved to the Established Decks Forum by a moderator. A writeup including card choices and basic strategy is required.

Been working on a new deck trying to take advantage of Ixalan's Siren's Ruse to blink Mercadian Masques pirates. The rest is just a standard stompy shell. And there's a small SFM-like package w/ the new Deadeye Quartermaster.

Here's the list atm:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Island
    4 Saprazzan Skerry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Deadeye Quartermaster
    1 Fell Flagship
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lookout's Dispersal
    4 Rishadan Brigand
    4 Rishadan Cutpurse
    4 Rishadan Footpad
    4 Siren's Ruse
    1 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

*edit, this is NOT "The List"
    Last edited by f7eleven; 09-28-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Re: Pirate Stompy

4 Quartermaster (and ways to blink it) seems too many with only three targets. Maybe cut a few for Snapcaster Mage?

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Is this the list?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Lookout's Dispersal seems awful. If you want that effect you have Mana Leak, and that's always 2 mana.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Worth splashing White for Cloudshift? Blinks for a white. Also opens up sideboard options.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

With Chalice, probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Ghostly Flicker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

If the deck is splashing white, would Brago and Astral Slide be in consideration?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Assuming this isn't a hilarious and impressively coordinated trolling effort (a Ruse, even), is there some way to abuse Hostage Taker and Siren's Ruse to either generate an insane amount of value or combo off? Trying to figure out whether you can loop the ETB and triggers somehow.

Dispersal is almost definitely wrong.

Chalice might not be correct either, I'm not sure yet. I think the better choice is either thorn of amethyst or sphere of resistance, since we want them to tap out not sit on dead spells -- that said chalice is just so good it might just be autoinclude.

Has anyone considered snap? Generates mana with sol lands and allows more rebuys of pirates and is another target for snapcaster.

Also, I've heard mention this is a "combo" deck, whereas right now stompy != combo. Does helm of awakening belong? It seems like a heavy non-bo with the mana-denial plan, but then again it allows for some cool interactions with snap, snapcaster and ruse.
    Last edited by Kaono; 09-28-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    Dispersal is almost definitely wrong.

Chalice is probably not correct either, I think the better choice is either thorn of amethyst or sphere of resistance, since we want them to tap out.

Has anyone considered snap? Generates mana with sol lands and allows more rebuys of pirates and is another target for snapcaster.
    Snap Snapcaster Snap would be the dream.

Jun 2015
    NYC

One thing I find infuriating about this community is that as soon as someone has something, everyone else feels like they're automatically entitled to it. Have you guys considered that if a team of players spent a long time developing a deck that breaks the format, maybe you should let them keep it to themselves for at least one big tournament? I know these guys and I know how hard they worked on it.

I'm wondering if mods would consider locking this thread until the owners of this information decide to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    One thing I find infuriating about this community is that as soon as someone has something, everyone else feels like they're automatically entitled to it. Have you guys considered that if a team of players spent a long time developing a deck that breaks the format, maybe you should let them keep it to themselves for at least one big tournament? I know these guys and I know how hard they worked on it.

I'm wondering if mods would consider locking this thread until the owners of this information decide to share it.
    If anything your comment should be removed for being wildly off-topic. People are discussing a deck here, any meta discussion about "entitlement" or whatever you're harping about should go elsewhere. Keep in the mind the creators of the deck played it publicly on MTGO, therefore their right to privacy has flown out the window completely.

Back to the conversation at hand regarding the deck, another option to consider is something like Urza's Incubator. It's agonizingly slow, but set on human (which cavern should be set to as well) it provides a nice engine.
    Last edited by Kaono; 09-29-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    If anything your comment should be removed for being wildly off-topic. People are discussing a deck here, any meta discussion about "entitlement" or whatever you're harping about should go elsewhere. Keep in the mind the creators of the deck played it publicly on MTGO, therefore their "right" to "privacy" has flown out the window completely.
    Where exactly did I use the words 'right' or 'privacy'?

Nobody has a 'right' to anything obviously - not the team that broke Pirates, and not the people here. That said, I think that the ethical thing to do when people create something is to let them have it for a while. Not everyone is going to agree with me, but I don't think that's a crazy thing to believe.

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

I'm crushing it on Cockatrice with a similar list.

I feel like this could be the next thunderbluff. Hope we don't end up back to Anaba Grunt power levels.
    Only posts when drunk.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post

Exactly this happened with nic fit. To this day the creator of the thread has not given credits to the playgroup that developed the first version of it. In any case, not playing Hostage Taker is probably wrong.

Jun 2015
    NYC

That's kinda funny actually, cause Nic Fit is Popeye Stompy's (can someone please note that that's the official deckname, always has been) only bad matchup.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

People are the worst. Not even one bit of credit towards the actual deck developers.

At least people stealing credit is happening on a pirate deck.

When the real developers of this deck reveal their list, let's close this thread and start a proper one.
    -rob

In a game with as many players as Magic has, there's bound to be dozens of "creators" behind every single deck. For example, was this deck created by these guys de novo, or is just a logical outgrowth of Faerie Stompy? Should we be crediting Eldariel here, or the creator of the first aggro-prison deck in general, or what?

Please keep discussion on topic and limited to the deck itself.

Here is what I have come up with (this is not "the list"):

4x Chrome Mox

4x Rishadan Brigrand
    4x Rishadan Cutpurse
    4x Rishadan Footpad
    4x Snapcaster MAge

4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Siren's Ruse
    4x Snap

4x Gitaxian Probe

4x Ancient Tomb
    2x City of Traitors
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    2x Polluted Delta
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Scalding Tarn
    2x Saprazzan Skerry

Some notes:
    I don't think this archetype is very good. Yes it does beat the Czech Pile and 4 color control decks with relative ease, but it seriously struggles against delver. It's hard to play around counterspells without Cavern of Souls, and a resolved Young Pyromancer is basically game over.

Thread Information